• Published 8th Feb 2020
  • 746 Views, 21 Comments

The Washout Program (2e) - AzuraKeres



The Washouts were on an tour across Equestria when Lightning's crew got injured during practice. Now hospitalized for the rest of the tour, Lightning is forced to find replacements. How in Equestria did she end up with a young griffon and dragon?

  • ...
0
 21
 746

Chapter 5

“Alright guys,” Spitfire voiced before Smolder and Gallus. “Today is our last performance for this tour. I want you guys to show everything you’ve learned and have a great time out there, alright?”

“Yes ma’am,” the students said with a salute. It was pretty much a habit that developed with their supervisor.

“Since this is the last day,” Lightning entered the tent. “I think it’s about time you really represent the program, don't you agree?” Before Spitfire could ask what Lightning meant by that, Lighting pulled a uniform into the tent and held it before Spitfire.

“Oh no,” Spitfire stepped back. “There’s no way I’m putting that on me.”

“C’mon captain Spitfire,” Smolder voiced. “You’re Washout like us.”

“Yeah,” Gallus joined. “We’re supposed to be a team here.”

“You guys can’t be serious,” Spitfire turned to the students.

“Pleeeaaase,” Gallus and Smolder beseeched their supervisor. Their plea inevitably got the best of Spitfire and she begrudgingly dawned the Washout uniform.

“How does it feel to be a Washout?” Lighting asked with a grin.

“Wrong,” Spitfire answered. “Weird, uncomfortable, and every bad thing I can think of.”

“Don’t be a spoil-sport,” Lightning chuckled. “It’s for the kids, remember? Now how about we take a group picture?”

“Don't push it,” Spitfire said.


Their last performance took place at a stage at Manehattan, where Lightning’s astonishingly talented crewmates performed before the largest crowd of ponies and creatures that the Washouts have ever gathered. Short Fuse and Rolling Thunder are definitely going to be disappointed to miss out on this.

Lightning and Spitfire observed them from the stadium entrance as Spitfire began, “You know, I got to say, I’m kind of impressed you haven’t done anything to screw this up.”

“Not like you were giving me any options,” Lightning said. “You could have ended everything I’ve built if I didn’t do things your way.”

“You're still not getting it, aren’t you?”

“What’s there to get,” Lightning voiced. “All these safety precautions you added to their stunts are messing with the art of the trick. You never understood that. It’s probably why you kicked me out of the Wonderbolts.”

“Lightning, I always knew how great of a flier you were. I’m not blind to the potential you had. I had honestly hoped to have you and Rainbow Dash on the team, but that constant disregard for the safety of others made things complicated. I couldn’t let my own bias hurt the team and you made it impossible for me to consider you when you were so against changing your attitude.”

“That’s because you don’t get me!”

Spitfire sighed and rubbed her temple. “Fine then, then why not enlighten me. Why do you think precaution is a bad thing?”

“All I want is to prove my worth,” Lighting Dust answered. “I trained so hard to be a Wonderbolt because I wanted to feel like I mattered."

"Matter to who? Did your friends and family doubt you or something?"

"Of course not! But it's not their opinion that mattered most to me."

"Then who?"

"Me, okay!" Lightning flared her wings. "I wanted to feel like I mattered to myself."

"Wait, so you didn't have confidence in yourself. That kind sounds hard to believe."

"That's because I didn't want no pony to know. Look, the reason I even wanted to become a Wonderbolt was because ponies kept saying how much of a good flyer I was after I left summer flight camp. So, I figured if I trained hard enough, I could be a Wonderbolt."

"So, you were trying to find where you fit in the world, huh? Most ponies would have that figured out from their cutie mark."

"I got mine randomly on summer flight camp. I don't even remember when and how I got it. But who cares, it's not like it matters now. I'm a Washout now."

"And is this as fulfilling as you hoped?"

"Why wouldn't it? I have no one to hold me back anymore. And all the crowd love it."

"And what about Smolder and Gallus," Spitfire pointed at the two creatures that were performing on the field. "How do you feel about teaching them everything you know?"

"What? I had fun with them, what's that supposed to mean?" Lightning gazed at the two that she had personally prepared for all the tricks and wonders they wowed the crowds with. She couldn't help but smile, knowing that she's the one that readied them for this. It was actually a weird feeling. She had words to truly describe it, but if she could put in a phrase: it felt good.

"Must feel weird to have pride in some creature else, huh?"

"Why? Is that the reason you became a captain?"

"I never had that in mind when I joined the wonderbolts," Spitfire admitted. "But once I started and I realized how much it felt right to me. Maybe we're the same in that regard."

"You think so," Lightning perked.

"I mean, if you can ensure their safety the best you can, I bet it'd be nice for you."

"What can I say,” Lightning shrugged. “I have a knack for going all-in."

"I get that's a bad habit of yours, but maybe don't apply that to your students. The goal is to make sure they're ready."

"Wait," Lightning gazed at the field. "What's Gallus doing?"


'The Vector Rainboom', a stunt that involves a cannon shooting out another cannon high above the clouds and then shoots out its performer to give an unimaginable initial speed to achieve the Sonic Rainboom. Gallus had watched Lightning construct the equipment in between their shows and even offered a helping claw.

Gallus never figured her out for a mechanic. She told him that she learned all the bits from her father who was an engineer for the weather factory at Cloudsdale.

Lightning had shared her secret final stunt for the tour and grandiose it to be the epitome of what meant to be a Washout. That was all he needed to hear to convince him to do it. Because if he can do it, then Lightning is sure to acknowledge him.

"So, what's this you're doing," Gallus's oblivious friend asked as she watched him jump inside a cannon that was inside another cannon. Because I don't really see this ending well."

"Just sit back and watch," Gallus popped his head out of the cannon. "You're about to see a real Washout at work."

"Okay…" Smolder hesitantly backed away from the cannon after she lit the fuse.

"Wait," Lightning shouted as she and Spitfire rushed toward them. "Don't let him do it!"

But it was too late. The cannon had fired Gallus immediately into the sky. The crowd cheered at the spectacle, unaware of the danger that the griffon had put himself in.

"That idiot," Spitfire voiced. "He's going to get himself hurt."

"Wait," Smolder widened. "You mean he wasn't supposed to be doing this?"

Lightning observed where the cannon shot up to and then angled the cannon on the ground toward a different direction to the sky.

"Smolder," Lightning started as she put on her helmet. "I need you to shoot me up there. I'm going to catch him."

"How're you going to pull that off," Spitfire asked.

"He's going to attempt a Rainboom, but I'm positive he doesn't have what it takes to pull himself up to create the boom. So, I'm going to give him a push."

"You sure that's going to work," Smolder voiced.

"It's all we got right now," Lightning jumped into the cannon. "Now shoot me!"


Gallus took a deep breath while he waited for the delayed fire from the cannon, he was hauled in. In a few seconds, he’s got to be shot at a speed that he’s never had any experience in. But that’s okay. Lighting had already explained how she planned out all the maneuvers to get this right. All he needs to do is follow the plan.

As he exhaled, the launch happened. In less than a second, his wings and his entire body were being squashed by unimaginable wind pressure. Thank Celestia he had his helmet on, or else he would worry that his face would have torn off.

Already he can see the stadium below him. Gallus began to angle his wings to begin the loop. However, his sights began to be clouded by rainbow colors and the strong winds kept his wings bound in a single direction. He tried to heave his wings to change direction, but the winds overwhelmed and constricted him. He couldn’t change his course. He was going to crash.

The high winds muffled his screaming as he shut his eyes from the reality of his impending doom. He didn’t think this would happen. All he wanted to do was impress her.

As he waited for his end, he was surprised by a sudden force that shoved him. His eyes opened and he saw Lighting Dust wrapped around his torso. A sudden boom then blared his ears as another force lifted the two higher to the sky.

His wings ached from the countless pressures and gave out as Lightning heaved him up. But the two were descending fast and so Lighting gilded as fast she could to nearby forest that was close to the city.

Their landing was not pleasant. The branches intervened in Lightning's balance and the two ended up being cushioned by the bushes below on the ground.

Lightning immediately threw off the helmet from herself and shouted, “Gallus! Where you at!?”

“Here,” Gallus groaned as he struggled to move his body from a bush. His entire body felt sore after the stunt he pulled. Lightning traced her voice and pulled him up. “Ow, ow, ow.”

“You’ll live,” Lighting said. “But you shouldn’t have done that. I didn’t make that trick for you.”

“I’m sorry,” Gallus said. “I just really wanted to prove to you that I could be a real Washout.”

“What’re you talking about,” Lighting wondered. “You were already one when I decided to take you along for this whole thing.”

“That’s not what you said at your tent.”

“Oh...You heard that.”

“I didn’t want you to think that I was some coward that was too scared to take on risks. I’m a big fan of what you do and you recruiting me was the biggest honor I’ve ever felt. I didn’t want to disappoint you.”

“You never did Gallus,” Lighting sighed. “I was just being stubborn about my ideals, as much I hate to admit.”

“You were?”

“Yeah,” Lighting rubbed the back of her head. “Maybe all the constant danger isn’t the best thing for everything. I mean, you’re still a newbie in all of this. So, I shouldn’t dump all of the risky stuff on you.”

“But I can do it! Just let me--”

“That’s not what I meant,” Lightning snapped. “I’m trying to say that maybe I should have more consideration about the safety of my friends. Sure, being a Washout means to pull off all the cool stunts but making sure you’re safe while doing it can have to be a thing too.”

“Why?” Gallus was confused.

“Well…,” Lightning awkwardly rubbed the back of her head. “When I saw you doing what you did, I got scared. I felt that I was pushing you into something that you weren’t ready for and I didn’t like how that felt. Heh, maybe that’s what Spitfire was trying to knock into my head.”

“Does that mean I failed you,” Gallus anxiously asked.

“What do you mean?” Lightning chuckled. “You never did. You’ve been a good sport through this entire program. You and Smolder made this very fun for me.”

“T-thank you.”

“C’mon, let’s head back. Spitfire and Smolder must be freaking out right about now.”


“I must admit,” Starlight began. “I didn’t expect this program to be this much of a success. Smolder and Gallus learned so much about marketing with the sales of the Washout merch. They also happened to have a fundamental grasp of engineering with the equipment you’ve modified and built for their stunts. But most of all, they made an astonishingly positive review of their entire experience in their essay.”

Lightning sat before Starlight in her the Headmare’s office and responded, “I’m not surprised. Spitfire did say I make a good teacher.”

“Did she now,” Starlight said. “Well, I guess she and I were thinking the same.”

“Really?”

“Lightning Dust,” Starlight continued. “It’s only been half a year since Princess Twilight has elected me as the Headmare of the friendship school. So far, it’s been going well, but that’s mostly because of the ponies I have helping me manage the school. Some of Twilight’s friends had stuck around to help me catch my bearings, but they aren’t planning to stick around forever. They have their own careers to commit, so I’m in need of ponies I trust to take their place.”

“Are you asking what I think you’re asking?”

“If it’s asking you to become a teacher of the friendship school, then yes.”

“I... uh,” Lightning started. “I didn’t think that was a possibility. You really think I would fit in this place?”

“I saw how much the students like you, and it seemed that Spitfire finally got through to you about your issue.”

“Wait, did you hire her for that purpose?”

“Of course not,” Starlight said. “I just figured she would be the best to butt heads with you. So, think it’s cool enough to be a teacher here?”

“I... I can’t,” Lightning turned away. “I mean, I still have the Washouts to manage. Rolling Thunder and Short Fuse are going to be leaving the hospital soon. I can’t just quit on them.”

Starlight sighed. “I understand. You want to be there for your friends. Just know that my offer still stands if you’re interested.”

“Thanks, but I don’t think I’m leaving the Washouts anytime soon.”


“What do you mean you two are quitting the Washouts!” Lighting shouted at her crewmates that she followed out of the hospital.

“It’s exactly what it means,” Rolling Thunder plainly said. “I need to head back home. My mother is at the hospital.”

“Well okay,” Lighting Dust said. “But that doesn’t mean you can’t come back.”

“Look Lightning, I’ve been thinking about this a lot since I got the news. The fishing industry my family runs isn’t what you might call awesome, but it does mean something to me. And with my mother’s health, some pony is going to have to give my pops and brother a hoof.”

“Fine,” Lighting relented. “But what about you Short Fuse? You don’t have any family duties to deal with.”

“Nope,” Short Fuse said. “But I’ve been hearing words about this really good motivational speaker at Southern Equestria. Did you know the pony also happens to be one of the six pillars? Maybe if I talk to her, I could figure some stuff out about myself.”

“You got life issues?”

“Don’t act like you don’t as well,” Short Fuse glared accusingly at Lightning. “I’m just trying to find a way to deal with mines. So why not do something about yours?”

“So... We’re disbanded?” Lightning asked. “Just like that?”

“Hey,” Rolling slapped her hoof on Lighting’s shoulder. “It was fun while it lasted. From what I heard, you ended it with a bang at the last performance of the tour. Who’d thought you had it in you to do a Sonic Rainboom.”

“Well, not really,” Lightning admitted. “I actually had some help with that.”

“We know,” Short Fuse said. “Those creatures you had were not bad. Did you really teach them all that stuff?”

“Well yeah,” Lightning said.

“Shot in the dark,” Rolling Thunder said. “But have you ever thought of being a teacher?”

“Why does every pony keep saying that!?”

“Either way,” Rolling Thunder chuckled as she stepped back from Lightning and held out her hoof. “It was nice working with ya.”

“...Yeah,” Lightning placed her hoof atop Rolling's hoof.

“Don’t act like this is goodbye,” Short Fuse pushed his hoof under theirs. “We’ll still be seeing each other. We’re friends after all.”

“The very best I have,” Lightning confirmed.


Starlight entered the lounge room of the school as she poured a coffee in a mug to start another day at the school. She took a small gulp, but then dropped her hold of it when the door slammed open.

“Hey Starlight,” Lightning voiced as she rushed before the mare. “That offer is still open, right?”

“Fetch me another mug, then maybe I’ll consider it.”