• Published 19th Aug 2012
  • 3,060 Views, 19 Comments

The Apple of My Eye - Brian Jacko



Applejack struggles with depression.

  • ...
5
 19
 3,060

Welcome Back

Droplets fell on Applejacks face. She opened her eyes and saw Rainbow Dash sobbing over her.

Rainbow Dash realized that her eyes had opened and she fell backwards in surprise. She stuttered to find words. "Applejack! Y-y-y-you're alive? I thought you were gone! I missed you so much!" Rainbow Dash hugged her friend as tightly as she could.

Applejack still dazed and confused picked her head up. She rubbed her head with her hoof and said, "Why am I still here?"

Rainbow Dash let go of her and said, "I was flying by, looking for you, and you were hanging by a rope. I came down and took you out of it, but I thought it was too late and that you were gone."

"Why in tarnations would ya do that, Rainbow Dash?" Applejack asked angrily.

Rainbow Dash continued, "Because you're one of my best friends and I can't let you go like that."

Applejack looked down at the ground and cried again.

Rainbow Dash put her front leg around her shoulder and cried with her too. "Why did you try to do it?" the blue mare asked.

Applejack picked up her head and said, "Well, there are many reasons. It all started out as jealously and feelin's of worthlessness. I was jealous of you and Twilight Sparkle. You and your wings and Twilight Sparkle with her magic. I realized that I was just a simple earth pony who had no special gifts, other than to buck apples off trees. Sure I loved my job, but it was always my dream to fly with you Rainbow Dash and I'm stuck here on the ground all day. When I see you fly around or when Twilight Sparkle starts to use her magic, I can't help but feel bitter in my heart, because I can't do those same things. When you all came to rescue me from Discord, I soon realized what a bad pony I am for ruinin' our town and for betrayin' ya'll. I don't think I can ever forgive myself for that, and I'm terrified of what the Princess is goin' to do to me. I could have killed ya'll."

Rainbow Dash cried even more as the tears just kept coming and coming. She embraced her friend with another hug and said, "Applejack, it's OK. You are not a bad pony for what happened. I wish you would have talked to me about it before all of this. I understand that it must be incredibly depressing and difficult to go through life without wings or magic, but that's what makes you so much stronger than the rest of us. You proved to me that a pony can live an amazing life and be an incredible friend without those abilities. I personally can't imagine what life would be like knowing that I wouldn't be able to fly again, but I understand that your grief and suffering must be great. You are such a special friend of mine and I do not think I could be able to deal with life without you. I love you so much! Please, don't you ever try to leave me again."

Applejack thought about this for a moment. She felt a little bit guilty that she tried to leave her friends behind. She put her hoof on Rainbow Dash's shoulder and said, "Sugar cube, I'm so sorry that I tried to leave ya'll. I'll never do anythin' like that again. I promise. Will ya forgive me?"

Rainbow Dash nodded yes, as she wiped the tears away from her eyes and said, "Yes, I forgive you."

Applejack looked down at the ground and said, "Hey Rainbow Dash, will you take me for a little ride?"

Rainbow Dash looked up and smiled. She said, "Sure! Hop on my back!"

Applejack did and they took off into the sky.

Rainbow Dash flew above the clouds with her and they watched a beautiful pink and purple sky together for a moment. Rainbow Dash looked back at her and said, "Are you ready for this A.J?"

"Oh, I'm ready Rainbow Dash," Applejack replied. Applejack made sure that her hat was tight around her head.

Rainbow Dash took off flying as fast as she could. This would be difficult for her to perform a sonic rainboom with another pony on her back, but she was desperate to make Applejack happy again. She broke the sound barrier and a loud bang came from the sky. There, across the sky, the couple flew, leaving a trail of rainbow behind them.

Applejack tightened her hooves around Rainbow Dash's neck. "You doing OK back there A.J?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"I'm doin' fine R.D. Thank you," Applejack said as she smiled.

Together they landed in a grassy field.

Applejack hopped off of Rainbow Dash's back and hugged her friend. "I never told ya this Rainbow Dash, but I love you so much. You're the very best friend I could ever ask for. You're my hero. Thank you for saving me. Especially after how I behaved."

Rainbow Dash embraced her and said, "No Applejack. You're my hero for being able to go through so many problems in life without wings or magic. I should have realized you were depressed and I should have appreciated you more, instead of treating you like competition." Rainbow Dash put her front leg around Applejack's neck and together they finished watching the sun go down in the sky.


Night time settled in and Rainbow Dash offered to take Applejack home. Applejack was too tired to walk, so Rainbow Dash offered her a lift. They flew through Ponyville, heading to Sweet Apple Acres, but Rainbow Dash suddenly went off course and headed to Twilight Sparkle's house.

"Where the hay are you goin' Rainbow Dash?" Applejack asked.

"You'll see. Just trust me A.J." Rainbow Dash replied.

When they touched ground, Applejack hopped off of her back and followed Rainbow Dash into Twilight Sparkle's house.

All the girls were shocked to see Applejack. They all ran over to her and hugged her.

Applejack sat down and explained what had happened.

Every pony was very understanding and sorry that they never gave Applejack the proper appreciation that she so deserved. They understood about her depression and struggles.

Pinkie Pie suddenly confessed, "Well, I'm an earth pony and I have never had any of those depressed feelings."

Applejack laughed and said, "Pinkie Pie, that's because you’re manic!"

Pinkie Pie giggled and nodded her head in agreement.

Twilight Sparkle looked over to Applejack and said, "We're so glad that you're safe. I couldn't imagine life without you. You're such an important part of the team."

All the other girls nodded in agreement. They continued to talk about Applejack's problems and they offered her help whenever she needed it.

It was getting very late and every pony had to go home. Twilight Sparkle offered Applejack to stay over at her house to sleep tonight. She accepted the offer.