• Published 17th Dec 2019
  • 1,221 Views, 13 Comments

Being Homeless - Hope

  • ...
1
 13
 1,221

Chapter 1.

Rainbow Dash chuckled as she put a hoof to Fluttershy’s shoulder.

“That’s cool and all, but I’ve got some chores I need to do, ok? Just… Got a busy evening. But tomorrow I’ll stop by to help with your chores.”

“You don’t have to help with chores,” Fluttershy said softly, but she smiled as she gave Rainbow a hug.

“Yeah, I know I don’t have to. But it’s what I do. See you Shy.”

Rainbow returned the embrace briefly before taking flight, and zipping off into the sky. Her home was nearby, and as she approached she noticed the sun setting just right behind it to light up the place, the white clouds glowing orange.

She grinned, and landed on a balcony before stepping inside, only for Tank to fly towards her at top speed.

Just barely catching him, Rainbow laughed. “Jeez buddy, you’ve got to slow down, might end up out above the forest or something.”

She gave him a noogie, set him down on the floor, and then focused on her chores. Of course, when she said chores she really meant making a sandwich and falling asleep on the couch as the TV played the fiftieth rerun of some random cartoons.

It was a simple life, but a good one.

But just as she was starting to fall asleep, there was a rumble in the distance, and a soft boom.

She frowned, and brushed her half eaten sandwich off her stomach to look out of the window. Clear skies, no rain or thunderstorms scheduled for tonight or even the rest of the week. It wasn’t even high static zoned, to where you could get dry lightning.

Rainbow groaned, rubbed her eyes, and got off the sofa. She made it to the phone and picked it up to call in to the Weather Services, when there was a boom again, much much closer.

That, Rainbow Dash knew, was not the sound of thunder. It was the sound of something coming out of a sonic rainboom.

But before she could act on that news, something blasted through her house on a sharp diagonal, leaving gaping holes in the cloud structure and exposing the crystalline hover support beams, even cracking one in half and leaving some chunk of metal smoking on top of the beam, burning the clouds away around it.

Then, a split second later, there was a much louder boom as the thing, whatever it was, impacted the meadow below and probably exploded.

She stared at the smouldering wreckage in her living room. She looked up through the holes in the upper layers, to see the darkening sky, and she swallowed her fear before dialing emergency services instead.

“ES, what is your emergency?”

“Something… just broke my house,” Rainbow Dash said incredulously, still staring at the hole.

“This is Rainbow Dash, Cloud house 4, Markley Meadow?” the mare on the line asked.

“Yeah, Bright Siren, everypony knows where I live,” Rainbow said as she rolled her eyes. “Just… Can you send somepony? Maybe Twilight too? Ugh, I’ll get Twilight. But the meadow might be on fire.”

“Of course, Ms. Dash,” Siren said, still in a very serious tone.

Dash rolled her eyes and mouthed along with her, before hanging up. “Gah, so serious, it’s an emergency not, like, an emergency or something.”

She then dialed Twilight’s number.

“Rainbow! There may be a star falling in the region of Ponyville in the next hour or so!” Twilight said the moment she picked up the phone.

Rainbow took the phone away from her ear and sighed, rubbing her eye with one hoof before dragging her cheek down in sheer exasperation.

“Yeah. Yeah, Twi, it went through my house.”

There was a long silence on the line, before Twilight finally spoke.

“Can… Can I come look a--”

“Yes! You can take the thing if you want, I don’t care, but it broke my house, Twi!”

“Oh!” Twilight said cheerfully, and Rainbow could hear the smile on her voice. “Then you can come stay with me for a bit while we get it fixed, Dash! It’ll be ok, it’ll be fine. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Then she hung up, and left Rainbow staring at the phone in horror.

“Live… With Twilight. In the castle, are you fff….. Are you KIDDING ME?!” she shouted as she looked around and found Tank cowering in the corner.

She stared at him in his beady little eyes. “We are not living with Twi. I love her, she’s great, but she’s also the worst pony in the world to be lazy around. I’d be cleaning dishes every day for the rest of my life.”

She put him in his cage before finally flying out and down into the meadow as a trio of police pegusi landed to inspect the crater.

“Hey! Hey yeah you three!” Rainbow shouted as she landed with a heavy thud. “Twilight’s coming to look at that, what can you do about my house?!” she asked, wincing a bit at how her voice pitched up when she was angry.

“We can take a statement,” one of them said hesitantly. “But we aren’t insurance or anything like that.”

“Statement?!” Rainbow laughed. “Statement, you need a statement?! This thing crashed through my house! That’s the statement, that’s it.”

“Ma’am, I’m going to have to ask you to calm down,” one of the other officers said sternly.

Rainbow looked between them, gaping. “You all know that I’m one of the elements of harmony, right? I’m kind of a big deal.”

“Rainbow, we’re just doing our jobs,” the first officer sighed. “We just have to get a statement, and if that’s your statement, then that’s fine.”

Rainbow huffed and turned away, crossing her arms and trying to let her anger evaporate until Twilight finally arrived.

“We need a quarantine, one mile in every direction,” Twilight said immediately. “I’ve also contacted Celestia already, she’s sending a crew to help us, but for now we need to seal everything off.”

“Twilight, I can’t live with you,” Rainbow said immediately. “Please.”

Twilight paused and looked to Rainbow, confused. “I… Rainbow, what’s wrong? We can figure something out.”

“What’s wrong? Twi, my house! Some… thing just punched a hole in my house.”

Twilight stepped up to her and put her hooves on Rainbow’s shoulders.

“Rainbow Dash. I know you’re upset. I know that you’re going through a lot so quickly. If you’re not comfortable staying with me, is there anyone you’d be comfortable staying with?”

Rainbow’s steam evaporated. She couldn’t help it, Twilight always knew how to pull the rug out from under her when she was on a roll.

“I think… AJ’s barn would be better. So I can just… be lazy when I want to be,” Rainbow sighed, rubbing her head.

“Ok, then go ahead and talk to her, I’ll--”


There was a sudden sharp loud noise from the crater that made everypony jump a bit and look.

Then, a moment later, it beeped again, just as loud.

“What in the world?!” Rainbow shouted. “What is that?”

“It’s just… I don’t know, let’s move back,” Twilight said cautiously as she backed away.

“No, I’m not going to let some freaky thing plow through my house and then threaten us!”

Twilight reached out to grab Rainbow as she took off, but missed. Then, she reached out with her magic, but Rainbow managed to blow through it and hit the black hunk of metal in the middle of the crater, with a resounding thud.

The beeping stopped, and Rainbow grinned.

“See! I g--”

The thing made a whining groaning noise, and then a pop, and some glowing white powder floated up from the object, drifting across Rainbow.

She immediately started hopping around, trying to brush it off. “Ah, ah, ow, it’s hot!”

“Stars and stones,” Twilight groaned, grimacing as she cast a spell which scrubbed across Rainbow’s body at high speed and removed everything down to her skin. “That was probably fuel. Some sort of caustic fuel, Rainbow. Please, we need to get you washed off, in case it’s poisonous.”

It took half an hour, Rainbow knew because she was watching the clock the entire time as she was taken to the hospital, quarantined, and washed off with a sour smelling chemical bath, before finally being put in a hospital bed.

The entire time, she scowled. It wasn’t fair, and she was really starting to get sick of this whole evening.

But Twilight kept apologizing, which forced Rainbow to say it was fine, even though it wasn’t fine, and so she couldn’t blow up and yell at anypony.

Then, surprisingly, Fluttershy showed up.

“Rainbow, Rainbow, I got Tank. And some of your things, AJ said you were going to stay with her?”

Rainbow Dash blushed and shrugged, now she really couldn’t be angry. Her friends were stepping up for her.

“I… Yeah, Shy. I’m probably going to stay in AJ’s barn until I’ve got my house back. No way I’m cut out to live in the castle or, you know, anywhere else where ponies wake up at the crack of dawn.”

Fluttershy paused and processed everything she’d said, before she cleared her throat. “Um… Rainbow, you know that AJ wakes up earlier than I do, right?”

“Yeah, but they don’t live in their barn, they always joke about it too, were you raised in a barn?” she said in a mock southern accent.

“But then they go outside and get things from the barn to do their work,” Fluttershy gently reminded her.

Rainbow stared at the wall, as she got progressively more angry again.

“But… Um, I usually don’t wake up until ten,” Fluttershy offered with a nervous smile.

Rainbow looked to her meek friend and tilted her head a little. “Shy… you don’t want me in your house. Trust me.”

“Why not?” she huffed, sitting down. “Dash, I think I can handle you being a little lazy, it’s fine. You’re dealing with a lot, and need a place to stay. It’s what friends do.”

“And crumbs on the floor?” Rainbow asked with an arched brow.

“My mice will eat them,” Fluttershy replied way too quickly.

“And never doing my dishes?” Rainbow continued.

“I’ve got an automatic dishwasher. There are some nice things about living on the ground.”

“I snore.”

“I sleep like a hibernating bear.”

“I like to have the TV playing all the time.”

“That’s fine, Angel will love it!”

They were practically nose to nose, both breathing heavily, as AJ walked in and looked between them, clearly worried.

“Y’all about to throw a few kicks? Ah can get security.”

“No, AJ, Rainbow was just agreeing to stay at my place,” Fluttershy said decisively.

“Sounds good,” AJ nodded, appearing completely untroubled. “Can sleep in a bit longer there, I reckon.”

Rainbow nodded. “Yeah, exactly. I mean… Shy, I didn’t agree yet,” she said, remembering she was upset.

“Are you going to get woken up at 7 every morning at the very latest when AJ comes into the barn to get her plow and seeds?” Fluttershy retorted, tilting her head down to give an extra incredulous look.

Rainbow grumbled as she looked between Shy and AJ, and finally threw her hooves up in the air. “Fine, fine. I’ll stay with you, Shy. I just… I’ll need to get some stuff from my house.”

“Ain’t happenin’ sugarcube,” AJ said calmly. “We got all we were allowed, jus’ about. The rest is contami… spoilt.”

“Contaminated,” Fluttershy corrected.

AJ nodded, smiling.

Rainbow stared, and tried to imagine what it would be like to really punch AJ. Like really haul off and hit her. Would AJ even flinch? Probably not. She’d take it like a champ and then knock Rainbow on her rear so hard that she couldn’t walk straight for a week.

“So… It’s gone. Everything I own is gone,” Rainbow clarified.

“Eeyup,” AJ confirmed.

Rainbow shot out of the bed, but Fluttershy had been ready and tackled her to the ground.

“Rainbow stop!”

“I’m gonna hit ya, AJ! Calm cool and collected my rainbow colored a--”

She grunted as AJ sat on her back and pinned her wings to the floor.

“Whatcher gonna do now, Dash?” AJ asked, still unwaveringly cool.

“Gonna… Gonna…”

It finally happened, her anger broke, and the scream of rage bottomed out in a deep sob, finally leaving her laying on the floor crying as AJ and Fluttershy held her.

“I can’t… Why, why is all this happening now?” Rainbow whimpered.

“Ain’t got a reason,” AJ said gently. “Just happened, and it ain’t right, but we’ll get ya back on yer hooves. It’ll be alright. It’ll be alright.”

Rainbow didn’t believe her, but she let the comfort be, because she needed it so badly.