• Published 30th Nov 2019
  • 1,269 Views, 22 Comments

The F.a.S.T (Fantasy and Speculation Tournament) - VentesDemon



Discord pits heroes and villains from across time to battle in The Tournament….mostly for his amusement.

  • ...
2
 22
 1,269

Smoulder vs Applejack/Ahuizotl vs Daydream Shimmer

Round 1 Bracket 4-B


“So. Retirement huh?” Celestia turned and faced Daydream as she stood before her, a confused smile on her former pupil’s face. “When did that happen?”

The eldest Alicorn gave a sad smile. “In truth, after I took you on as my personal student.” The human girls face expressed shock. “Having ruled Equestria for over a thousand years, I think I’m entitled to a chance at retirement. So, I sought out gifted ponies I thought could take my place one day. Which is how I found Cadence after she had ascended.” The two looked at the pink Alicorn as she spoke with Shining and Rutherford. “However, to spare her from having to rule alone, I kept an eye out for other ponies who might rule beside her.” She leaned against Luna. “As Luna and I had long ago.”

“So…you really were preparing me…?” Daydream said softly as she looked away from the two sister, ashamed.

“Don’t blame yourself, Sunset.” Celestia stepped towards the girl and nuzzled her. “I am at fault for failing to see what you truly needed to succeed.” She pulled away, using her hoof to guide Daydream’s eyes to hers. “If it’s any comfort, the time we spent together showed me how best to teach Twilight. And as a result…” The two friends looked towards Twilight, who was chatting with Rainbow, Spike, and Applejack. “…Helped her become the great leader and friend she is today.”

Daydream gave a sad smile. “Every cloud has a silver lining, i suppose.”

“Well said, young Sunset.” Luna complemented as she stood beside her sister, smiling up at the pony turned human.

She eyed the dark Alicorn with playful grin. “Wait. Celestia’s retiring because she ruled for over a thousand years, non stop. So why are you retiring?”

“I am a princess.” She said without hesitation with a cheeky smile of her own. “So long as there is someone to take my place, I can do whatever I want.” The three of them shared a kind laugh as the panel began to slow.

“Well, then. I’ll have to ask Twilight for another pair of magic journals. Now that you two have more free time, I’d like to keep in touch.”

“Or you could visit us.” Celestia suggested as she raises an eyebrow.

Daydream follow suit with her own. “I just might.” Just then, the first creature of the match was selected.

“Now then, thanks to some ‘persuasion’ on my part…” Discord leered at the selector as he spoke before addressing the creatures. “The final matches of the round are sure to be exciting! Next up, we have…Smoulder!”

“YES!” The young dragon screamed as she jumped into the air before shooting for the barrier separating the two spaces, glaring at Tirek. “You better hope that selector DOESN’T pick you, creep!” With that said she took off to the arena, leaving a perplexed Tirek in her wake.

“Was that suppose to be a threat?” He asks aloud, turning to Cozy glow, who just shrugs.

Smoulder lands on the gelatinous mass causing a pulse to ripple through it, transforming it into a volcanic crater with a single pool of lava. Spike hoovered in the air cheering on his friend as Garble stood beside him. “You got this Smoulder!”

“Of course she does.” Garble said as if it were obvious. “Unlike you and your pony friends, she wasn’t raised to fear anything!”

“Nether was I. But after seeing how powerful Tirek could be, I can appreciate being a little worried.” Spike had a mischievous grin. “Right Mr. Beat Dragon?” Garble gave Spike a look before crossing his arms and focused on his sisters match.

“And facing the young dragon will be…Applejack!”

“YEHAW! Time ta grab the bull by the horns, and move em out!” She swung her hat around in excitement as Rainbow and Twilight hovered around her.

“Good luck Applejack. Remember what I told you about dragons.” Twilight cautioned as the apple farmer trout by.

“She’s got nothing to worry about!” Rainbow said before turning to Applejack. “You got this, AJ!”

“Ah hear ya’ll.” She replied, reaching the entrance to the arena. “This is gonna be so much fun!” With a single leap she lands in the arena triggering it, morphing into her barn.

Smoulder and Applejack exchanged cocky looks. “Fair warning, Applejack. I’m not holding back even though your my professor.”

“Glad ta hear it. Otherwise…I’d have ya expelled.” The mare finished with a wink that made Smoulder blink, before chuckling.

“Good one, professor. You almost had me there.” She expected Applejack to join in her laughter. She didn’t. “You…are joking, aren’t you?” The mare answered by getting into a fighting stance.

“She is joking, isn’t she?” Both Yona and Gallus asked as they turned to face Twilight and Rainbow. Twilight simply giggled as Rainbow gave them a sinister grin that made the two students look at each other with worry. “DON’T HOLD BACK, SMOULDER!”

Discord appeared between the two friends as Smoulder got her head in the game. “Have I ever told you how much I enjoy watching you creatures?”

“Eat ah hat Discord, and start the match.” That earned her a few looks from her friends and the students as the Lord of Chaos laughed aloud.

“Whatever you say, Applejack. Let the match…Begin!” With a chop of his claw he vanished as the two creatures charged at each other. Smoulder took to the air as Applejack ran at her, but just as Smoulder was cocking her fist the farmer jumped into a slide. She ducked under the attack and bit down on the dragons tail as it came close. The momentum of the slide caused the two to stall in midair as Applejack was carried into the air, but as soon as she had her hooves on the ground she tossed her head to the side and slammed her student into the ground. As Smoulder tried to shake the stars from her vision, the mare spun her around and threw her at her barn, crashing through the wall and into whatever tools were in there.

“Come on, Smoulder! What was that?” Garble shouted in frustration. “Are you really gonna let a pony show you up?”

“Hey!” Rainbow shouted as she got in Garble’s face. “That pony is my friend! So Watch it, buddy!”

“Don’t think I forgot what you did the last time we met!” He said with a growl. “Taking my lava board and giving it to that pony!” He points at Flash Magnus, who blinks at the two.

“What lava board?”

“Your shield.” Rainbow replied. The Pillar looked at his shield as she continued to argue with Garble. “And technically, it was HIS shield long before you found it! So I just gave it back to him!”

“Like that matters to a dragon!”

“ENOUGH! BOTH OF YOU!” Both Ember and Twilight shouted, causing the two to finch.

Back in the arena Smoulder had climbed out of the barn as Applejack got her rope from her hat. “What'd ah say about holding back, Smoulder?” She called as the mare performed rope tricks. This angered the young dragon.

“Alright! You asked for it!” She took to the air and launched a breath of fire at the earthbound pony.

“Uh oh.” Cartwheeling to the side while still twirling her rope around, Applejack easily dodged the flame as it shot through the lasso at the end of the rope. With a toss of her head Applejack catches Smoulder by the fore claw, pulling her down to the ground as she charges the dragon. Smoulder landed hard on her legs before looking up to she the charging Applejack, launching another stream of fire as she approached.

A grin flashed on her face as Applejack launched herself up and over the flames, a collective gasp filled the air as Smoulder watched the pony soaring over her. Landing gracefully on her front hooves the apple farmer primed her legs as Smoulder turned to face her rival only to be buck in the chest and sent soaring through the air and splashing into the lava pool.

Daydream and Sunset stood with their jaws wide open; Daydream turned to Celestia as Sunset looked to Nightmare Moon, both of which had calm expressions on their faces. Suddenly Smoulder sprang from the lava spewing the molten rock from her maw as if it were water.

“I hope that wasn’t your best kick, teach!” Smoulder launched into the air, a claw full of lava as Applejack had been stretching her hind legs. “Dragons hit a lot harder then that!” She shouted as she threw the two lava balls at Applejack.

She leaped from side to side catching a small boulder with her rope, using it as a wrecking ball to attack Smoulder. The two danced around the arena firing blast of fire, slamming the boulder into the ground, missing. Finally, Applejack caught a break; one of Smoulder’s attacks caused another boulder to land beside the mare. In one continues move Applejack jumped behind the boulder and aimed her buck to launch it directly at the dragon. Right away she swung the boulder at the end of her rope to follow the first boulder.

Smoulder braced herself for the first boulder by getting ready to grab it, lifting it above her head as it contacted her claws. Her intent was to throw the boulder back at the mare, but hadn’t noticed the second boulder rocketing towards her. On instinct, the young dragon flew to the side letting the boulder she held fall as the second one flew by, failing to realize it was still attached to the rope.

With a jerk of her head Applejack maneuvered the rope to wrap around the dragon until the boulder smashed into her face with a force that caused her to cry out in pain as the boulder smashed to pieces. Garble, Ember, and Spike along with Yona, Gallus, Rainbow and Twilight all stood by the barrier, worried as she crashed onto the ground. Even Applejack began to think she had gone too far, taking a hesitant step forward only to stop as Smoulder began to rise to her feet, growling deeply.

“That’s IT!” Flames lick out of her maw as she roared, unleashing a large blast of flames. It came so fast Applejack barely had enough to time to avoid the brunt of the attack. Her entire right side of her body was burned as the force of the blast knocked her sliding towards her barn. The fire had incinerated the rope as Smoulder calmed down, her face turned to horror at the site she had created. “Applejack!” She shouted as she flew to the mares side, her breathing was laboured as she gave the dragon a pained smile.

“Ya…got me…real good, Smoulder.”

“Applejack, I’m so sorry! I didn’t…” She tried to continue but Applejack lifted her hoof to her face, waving it.

“Ah told ya…not ta…hold back…didn’t ah?” She grunts in pain. “Well, that’s it, then. Discord.” The draconequus appeared with a worried expression on his face as Applejack smiled at him. “Call it.”

“Whatever you say, Applejack.” Discord carefully picked up the mare. “Applejack is unable to continue. The winner is Smoulder.” As soon as they arrived beside Rainbow and Twilight, Discord had used his magic to undo the damage Applejack had suffered. Despite that, Mage still gave the pony a once over and even a calming brew to help Applejack to sleep.

“Magical cure or not, rest will always be the best medicine.” She added before stepping back to let the others gather round the beaten mare.

“You were great out there, Applejack.” Twilight praised as Applejack’s eyes slowly closed.

“Take it easy, AJ.” Rainbow added as she looked at the mare. “I’ll tell you how I beat Lightning when this is over.”

The two mares shared a look, one unlike any they shared before as a small smile grew on Applejack’s muzzle. “Ah’ll look forward…ta that…Rainbow…” A tiny squee came from Cadence as Applejack fell asleep. With a nod from Twilight, Discord returned the mare to her point in time.

The selector restarted as Smoulder stood away from her two teachers, regretting that she lost control as Garble and Ember approached. “Now that’s what I’m talking about!” Garble stated as he pick up his sister and gave her a noogie. “We dragons are gonna take this tournament, easy!”

“Yeah…easy…” Smoulder freed herself from her brothers grip as she continued to sulk. Ember approached her and smack her in the back.

“Cheer up, kid. That pony’s a friend of Spike’s and Twilight. She’ll be fine.” The Dragon Lord insisted with a smile.

One that Smoulder did not share. “Even so, I totally lost control and lashed out! I almost reduced her to ashes!”

“Isn’t that the point of this tournament?” Garble said, tactless. “To win using what you got?”

“But, Applejack…”

“Knew what she was getting into before entering that arena.” Ember reminded, countering Smoulders argument before it was made. “We all did. Thorax knew that and so did Ocellus. They made their choice whether to fight or not, and so did you.” The elder dragon place a claw on Smoulders shoulder. “So stop regretting what you did and celebrate your victory!”

Smoulder looked between the other dragons before allowing a smile to cross her maw, celebrating with them as the selector choose the next competitor.


“The next creature to enter the arena is…Ahuizotl!”

Nightmare Moon barely paid attention to Discord’s announcement, instead focusing on the Alicorns as Ahuizotl made his way to the arena. She had been noting their actions ever since she arrived, realizing they where the biggest threat she faced. The dark Alicorn paid particular attention to Cadence. In her timeline, she had discovered the mare’s remains in the crystal caves under Canterlot after her battle with Chrysalis. The pink Alicorn was an unknown to her and the Ruler of the Night did not like unknowns.

“It’s so strange, seeing a supposed fictional character walking around.” Lightning Dust commented as she hovered over the other two mares. Sunset Shimmer had been running her strategies in her mind before looking at Ahuizotl.

“I never read those Daring Do books.” She said dismissively.

“That I believe!” The pegasus said with a chuckle. “You strike me as the boring study type.” Sunset shot a look at Lightning.

“As a matter of fact, I am! I learned about all matters of magic, from the Dark Arts to the Elements of Harmony!”

“Then what can you tell me about that creature with Sombra?”

The two mares turned to Nightmare as she spoke before looking at Midnight. Lightning tilted her head, confused. “You mean the one with two legs? What so special about her?”

“Aside from possessing The Sphinx’s powers, it's hard to tell.” Sunset replied. “But when I was near her, it felt like she was…a novice. Like a unicorn filly who just used her first spell.”

Nightmare Moon kept her eyes on Midnight until the human turned and met her gaze. A crazed smile spread across her face, sparking a memory in the Alicorn.

Earlier

“…understand everything you need, to become…an Alicorn.” Nightmare said as she lead Sunset Shimmer behind The Sphinx as a smile appeared on the unicorns muzzle.

“At last! I can finally become what Celestia has denied me for so long!”

“Indeed, my little pony. And all you need to do…” She stopped suddenly as she caught site of the two figures before her, a sense of dreadful deja vu hit the Alicorn like a buck to the face. “You there! What matter of creature are you?”

Midnight Sparkle faced the two mares as a crazed smile appeared on her face. “None of your business, that’s what.”

“You dare refuse me?” Nightmare stepped closer as Sunset looked between the two, hesitant on what to do. “I am Nightmare Moon! You WILL obey me!”

Midnight face the Alicorn head on as she spread out her arms. “Bring it on!” The two stared each other down, daring the other to make the first move.

“Princess Luna?”

Started a creature would address her with that name, Nightmare tore her glare away from Midnight, turning them towards the second figure. One she recognized. “Stygian? Why are you here and not with Starswirl?”

The unicorn rose to his hooves before addressing Nightmare. “I no longer associate myself with The Pillars. As for why I am here…all I will say is, there are many paths that lead to the same goal.”

She felt a dark power coming from the stallion when she looked him over, a power similar to her own. “I see.” She spared a quick look at Midnight. “Then perhaps you can tell me about this creature.”

Midnight Sparkle laughs in victory. “Are you so afraid of losing, you would resort to seeking help?”

The stallion, opting to ignore the magical human, shook his head. “Apologizes, Princess Luna. But even if I had any knowledge of her, I would not share it with you.”

“And why not?”

“I do not trust you.” The three figures stood gazing at one another as Sunset watched from behind Nightmare Moon. Having grown up hearing about the legend of The Mare on the Moon she held a dreadful respect for the Alicorn, that to see other creatures defy her so was shocking to the mare.

“Hmph. You two will rue the day you crossed me.” With that The Ruler of the Night turned on Sunset and wrapped a wing around her, giving them a barrier from the two creatures. She began to explained to the young unicorn what she needed to do when Discord announced Celestia as the next creature to fight. As Sunset dashed ahead, Nightmare glanced back at Midnight causing memories of her first battle with Celestia to flash in her mind.

The battle she had used the Elements of Harmony against her.

Now

“I don’t see what the big deal is with that girl.” Lightning Dust said with a shrug, hovering above the others. “Sure, she's weird looking and has magic. But she couldn’t even use it against The Sphinx.” She lands and looks towards the arena. “If you ask me, she’s all flare, and no substance.”

“It’s a good thing we didn’t ask you then.” Sunset commented, earning a mean look from the pegasus.

“Hey!”

“Nether of you have experienced the power of the Elements of Harmony.” Nightmare silenced them both as she kept her gaze on Midnight before closing her eyes, a reluctant grin appearing on her muzzle. “You are a conniving one, Sombra.”

“Wait, what does she have to do with the Elements?” Sunset asked.

“It is faint, but the moment we encountered her I could sense the Elements power from her. Corrupted, but still very present.”

“The Elements…” Lightning said aloud before it clicked. “Aren’t those the things Rainbow and her friends use to…” She hesitated, looking at Nightmare nervously.

“To return me to my weaker self in your timeline, yes.” Nightmare finished, allowing the mare to sigh in relief.

“But how was she able to get their power? I’ve never even seen anything like her in Equestria!” Sunset said in frustration.

“She must have acquired them from her world. The same way your counterpart had.” She explained as the Alicorn turned towards the mentioned girl. Lightning and Sunset both followed her gaze, staring at Daydream with shock and understanding.

“Wait…” Lightning began. “…so does that mean those two…?”

“Could pose to be a real threat.”


“The next creature to enter the arena is…Ahuizotl!”

“At last! The chance to prove what a Guardian is capable of!” The creature announced as he quickly made his way to the arena entrance. Rainbow, Twilight, Spike, and Shining were all gathered beside the barrier, cheering him on.

“You got this, Ahuizotl!”

“Let’s go!”

You can do it!”

“Really? None of you find it the least bit strange to be cheering for Ahuizotl?” Shining asked as he recalled all the books that depicted the creature as a villain.

“I told you, bro. He’s just the victim of bad publicity.”

“Yeah. The poor guy was just doing his job, after all.” Rainbow added as the arena morphed into one of the temples he guards.

Shining chuckled. “I think I liked it better when Daring Do and the other characters were just characters.”

“The creatures so far have all been impressive.” Ahuizotl said. “But you have not seen what I can do!”

“You tell them, Ahui!” Steven called out as the second panel stopped spinning.

“And his opponent is…oooh.” Discord gave a curious look. “Daydream Shimmer.” The pony turned human stood straight as Tempest and Celestia gave her kind smiles. She made her way to the arena entrance, all eyes on her with various degrees of curiosity.

“HA! So you are to be my rival?” Ahuizotl said in a good natured manner. “While your presence is unique, it won’t help you against…” As he spoke Daydream neared the arena until she stepped outside of the magic damping space.

A bright, pure aura surround Daydream as she lifted off the ground, power and harmony radiated off her in waves that caused the creatures watching to be momentary stunned. Twilight and Rainbow exchanged looks as Luna and Cadence looked to Celestia for answers. Nightmare Moon rose to her hooves along with Sunset as Lightning took to the air; the two ponies were surprised while the dark Alicorn showed signs of fear.

Tirek, The Storm King, Cozy Glow and Chrysalis all stood appalled at the site of such power as Sombra glared at the creature who had managed to harness the full power of the Elements of Harmony all on her own. Midnight Sparkle gave an angry grin at her rival as the memory of their brief meeting flashed in her mind.

Stygian rubbed his chin in fascination. “Intriguing. Her magic feels very similar to that of the Pillars.” He put his hoof down in realization. “This is what they were using to return me to Limbo!” The unicorn gave his old comrades a dark look.

Daydream floated over to the gelatinous mass that was her side of the arena but as she drew closer, it seemed to be pulling away from her. Confused for a moment, she decided to land on the ground, figuring it would trigger the transformation. Instead, the ground beneath her vanished leaving an empty space of the dimension in its wake.

“She’s canceling out my magic!” Discord said in a panic.

“Sunset has become the embodiment of Harmony.” Twilight explained as she watched her friend raise up again, allowing the ground to reform. “Her presence alone can cancel out your Chaos magic.”

“Then how has she not done so before?” Pharynx asked as he stood beside Ember.

“Good question…” The young Alicorn mutter before addressing Daydream. “Sunset! What did you do just now?”

“Nothing. I just…let my power flow freely after leaving the space.” She explained, turning towards her friend.

“Did you not try when you ‘were’ in the space?”

Daydream blinked. “No, I didn’t. I just took Discord’s word for it after Starswirl said he couldn’t use his magic.” Just then Daydream closed her eyes as she reigned in her power, dimming down the glow until all that shone were her magical wings and horn. After that she tried to land again, this time it sent a shiver to the gelatinous mass causing it to change into a hillside covered with flowers that glowed with a sunset backdrop.

Throughout this entire display Ahuizotl stood petrified. He had felt the purity her power radiated as her powers effected the Chaos magic infused structure they stood on. Being a Guardian of sacred and powerful artifacts he had developed an appreciation for divine artifacts and the powers that held them.

“Well, now that the arena has settled, are you ready?” Daydream asked as she gave him a challenging look. “I hope my little display hasn’t scared you off.”

Ahuizotl cleared his throat. “I’m afraid I must disappoint you, Fair Lady.” This caused Daydream to blink and lightly blush. “I cannot, in good conscious, causes any harm upon a creature as pure as you.” This caused her blush to deepen as Rainbow and Spike tried to contain their laughter. “I forfeit the match.”

“Oh, Come ON!” Discord said as he appeared before the Guardian. “Just like that? You’re not even going to banter with her?”

“Take a look at this Fair creature, then ask me that again.”

Discord did as such and saw Daydream looking at them, blushing and confused. It was then that Discord ‘really’ saw what Ahuizotl was talking about…she had no darkness of any kind within her. A trait he recognized in Fluttershy. The draconequus turned back to the Guardian with a look of understanding. “I see your point. Ahuizotl has forfeit the match. The winner is Daydream Shimmer.”

Ahuizotl simply waved to Rainbow and Twilight as Discord sent him back, the selector starting up again as Daydream returns to her space. Just then Chrysalis let out a scream.

“Hold it right there, creature!” Daydream faced the former queen with a hard stare as Chrysalis approached the barrier. “Who are you? And where did you get that power?”

Daydream held the Changelings steeling look for a moment, before flashing her a grin and turning her back towards her. “Go fly into a window.” The sound of Chrysalis’ outrage could be heard as she approached her friends.

“Not that I agree with that tyrant, but…” Smoulder said as she rubbed the back of her head. “I’m kinda wondering the same thing.”

The pony turned human chuckled. “I kinda figured.” The others gathered around as she told them how she got the power.

Unable to hear what they were saying, Chrysalis turned on her allies. “That was the power of the Elements of Harmony, was it not?”

“Uh huh.” Cozy replied as she glared at Daydream. “It was practically a requirement to learn about them at Twilight’s school.”

“In my entire life, I’ve never seen creatures remotely close to what she is.” Tirek added as Chrysalis looked past him, at Nightmare, Lightning and Sunset.

Flying over she calls out to them. “You there! Unicorn! That was your counterpart, correct? How did she acquire that power?”

The three mares looked at Chrysalis. “Buzz off, insect.” Sunset said, getting a laugh from Lightning. The former queen moved on the mare only to by met with Nightmare Moon. As the two groups argued King Sombra grit his teeth in growing frustration towards the amount of powerful creatures turning up this late into the tournament.

“Now I understand her concern.” Sombra turned at Stygian, who was staring intently at Midnight as she eyed the unicorn with annoyance.

“Who are you talking about?” Sombra said as he approached the smaller stallion.

“Princess Luna.” Stygian replied before looking at him. “Or rather, Nightmare Moon. She had approached us with Sunset after the unicorns victory. We spoke briefly regarding Midnight.” The two stallions looked at Midnight, who grew angry.

“What?”

“You possess a similar power to that Daydream girl, yet you were unable to combat The Sphinx, let alone affect Discord structure as she had.” Sombra explained with a hard look in his eyes. “Why is that?”

“How should I know?” Midnight shrugged. “My world never had magic until recently. Once my weaker self discovered that, she built a device to capture it. After that, she unleashed it, transforming into me!”

Sombra thought for a moment. “It would appear Midnight possess a ‘Corrupted’ version of the Elements. As a result, she doesn’t have the same level of affect compared to them.”

“That would seem to be the case.” Stygian concurred as he turned to Daydream. “Until we learn the truth, we can only speculate.”

“It doesn’t matter. My power is greater then hers!” Midnight glared at Daydream. “I know that when we meet again, I’ll beat her!” She clutched her fists as the next creature was finally chosen.