• Published 15th Nov 2019
  • 1,075 Views, 27 Comments

Regenesis, A Duelist Story - RitsuD95



It's just a game that's taken the entire world by storm. But it isn't. For the girls, the game of Duel Monsters has become the catalyst to an all new stage of conflict.

  • ...
4
 27
 1,075

Chapter 1: Magic Vs Machine

"Ugh," Rarity groaned, "Twilight, dear? I believe you and I have different definitions of 'close'."

When the group had left Octavia's house, they had been under the assumption that the detection was within striking distance. It was only after they'd departed the house that the techie gave them an estimate of several miles.

Which, of course, was extended by the rough and heavily wooded terrain.

Twilight didn't glance up from her device, "Subjectively, it's close. We've only been walking for about forty-five minutes. And we're almost on top of the energy signature."

"About time!" Rainbow Dash said, "Let's just get it taken care of so we can go back to chillin out."

"While I understand your sentiments," Twilight replied, "it may not be that easy. Now that we're closer, I can confirm it. The signature is similar to Equestrian Magic, but it's different."

"So, you guys have a new kind of baddie?" Vinyl asked.

"It sure sounds that way." Sunset confirmed with a sigh.

"I've got to be honest," Octavia added, "I haven't really been this far very often. The terrain we find ourselves stepping through being the exact reason."

"Don't sell yourself short." Twilight said, "You've been a great help avoiding a lot of unnecessary danger."

The cellist merely shrugged, "I'm here to help as much as possible."

As they crested another hill, Twilight raised a hand, signaling for a stop. Looking to her left, she pointed to a cave, "It's coming from in there."

"Wait a second." Octavia said, "I know that wasn't here before.

In response, a single lantern lit itself just within the cavern.

"Well, that's ominous!" Pinkie commented.

"I'm gonna suggest we pony up." Sunset said, "Maybe the rest of you should stay out here."

"Oh yes," Wallflower rolled her eyes, "us non-superpowered people can just stand outside of the evil-looking cave in the middle of the woods!"

At that, Sunset winced, "Right, dumb idea, sorry."

Wallflower softened, "Sorry, didn't mean to snap. Maybe it's safer out here, maybe not. I'd prefer if we were with the superheroes on this one though."

"Seconded." Vinyl nodded.

"Then we ought keep it tight." Applejack told them.

"Copy that, captain." Pinkie agreed, saluting.

"Let's do this thing!" Rainbow shouted, slamming her first into the other palm.

With that, after transforming, albeit with less flash than normal, the group began their journey into the cave, keeping close together.

~~~~~~~~~~

After entering the cave, they had wordlessly descended deeper and deeper.

As they went, a lantern lit itself every couple yards they traveled. The more came on, the more unsettled the group felt.

It was then they began to to notice the discrepancies between a normal cave and where they currently found themselves.

"This place doesn't feel right." Wallflower broke the silence, "It's too quiet. And look, moss isn't even growing in here.

"That's not all." Fluttershy added, "No mice, no snakes, no bats, not even any insects. There's no life at all. It's unnatural."

"There's a good possibility we're walking right into a trap." Sunset observed.

"No doubt about that. Can't help wondering who's the one setting it, though." Vinyl thought aloud.

"Unfortunately, we might have to wait for them to spring it to find out." Twilight answered.

With that, they continued on in silence.

Not a few minutes later, they found the path leading into a massive chamber. It had laterns around the walls, luminating its entirety.

Almost immediately after entering, a sudden flash occurred behind the girls. To their horror, they turned to see the tunnel they came through was no longer there. It looked as if it was never there. Just more of the walls they had been looking at.

"Where'd the exit go!?" Pinkie shrieked in confusion.

"It's gone!" Rainbow scowled. Fluttershy simply whimpered and latched onto the athlete's arm.

"This isn't possible..." Twilight sighed.

"This has magic written all over it." Sunset said with a growl.

"Close, but not exactly what kind you're used to." A new voice pierced the silence and shocked all the girls as they turned toward the source. There, on the other side of the chamber, stood a new figure, hooded in an all-black cloak. A highly stylized, cursive 'V' adorned the right side of the chest. However, Twilight recognized the figure's voice almost immediately.

"... Principal Cinch?"

The other girls looked to her in confusion, then back to the figure in battle stance.

There was a beat of silence, then a maniacal laugh as the hood was removed.
Twilight was right, to the shock of her friends.

"You're right, Miss Sparkle! You always were too attentive for your own good!" Cinch sneered.

"You?! You're the source of these weird readings?!" Sunset asked through her scowl.

"Woah, plot twist." Vinyl commented.

"Enough of one, anyway." Octavia agreed.

Cinch chuckled in amusement, "Yes, I am. And it's all thanks to these new powers I've been given. As I'm sure you've noticed, your escape route is now gone. And now, I'm going to eliminate all in my way. Starting with you and your friends, Twilight."

Twilight didn't waver, locking eyes with her formal principal, "Why? Because I transferred out of Crystal Prep? Because we didn't win those blasted games?! You can't be serious!"

Cinch glared back, "Yes, those play their parts. However, the ultimate reason lies in the destruction of our reputation. And of course, the fact I was removed from my position. In favor of your precious Dean Cadance, no less."

Twilight found herself caught off-guard, "You got fired? I knew Cadance was promoted, but..."

Cinch bared her teeth in anger, "Yes! All thanks to you!"

She shook with anger, before going rigid and giving an abnormally large grin. The girls all found themselves unnerved, taking an unconscious step back in near unison.

Cinch then turned her focus to the others. Sunset thought she saw a flicker of green and black pass through her adversary's eyes. With a snap of her fingers, a magical barrier suddenly began to rise around the girls.

"Look out!" Wallflower shouted.

With speed she didn't know she was capable of, she rushed to Sunset, shoving with all her might.

The momentum happened to carry the both of them outside of the barrier's intended range, but barely.

The rest who didn't escape the magical field reacted quickly, attacking the barrier in unison. But it was futile. It didn't budge an inch. And Twilight had seen enough to lose her composure.

"Do you even know what you're doing?! That power is dangerous! It could destroy people! Destroy you! Didn't you learn anything from what happened to me?!" She screamed with all her heart.

At first, her adversary didn't react. But then, she gave a confident grin, "Believe me, child. I understand fully. And it's a risk I'm willing to take. All for my revenge. I used my entire life to build up Crystal Prep. And now, it's all gone."

Cinch then turned to Sunset, "Of course, I'd say it was all because of you. You ruined everything."

"Excuse you?!" Wallflower quickly cut in, "She saved everyone from your screw-up!"

Cinch raised an eyebrow, "And what makes you say that, child?"

"I was there, you jerk!" Wallflower found herself screaming, "I saw the entire thing! Before, I was too blinded by hate and jealousy to admit it, but she saved the entire world! And the other one too!"

"Wallflower..." Sunset whispered, truly touched by the stand the gardener was making against a far more powerful foe. On her behalf, no less.

"Hmph." Cinch sneered, "You simply talk too much."

With that, the disgraced principal raised her hand. Instantly, a burst of energy erupted from her hand and into the young gardener.

It made impact, sending her flying into the cave wall. The collision was noticably audible.

"Wallflower!" Sunset cried, rushing over to her friend's side.

Quickly, she placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. A wince and whimper squeezed out of her.

"Ugh..." Wallflower groaned, "That hurt. A lot. You guys take hits like that all the time?"

"Preferably not." Sunset answered, quickly looking over her.

"I'm fine. Just bruised up."

"You won't be fine for long." Cinch corrected, raising her hand a second time.

Suddenly, the geode around Sunset's neck began glowing with vigor. Immediately after, the rest of the geodes began to glow as well.

"What?" Sunset whispered in confusion.

Cinch simply growled, "I don't know what those are, but they won't save you."

With that, she shot another wave of dark energy at the pair.

Sunset reacted in kind, forming a barrier around the two. The blast from Cinch careened off of it, smashing into the cave's ceiling.

At that moment, a beam of energy shot out of each of the girls' geodes, directly into their duel disks. A second from Sunset's ran to Wallflower. An aura of light enveloped her, then vanished almost as quickly.

"Wait, what?" The gardener asked, quickly patting herself over, "I don't hurt anymore."

She carefully got to her feet, looking herself over.

"That's new." Pinkie spoke up.

"Woah, never seen something like this before." Vinyl said with no small amount of awe.

"Thank goodness. It looks like whatever that was, it healed Wallflower's injuries." Octavia observed with a nod.

Cinch growled, "No matter, I'll simply do it again."

Before she could, a dark aura consumed her. She glanced over herself, before nodding reluctantly.

"Oh, very well," The ex-principal grit out, "We shall settle this with a game of Duel Monsters."

"And why should I accept a duel from you?!" Sunset shouted.

Cinch grinned, "Because if you don't," She raised her finger in the direction of Wallflower, then to her trapped friends, "They'll all pay the price. You might be able to match me. But you simply won't be able to match and protect them at the same time."

"Y'all some cowards fer sure!" Applejack shouted.

"Just some big meanies!" Pinkie agreed.

"You're unforgivable for hurting Wallflower!" Fluttershy added, a surprising amount of venom in her voice.

"She's definitely a typical bad guy." Vinyl agreed.

"I care not for what you think of me." Cinch said, "But if you defeat me, you'll be free to go."

"Don't trust her, Sunny." Wallflower whispered, gently grabbing Sunset's wrist.

"I don't really have a choice." She sighed, before turning to Cinch, "Fine, let's do this!"

"Sunset, no! You've never dueled before!" Octavia shouted.

"It's alright," The girl responded calmly, "I've gotten the rundown on my deck from Wallflower. And... The geode is telling me I have to do this."

"Be careful, Sunset." Applejack added, "Ya don't know wut kind a tricks she's using."

"Kick her butt, Sunny!" Pinkie cheered passionately.

Sunset nodded, and activated her duel disk. The geode began to glow, enveloping her device before fading away.

Cinch merely grinned, activating her own. Like Sunset, an aura enveloped her duel disk. But unlike Sunset's, it was dark and malicious.

"Duel!"

Sunset: 4000
Cinch: 4000

"Oh, and one more thing..." Cinch said, focusing a sphere of dark energy in her hand.

"What's that?!" Sunset demanded.

"Just a raise of the stakes." Cinch responded.

In one fluid motion, she raised her hand. The sphere of energy shattered itself dispersing around the two combatants.

With that, a crystal dark as night and tall as Cinch herself sprouted in the middle of the field. Following that, a seal glowing black and green expanded around the two duelists.

Sunset quickly turned, placing her hand out. She found that a barrier had formed itself around the perimeter of the seal.

"This," Cinch declared, "is a Shadow Duel. A wonderful thing, really. As the duel progresses, you'll find that all damage is inflicted is real! Death is, of course, a possibility."

"That's ridiculous!" Wallflower shouted, "It's just a game! How does that even work?!"

"She's right! That's completely insane!" Vinyl agreed.

"A near impossibility." Octavia gritted out.

"Normally, I'd agree..." Twilight responded grimly, "But with magic involved, it's a very real possibility."

Cinch glanced over at the trapped teens, "It's reasonable enough to find that hard to believe. But, Duel Monsters isn't just a game, of course."

"What does that mean?" Rarity asked, narrowing her eyes.

The disgraced principal chuckled, "It would be a waste of time explaining it all to those with so little time left in this world."

"Then I'll beat it out of you." Sunset declared, "What you're talking about, where you got these powers, I'll beat it all out of you!"

"Foolish of you to believe you can." Cinch told her, "Now then, it's time to duel. As an educator, it seems right that I allow you the first move and critique your mistakes."

"I'd use that term lightly." Twilight snarked quietly.

"Fine by me!" Sunset shouted, glancing down at her hand.

"Come on, Sunset. I know you got this..." Wallflower whispered to herself.

"I'll start by playing the field spell, Magical Citadel of Endymion!" Sunset declared.

Around them, an expansive city rose from the ground. The architecture was of older variety, but shone like an illustration from a history book. In the distance, a grand tower that stood above all else could be seen.

"Woah. Alright, Twi, Ah've gotta give ya this one. That's sumthin else." Applejack said, looking around the field.

"It's a true picture of rustic beauty!" Rarity exclaimed with stars in her eyes.

"That's impressive, to be certain." Octavia agreed, "but I hope it does more than just look beautiful."

Sunset took a moment to admire her work, before continuing to play, "Next, I'm gonna set the Pendulum Scale using Servant of Endymion and Endymion, the Mighty Master of Magic! Two and eight!"

With that, two pillars of light flared on either side of Sunset, before two stone slabs with simplistic sketches of the two monsters firmly planted themselves to the spot.

"And since setting the Pendulum Scale counts as playing spells, my Citadel gains two spell counters!" Sunset shouted.

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 2

"Nice... Nice going, Sunset!" Wallflower cheered, "Great going first play!"

"Admirable, but it will ultimately be useless." Cinch taunted from across the field.

"We'll see about that." Sunset shrugged, "Next, I'm going to Pendulum Summon my Magical Abductor in defense mode!"

At that, a woman adorned with refined ornamental head accessories and a flowing robe of mint green and black appeared on the battlefield. In her hands, a strange scepter held defensively in front of herself. (LV4 1700/1400)

Sunset looked over to her monster, and she could of sworn it nodded to her. She quickly shook her head, "Finally, I'll play Pot of Desires! This spell let's me banish the top ten cards of my deck facedown, and then I get to draw two!"

With that, she took ten cards from the top of her deck and inserted them into the deck holder attached to her belt.

"Preparing for next turn, are we?" Cinch mocked, "It won't do you any good. A child like you has no hopes of defeating me. Especially one with zero experience. Draw all you want!"

Sunset glared back but didn't respond immediately. Eventually, she nodded to her opponent, "Every card of my field gains a spell counter."

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 3
Servant of Endymion: 1
Endymion, the MMM: 1
Magical Abductor: 1

"That's a pretty big risk, playing it at the end of her first turn." Vinyl commented.

"Inexperience, perhaps." Octavia sighed.

"I'm not a math genius," Rainbow added, "but didn't she banish like a fourth of her deck just to draw two?"

"Indeed. There's a high probability she banished something she might have needed later." Twilight agreed nervously.

"Don't get me wrong," Vinyl spoke again, "it's an insanely good card in fast-paced decks. But it's usually used as a way to get more pieces to push for the win. It doesn't matter too much, since she was going first. But it's just odd timing."

"I hope she knows what she's doing..." Fluttershy almost whispered.

Sunset looked over the two new cards in her hand, "And I'll end my turn right there."

"Finally." Cinch sneered, "Now, it's my turn. I draw!"

She glanced down at her hand. An expression of scrutiny crossed her face, before she looked back up with a wicked grin.

"First," the former principal declared, "I'll activate the effect of Cyberdark Cannon! By discarding it, I can add any machine-type Cyberdark monster from my deck to my hand!"

The former principal discarded the creature from her hand and began rummaging through her deck, "Ahh, yes. Perfect. I'll add this one... And I think I'll summon it right away! Rise, Cyberdark Horn!"

Without waiting a beat, she placed the selected monster onto the field.

Rising to the field came a strange amalgamation of machinery that formed into the loose shape of a dragon. (LV4 800/800)

"Next, I'll use the on-summon ability of my Horn. He allows me to use a level three or lower dragon-type monster in my graveyard as an equip spell. I'll choose the one I just discarded, Cyberdark Cannon!"

The beast roared as the discarded Cyberdark Cannon appeared on the field. Immediately, Cyberdark Horn wrapped its spikes around the creature. It cried in distress, before several cables extended from the machine and attached themselves to the Cannon's head. In an instant, it went still. Several similar tendrils reached out of its mouth, plugging into the Horn.

Cyberdark Horn (2400/800)

"Oh my... The poor thing." Fluttershy whispered. Despite its imposing appearance, she couldn't help but feel bad for it being used as a shield.

"Cyberdark monsters are nasty business." Octavia sighed, "They use their fallen comrades as power boosts."

"I'm not a fan of that playstyle." Rainbow said with a scowl.

"It's fitting they're being used by Cinch." Twilight shook her head.

"Makes sense you're using a strategy like that!" Sunset spat, "Using other people's talents is something you're good at!"

Cinch merely gave a bored expression, "And what's wrong with using these weaker soldiers to make the more powerful ones even stronger? The rules of my deck apply to life as well. Find a way to utilize the underachievers to your advantage."

That garnered unified scorn from the girls. It wasn't too surprising to see she believed that, but it was another thing to explain it like a natural thing that occurs.

"Wow, lady." Wallflower commented, "You're really messed up in the head."

"I suppose I'm supposed to care what you children think?" Cinch asked, "This is how the world works. And it's how my Cyberdark deck will run rampant over you little pests."

She looked towards Magical Abductor, "Cyberdark Horn, attack that little magician. Oh, and so you know, this one inflicts piercing damage."

"Piercing damage?" Applejack asked.

Octavia bit her lip, "It means that the difference between Cyberdark Horn's attack and Magical Abductor's defense will be dealt to Sunset as damage."

"That's really bad." Rainbow growled.

With a hiss, Cyberdark Horn charged at Magical Abductor, crashing its head into her. The spellcaster let out a grunt before shattering.

"And now, I'll deal one-thousand points of damage to you!" Cinch declared.

Cyberdark Horn turned to Sunset, and loosed a concentrated beam of energy at its opponent.

Sunset braced herself, but didn't expect an actual impact to take her off of her feet.

She flew back into the barrier, before collapsing to the ground.

"Sunset, no!" Wallflower screamed, "How?! They're just holograms, right?!"

Cinch chuckled darkly, "Now you see the influence of a Shadow Duel. I told you! All the damage is real!"

Rainbow began pounding at the barrier containing herself and the rest of the group, "Wait til I get my hands on you!"

"Sunset! Please be alright!" Vinyl shouted.

"How dare you do that to Sunset?!" Fluttershy cried.

"Simple. I dealt damage." The former principal responded with a smirk.

"Cheap shot." Sunset growled, pulling everyone's attention.

Unsteadily, she got to her feet. She had noticable scrapes and scuffes on both her person and her clothes. A single cut ran across her right cheek, bleeding slightly.

"Real damage..." Octavia gasped, "Blast! This really is a life-or-death battle!"

"Sunny!" Pinkie shouted, "You're okay! Well, not okay. But like, you're still conscious and that kind of thing!"

"I don't know how many shots like that she can take, though." Twilight grimaced, "Even with our powers and magic protection, we still try to avoid getting hit too much. For that reason alone. Some of us don't have as strong a resistance to damage as others."

"Then she's gotta win quick." Rainbow said intensely.

Cinch raised an eyebrow, "Hmm. You are tough, I'll give you that. But now you understand. I'm going to rip you to pieces, bit by bit. And then, the rest of you rabble."

"Not gonna happen." Sunset grit, pulling herself up to full posture, "Are you finished?"

"For now." Cinch responded, "Oh, but Cyberdark Cannon's ability let's me send one monster to the graveyard. I'll choose Infernal Dragon. And I'll set one card face-down. Now, I'm finished."

"Then it's my turn." Sunset spat, "I draw!"

Looking down to her cards she began running her eyes over them. She had to formulate a plan to streamline a victory.

"First, I'm gonna Pendulum Summon Mythical Beast Jackal King to the field!" Sunset declared.

A cloud of mist began to appear in front of Sunset. After a moment, out from the cloud stepped a majestic creature. Adorned by armor not dissimilar to what a mage would wear, it did indeed take the form of a jackal. One with varying shades of blue. Its long and ethereal fur fluttered around, almost like a fire. (LV6 2400/1400)

"Wow. That's one impressive monster." Octavia commented.

"He's gorgeous." Fluttershy said, small smile adorning her face.

"It truly is a breathtaking creature." Rarity agreed.

"He's strong too!" Rainbow added.

Cinch wasn't impressed, "So you've summoned a monster with equal attack power to mine. You understand that if you try to attack, both our monsters will be destroyed?"

"Don't patronize me." Sunset scowled, "I know that. Which is why I'm not done yet!"

"Then do something worthy of note." Cinch sneered.

"I will!" Sunset declared, "I equip Jackal King with the spell card One-Shot Wand! This gives him an additional eight-hundred attack points!"

The beast took hold of the staff with a boomerang-like head in its mouth, casually craning its neck side-to-side.

Mythical Beast Jackal King (3200/1400)

"That's sum attack power." Applejack said.

"It's impressive, to say the least." Rarity agreed.

Sunset smirked, "And of course, I'll gain spell counters. And Jackal King gains two instead of one!"

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 4
Servant of Endymion: 2
Endymion, the MMM: 2
Jackal King: 2

"Now, Jackal King! Attack Cyberdark Horn! Mythical Melee!"

The creature nodded, before appearing almost instantaneously in front of it's opponent. Quickly, it swiped its head, making the staff smash into the Cyberdark machine.

The creature roared, crushing its spikes deep into Cyberdark Cannon. With a cry, the equipment monster shattered, but Cyberdark Horn remained.

A wave of wind burst towards Cinch. She quickly crossed her arms, concentrating that same dark energy from before over herself. She maintained her ground, being pushed back only slightly.

Cinch: 3000
Sunset: 3000

"What?!" Sunset cried in confusion.

"Why wasn't that thing destroyed?!" Rainbow shouted.

"Cyberdark monsters have an additional effect as well..." Octavia said with a scowl.

Cinch grinned, "When a Cyberdark would be destroyed by battle, it destroys the equip spell instead!"

"They really did use Cyberdark Cannon like a shield." Fluttershy said with realization.

"Ah was right, cowardly as they come." Applejack scowled.

"No doubt." Vinyl nodded, "But more than that, it takes a lot to take em down."

"Still, its attack power isn't nearly the threat it was when it had Cannon equipped." Twilight said nervously.

"You must try harder than that if you hope to defeat me!" Cinch gloated.

Sunset grit her teeth, "I'm not done yet! To finish my turn, I'll play Allure of Darkness! I draw two, then banish a dark monster from my hand!"

She did just that, taking two cards from her deck, then placing another card into her deck holder.

"I'll banish Breaker The Magical Warrior. That's all for me."

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 5
Servant of Endymion: 3
Endymion, the MMM: 3
Jackal King: 4

"Then it's my turn." Cinch said, drawing a card. After a moment, she grinned, "It's time I put you in your place."

"Then quit talking and do it already!" Sunset growled back.

"My pleasure." Cinch declared, "First, I'll deal with your Jackal King's annoying ability. I activate my face-down card, Fiendish Chain!"

In that instant, several chains materializing around the Jackal King. While fighting viciously, it was eventually wrapped within the chains.

"No!" Octavia cried.

"What?! Why's that so terrible?!" Twilight asked in a panic.

Vinyl cut in, "Jackal King's ability would allow him to negate monster effects. It would've been huge for crippling Cinch's deck, at least for a few turns."

"But now, she's free to do whatever she wants..." Octavia finished.

"Next, I'll activate the spell card Polymerization from my hand!" Cinch declared, slapping the card onto her duel disk. "Using the Horn on my field, as well as Cyberdark Keel and Cyberdark Edge in my hand, I send them all to my graveyard in order to summon my most powerful monster!"

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 6
Servant of Endymion: 4
Endymion, the MMM: 4
Jackal King: 4

"This is bad. Really bad." Octavia gritted out.

"Three-monster fusions usually aren't good for the other player." Vinyl agreed.

"Sunny..." Wallflower whispered with worry.

At once, she took the Cyberdark Horn from her field, as well as two cards from her hand, and placed them into her graveyard.

With that, a portal of blue and orange appeared on the field. It began shaking with pitch-black sparks mimicking electricity.

"Rise to my field, Cyberdark Dragon!"

A beast slowly began emerging from the portal. It bled malicious energy from every crevice on its body, manifested as whisps of living shadows. It held a similarity to Cyberdark Horn in regards to its spikes, but it appeared as a massive serpent with a vicious groan emanating from its jaws. (LV8 1000/1000)

"Woah, nelly." Applejack gasped, "That's a big 'un raht there."

"It looks so... Vicious." Rarity said quietly.

"I'm betting it's more than just looks." Rainbow added.

"This is the beginning of the end!" Cinch declared, grinning maniacally, "Or should I say yours? Cyberdark Dragon will equip the Infernal Dragon in my graveyard!"

Cyberdark Dragon roared. Shooting tendrils into the portal, they eventually dragged a fighting Infernal Dragon to it. Much like before, the spikes and tendrils attached, silencing the objection of its new power source.

Cyberdark Dragon: 3000/1000

"Oh, crap." Sunset breathed out.

"Indeed." Cinch sneered, "Next, I activate Limiter Removal! This card will double my Cyberdark Dragon's attack power!"

With a roar, the creature nearly doubled in size almost instantly.

Cyberdark Dragon: 6000/1000

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 7
Servant of Endymion: 5
Endymion, the MMM: 5
Jackal King: 4

"Oh, no!" Twilight screamed.

"This isn't looking good..." Fluttershy whimpered.

"Shit." Wallflower gritted out, unconsciously wringing her hands together.

"Cyberdark Dragon, attack Mythical Beast Jackal King! Show her what real power is!" Cinch ordered.

With that, the mighty dragon shot a massive beam of energy directly at its enemy. Jackal King was consumed in a massive explosion, and that same explosion hit Sunset Shimmer with equal vigor.

At once, she was sent flying into the barrier with a scream. Her impact into it caused a huge thump, and an audible crunch. She slid down the barrier, collapsing onto the ground like a ragdoll.

"Sunset! Sunset, no!" Rainbow Dash screamed.

She immediately began attacking the barrier that contained them again, this time the entire group joining her.

Like before, it didn't budge an inch.

"Dammit!" Applejack shouted in anger.

"We gotta get to Sunny!" Pinkie shouted, throwing another exploding cupcake at the barrier.

"Sunset! Come on, girl! Show me some movement!" Twilight screamed as loud as she could.

Sunset didn't even make a sound.

Wallflower began pounding on the barrier that kept her savior separated, "Sunset! Get up! Please! Don't leave us!"

Slowly, the gardener's pounding came to a halt. She fell to her knees, sobbing profusely.

"Don't leave me..." She whispered through her tears.

Wallflower was in disbelief. The first person to ever acknowledge her. The first person to ever reach out to her. The person she held dearest, the reason she was in such a better place than before... Was gone.

"This can't be happening..." She whispered to herself, wracked with another fit of violent sobs.

"Sunset..." Twilight whispered, tears streaming down her face.

Like Wallflower, she held Sunset in the highest esteem for the forgiveness and friendship she offered. Twilight felt like she owed the person she was now to her dear, out of place friend. For her, it was like someone had ripped all her hope out of her.

The rest weren't fairing any better. Every one of them were in violent tears. Fluttershy cried into Rainbow Dash's arms. The athlete herself was trying her damnedest not to break down. Applejack attacked the barrier again with renewed vigor, angry tears staining her face.

Vinyl and Octavia quietly cried, supporting each other just to stay upright. Pinkie's hair went completely flat, a look of pure hate never seen before on her face as the tears wouldn't stop falling.

It was in the midst of all this anguish that person responsible spoke up, "This is what happens when you oppose someone so obviously superior."

That broke it for Wallflower. She shot back up, punching the barrier over and over, her own hands bleeding profusely.

"Shut up! She was a better person than you could ever be!" She screamed, angrier than almost anyone had ever heard a person speak, "I'll kill you! I'll fucking kill you!"

"Hmph." Cinch sneered, "If you're so eager, I'll dispose of you next."

Another voice, one familiar like a dream, pulled everyone's attention and stunned them into silence. It was quiet and strained by pain, but also resolute.

"Like hell you will."

Slowly, Sunset Shimmer tried to rise to her feet. She was covered in deep gashes and huge bruises. A generous stream of blood ran from the corners of her mouth.

It took a moment, but slowly, she stood up. If she looked unsteady last time, there wasn't a strong enough word for how she remained upright now. It was as if sheer willpower was the only thing that kept her conscious and able to move at all.

Sunset: 200
Cinch: 3000

"Sunset!" The girls shouted in unison. Their tones were a strange mix of concern, relief, and pure happiness.

"Oh," Cinch commented, trying to keep the amazement out of her tone, "it appears you're still alive."

"I won't let someone like you do me in." Sunset responded, an angry scowl and nashed teeth adorning her expression. Whether from pain or anger, no one could be sure.

"I won't let you hurt Wallflower or any of my friends! I'll beat you right here!" Sunset declared, no uncertainty in her voice.

"While your fortitude must be admired, you must accept you don't stand a chance at this point." Cinch told her with a glare.

"I won't be beaten here." Sunset stated, "I activate the effect of One-Shot Wand! Since my monster did battle, I can destroy it to draw a card!"

With that, Sunset painstakingly raised her arm, pulling a card from the top of her deck.

"Oh!" Octavia realized, "Because Cinch played Limiter Removal, Cyberdark Dragon will be destroyed at the end of her turn!"

"She could still turn this around!" Rainbow shouted.

Cinch chuckled, "Yes, I suppose so... If I were to let that effect follow through. I activate my spell card, De-Fusion!"

In a flash, Cyberdark Dragon broke back into its smaller parts, each of them taking their place on the field.

Cyberdark Horn: 800/800
Cyberdark Keel: 800/800
Cyberdark Edge: 800/800

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 8
Servant of Endymion: 6
Endymion, the MMM: 6

"Dammit!" Applejack cursed, "Them things are back again!"

"Not for long!" Cinch grinned, "I activate Cyberdark Impact! from my hand! This allows me to return these three to my deck and return to me Cyberdark Dragon!"

As Cinch began shuffling the smaller Cyberdarks back into her deck, the maligned dragon reappeared on the field, once again adorned with Infernal Dragon.

Cyberdark Dragon: 3000/1000

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 9
Servant of Endymion: 7
Endymion, the MMM: 7

"No way..." Wallflower gasped.

"All that, and Cinch didn't lose a thing!" Fluttershy cried in fear.

"This..." Twilight couldn't even complete her sentence.

Cinch grinned darkly, "And I think I'll end I'm turn by playing the field spell, Cyberdark Inferno!"

Cyberdark Dragon roared angrily, its entirety bursting into flames. It shook its head for a moment, before calming down and glancing down at Sunset.

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 10
Servant of Endymion: 8
Endymion, the MMM: 8

"That's where I end this turn." Cinch sneered, "Hurry up with yours so I can finish you off!"

"Not gonna happen." Sunset growled, "I draw for turn!"

She quickly looked over the cards in her hand, before turning to the disgraced principal, "Cinch... I win!"

"What?!" Her adversary asked in astonishment.

"I really hope she isn't bluffing..." Octavia whispered.

"She isn't." Wallflower looked to Sunset with tears in her eyes, this time from happiness, "She's got all she needs to win."

"Impossible!" Cinch growled.

"It's very possible!" Sunset shot back, "Haven't you wondered what all my spell counters do? What they're for?"

"Hey, yeah!" Rainbow shouted in realization, "She's been stocking those up since the duel started!"

"And now, I'm gonna use them! First, I'll summon Magister of Endymion in attack mode!" Sunset declared.

Jumping from an unseen spot came a monster in robes of green and gold, adorned with red jewels. A visor covered the creature's face as it held a magical scepter crackling with energy of red and yellow. (LV3 1500/900)

"Well, he means business." Rainbow commented.

"That's your big play?" Cinch mocked, "He can't possibly hope to defeat my dragon!"

"Not on his own." Sunset responded, "Next, I'll remove three spell counters from Servant of Endymion! This allows me to special summon Servant of Endymion from the scale! And she'll go ahead and bring out Reflection of Endymion from my deck as well!"

A strong whirlwind quickly swept through the field, causing both duelists to cover their eyes.

When they looked back, two monsters stood on the field. One was dressed in a white and gold robe, golden ornament in one hand and golden scepter in the other. A circular piece of gold and white architecture hovered behind. (LV7 1850/2700)

The second was in a robe of green and black. A bird-like mask covered her eyes as she wielded two miniature wands in each hand. (LV 3 900/1500)

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 10
Servant of Endymion: 5
Endymion, the MMM: 8

"You may outnumber me in monsters controlled," Cinch sneered, "but my monster is the most powerful one on the field!"

"Good thing I'm not done yet!" Sunset shouted back, "I remove six spell counters from Endymion, The Mighty Master of Magic in order to summon him from the scale!"

Like before, a strong whirlwind ripped through the battlefield. However, within the center was an orb of energy, glowing a powerful red and white.

The orb began to change, taking on the appearance of truly remarkable threat. It was creature adored in robes, this time of black and gold. Various ornamental red gems ran along the fringes. In its hand was a red sphere, a golden arc of steel and the handle of a staff rotated around it. (LV7 2800/1700)

Magical Citadel of Endymion: 10
Servant of Endymion: 5
Endymion, the MMM: 2

"He's still weaker than Cyberdark Dragon!" Cinch shouted.

Sunset smirked in response, "Then it's a good thing for his special ability! I can destroy cards on the field up to the number of cards that can hold a spell counter!"

Cinch recoiled, before grinning, "I suppose you don't know about my field spell! It prevents any of my Cyberdark monsters from being targeted by effects!"

"Dammit!" Vinyl scowled, "She was so close!"

"I hadn't even heard of that field spell before." Octavia added with a grimace.

"You mean all that was for nothing?!" Rainbow shouted in irritation.

"No..." Fluttershy whispered, standing far more rigid than she had been before.

Sunset, however, remained calm in the face of this newly-stated effect of Cyberdark Inferno.

Her thoughts drifted back to earlier in the day, as Wallflower and herself had built and discussed her deck.

~~~~~~~~~

"So, he's definitely the big, bad boss of the deck." Sunset commented, glancing down at her newly acquired Endymion card.

"Heck yeah!" Wallflower nodded, "He's got a lot of text to read, but it all matters."

As the group was walking back to their vehicles from the mall, Wallflower and Sunset had tailed towards the back. Their discussion centered heavily around the newly-minted duelist's recently-made deck.

Sunset had truly felt a connection to her Endymion card, as well as the rest of the deck that supported it.

She smiled down to her deck holder, "I don't know what it is, but they just feel right."

With that, she slipped Endymion back into the holder as well.

Wallflower darted in front of Sunset, halting them for a moment. She stopped her steps in the face of the gardener's new position.

"What?" Sunset asked, smirking in amusement.

"There's one other thing that makes Endymion's effect so ridiculous." Wallflower stated playfully.

"And what's that?" Sunset asked, raising an eyebrow.

"That is, Endymion's effect..."

~~~~~~~~~~

In response to Cinch's claims and her friends' concerns, Sunset smiled slightly.

"And what's so funny?!" Cinch growled.

"What's funny," Sunset responded, "is that Endymion's destruction effect is non-targeting!"

"What?!" Cinch shouted.

"Now that's a great conclusion to a duel!" Pinkie laughed.

"Endymion is the strongest card in Sunset's deck!" Wallflower shouted, "He can nuke the field and he doesn't target a damned thing!"

"No!" Cinch shouted, now realizing what that meant.

Quickly, Endymion raised its free hand. In one fluid motion, it swing its arm in an arc. Bolts of lightening shot out, piercing Cyberdark Dragon through.

In roared in resistance, before shatting into the many parts that made the horror come to life.

"Impossible!" Cinch shouted in fear.

"Afraid it's not!" Sunset declared, "Now, I'm going to end this! Everyone attack!"

At that, the geode around her neck began glowing again, brighter than ever before. And it wasn't the only one.

The geodes around the other girls necks began to glow as well. A beam of light shot from each one, directly to Sunset.

In a flash, the nightmare of Cinch once again took shape.

Sunset stood proud, once again adorned in the dress of white and red. All the injuries that had previously tattered her body began to heal before everyone's eyes.

Steadily, she began to float, and in an explosion of light, those wings of fire from the day she had defeated Midnight Sparkle once again took to the night sky.

Cinch began to back away, seeing the vision that had haunted her dreams return to life. All her planning, all her work, everything... Was about to be undone by this child a second time.

"No way!" Twilight shouted in awe.

"It's definitely about to be over!" Rainbow cheered in triumph.

Pinkie jumped excitedly, shaking Fluttershy's shoulders. Applejack took off her hat, grinning ear to ear.

Octavia and Vinyl happily leaned into each other, seeing Sunset once again achieve her status that had been affectionately monickered both 'Daylight Shimmer' and 'Daydream Shimmer' by the students of CHS and Crystal Prep.

"Still beautiful..." Wallflower whispered, smiling contently as a blush spread through her cheeks.

"This is where we end it." Sunset declared.

Without another word, she raised her palms towards the disgraced principal. Her monsters followed suit, pointing their scepters in the same fashion towards their opponent.

Endymion looked towards its master, and to the surprise of everyone, gave a resolute nod.

In unison, they shot their waves of magic at ex-principal Cinch.

The energy combined, forming a single massive beam of pure white light.

In response, Cinch crossed her arms, as a veil of darkness surrounded her. But it didn't stand a chance.

Without even the slightest hint of resistance, the shadows we're cut through, sending the target flying back into the barrier around the battlefield at high velocity.

Cinch landed on her feet from the impact, much to everyone's surprise but Sunset's, only to crumple to the ground almost immediately after.

Sunset: 200
Cinch: 0

Sunset stayed unmoving for a moment, before she slowly lowered herself to the ground. She looked amongst her monsters, who had all turned to face her. In unison, they nodded before dissipating.

Sunset herself let her magical transformation fade. Once she had returned to her usual appearance, she fell to the ground on one knee. She winced. While the massive injuries that had hobbled her had been healed, there was still pain coursing through.

Finally, the barriers that kept the girls trapped and Sunset separated fell. At once, the girls made a mad dash to their victorious friend.

Wallflower got there first, enveloping her in a gentle but compassionate embrace. She nuzzled her face into Sunset's, earning a subtle blush and relaxed smile.

Seconds later, the entire group joined in on the hug, happy to see that she was still in one piece.

"Sunset." Wallflower smiled, "You did amazing."

"Totally awesome!" Rainbow shouted, patting their victorious friend on the shoulder a bit too rough.

Applejack gently set her hand on Sunset's shoulder, "Mighty fine piece o work there, if Ah do say so mahself."

"Main character powers!" Pinkie shouted, much to the amused confusion of the group.

"Rookie, eh?" Vinyl asked, "Sure didn't play like it!"

"Indeed." Octavia agreed, "You played to your deck's strengths very well."

Sunset smiled, "I can't really take too much credit. Wallflower here taught me most of it on our way back to your place."

"Yeah, once!" Wallflower laughed, "The fact you remembered all of it's just crazy."

Their reverie was quickly broken, however, by the sound of a thunderous snap.

They all turned to see a massive crack run through the center of the crystal that Cinch had summoned.

A roar turned their attention to the fallen adversary. Shadows began to bleed out of the fallen principal, until they formed the vague shape of an angry creature. It appeared almost like a wolf, completely pitch-black, save for green eyes of malicious flame.

"Oh, my..." Fluttershy said, folding in on herself slightly.

"Wot in the..." Applejack breathed.

"Great." Rainbow groaned.

Twilight tensed up nervously, putting herself in front of Vinyl and Octavia. Meanwhile, for whatever reason, Pinkie Pie had impatient look of annoyance on her face.

After a few seconds, another crack formed in the crystal. This caused the new threat to roar once again, before being pulled into it in an almost comical fashion. Like water being poured from a vase, it slowly was pulled into the crystal.

Once all of it had disappeared, the crystal shattered into innumerable pieces. Then, those pieces faded from existence, removing almost all traces of the battle that had just been waged.

At that, Cinch groaned, forcing herself to her feet, "Damn it all."

This time, it was her battered from the attacks waged in the Shadow Duel. The former principal was covered in scuffs, bruises, and scratches across her entire body. A furious scowl was angrily directed at the girls.

"Where am I?" She growled, "And why am I in this condition? Perhaps most importantly, what are you lot doing here?!"

The girls confusedly looked among themselves. Was she faking? She had to be. How could she forget everything that just happened?

"That'd be on you." Sunset scowled, "You're the one who lured us here!"

"Preposterous!" Cinch sneered, "Why would I want you lot here for?!"

"Well," Pinkie spoke up, earning sighs from her friends, "youtotallyusedthiscrazypowerofdarknesstosetoffTwilight'smagicdetectorwhichpulledushereandthenyouforcedSunsettoduelyouandallthedamagewasreal!"

After that, Pinkie furiously sucked in air, before leaning on Fluttershy's shoulder, "And then you totally lost!"

"Dammit, Pinkie..." Rainbow groaned.

"Ridiculous!" Cinch declared, "Where would I... have..."

The former principal trailed off, much to the confusion of the group. After a moment, she grit her teeth, "Those insufferable welps! They used me!"

"Wait!" Twilight shouted, "Who used you? What are you even talking about? What did you do, Cinch?!"

"Hmm..."

"Ugh, spit it out!" Wallflower shouted.

"I'm weighing the 'enemy of my enemy' adage." Cinch sneered, "While I can't stand the lot of you brats, I hate being manipulated even more."

"Well, one of the two groups used dark magic and brainwashed you, before putting you in a life-or-death battle with a teenager. The other beat you in a school rivalry and got you fired." Vinyl said, rolling her eyes, "Gee, wonder which is worse?"

"You might as well tell us, Cinch." Sunset spoke up, "Or you'll be seeing a lot more of us until you do."

Cinch scowled. Either way, she'd be benefitting a group she'd love nothing more than to see burn into ashes.

However, eventually, her self-preservation won out over her hatred for being kicked from her career and legacy.

"Here's what I know," She gritted out, "there's a group of individuals none too fond of you lot. They plan to eliminate you and take your powers for whatever they have planned. In this case, they want those blasted crystals around your neck."

"Someone's after our geodes?!" Twilight asked, aghast.

"Indeed." Cinch confirmed, "I can't tell you anymore than that."

With that, she strode past the girls and towards the exit, "Now, I'd prefer to never see you brats again. Good luck with your new enemies, try not to get destroyed."

She glanced over her shoulder to them, "Despite how detestable I find you, the enslavement of the world isn't a better alternative."

After that last little statement, she strode out of the cave, not turning back once. The girls waited for Cinch to have been out of sight for several moments before speaking.

"It okay ta let her go?" Applejack asked.

"She's not worth any extra effort." Octavia sighed.

"I don't like the sound of that..." Fluttershy mumbled.

"Well, we found something she hates more than us..." Sunset thought aloud.

Rainbow nodded, "Nobody wants to be brainwashed."

"And apparently death or evil syndicate world domination is also above us on that list." Rarity added.

"New magical threats. Great." Wallflower said sarcastically.

Suddenly, Sunset began to fall over. Pinkie and Wallflower moved quickly, catching the girl. They all looked around, concerned.

"Sunset!" Twilight shouted in fear.

Octavia quickly made her way over to the girl, placing two fingers on her neck. After a moment, the cellist sighed.

"She's fine. Just unconscious."

"Still not great." Wallflower said, looking at Sunset in concern.

"Then let's get the hell outta here." Vinyl suggested.

She was met with unified nods of agreement.

"Let's get back to my house." Octavia ordered.

~~~~~~~~~~

In complete darkness, a single candle flickered atop a long steel table. The small flame being the only light visible. Around the table, a void of nothingness surrounded it on all sides.

"Cinch failed." A voice spoke from amongst the darkness.

Slowly, seven figures stepped from the darkness and into the edges of candlelight. Each adorned with a black robe that obscured all identity and a stylized "V" on the left breast. Every robe had a different color on the fringe of the hood.

"She wasn't a real one of us, anyway. Just a little drone run." Another voice called out, this one high-pitched and valley girl-like.

"Just let me at em. I'll rip em apart in a duel or a fight." A gruff, yet higher-pitched male voice declared.

"If it was that easy, Cinch would've won." Another male voice, this one deeper, said with a tone of amusement.

"Wasn't a total waste." A female voice noticably deeper than the other spoke, "A good amount of Ener-D was gathered by the crystal. Enough of that, and we're really cooking."

"Not a loss, at all." Another voice, male with the presence of a European accent agreed.

"Indeed, we got what was necessary." A confident, southern male voice called out. "I didn't expect Cinch to succeed. We've gotten all we will from her. Don't waste another thought on that one."

As he spoke, his accent changed from southern, to mimicing a royal voice. By the end of his sentence, it became more arrogant and mocking.

"Oh, all seven of us are here." The valley girl spoke again.

"Cool." The other woman commented.

"Great." The deeper-toned male spoke, amusement evident.

"I didn't even notice." A regal, subdued male voice spoke.

"Can't see a damned thing with these hoods on." The gruff voice spoke again.

"Enough." The southern turned arrogant accent ordered, "It's suffice to say that our enemies are strong in ability and in heart. But we must not waver. The power we can summon with the darkness could be used to truly fix the world. It must come to pass."

"True words spoken." The European agreed again.

"Thus," the constantly changing voice continued, "we must continue to strive for it. From this evil will be berthed greater good. The seeds of Shadow Agents have already been planted. Our dreams of a utopia will come to pass, with us at the head. For the Void!"

"For the Void!" The others chanted in unison.

Author's Note:

Is it sad I've been writing this aggressively for the last week and for many hours today?

Dont forget to comment and upvote if you dig it!