• Published 10th Oct 2019
  • 356 Views, 1 Comments

What It Means To Be A Dragon - FluttershyLover55



Longing to be a hero, Spike visits a village of dragons in the Badlands as an ambassador. But...is there more to it, than there seeems to be?

  • ...
2
 1
 356

Chapter Fourteen:How To Win A Sword Fight, Part One

What It Means To Be A Dragon
Chapter 14-How To Win A Sword Fight, Part One

The courtyard of the castle was very similar, to the one that Spike had trained with Celestia in. For about a week, Spike had trained with Jiran to learn how to properly use a sword. It was slow going, but his skill had steadily increased to at least, half of Jiran's. Jiran was a master, and soon, Spike had learned just about everything there was to learn about a blade. How to temper a blade, guard, parry, thrust, and even swipe one.

Today was the day. Spike would have to hold his own against the Elder, his Sensei. The dragon was sitting there, lost in thought. "I wonder how the others back home, are doing. They haven't talked to me in a while, and I've been too busy to contact them. Maybe, after I'm done training, I'll have the time. Sensei said that if I can beat him, the dragon is as good as gone, but I'm not sure I'm ready."

A voice snapped him back into reality. "Young dragon warrior, it is time!"

Spike got off of the bench, and walked over to the center of the courtyard, where Jiran was waiting. Jiran handed him an actual sword, instead of a wooden one. This sword was made of steel, with a bronze hilt.

"Well, at least this one won't break." Spike thought, remembering all of the wooden swords that had just split in two, during his training.

"Now, in this final test, you will have to defeat me. Just remember everything I've taught you, and it should be fine."

Spike nodded. "I'll do my best."

"Very well, let us begin."

They circled each other, a good distance apart, student and teacher. Spike charged forward, intending to do a forward thrust, but Jiran's blade was there to block it. Spike was pushed back, as a loud 'clang' sounded, a byproduct of steel on steel contact. Jiran blocked every blow, but Spike was NO slouch. No blows were able to touch him, either.

"Haha, I've trained you well. This is the most fun I've had, in years!" Jiran exclaimed.

The mood was supposed to be serious, but the fight was light-hearted, since both of them weren't trying to hurt each other. Spike was gaining confidence with each move that he blocked, but too much, isn't good for anypony. Spike moved in to swipe sideways, but he wasn't fast enough to dodge the vertical strike that ripped into his right shoulder, sending ripples of pain through his body. The mood quickly changed to serious, now that an attack had been landed. The Elder was trying to take down Spike, who was trying to survive long enough to take HIM out.

This was bad for the baby dragon, since he couldn't swing his sword, without cringing in pain. Blood cascaded down his arm, dripping onto the ground, and leaving a small trail where he moved. The Elder knew that he had Spike on the ropes, as the injured dragon began to get slower in dodging attacks. The Elder leapt forth, swiping diagonally at Spike, who jumped back just a second, too late. A cut now stung on his cheek, where the sword had grazed it. Spike lost balance when he jumped, tripping and falling onto his back. Sensei Jiran stood over him, staring him down. For some reason, Spike felt sleepy.

He closed his eyes, still holding onto the sword, which glowed faintly.