• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 2,058 Views, 109 Comments

Equestria Girls: Duel Monsters Arc 2 - Night-Quill



Sunset Shimmer strives to prove herself a changed person, all the while her fellow students around her seek to prove a newfound dominance over her as duelists. Behind the scenes, three girls arrive at CHS who might not be all that they appear to be.

  • ...
9
 109
 2,058

Duel #32: New Arrivals pt. 2

“Duelists; you may begin.”

Rainbow Dash deployed the golden yellow tray on her blue duel disk, her deck compartment rattling at the run of the automated shuffler. “Just because this is a test don’t mean I’ll make this easy on you, new girl,” said the rainbow-haired athlete in her usual bravado. Either Aria Blaze did not care, or based on how she was more focused on Sunset sitting in the bleachers, she did not hear. “Uh… Hello? Your opponent, remember?”

Aria’s cold, steely eyes darted to stare directly at Rainbow’s. The athlete did not respond, not outwardly in the very least. No doubt her ego was too much to ebb away, particularly before a new arrival. “I said; don’t think I’ll make this-”

“I heard you,” said Aria coldly. “You’ll have my full attention when I think you’re worth my time, skittles.”

“Ha-ha,” Rainbow mock laughed, “how very original.”

The virtual coin flip engaged, landing heads for Rainbow.

“Duel!”

Rainbow Dash Life Points: 4000

Aria Blaze Life Points: 4000

Turn 1: Rainbow Dash (Hand: 5)

“Here we go,” she fanned out her starting hand. “I summon ‘Flying Kamakiri’ in defense mode.”

Emerging to Rainbow’s field came a dark green humanoids insect: Its body covered in plates of segmented chitin, with two pairs of iridescent wings folded over its back. It knelt down, crossing the topmost two of its four arms over its head, consisting largely of just its large compound eyes and mandibles, while its lower two arms clutched at the floor. (Level 4, 1400/900)

“I set two cards, then end my turn.” The fact this turn went over so quickly seemed almost disappointing, since Rainbow tended to go about with more elaborate, gung-ho styles of play when having access to her personal deck. “Show me what you got.”

(Hand: 2)

Turn 2: Aria Blaze (Hand: 5)

The newcomer drew her first card, going over her hand stoically before placing it among her repertoire. She then proceeded to place a card into her graveyard port, “I discard ‘Warrior of Atlantis’ from my hand to add ‘A Legendary Ocean’ into my hand.” She then proceeded to insert the card into her spell and trap port and ticked the screen. “I then activate it.”

In a flash of blue, the entire gymnasium became enveloped in a hint of blue. Bubbles began to climb up vertically, whilst an assortment of random, colorful tropical fish began to flit about. Growths of coral, chunks of undersea rocks and even bits of distinctly Greek looking architecture such as columns and arches materialized around them, and the wooden flood was enveloped by pearly white sand. The simulation that they were all underwater, which some of the students seemed to take in a hint of wonderment, despite their artificial nature. Notably Pinkie eyeing a grumpy looking puffer fish swimming past her.

“A Legendary Ocean decreases the levels of all water monsters in our hands and field by one. And their attack points are all increased by 200.” Aria then took a different card from her hand, slapping it on her tray, “I then summon ‘The Legendary Fisherman II’ in attack mode.”

From a vertical portal appearing before her, her monster came literally riding to battle: A wiry, but well-muscled man with spiky blue hair held back with a red cloth bandana tied around his forehead, the only other articles of clothing being a blue ragged loincloth and metal anklets worn over bandages wrapped around his feet and ankles. His steed was seemingly a small orca-like cetacean, only instead of being black and white, its back side was streaked with purple blazes. Grasped in the man’s hands was a large crossbow, affixed with a bolt so long it might as well be a short spear with a large, attenuating tip. (Level 5 -> 4, 2200 -> 2400/1800)

Aria pointed abrasively at Rainbow’s now environmentally out of place monster, “Legendary Fisherman, attack Flying Kamakiri!”

In compliance, Legendary Fisherman trained his bowgun at Flying Kamakiri (ATK: 2200). With a pronounced, metallic “pa-twang” the bolt was propelled at Flying Kamakiri (DEF: 900). In but a blink of an eye, the oversized projectile became gruesomely embedded in the insect’s head, before erupting into pixels.

“Flying Kamakiri’s effect,” Rainbow responded, flicking over her screen, “when destroyed in battle, Flying Kamakiri lets me summon a wind-monster with 1500 or less attack points from my deck… I summon ‘Whirlwind Prodigy’ in attack mode.”

To Rainbow’s field was brought a human boy; a strangely regular looking one at that, with spiky brown hair adorned with a pointed cap, garbed in a raggedy brown tunic and frayed, cream trousers. If there was feature that made her perfect for Rainbow was the smug smile on his face. (Level 4 1500/1600)

Aria looked over the field over her nose, seeming quite disinterested in the spectacle before her. She unfanned her cards into a neat stack in her hand, “I end my turn.”

(Hand: 4)

A mostly strange choice, thought Sunset, since Aria had a sizable four-card hand to work off of. Or perhaps, as she suspected with Sonata, Aria wasn’t even taking the match all too seriously. It would be intriguing to find out further what their decks could do against proper opponents coinciding with their skill levels.

Turn 3: Rainbow Dash (Hand: 2)

Rainbow made her first draw of the match, “Alright, so you clearly think this is a joke? Fair enough, I mean if this was the real me you were taking on, I’d had you on the ropes since before this thing even began, but don’t think it’s going to be that easy to get into our school.” She took a card from her hand, “I sacrifice Whirlwind Prodigy to Tribute Summon ‘Simorgh, Bird of Divinity’ in attack mode!”

With a swirling funnel cloud, Whirlwind Prodigy was consumed by it, growing rapidly in breadth until a pair of brilliant green wings blew it away, accented with a screeching call. To her field emerged a gargantuan bird, covered in a glamorous green plumage. Its flight feathers appeared to be partially translucent, like some fine silken veil, whereas its tail was composed of fanned out golden plumes interspersed with long, flowy green ones, a more immaculate peacock. Behind its back was a runed, golden halo, and its crested head adorned what looked like a small dome crown. (Level 7, 2700/1000)

“Whirlwind Prodigy counts as two tributes when summoning a wind monster,” said Rainbow, to clear out any possible inconsistencies. “To battle! I attack Legendary Fisherman with Simorgh!”

The great bird Simorgh (ATK: 2700) spread out its great wings; from the ground a gust of wind picked up, coalescing into a miniaturized tornado that skidded along the (hologram) sand of A Legendary Ocean. The funnel sped at Legendary Fisherman (ATK: 2400), swallowing him and his cetacean steed and pushing them upwards off the field.

Aria Blaze Life Points: 4000 – 300 = 3700

“When The Legendary Fisherman II is removed from the field, I can add a level 7 water monster from my deck to my hand,” said Aria, her automated shuffler engaging before ejecting her card of choice.

“During each end phase, Simorgh, Bird of Divinity deals 1000 points of damage to both of us,” said Rainbow, making Aria raise a disinterested brow. “However, for each spell and trap we each control, that damage goes down by 500. I take zero, you take 500.”

A violent gust suddenly enveloped the field, causing even all the projected fish to swim away in fright. Rainbow’s two set cards rose up, backsides at the front, as if to somehow shield her from the storm.

Aria Blaze Life Points: 3700 – 500 = 3200

(Hand: 2)

Turn 4: Aria Blaze (Hand: 4)

“Please tell me you can get past this,” said Rainbow in a taunting manner, “because this was old before I even enrolled here.”

“You just love to hear yourself talk, don’t you?” grumbled Aria as she drew her next card. “In my experience, talking means you’re compensating for lack of something.”

Rainbow snorted, “A captain has to be able to talk the talk as much as kick ass.”

“Whatever you say,” said Aria with a bob of her shoulders. “I play ‘Monster Reborn’ to bring back The Legendary Fisherman II.” A white portal opened over the sand, with Legendary Fisherman remerging to the field atop his marine steed (Level 5 -> 4, 2200 -> 2400/1800). “I then sacrifice him to Special Summon from my hand ‘The Legendary Fisherman III’ in attack mode.”

A swirl of bubbles surrounded Legendary Fisherman, cloaking him in aqueous curtain. When unveiling, he’d been replaced by a similar being: A muscled, tanned human male with wild red hair, her body covered in arcing tattoos at various locations. Garbed in but a shredded pair of shorts and a cloth satchel across his body, as well as bandages wrapped tightly around his forearms, hands, shins and feet, he brandished a proper, heavyset harpoon gun. Like his predecessor, he rode on the back of a waterborne steed: A giant black dolphin, so large the man could freely stand atop it, its front half emblazoned with a white crest, and a great red jewel embedded in its forehead, complementing its ominous red eyes. (Level 7 -> 6, 2500 -> 2700/2000)

“When Special Summoned, The Legendary Fisherman III lets me banish all monsters you control currently, though I can’t attack with him the turn this effect is used.”

“Trap activate: ‘Compulsory Evacuation Device’!” Rainbow responded. “This sends your Fisherman back into your hand!”

An amused smirk crept on Aria’s lips, “The Legendary Fisherman III is unaffected by spells and traps. Therefore, your trap is worthless.”

Legendary Fisherman aimed his harpoon gun towards Simorgh. On being launched, the harpoon split into two in flight, which unveiled a net held between the two that seemed to expand as it went before binding Simorgh. The divine bird screeched in protest when its form vanished in a ripple.

“I end my turn.”

(Hand: 4)

Turn 5: Rainbow Dash (Hand: 2)

Rainbow drew her next card, after which she slid it into her hand and picked a different card, “I banish ‘Flying Kamakiri’ from my graveyard in order to Special Summon ‘Garuda the Wind Spirit’ in defense.”

On fulfilling the requirements, to Rainbow’s field in a flurry, materialized a khaki-skinned humanoid: Its body that of a man, his legs, garbed in red pants, ending in taloned bird feet, his head that of an arrow-beaked brown bird, with great wings on his back. (Level 4, 1600/1200)

“Not much I can do now. These test decks aren’t exactly the best, you know,” said Rainbow with a shrug. “I end my turn.”

(Hand: 2)

Turn 6: Aria Blaze (Hand: 4)

“Talk is cheap,” Aria remarked with a wry smile as she drew her next card. “I summon Codarus in attack mode.”

To her field emerged a dragonic looking sea-serpent: Its elongated body covered in deep blue scales from head to tail, ending in a fish-like fin. In its forehead sat a green gem, the sides of its head jutted what looked to be external gills, while just below where its neck ended, a pair of vestigial, clawed forelimbs sprouted. (Level 4 -> 3, 1800/1200)

“I activate Codarus’ effect: By sending A Legendary Ocean to the graveyard,” In a strange display; the water seemingly flushed away into Aria’s graveyard port, followed by the sand, coral and structures vanishing, “I send two cards on your field to the graveyard.”

Rainbow watched as her set card’s image faded away. Forced to comply, she took Garuda’s card and slid it into the graveyard port. Sunset could gleam from spectator mode that the set card was Reload, nothing breathtaking, if all that great.

“Now, using The Legendary Fisherman III’s effect: I return all your banished cards back to your graveyard…” As she stated so, Legendary Fisherman swung out a net, releasing an entire catch’s worth of fish that vanished soon on leaving their prison, “The first bit of damage you take this turn is doubled. I then attack you directly with Legendary Fisherman!”

Affixing a new harpoon to his weapon (ATK: 2500), Legendary Fisherman took aim directly at Rainbow Dash. With another violent “ka-thunk”, the metallic projectile was propelled towards her, embedding into her forcefield before vanishing.

Rainbow Dash Life Points: 4000 – 5000 = -1000

Aria Blaze victory!

Not quite as grandiose as Sonata’s display, but it worked. Legendary Fisherman and his mount faded away, followed shortly by Aria’s duel disk deactivating. Her focus seemed to have returned back to Sunset, watching as she stepped aside, same as Rainbow came up and sat next to her. She seemed to peek around for good measure before sighing heavily.

“What’s wrong?” asked Sunset, seeing Rainbow shudder slightly.

“Just doesn’t feel right when you can’t be yourself, you know,” said the athlete.

“You didn’t have to take Mr. Turner up on it,” remarked Sunset, when the speakers sputtered once more.

“Aria Blaze, you are officially admitted into CHS. Congratulations,” said Principal Celestia up from the stage. “And the last of our new entries: Miss Adagio Dazzle, you will face Mister Night Quill. Both duelists, please take your places.”

Sunset watched as the last of the new students stepped up to where her fellows were, while on their side Night Quill stepped up, deploying his green duel disk with a brazen tray, followed with Adagio deploying hers; scarlet with a golden tray.

“Duelists, you may begin!” called Vice-principal Luna.

“Best of luck,” said Night Quill with a nudge of his hat, “though I get the inkling you’re not going to need it, like your fellows.”

Adagio chuckled, “Please, if that’s your best try at flattering, I’m afraid you’re severely lacking.”

Night Quill shrugged, “Well pardon me for being polite.”

The virtual coin toss initiated, landing in Night Quill’s favor.

“Duel!”

Night Quill Life Points: 4000

Adagio Dazzle Life Points: 4000

Turn 1: Night Quill (Hand: 5)

“War does not determine who is right – only who is left,” said Night Quill, as he fanned out his hand. “I start by summoning Gold Gadget in attack mode.”

To his field arose a small robotic creature with an overall circular structure, accented with golden plating forming curved shapes along its sides, along with spindly arms and legs. A tiny dome with a single black visor sat atop the structure. The placement of the golden plates gave it the look of a cogwheel or a gear. (Level 4, 1700/800)

“When summoned; Gold Gadget lets me Special Summon a level 4 or lower machine monster from my hand: I summon ‘Yellow Gadget’ in defense mode.”

Beside the more incandescent Gold Gadget arose a similar sized, yellow toy-like robot with halves of a cogwheel affixed to its back, its groin area being split by a thinner, smaller cog, from the center of which its spindly legs extended from, and a single green eye peering from a cylindrical tube atop its body. (Level 4 1200/1200)

“When summoned, Yellow Gadget lets me add one ‘Green Gadget’ from my deck to my hand.” His automated shuffler activated, ejecting the specific card for him to take. “Over to you.”

(Hand: 4)

Turn 2: Adagio Dazzle (Hand: 5)

Adagio drew he first card, going over her fanned hand with a contemplative pout. “Hmm, history buff, are you? Then maybe you’ll appreciate these,” she remarked as she slid the drawn card into her hand and picked out another. “I summon ‘Atlantean Dragoons’ in attack mode.”

To her field arose a green humanoid, garbed in a heavy golden suit of armor engraved with intricate engravings, whilst on the top of its head and sides of its jaws extended bright yellow fins. It carried an equally brilliant gold trident, and was astride atop a vicious looking creature reminiscent of a dragon and a seahorse with matching brilliant golden scales. (Level 4, 1800/0)

“Atlantean…? Atlantis?” Night Quill huffed. “Please; there’s no historical record of the sort. Not to mention Atlantis was meant to be a fabled city of humans, based on Greek storytellers. Although it is quite the fascinating allegory for one’s perception of the state.”

“Sometimes people find it hard to tell the difference between mythology and fantasy,” mused Adagio. “I then play ‘Double Summon’, granting me an additional Normal Summon this turn.” A glowing ring appeared over on Adagio’s side of the field. “I also summon ‘Atlantean Marksman’ in attack mode.

Beside Atlantean Dragoons arose another aquatic humanoid: This one much more reminiscent of a fish than a human, with big round eyes that looked strangely unfocused, pronounced pink lips and conical teeth peeking out from behind them. It was garbed in comparatively lighter, emerald armor with golden linings, wielding a heavy crossbow with drastically spiked limbs and a tri-point bolt. (Level 4, 1400/0)

“I then attack with ‘Atlantean Marksman.’”

“Why would you attack when both my monsters’ attack and defense exceed yours?” asked Night Quill.

Adagio smirked in response, just as Atlantean Marksman (ATK: 1400) trained its crossbow, and fired. The trident-like bolt whizzed past the Gadgets and struck Night Quill’s forcefield with a harsh clang.

Night Quill Life Points: 4000 – 1400 = 2600

“When out on the field, Atlantean Dragoons allow level 3 or lower sea serpent monsters to attack directly. Also when Atlantean Marksman inflicts battle damage, it lets me Special Summon a level 4 or lower ‘Atlantean’ from my deck.” Her automated shuffler rattled, ejecting a card that she brought to her tray, “To this end I summon ‘Atlantean Attack Squad’ in attack mode.”

Another fish-like humanoid emerged to Adagio’s field: Physically identical to Marksman, it instead donned dark red, less intricate armor, and brandished a gleaming, curved sword in its right hand, and an inward curving broad shield. (Level 3, 1400 -> 2200/0)

“What the-?!” Night Quill managed to utter before being interrupted by his foe.

“As long as I control another sea serpent, Atlantean Attack Squad’s attack points increase by 800. To this end I attack you directly once more!”

With a gurgling growl, Atlantean Attack Squad (ATK: 2200) dashed forth, delivering a brutal downward swipe at Night Quill, stopping against his forcefield with a resonating bang, the remarkably high damage inflicted causing his arm to be kicked back by the system feedback.

Night Quill Life Points 2600 – 2200 = 400

“And finally, Atlantean Dragoons attacks Gold Gadget.”

Bucking its brilliant mount into action, Atlantean Dragoons (ATK 1800) charged forth, lance brandished forward as it sped towards the awaiting Gold Gadget (ATK: 1700). The gleaming armament struck the small robot squarely in the single ocular sensor in its head pinpoint, causing it to explode.

Night Quill Life Points: 400 – 100 = 300

“When Gold Gadget is destroyed, I can Special Summon a ‘Gadget’ monster from my deck, aside from Gold Gadget,” said Night Quill, his deck being once again shuffled before extending him his card of choice. “I summon Red Gadget in defense position.”

To Night’s field hopped another small toy-like robot: This one was a bright red with thick blocky hands and feet and a ball-shaped head with two eyes. A large cogwheel or gear was affixed to its back. (Level 4, 1300/1500)

“Hmm, if only you’d summoned that toy of yours in attack mode. These duels are so dreadfully boring…” mused Adagio, playfully holding her hand cards to her lips. “But I suppose rules are rules for a reason. I set one card, then over to you, boy.”

(Hand: 2)

Turn 3: Night Quill (Hand: 4)

Night Quill drew his next card, “It’s clear I’ve lost, but as a respectable student of CHS, I must persevere, and will not go down without a fight.” He indicated his field. “I sacrifice my Red and Yellow Gadgets, to Tribute Summon ‘Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon’!”

The two gadget’s shapes faded in ripples of light. With a bursting gale, over the field materialized a giant, mechanical creature, letting loose a metallic, rattling roar, accented by the red and grinding of gears: It was a large, faded green robot dragon, with frayed wings made of very thin sheets of metal. Instead of electronics, its internal workings were composed of an intricate series of gearworks and cogs. A long, segmented tail extended at the base of its body, and its head seemed made of the canopy of an old airplane. A faint, red, eerie glow shone from one of its window eyes. At the base of its neck were three gear-shaped indentations, to which two of them were attacked Yellow and Red Gadget. (Level 8, 3000/2000)

“I attack your Atlantean Dragoons with Gadjiltron Dragon!” Night ordered, to which his mechanical dragon (ATK: 3000) rattled in compliance, lashing out with its segmented tail which crushed the mounted aquatic warrior (ATK: 1800).

Adagio Dazzle Life Points: 4000 – 1200 = 2800

“Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon’s effects are determined based on the colored ‘Gadgets’ used to summon it: With Red Gadget; any time Gadjiltron Dragon inflicts battle damage; it inflicts an additional 400 damage to you. And with Yellow Gadget, when it destroys a monster, it deals another 600 damage.”

On the indirect command, Gadjiltron Dragon opened its maw and began to rattle like a rapid-fire gun: It appeared to fire a volley of gears at Adagio, ricocheting off her forcefield.

Adagio Dazzle Life Points: 2800 – 1000 = 1800

“I set one card, then end my turn.”

(Hand: 4)

Turn 4: Adagio Dazzle (Hand: 2)

Adagio grinned amusedly as she drew her next card, “Boldly stated, but when I want something, I get it, one way or the other.” She slid card into her disk, “I set one card, then I summon ‘Neptabyss, the Atlantean Prince’ in attack mode.”

This next monster was very contrasting compared to the humanoid fish Adagio had utilized so far: A young human male with a sleek, but very toned musculature visible through the rather revealing pearly blue armor he adorned. His wild purplish brown hair splayed out in long, tendril-like plaits, held out of the way by a simple triangular gold circlet, while from his back fanned out a series of aqua blue streaks of cloth. In one hand he wielded an elegantly curving golden trident. (Level 1, 800/0)

“Neptabyss’ effect: By sending an ‘Atlantean’ monster from my deck to the Graveyard,” her automated shuffler once again engaged, “I can add a different Atlantean card to my hand. Now, with three level 3 or below sea serpents on my field, the terms of set: By sending all my monsters on my field to the Graveyard, I summon the true lord of the seas: Arise, Poseidra, the Atlantean Dragon’!

All three of Adagio’s monsters were encircled by a blue ring of light arising from beneath them. In a swirl of light, their forms vanished, the three rings coalescing and expanding into a single, much larger one. A fearsome roar called down from within. Arising from the blue, a new, greater creature stood before everyone watching: A deep blue, serpentine dragon, its back lined with golden plates, gaps leaving room for the great yellow crest in its middle back. A glistening trident head was adhered to the tip of its tail, and golden rings were adorned around the long, upward swerving horns protruding from the sides of its head, over wide extended neck frills. (Level 7 2800/1600)

“When Poseidra, the Atlantean Dragon is summoned through its effect, all spell and trap cards return to out hands,” she said as both her and Night’s set cards vanished from their respective fields with a water-like ripple. “Then, since three were returned at once, all your monsters lose 300 attack points times each card returned this way.

With a commanding roar, a downward gout of water blasted down from up above onto Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon, the pressurized force pushing the legless automaton to the ground. The gaps and cracks in its aged chassis leaked with liquids as it tried in vain to get out of the hazard. (ATK: 3000 – 900 = 2100).

“Poseidra attacks Gadjiltron Dragon. Finish this!” Adagio commanded, pointing at the grounded Gadjiltron Dragon.

Poseidra (ATK: 2800) opened its toothy maw, aqueous ripples surging into its mouth in preparation before unleashing a torrential blast of force onto the mechanical dragon. The faded green metal began to contort and bend underneath the force blast, until the projection shattered into pixels, wiping out the measly remaining 400 life points Night had remaining.

Night Quill Life Points: 400 – 700 = -300

Adagio Dazzle victory!

And with all three tests concluded, Principal Celestia declared for the third time, “Miss Dazzle, Miss Blaze and Miss Dusk: On behalf of all of us present: We welcome you all to CHS. Congratulations.”

As her duel disk disengaged, Adagio Dazzle looked up to the members of faculty overseeing the tests, a polite, humble smile on her face as she nodded graciously, “I believe I speak for all three of us; we thank you, Principal Celestia. I’m certain our time here will be most… edifying.”

As Adagio looked over the gathered student body, Sunset could not shake the feeling that this Adagio too seemed to take quite the long moment to focus on her from across the gym. As everyone else had begun to prepare for departure, she came face-to-face with someone else: Night Quill, his duel disk still engaged, looking down at her still seated. His face appeared to exhibit no direct emotion, but there was something much deeper peering from within his grayish blue eyes. She remembered: Derpy had told her he was among those who’d made the wager for her downfall…

“Sunset Shimmer; before our fellow students, and our new arrivals, I challenge you, to a duel.”

Author's Note:

This was undoubtedly the most boring chapter I've made so far. Regardless, next time is meant to be a tribute to what got this project going in the first place, hence something slightly different coming up next time.