• Published 11th Jul 2019
  • 681 Views, 5 Comments

Doing the Double Shuffle - The FraudulentBrit



Tender Taps meets a new friend.

  • ...
 5
 681

A New Beginning

Doing the Double Shuffle

Chapter 5; A new Beginning.

“Good Morning!” Tender Taps called out into the guest room, or rather, Double Shuffle’s new room. The filly was, however, dead asleep. “Double Shuffle?” Tender Taps asked, still receiving no response. Tender Taps thought of what to do, and then he got a very mischievous idea. Tip toeing towards the sleeping filly, Tender very quickly shouted, “WAKE UP!”

Double Shuffle immediately leapt out of the bed and stood at attention. “Double Shuffle reporting for duty sir!” She said very sternly, as if she were speaking to a drill sergeant. “Whoa, calm down.” Tender Taps said reassuringly. “Huh?” Double Shuffle asked as she managed to snap out of her trance. Tender Taps replied, “Yeah, you wouldn’t wake up and when I managed to do so you snapped to attention like you were greeting a……”

At that moment a new thought entered Tender Taps’s mind. “What happened when you slept in?” Double Shuffle began to scuff the floor as she meekly answered, “Well it didn’t happen often. But whenever I wore myself out too much and slept in then dad or one of my brothers would shout in my ear and scare me awake.” Tender Taps felt a rather unpleasant feeling in his feeling, a mixture of sorrow and guilt.

“Sorry about waking you like that.” Tender Taps apologized as he wrapped Double Shuffle in a hug. “Huh? You’re sorry?” Double Shuffle asked, having a little trouble processing what was going on. “I take it they never really apologized for much?” Tender Taps asked. Double Shuffle simply shook her head. Tender Taps then said, “Well, as long as you’re part of our family then if any of us screw up, we’ll apologize and make it up to you.” This statement made Double Shuffle incredibly happy, and she returned the hug and gleefully replied, “Thanks Tender.” Tender Taps then playfully asked, “So, you hungry for breakfast?”

The Tappers’ kitchen

“You don’t think there’s somethin’ wrong goin’ on is there?” Hornpipe asked as he took a sip of coffee. Soft Shoe, who was preparing scrambled eggs and toast, replied, “I’m not sure, but if they aren’t down here in a few minutes I’ll go check on them.” “I don’t think that will be necessary ma’am.” Double Shuffle’s voice said as she and Tender Taps entered the kitchen. “Sorry for the delay.” Tender Taps apologized. “Found out the hard way that it’s not the best idea to wake her up suddenly.” Double Shuffle then added, “It was my fault. Guess I was just too worn out by yesterday.”

The mere mention of the previous day placed a somber mood over the room. They had found Semper Fi, Double Shuffle’s father trying to get his hooves on her after she ran away, resorting to trying to break into Hoofer Step’s studio. Though every pony had wanted to give Semper Fi the benefit of the doubt, but once they witnessed what he had done, it was clear that he was unfit to be a parent. Luckily, Soft Shoe had decided they would take Double Shuffle in, and hoped they could provide the family that the filly desperately needed.

Regaining her composure, Soft Shoe walked over to Double Shuffle and said, “I take it that you’re hungry dear?” Double Shuffle was about to answer, but stopped when she felt and heard her stomach rumble. “Maybe a little bit.” Double Shuffle answered, a meek and slightly nervous smile growing on the filly’s face. “Well don’t you worry, I’ve made enough for all of us.” Soft Shoe said. Double Shuffle then said, “Thank you ma’am.” Soft Shoe replied, “You don’t have to be that formal. Just Ms. Shoe will do.”

Soon the four ponies were seated at the table and eating breakfast. “Whoa there lass.” Hornpipe said to Double Shuffle, who seemed to be wolfing down her breakfast. “Sorry, guess I’m just used to not having too much time to eat.” “Well we have plenty of time.” Soft Shoe cut in. she then asked, “So, do you have any plans for today?”

It was at that moment that Double Shuffle realized that she didn’t know what to do. “Well…” Double Shuffle began. “If it’s alright with you guys, I’d like to practice my technique in the studio.” Hornpipe then asked the filly, “Well now, if that’s all you were thinking of why don’t I teach you a bit of step dancing?” “Really?” Double Shuffle asked, ecstatic at the prospect of learning a new dance style. “Of course.” Hornpipe replied, “Besides, It’ll be nice to have a new student.” He then turned to his wife and playfully said, “Because this fine mare here is always a good learner, but I need to a new challenge.” Soft Shoe rolled her eyes playfully and replied, “Oh please. Maybe it’s because you’re a soft teacher.” Double Shuffle then added, “Don’t worry. I promise I’ll do whatever you say.”

Tender Taps then spoke up. “I’d love to join you guys, but I already promised to help Apple Bloom today.” “Oh my.” Hornpipe answered cheekily. “She wouldn’t happen to need help with something like kissin’ would it?” “DAD?” Tender Taps answered, both embarrassed and a tiny bit shocked. “Nothing like that. They’re clearing out their barn and need an extra pair of hooves.” Soft Shoe then added, “Either way it’s very nice of you to help the Apples.” As she took a sip of orange juice, Soft Shoe then continued, “As for me, Princess Twilight asked for my help. She said I needed to give an “official report” concerning….”

Soft Shoe stopped herself as she noticed Double Shuffle starting to shrink into herself. Soft Shoe then began again. “I just need to do a brief errand for Princess Twilight.” The rest of the family ate in silence, and eventually went their separate ways to fulfill their activities for the day.

Elsewhere, the streets of Ponyville

“I think we lost ‘em.” Shell Shock said to Buck Shot and Nine Tails, letting out a deep breath in relief. “Yeah…..” Buck Shot answered, annoyed as he began to curl up in his blanket as water began to drip down on his muzzle. “I can’t believe Double Shuffle just up and deserted us!”

Though their father left to “rescue their sister from her own ignorance,” only for him to not come back. Worse still, ponies from Foal Protective Services showed up at their home and tried to “Rescue” them, as they put it. Instead, the siblings managed to escape, and now found themselves hiding in one of Ponyville’s alleyways.

A low rumbling began to echo throughout the alleyway. “What’s that?” Buck Shot inquired. Shell Shock meekly answered, “Sorry, I didn’t get a bite to eat before those punks showed up.” Nine Tails rudely spoke up, “Sheesh, can’t you do anything right?” “What do you mean by that?” Shell Shock asked. “Well you got your flank handed to you by Double Shuffle and that wussy dancer. And now you couldn’t even eat anything before they showed up.” Buck Shot then spoke up, “Hey, I know a place we can get you something to eat.” “Better not be that Sugar Cube place.” Nine Tails said, well aware wouldn’t be welcome back at the Cakes’ establishment. Buck Shot gave his brothers a wicked grin and replied, “Even better.”

Twilight’s Castle

Both Soft Shoe and Hoofer Steps found themselves sitting next to each other in silence in the library. Spike had asked them to wait for a brief moment while she got some supplies ready. After a few awkward minutes, Hoofer Steps turned to Soft Shoe and asked, “How is she?” “Huh?” Soft Shoe asked in confusion. “Double Shuffle. How is she fairing?” Soft Shoe then began, “Well I think she’s doing alright. She slept pretty well and is actually learning a bit of step dance from Hornpipe.” “Oh my. I vemember ze time he offered to teach ze tap students. I still get nightmares about vhat happened.” The dance teacher said in mock horror. “Oh come on, I’m sure it wasn’t that strenuous.” Soft Shoe replied. “Besides, Tender Taps didn’t seem too affected.” Hoofer Steps then deadpanned, “Zat is because he is a prodigy vith hard shoe dancing.” Both mares couldn’t help but let out a light giggle.

After a few more minutes, Twilight entered the Library. “Sorry I’m late.” Said the Princess. “Semper Fi tried bashing his way out of the holding cell, so I had to cast a sedation spell.” “Oh my goodness. You have holding cells?” Soft Shoe asked. Twilight replied, “Well, it’s only one. I’m just holding him until Shining Armor gets here.” “Vait, shouldn’t he be here by now?” Hoofer Steps asked. “I thought so too.” Twilight replied. “Turns out he felt it would be a good idea if Flash Magnus helped as well, what with Semper Fi being part of the guard.”

“Your wish is my command.” Turning around, Twilight, Soft Shoe, and Hoofer Steps found Shining Armor and Flash Magnus had suddenly teleported into the library. “Shiny!” Twilight said gleefully as she ran towards her B.B.B.F.F. and wrapped her hooves around him. “Good to see you too Twily.” As they finished their hug, Flash Magnus asked, “So, where is this guy?”

Sweet Apple Acres

Tender Taps was thankful that the years of dance had built up his endurance, because he was starting to sweat rather profusely. He had been helping the Apple Family (more specifically Apple Bloom) with cleaning out their barn, as they now once again required it to store their harvest. Needless to say, even with the colt’s help, the Apple Siblings had only managed to clear about half of the barn out.

“Come on sugar cube.” Applejack said to the young colt. “You’ve been working for more than a few hot minutes.” “I might be able to get a few more boxes.” Tender Taps tried to reassure the older mare, but Applejack was persistent. “Come on now. Last thing we need is you gettin’ Dehydrated.” Apple Bloom then exited from the barn and said, “Come on Tender.” “Fine.” Tender Taps said in a faux defeated tone but a smile on his face.

Apple Bloom and Tender Taps were soon seated in the Apple Family’s kitchen sipping from large glasses of apple juice. However, Apple Bloom noticed something was bugging Tender Taps. “Everythin’ ok?” The young filly asked her friend. “Huh?” Tender Taps asked. “Somethin’s buggin’ you. What’s up?” “Nothing’s wrong.” Tender Taps replied, obviously failing to hide his concern. Apple Bloom gave him a look that let him know she wasn’t buying his bluff.

Sighing, Tender Taps admitted, “I’m worried about Double Shuffle. I mean, we took her in, but I think she still has something bugging her.” Apple Bloom realized that the situation with their friend was still going on. However, they didn’t have long to ponder it for much longer.

A crashing was heard from the cellar bellow their hooves. “What’s that?” Tender Taps asked. “Ah dunno. Let’s go check it out.” Both young ponies quickly made their outside the house and towards the cellar. As they approached the door to the cellar, they heard what seemed to be colts’ voices coming from inside. “We gotta get out of here.” One of them said nervously. Another voice cried out, “Wait, I’m still stuck.” Another voice, one far more familiar to Apple Bloom and Tender Taps, said in desperation. “Is that Shell Shock?” Tender Taps asked Apple Bloom. Before she could respond, the cellar door burst open, and two other colts, Whom Tender Taps recognized were Double Shuffle’s other brothers, speeding out of the cellar and off to Celestia knows where.

Shell Shock cried out, “Buck Shot? Nine Tails?” Tender Taps and Apple Bloom had taken a few steps back, but were still no less curious. Why would Shell Shock and his brothers be at Sweet Apple Acres unless…. “Wait an apple pickin’ minute!” Apple Bloom said out loud. “Didn’t you say Double Shuffle’s father was arrested yesterday?” Tender Taps remembered seeing Semper Fi being arrested the day before, but then realized he hadn’t seen or heard anything regarding her brothers. “Tender?” Apple Bloom said, snapping Tender Taps back to reality. “Ah think Shell Shock needs help?”

Recalling the beating he and his brothers had given him as well as their treatment of Double Shuffle, Tender Taps skeptically asked, “Why should we help him?” Apple Bloom defiantly answered, “Because it sounds lahk he needs help.” Tender Taps remembered that not only had Apple Bloom come back to help him because with his cutie mark, but also remembered hearing that she had been willing to help Diamond Tiara, the filly who had made her life a living Tartarus. If she could forgive her, then Tender Taps figured he could at least momentarily move past his anger against Shell Shock. “Alright, let’s not keep him waiting.” Tender Taps said as he and Apple Bloom began to descend down the stairs into the cellar.

It was abundantly clear that the three colts had been scrounging inside the cellar. Wherever Apple Bloom and Tender Taps looked, it seems dried apples had been munched, barrels of cider had their lids removed and seemed less full, and bread loves had multiple pieces missing. Yet the most shocking part was at the far end of the cellar. Shell Shock was pinned down under several heavy crates. “Who’s there?” Shell Shock asked, not entirely able to see who it was. “Ah’m Apple Bloom, and this is mah friend Tender Taps. Seems to me that you need a bit o’ help.”

At that moment, Shell Shock realized who the ponies talking to him were, and angrily responded, “I don’t need help from the likes of some farm filly or a wimpy dancer!” he then tried to get up, but the box was far heavier than he could possibly lift up, at least on his own. To make matters worse, the more Shell Shock struggled to get himself out of his situation, the more he found himself more worn out and stuck. “Ugh.” He groaned to himself, almost seemingly defeated.

Apple Bloom walked up to the pinned colt and asked, “Now you ready for a little help?” This only received an angry grunt from Shell Shock. “Never!” He bellowed, once again trying in vain to get up. “I don’t need help from the likes of you!” “Certainly looks that way.” Tender Taps answered bluntly. As Shell Shock continued to struggle, both Apple Bloom and Tender Taps began to notice that Shell Shock was… tearing up?

At that moment, Apple Bloom couldn’t take it anymore. “Oh, doggon it! Why aren’t you listening to us? We could’ve had ya out of there by now!” this statement triggered a full blown melt-down in Shell Shock, who now tried even harder to escape from the boxes pinning him down, shouting and struggling even more. He cried out, “I will not be the weakling! I am a future guard! I AM STRONG!” Shell Shock was now an emotional mess, his tears and nose running like a fire hose as he began to slow down as he finally collapsed into a sobbing mess.

Applejack eventually made her way down the cellar, curious as to why an unfamiliar colt’s voice was crying in the cellar. “Apple Bloom, what’s goin’ on?” She called out before noticing the olive colt pinned under several large crates. “Who’s this?” she asked. Tender Taps answered, “This is Shell Shock. He’s one of Double Shuffle’s brothers.” This certainly got Applejack’s attention. “Wait, ain’t this feller one of those colts who beat you up a few days ago?” Tender Taps nodded as Apple Bloom spoke up. “He and his brothers must ‘ave snuck in here. Apparently they were rummaging everything in here.”

“You know I’m still here.” Shell Shock said rather bluntly, still trying to maintain a tough exterior. Applejack made her way over to the pinned colt, who suddenly found himself starting with fear. “You and your brothers cause this?” Applejack sternly asked. Shell Shock nervously nodded yes. Applejack then turned around and very forcefully bucked the crates, shattering them like a tower of blocks. She then lowered herself down to the colt and said, “Ah think you should wait upstairs.” She then turned to Tender Taps and Apple Bloom and asked, “Ah gotta go out and speak to Twilight. You two make sure this little varmint doesn’t run off anywhere, ok?”

“You got it Applejack.” Apple Bloom replied enthusiastically. Tender Taps simply shrugged and replied, “Sure.” Applejack then departed the cellar. She would have to tell Big Macintosh that he would have to take over on his own for a while; she had to visit Twilight for a moment.

Twilight’s Castle, concurrently to previous events

Shining Armor was certainly surprised by the outward professionalism of Semper Fi. “Sergeant Semper Fi reporting for duty sir!” the stallion said as he snapped to attention. Clearly he was trying to set up a better image of himself. Shining Armor wasn’t buying it for a moment. “Stow it Semper Fi!” Shining replied, putting on his own “military commander” persona as well as refusing to address Semper Fi by his now former rank.

“But sir, I am a sergeant in the…” Semper Fi tried to defend himself. “BELAY THAT!” Shining Armor shouted, making Semper Fi recoil in fear. Shining then continued, “Listen to me very carefully. You are no longer a member of the Royal Guard. You abused your recruits, pushing one of them to the breaking point. You then deserted your post while pending court martial. If anything you are a disgrace to the guard!” Shining’s words began to affect Semper Fi, who was stepping back a bit. Shining then continued, “We could continue listing your crimes against the guard, but there’s another charge I want to address.” “What do you mean?” Semper Fi asked.

Shining took a deep breath and stated, “Four counts of foal abuse.” Semper Fi was stunned for a brief moment, until he realized what Shining Armor was referring to. “I’ll have you know I take great care of my children.” Semper Fi answered defiantly. “Then why did your daughter run away?” Shining asked, a sliver of a hint of sass in his voice. “What do you mean?” Semper Fi asked. “She deserted her post.” A new voice then said, “Gee, isn’t that rich?”

Semper Fi was shocked to see that it was none other than Flash Magnus himself. He began to try and salute him, but Flash interrupted him and sternly said, “Save it Semper Fi. I know exactly what kind of stallion you are.” Stumped, Semper Fi asked, “What do you mean?” Flash explained, “You’re the kind of stallion who demands control over every aspect of their life.” Semper Fi was still confused, but then replied, “If you refer to my foals, they are my foals, and I train them to continue my family tradition.” Flash then gave Semper Fi a cocky grin and asked, “Is that why there aren’t any records of them in school?”

“What?” Shining Armor asked. “Yeah, I did some research into you Semper Fi. You kept your foals from school, drilled and trained them endlessly, and pushed them to the point of breaking. I’m honestly surprised your daughter found something else to occupy her time.” This certainly irked Semper Fi, who snapped back, “I’ve tried to get her to embrace her destiny, but she just keeps disappointing me. Why does she want to waste her life as some namby-pamby dancer?” Flash simply answered, “Because she’d rather follow her mother’s hoof steps than yours?”

This certainly ticked Semper Fi off. “Of course, everyone loves my wife. She was the one everyone was adored with! I did my best to do my duty, but everyone preferred the little dancer over me! And once she….” Semper Fi couldn’t control himself anymore and collapsed to the ground, weeping uncontrollably. Shining looked at Flash Magnus and asked, “I’m not exactly fond of this guy, but what was that about?” Flash answered, “This guy has been suppressing his grief over his wife’s death. In turn, he’s been trying to control his foals to feel like he can control his life.”

This shocked Shining Armor. He was certainly surprised at this revelation. “You sure?” he asked Flash Magnus. Flash replied, “Yeah. I had to do some research before I could regain my position as drill instructor. So I began to research what to look for when a recruit begins to snap. As such when I heard about this guy I looked him up, and realized he had more than a few issues.” Looking down on Semper Fi, Flash pointed to him and said, “This guy snapped years ago. It just took some pony like us pointing it out that he finally realized it.”

Shining Armor then said, “Keep an eye on him, make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid. I’ll tell Twilight what we’ve found out. And ask if he knows where his colts are.” Flash Magnus nodded, and walked over to the crying stallion. Shining ascended the stairwell, returning to the main part of his sister’s castle. He had information that Twilight might find helpful.

Sweet Apple Acres homestead

Double Shuffle pranced her way down to the dirt road towards the Apple Family’s house. After her impromptu dance lesson with Hornpipe, she had decided to join Tender Taps in helping the Apple Family. Naturally, she figured Sweet Apple Acres had been the primary place to start. As she approached, she noticed Applejack leaving the house, something surprising since she was supposed to be there all day. “Why howdy there Double Shuffle. What brings you over?” Applejack asked the filly. Double Shuffle answered, “I was wondering if I could help you guys.”

“Why that’s mighty thoughtful of you, but Ah’m afraid we’re gonna have to stop for now.” This certainly surprised Double Shuffle. “Huh? But Tender Taps said this would take all day.” Applejack sighed and said, “Well, there’s a very good reason.” She then ushered the young filly towards the farm house. As they approached the door, Double Shuffle asked, “What’s going on?” Applejack replied, “Seems we had a few visitors earlier. Three of ‘em to be exact.” Using the number three, it was apparent that Double Shuffle knew exactly who they were.

Once they entered the house, Apple Bloom showed up from around the corner and asked, “Applejack? What are you doin’ back so early?” It was only then that she noticed Double Shuffle was there as well. Applejack said, “Seems to me Double Shuffle here wanted to come and help. Shame her brothers decided to cause a bit of trouble.” Double Shuffle asked, “What did they do?” Apple Bloom replied, “They broke into the cellar and started eatin’ everythin’. When Tender Taps and I found ‘em, one of ‘em, Shell Shock, got himself stuck and the other two deserted him.”

“Why am I not surprised?” Double Shuffle answered. Applejack asked, “What do ya mean sugar cube?” Double Shuffle replied, “Dad apparently taught them to “live off the land”. It’s pretty much how they didn’t go hungry.” “Wait, you mean they steal food?” Applejack worriedly inquired. Double Shuffle nervously nodded and quickly replied, “The only reason I didn’t is because I’d go busking to…..” She was quickly ensnared in a big hug from Apple Bloom. Applejack then asked, “So your pa made you work for your food? That’s horrible!”

Double Shuffle managed to gently wrestle her way out of Apple Bloom’s grasp and said, “Where are they?” Applejack answered, “Shell Shock is here with us, but the others ran off. Ah was on my way to Twilight to get help in finding ‘em.” Double Shuffle then asked, “Where is Shell Shock?”

The Kitchen

Tender Taps sat at one end of the kitchen table, glaring at Shell Shock, who sat at the other end. Shell’s eyes were puffy and damp, and he was nursing a mug of cocoa. He would look up every few moments at Tender Taps, and then look down again. After a few more minutes, Tender Taps asked, “So why do bully your sister?” “Huh?” Shell Shock asked in confusion. “You heard me. I remember how you acted when we met you in the market, not including that little incident at Sugar Cube Corner.” Shell Shock just continued to look down, unable to say anything.

“Shell Shock?” a familiar voice asked. Shell Shock and Tender Taps turned around and were shocked to see Double Shuffle. The filly then said, “I came over to help with the clearing out, but it seems things changed, haven’t they?” Tender Taps answered, “Yeah.” She then faced her brother and asked, “Is it true you guys tried stealing from the Apples?” “Yes.” Shell Shock meekly answered, his voice cracking and eyes watering again.

“Tender, can I have a word with my brother?” Double Shuffle asked. “Huh?” Tender Taps asked. “But I mean, you sure that’s a good idea?” “I am.” the filly replied. Tender Taps then got out of his seat, hugged Double Shuffle, and said to her, “I’ll be right outside.” He then left the room, leaving Double Shuffle and Shell Shock alone.

“So….” Double Shuffle began, intending to figure out why her brothers tried to steal from the Apple Family.

Author's Note:

Next Time: Double Shuffle has a heart to heart with Shell Shock

Author's Insight: this chapter was pretty hard to write. on top of a great deal of "nothing" happening, balancing this and Spitfire and Old Silver can get kinda taxing. this story will take a bit of a back seat, so progress won't be as fast here, but i should have a new one ready within a month.