• Published 11th Jul 2019
  • 680 Views, 5 Comments

Doing the Double Shuffle - The FraudulentBrit



Tender Taps meets a new friend.

  • ...
 5
 680

A Wonderful Evening

Doing the Double Shuffle

Chapter 2; A Wonderful Evening

“And that’s when they left.” Tender Taps said to Apple Bloom. He had gone to Sweet Apple Acres that morning to talk with Apple Bloom about his encounter with Semper Fi. “Ah don’t know what to say.” Apple Bloom answered, shocked by what she heard. “Did he really say he’d try to get rid of her cutie mark?” “Yeah.” Tender Taps answered. “But what baffles me is that, well, isn’t it impossible to remove a cutie mark?” Apple Bloom thought about that for a moment, before called out, “Hey Applejack!”

After a few moments, Applejack entered the living room from the kitchen, asking, “What is it sugar cube?” She then noticed her guest and said, “Well howdy there Tender Taps. What brings you out here?” Tender Taps asked, “Miss Applejack is it possible to remove a pony’s cutie mark?” Applejack remarked, “Well now, Ah do know Starlight Glimmer found a way, but she promised she’d never do so again.” She then asked, “Why do you wanna know? You’re cutie mark perfect.” Before Tender Taps could reply, Apple Bloom blurted, “We met this filly named Double Shuffle, and her father isn’t so nice. He said he was gonna take away her cutie mark because it has two tap shoes on it.”

Applejack was shocked. “What?” Tender Taps continued. “I know. She’s an amazing dancer, but from what I saw, you’d think her dad was ashamed of it.” Applejack didn’t know how to respond to it. She just shook her head and said, “Ah can’t say much about this fella, but ah can say one thing. Any father who would want to change any part of his child is not the kinda pony ah would invite to mah farm.” Tender Taps then said, “Well, I mean, I just don’t want to jump to conclusions.” Applejack replied, “Neither would Ah.”

A few hours later, Tender Taps was wondering around Ponyville, running some errands for his parents. As he made his way to one of the vendors, he heard a now very familiar voice call out, “Excuse me, does anyone here know where I could find a cobbler?” Looking around for a moment, Tender eventually found who it was.

There was Double Shuffle, carrying her dance bag. For the most part, she was exactly the way Tender Taps remembered, except that now she wore a black vest, not unlike the kind ponies wore during Winter Wrap-Up, and she wore a red straight tie instead of a bowtie. She went up to another pony, a DJ with thick glasses, and asked, “Excuse me ma’am, do you know where I could find a cobbler?” the pony she asked simply continued on her way, leaving Double Shuffle behind. Tender Taps wondered for a moment why she would need a cobbler until he remembered her shoes.

“Hey Double Shuffle!” Tender Taps called out. Double Shuffle looked around for a moment before spotting her friend and replying back. “Hey Tender.” She ran up to him and, to Tender Taps’ surprise, wrapped her hooves around him in a massive hug. “Whoa.” Tender replied as he found himself slightly crushed. “Did you think I’d disappear last night?” he asked somewhat playfully. Double Shuffle, letting her friend go, simply replied, “Sorry.” Tender then said, “It’s nothing. So, what do you need a cobbler for?”

Double Shuffle sat her bag on the ground and opened it, pulling out one of her tap shoes. The sole was dangling from the rest of the shoe and was actually somewhat splintered. “Whoa. What happened?” Tender Taps asked. “Well, after dance last night, I was practicing in my room, and I guess they just began to fall apart.” Double Shuffle explained. “They?” asked Tender Taps. Double Shuffle pulled out another shoe, this one sporting a sole that was cracked at the seams. “Ouch. I think you need a new pair.” Tender Taps replied. Double Shuffle simply lowered her head and said, “I know.”

At that moment, Tender Taps had an idea. “Hey, I think I know how to get you a new pair. Or at least one that’s not falling apart.” “You do?” asked Double Shuffle. “Of course, though would you mind helping with a few errands first?” Tender Taps asked. Double Shuffle thought for a second, before smiling and answering, “Of course.” Tender then set his saddle bag down and pulled out a list. “Let’s see, I have the fire wood, the fruit, and….” He said as he continued down the list. “Ah. Just have to stop at the bakery.” He then set the list back in his saddle bag and set the bag on his back, then turned to Double Shuffle and said, “Come on.”

Both young ponies made their way to the bakery. As Tender Taps approached the door, a pony, specifically a dusty unicorn stallion with a cutie mark of a rising loaf of bread, opened the door and said, “Right this way kids.” Tender Taps replied, “Thank you sir.” Followed by a small bow. Double Shuffle gave a curtsy, following her friend’s example. Tender approached the counter on the inside, and asked, “Mr. Sourdough?” A male voice from the back of the shop called out, “There in a sec.” A few moments later, an off-white unicorn stallion with a dark brown tail and mane arrived and said, “Ah, we seem to have a celebrity here today.” “Huh?” Tender Taps and Double Shuffle asked in confusion. Mr. Sourdough continued, “Sorry for the confusion Tender Taps. I was just commenting on how well you did at the jazz festival.” “Thanks, I was just doing what I love.” Tender Taps replied before he continued, “Anyway I need a loaf of sourdough.”

“Ah. One loaf of Sourdough coming right up.” Mr. Sourdough went back to the back room, and returned a few minutes later with a fresh loaf of sourdough bread. “Here you go kid. One fresh loaf of bread. Give my regards to your parents.” “Thank you Mr. Sourdough.” Tender Taps said as he took the loaf and handed Mr. Sourdough a few bits. Mr. Sourdough then noticed Double Shuffle and asked, “Well, who are you young lady?” “Double Shuffle replied, “My name is Double Shuffle.” “Well it is nice to meet you.” He then asked, “You new in town?” Double Shuffle answered, “Yes. My family moved here about two weeks ago.” “Ooh.” Replied Mr. Sourdough. “Well, I do hope to meet them sometime.”

As Tender Taps and Double Shuffle left the bakery, he asked, “By the way, what are your brothers’ names anyway?” Before she could answer, a somewhat familiar voice called out, “Double Shuffle!” Both ponies turned to their right to see a familiar earth pony. It was one of Double Shuffle’s brothers, specifically the one with the olive-khaki fur and the green mane and tail. Double Shuffle looked at the pony and asked, “What do you want Shell Shock?” “Dad wants to tell you that he’ll be doing a training mission tonight so he’ll be gone until tomorrow morning.”

Shell Shock then noticed Tender Taps and said, “So there’s the wimp from that stupid festival.” “Hey!” Tender Taps called out. “I am not a wimp.” Shell Shock simply scoffed and said, “Yeah right. I bet I could take you on with one hoof tied behind my back.” Double Shuffle stepped in between the two colts and nervously asked, “Shell Shock, can you please not do this here?” Shell shock then glared his sister and asked, “Don’t you remember what dad always says? Family is the squad, and the squad stands together.” Double Shuffle then asked, “But what does that have to do with being a bully?” Shell Shock simply replied, “I’m not a bully. I have to look out for you, Buck Shot, and Nine Tails.” Tender Taps spoke up, asking, “I take it they’re your other two brothers?”

Shell Shock suddenly darted forward and, before any pony could react, pinned Tender Taps to the ground, and shouted, “This doesn’t concern you, you weak little sissy!” Double Shuffle tried to pry her brother off of Tender Taps, but couldn’t. However, he was surprised when Tender Taps was able to use his hind legs to kick the olive-khaki colt off of him. Shocked at what happened, Shell Shock shouted, “I’ll get you for this you little sissy! Payback!” and ran off. Tender Taps, getting back to his hooves, turned to Double Shuffle and said, “For a tough guy, he sure seems to be a bit of a coward.”

Double Shuffle, however, was anything but relieved. She started hyperventilating. “Oh no, this isn’t good. This is bad, this is bad!” “Double Shuffle, what’s wrong?” Tender Taps asked. Double Shuffle answered, “Shell Shock is going to get our brothers. And when they find you they’re gonna beat you to a pulp.” She then began to look around, quickly saying, “We gotta find a place to hide you.” Tender Taps then said, “I think I have an idea.”

Tender Taps’ Home

“Mom. Dad. I’m home.” Tender Taps called out as he and Double Shuffle entered the door. Both ponies could hear the sound of rhythmic clacking from elsewhere in the house.” Double Shuffle said, “Sounds like dancing.” Tender Taps shook his head and let out a small laugh before saying, “Sounds like they’re in the studio.” “Studio?” asked Double Shuffle. Tender Taps replied, “As in dance Studio.” Double Shuffle began to form a massive smile on her face, before suddenly inquiring, “Dance studio? Where?” Tender Taps began, “Oh, Down the hall then to the….” He didn’t get to finish before Double Shuffle darted down the hall and turned to the left, only to find a room of a laundry room. “….To the right.” Tender Taps finished, as Double Shuffle blushed with embarrassment.

When Double Shuffle opened the door to the dance studio, she was amazed at what she found. True enough, it was a wide open studio with a hardwood floor, a mirror that ran all along the front side of the room, and a few assorted pieces of exercise equipment. But what she found even more surprising was who she found already there. It Was Tender Taps’ parents, and they seemed to be doing a tap duet. Or rather they would have. What she found odd was that while his mother wore tap shoes and seemed to be using traditional tap steps; his father wore shoes that were still black, but appeared bulkier and didn’t seem to have any taps on the bottom. He also had a straighter posture, and Double Shuffle couldn’t recognize his steps.

“Hey mom. Hey dad. I got everything from the market.” Tender Taps called out to his parents, who quickly stopped dancing and noticed their son and his friend. “Thank you Tender. And I see you brought along your friend.” Said Soft Shoe. She extended her hoof to Double Shuffle before continuing, “I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced. I’m Soft Shoe.” Double Shuffle responded by shaking her hoof and continued, “I’m Double Shuffle, and that was some pretty cool dancing.” Tender’s Father then walked up and said, “Well she certainly has good tastes. The name’s Hornpipe.” Double Shuffle asked, “If you don’t mind me asking, where’d you learn to dance like that? I’ve never seen dancing like that.” Hornpipe replied, “Me mum taught me to dance like that. It’s called step dancing, and we invented it back home.” Double Shuffle simply oohed at the story.

Tender Taps then asked, “So, you guys working on a new routine?” “You bet boyo.” Hornpipe answered. “Just a little experimentation.” Double Shuffle then asked, “So you’re whole family dances?” Tender Taps replied, “Yup. I learned most of what I know from mom.” Soft Shoe then added, “Though I did recommend he take lessons so he could help find his own style, and not just copy mine.” Double Shuffle then said, “Wow. That’s pretty cool.” Soft Shoe then asked, “But what about you? How did you start dancing?”

Double Shuffle looked away for a few seconds, before she faced Soft Shoe again and explained, “My mom introduced me. Her name was Maxi Ford, and…” She was suddenly interrupted by the Soft Shoe cutting her off and excitedly asking, “Your mom was Maxi Ford?” Double Shuffle meekly nodded, leading to Soft Shoe excitedly prancing around the studio. Hornpipe walked up to Double Shuffle and said, “Sorry about that. But me wife here was a big fan of your mother’s it seems.” “Just a fan?” Soft Shoe asked with faux indignance. “She was perhaps the greatest tap dancer in all of Equestria! She was my idol!” However, Soft Shoe quickly noticed Double Shuffle staring at the floor, her eyes beginning to water a bit. Soft Shoe then walked up to her and said, “I’m very sorry about what happened to her.” Double Shuffle simply leaped forward and wrapped her hooves around Soft Shoe and began to sniffle. Hornpipe turned to Tender Taps and said, “I think they need some alone time.” Both stallion and colt left the studio as Double Shuffle began to break down into a heartfelt sob.

After an hour, Soft Shoe and Double Shuffle exited the studio, with the young filly’s eyes and hair showing that she had been crying. Tender Taps asked, “So, everything alright?” Soft Shoe answered, “I think so. Guess we just needed a little girl time.” Double Shuffle nodded in agreement. Soft Shoe then playfully asked, “So I saw you need some new tap shoes?” Double Shuffle nodded yes. Tender Taps added, “Actually that’s why I brought her here. I figured since we have a few older pairs we could….” Soft Shoe interrupted and said, “Well, I think we can find something.” She then took Double Shuffle to another room in the house, and said, “And this is one of our favorite rooms in the house.”

After opening the door, Double Shuffle was surprised. The room had several wooden drawers. Soft Shoe then asked, “So what size hoof are you?” Double Shuffle thought for a moment before answering, “Uh, size 5 I think.” Soft Shoe then walked over to one of the drawers, opened it and pulled out a pair of black, lace up tap shoes. “I think these should fit.” Double Shuffle observed the pair for a moment before insisting, “No, I can’t take these.” Soft Shoe replied, “Listen, Tender Taps told me last night that you are an amazing dancer, and to be honest, I can’t fit into those anymore. You’ll be able to make use of these a lot more than I can.” Double Shuffle hesitated for a moment before taking her saddle bag and placed the “new” shoes in her bag and saying, “Thank you Miss Soft Shoe.” Soft Shoe answered, “You’re most welcome dear.”

As Double Shuffle and Soft Shoe left the room, they heard the unmistakable sound of crashing thunder. “Oh my.” Said Soft Shoe. “Sounds like it’s gonna be raining pretty soon.” Double Shuffle gulped and nervously said, “Uh oh. I gotta get home.” Before either could react, they heard the rattle of heavy rain. “Oh dear.” Soft Shoe continued. Both ponies made their way to the kitchen, where Tender Taps was helping Hornpipe prepare dinner. “Honey, how long is it gonna be raining?” Hornpipe answered, “All night dear.” Soft Shoe, without changing beat, simply continued, “Then I think we should prepare for a guest for dinner tonight.”

Double Shuffle was shocked. “But ma’am, are you sure? I don’t want to be a burden.” Soft Shoe replied, “Well we can’t just let you go hungry or get a cold in this weather, at least if we can help it.” Tender Taps then excitedly blurted out, “Aright, sleep over!” Hornpipe and Soft Shoe both looked at their son with a cross of faux annoyance and humor at his outburst. “Heh heh. Sorry.” Tender said before Hornpipe answered, “’Tis alright lad.” He then said, “Dinner should be ready in a wee bit, so you two kids go and wash up.” Tender Taps and Double Shuffle walked out the kitchen, with Tender saying, “C’mon, I’ll show you where the restroom is.”

As soon as both young ponies were out of the kitchen, Soft Shoe turned to her husband and said, “I’m glad Tender Taps found her.” Hornpipe asked, “You think he’s developing feelings for her?” “Of course not.” Soft Shoe answered. “You know how he feels about Apple Bloom. Besides, I don’t think he sees her the same way he does to Double Shuffle.” Hornpipe then asked, “Then how?” Soft Shoe answered, “I think he’s beginning to see her as a sister.” She then paused for a moment before continuing, “There’s something else.” She leaned in and whispered something into her husband’s ear.

Hornpipe was shocked with what he heard. “Are you sure?” he asked. Soft Shoe answered, “I am.” Hornpipe thought for a moment, before he asked, “What are we gonna do?” Soft Shoe answered, “I have a plan.”

A few minutes later, Double Shuffle and Tender Taps returned. Soft Shoe said, “Ok Double Shuffle, you will sit next to Tender Taps.” Double Shuffle said, “Thank you ma’am.” As the family and Double Shuffle sat down to at the table, Hornpipe asked, “So if you don’t mind me askin’, what’s your favorite dance style?” Double Shuffle, her mouth full, muffled something unintelligible. Soft Shoe cleared her throat, and when Double Shuffle noticed, Soft Shoe said, “Don’t speak with your mouth full.”

Double Shuffle swallowed her mouthful and gave off a nervous laugh. “Sorry.” She said in response. “It’s all right sweetie.” Soft Shoe answered. Double Shuffle continued, “To answer your question Mr. Hornpipe, my favorite style is tap.” Double Shuffle then motioned to her cutie mark. “When I was two years old my mom was holding a guest class at a dance school, so I got to try all the styles. I wasn’t super interested or good at most of them, but when I tried tap, I fell in love almost instantly. I managed to pull off a few wings and next thing I knew…” she paused for a few moments before continuing, “I had my cutie mark.”

Tender Taps was shocked. “Wow, I didn’t know you could get a cutie mark that early.” Double Shuffle replied, “Guess I was just a prodigy.” She then asked, “So how did you get yours?” Tender Taps explained, “Well, I actually used to be really terrified of performing in front of other ponies.” Double Shuffle was shocked (and lucky she hadn’t taken a sip of water that moment). “Wow. After seeing you perform I wouldn’t believe it.” Tender Taps continued, “But then I met Apple Bloom and her friends, and they helped me get over my fear. And it was then that I learned how much I love dancing and performing.”

Double Shuffle then said, “I loved to perform, but my dad and brothers aren’t exactly big fans of performing.” Hornpipe then asked, “Yeah, when we saw them at the festival they seemed kinda…. What’s the word I was thinking of?” “Militant?” Double Shuffle answered. “My dad is a drill sergeant in the EUP. He wants my brothers and I to follow his hoofsteps.” Tender Taps asked, “Is that what your dad meant when he called your cutie mark was a ‘slight oversight?’” Double Shuffle simply nodded.

Hornpipe and Soft Shoe were surprised to say the least. “Huh?” Double Shuffle responded, “Yeah, my dad has convinced himself he’ll find a way to change my cutie mark. Honestly I think he’s a bit crazy.” Tender Taps and his parents were slightly stunned to hear her say this so mundanely. “But honestly I’d rather dance then be a guard like him.” She continued. Soft Shoe added, “I just want you to know that you decide what you do with your life, not your dad.” Hornpipe then added, “And if I may, you seem to have a rather sophisticated style.” Double Shuffle replied, “Thank you. I kinda always like to be ready in case I find the opportunity to dance.” She then turned to Soft Shoe and asked, “If it’s not too much, can I use your studio after dinner? I kinda want to try out my new tap shoes.” Soft Shoe answered, “Of course you may.”

After the group finished eating and cleaned up the kitchen, Tender Taps and Double Shuffle went into the studio and began to place on their tap shoes. “Oh my.” Double Shuffle said in amazement as she slipped on her new pair. Tender Taps asked, “Something wrong?” Double Shuffle, Smiling, answered, “Oh no. It’s just these shoes feel like they were made for my hooves.” She got up and began to perform a few paradiddles. As she continued, she sped up, until she finished with a “shave and a haircut”. She then continued to dance, Tender Taps began to take in just how much of a different pony Double Shuffle was when she danced. Normally she was a somewhat timid and reclusive filly, but once she had her tap shoes on, she moved with confidence and strength.

After a few hours, both young ponies were worn out and sweating. Tender Taps made a silent motion towards the mirror, and Double Shuffle noticed one of her braided pigtails had come undone. “Heh. Guess I got a little carried away.” Tender Taps replied, “Yeah, it’s like you just zoned out while you were dancing.” Double Shuffle simply shrugged and answered, “My mom always taught me that if you give a filly the right shoes, she can conquer Equestria.” Tender Taps dryly asked, “I guess that means your tools of conquest are tap shoes?” Double Shuffle simply said, “That’s about the size of it.” Both young ponies found themselves rolling on the floor in fits of laughter.

As both ponies got back up, Soft Shoe entered the studio and said, “It’s getting a bit late, so I think it’s time to get ready for bed.” Double Shuffle pouted, “Awh. Can’t we have just a few more minutes?” Tender Taps, on the other hand, said, “C’mon. I think my legs are starting to feel a bit sore.” Soft Shoe then said, “Besides, there’s always tomorrow.” Double Shuffle, realizing that she wasn’t going to win this argument, simply sighed. “Alright. But I get to shower first.” She said with a playfully smug smile. Tender Taps bowed and replied, “As you wish.” Both young ponies left the studio, with Soft Shoe making sure there weren’t any stains or marks on the wooden floor.

While Double Shuffle was in the shower, Tender Taps heard a knock on the front door. His mother called out, “Tender, Could you get that.” “Got it mom.” Tender Taps approached the door and opened it only to be surprised by seeing that it was Hoofer Step. “Good evening Tender.” She said to her pupil. “Uh, good evening.” Tender replied. Before he could say anything else, Soft Shoe asked, “Who is it?” “It’s Ms. Hoofer Steps. My dance teacher.” Replied Tender Taps.

Soft Shoe made her way to the door and asked, “Oh my, what brings you here this late at night?” Hoofer Steps answered, “Vell, I vanted to ask Tender Taps if he had seen Double Shuffle today.” Tender Taps replied, “Actually, she’s spending the night here.” Soft Shoe added, “Yeah, I didn’t want her to risk getting a cold or hurting herself in this weather.” She then pointed outside to the still raging thunderstorm. “I can see zat.” Replied Hoofer Steps. “Vell, I vas just vorried about her. You see I….” Soft Shoe interrupted her, saying, “I understand.” As she gave Hoofer Steps a knowing look, Tender Taps asked, “Uh, is there something that’s going on?” Hoofer Steps just said, “Nossing. I just vanted to make sure zat she vas alvight.” She then said, “I hope zat you all have a good evening.” With that, Hoofer Steps whispered something into Soft Shoe’s ear, turned around and left.

Soft Shoe then turned to Tender Taps and asked, “Tender, Can you promise me something?” Tender Taps nodded yes. “Promise me that you won’t ever hurt Double Shuffle.” Tender asked, “Why would I ever want to hurt her?” Soft Shoe said, “I know you wouldn’t, but…” she took a deep breath in and continued, “Her family isn’t exactly the nicest in the world. And right now, she needs a friend.” Tender Taps was surprised to hear this, and asked, “Was that what you two were talking about earlier?” Soft Shoe answered, “A bit. However, the rest stays between me and her, at least for now.”

At that moment, they could hear the shower stop, meaning Double Shuffle had finished in the shower. “Guess it’s time for some young colt to go clean himself.” Tender Taps blushed a little bit and said, “I’m not that young.” “Well you’re still a colt.” Soft Shoe said as she booped her son’s muzzle. “Alright.” Tender Taps said as he left to head towards the shower.

Double Shuffle came out of the bathroom and approached Soft Shoe, asking, “Miss Soft Shoe, I heard someone at the door. Who was it?” Soft Shoe answered, “It’s just Soft Shoe, and Hoofer Steps stopped by to make sure you were alright.” Double Shuffle asked, “Wait, how did she know I was here?” “She didn’t. She asked if we knew where she was and well….” Double Shuffle put the two pieces together and said, “Oh. I see.” Soft Shoe then said, “She also said that if you want, you can join Tender Taps’ tap class. She also said not to worry about money, she’ll cover for it?” Double Shuffle was stunned. “She did?” Soft Shoe replied, “She sure did sweetie.”

After almost twenty minutes of trying to catch the energetic little filly, Soft Shoe brought Double Shuffle to the guest room. “I know it’s not much, but I think this should do for the night.” Double Shuffle stood beside the older pony for a moment, before she hugged the older pony. Soon the young tap dancer filly was nestled comfortably into the bed. Soft Shoe made sure the filly was tucked in and left her to enjoy her hopefully good dreams. Soft Shoe then decided that as soon as she could, she would go see Princess Twilight. After all, Twilight had the answers to anything, didn’t she?