• Published 12th Aug 2012
  • 1,475 Views, 85 Comments

The Open Sea - NahB



Equestria is gone, taken by a huge flood. The survivors now live on what land is left.

  • ...
2
 85
 1,475

Old Friend

“Crest Island, coming up!”

Rainbow Dash flew down from her little post on the mast, shouting to those below. “Crest is just on the horizon.”

Twilight smiled. Four days at sea was a new record for the Free Mare. Usually, between Fog and Crest, it would take them seven or eight days. Twilight thought that the storm must have been a strong one, to save them two days of sea travel.

Of course, now that it was only an hour or two to the Island, it meant renewed work. They were no longer able to lounge about – they’d have to get their shipment on the Island, get paid, and a little shore leave while Twilight and Rarity found them another job.

“Alright, you lazy ponies! Get down in the hold and secure everything for unloading,” Twilight said. The other seven ponies on deck went below to get the cocoa beans and other supplies ready. Twilight headed into the crew quarters and had the rest go down.

Now that the upper deck was abandoned except for Twilight, she looked out to sea and sighed.

She loved this life. She really did. But she also wondered what life would have been, had the Flood never come. This thought brought her to the next one – where were the princesses? The equestrian sea was filled with ponies that refused to acknowledge the sovereignty of the new government, simply because it wasn’t Celestia and Luna. It was a silly sentiment in Twilight’s opinion, but they clung to it.

Crest Island was one of the larger islands of that variety. It had been the first to create its own government, and was flourishing due to the new economy and the constant flow of goods through its ports.

Ponies adapt. They always had. They always would. Even when this world was no longer new, when it was just there. Twilight had a thought that saddened her – the new generations coming into the world would not remember what it was like to live on endless land. They would only remember the sea, the beautiful, deadly sea.

Twilight brooded as Crest Island, a large, black shadow on the horizon, grew in size and color, until she could make out its major port in the large bay.

Twilight loved the sea – it had given her a new life – and it supplied her with everything necessary to make her living. Sure, it had destroyed the lives of many, but there was nothing she could do about it, so she chose to ignore it. She knew that she should be devastated that so many had lost their lives, but knew that the pony mind shut itself off to atrocities that large, in order to protect itself.

Regardless, there was work to be done. The port came closer and closer to view, and finally it was time to set the anchor as the ship pulled in next to the harbor.

“Alright AJ, lower the anchor.”

“Can do, Twi.”

Inside the Pilot Deck, Applejack flicked a switch that let the anchor fall into the water, keeping the Free Mare in place.

Twilight and Applejack went below, and found the other ponies lounging about, ready to start bringing the supplies to the shore.

Immediately the lavender unicorn began issuing orders.

“Rainbow, Fluttershy, Bell and Mac – get to work on bringing that Cocoa to Bon Bon. I want no less than twelve bits a barrel – try for seventeen. We’ve got to make a profit there.”

She turned again. “Redheart, Pinkie, and Scootaloo – get us some more supplies and some of that stuff called “Swig.” I want to try it. Don’t spend more than sixty bits, if you can help it.”

“Applejack, Granny Smith, Applebloom, and Spike – you all are staying on the Mare tonight. You’ll get some leave tomorrow.

“Cheers, you and Rarity are with me. We’re going to find ourselves more work.”

All the ponies nodded and got to work. Twilight, Rarity and Cheerilee went above and put the ramp down to the stone harbor, and walked down the fairly steep wooden ramp.

At the bottom, they secured the Mare to the harbor with several long ropes, and as they finished, Rainbow Dash exited the ship with a barrel of expensive cocoa beans.

“Careful with that, Rainbow,” Rarity called up.

“I know, Rarity, I got it.”

The Pegasus slowly lowered the barrel along the ramp, and propped it up at the bottom.

“Where are you girls gonna try first?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“We’ll try the tavern first. I’m hungry for some hot food, and a lot of folks head there for ponies like us.” Twilight answered.

Rainbow nodded. “Well, I’m off to go discuss price at Candy Coated. Good luck,” Rainbow said as she departed, flying fast and low.

“You too,” Cheerilee called as she flew away. Cheerilee turned to her companions. “She just doesn’t slow down, does she?”

Twilight and Rarity laughed. “Not when there’s a good tavern around,” Twilight returned.

The three mares left the harbor behind and headed to the best tavern in Crest City – The Sea Tap.

As they entered the city proper, there were more and more ponies moving about their lives, getting things done. Even though a large part of the island was forested, Crest City and the other smaller settlements on Crest Island were forging out a living in the hostile wilderness. Twilight stared a moment at Ridge Mountain. Most of the islands had been mountains or high plateaus, but Crest was the highest, a huge thousand feet above sea level.

“Twilight, are you there? Hello?”

Twilight looked down to see Cheerilee and Rarity staring at her. She’d zoned out again.

“Sorry, girls. Just thinking.”

The other two mares nodded, and the trio started forward again. Finally, the tavern was in sight. The sign outside the weathered building said “The Sea Tap – finest drink in all of Crest City” in big, bold letters. “Here we go,” Twilight remarked.

The door of the tavern opened with a noisy creak, and all of its occupants glanced to see the newcomers. A couple, recognizing the mares, or at least Twilight, nodded in their direction. The three ponies strode into the building, confident and looking around.

“Pardon my stare, but I appear to be meeting the captain of the Free Mare.”

Twilight’s eyes widened and looked behind her, as well as Cheerilee and Rarity a moment after.

“Zecora!”

Twilight dashed forward and caught the zebra in a rough hug, causing the striped mare’s jewelry to jangle loudly.

“Zecora, we haven’t seen you for over a year! How have you been?” Twilight asked, excited to see an old friend.

“I am glad to see that you have cared – well, have I fared. What brings you ponies to Crest, is it work, or is it rest?”

Rarity stepped forward and hugged Zecora herself, and when she stepped back, she answered “Looking for work after finishing a job.”

“Well, there is work all around! But let us wait – I wish to discuss what has happened since we last were together aground.”

The zebra and three ponies all went to a table in the back, where the mare was drinking a large mug of apple cider.

“Last we saw you, you were working for my brother back on Canter Island. What made you come to Crest?” Twilight asked.

“I was only hurting the way he looked – one who consorts with pirates, should not at the palace be booked.”

“He threw you out because of that? What the hay! He doesn’t have to worry about that.” Twilight exclaimed, angry at her brother.


“It was not the fault of the King – many little bugs saw me as their chance to sting. So now I work for him quietly on Crest – keeping me happy, while mollifying the rest.”

Twilight considered that a moment. “Alright. So what do you do now?”

“I watch other important ponies, keeping my eye out for phonies.”

“Ah. Okay.” Twilight stretched her neck, and yawned. “You know anypony who needs a ship for anything?”

Zecora considered a moment. “A dangerous job I offer, one that will fill your coffer.”

“What is it?”

“Once I tell you, you must accept. Secrets are often poorly kept.”

Twilight frowned. “What kind of danger?”

“Unknown, Twilight my dear. There is a new Island with many dangers I fear.”

“A new, uncharted Island? Well, my map charts itself wherever the Mare goes. That’s a perfect job for us.”

“Then the details are yours – come back here, once you have explored the island of Torres.” The zebra pushed a roll of papers at Twilight.

“Thank you a lot, Zecora. It’s nice to have a job not involving passengers or cargo. Both make my ship a target. It was great to see you again, though. Glad you’re still working.” The three ponies stood, and Twilight took a hold of the papers.

“No, it is I that am glad – were you to disappear completely, one would be very sad.”

Twilight smiled at the Zebra, and the trio left the tavern.

And bumped right into Rainbow dash with a clinking bag.

Twilight raised her eyebrows at the mare, who looked sheepish for a whopping half second.

“Fourteen bits a barrel, all delivered. Bon says thanks, and she’ll come to you if she needs more and you’re around.”

She stuck the bag out at Twilight, and the unicorn took it.

Twilight smiled. “Good job, Rainbow.” She took the bag and counted out seven of the coins, and drifted them to Rainbow. “Have a drink on me,” she said, giving the Pegasus one more bit than her share. Rainbow smiled.

“Thanks, Twi! Hey, did we get any work?”

“In fact, we did. From an old friend. She’s in the tavern. Go talk to her. We’ll leave mid-day tomorrow.”

“Awesome. See ya on the ship, guys.”

The four ponies separated, and went on their ways. Twilight looked at her companions. “I’m heading back to the Mare. I need some extra sleep tonight. You gals do whatever you like, just be back at the ship by noon tomorrow.”

Her companions nodded, and started walking off into the city.

The Free Mare had stopped at Crest City dozens of times. It was the largest Island in the area, and that area was one they travelled often. They often chained around the surrounding islands – Fog, Crest, Cross, Reel and Windfall – to do work wherever it was needed.

As Twilight made it to the harbor, she looked around. She was surprised to see a ship with blue sails docking at the harbor.

“Blue sails?”

A passing dockworker heard her. “Yeah, apparently it’s a big, fancy ship from the Severed Isles.” He passed on.

“The Severed Isles…”

Twilight thought to herself again as she strode toward the red sails of her own ship. The Severed Isles were a chain of smaller Islands to the west, together making up the largest territory governed by one body other than the Equestrian government. If they were sending out official ships, something was brewing.

Twilight boarded her ship, heading to the captain’s quarters as the sun began to set.

So what if the Severed Isles were trying to expand. Wasn’t her problem. Equestrian, Severed, it didn’t matter.

The Free Mare was governed by nopony but Twilight and her crew.