• Published 21st Jul 2019
  • 754 Views, 7 Comments

Psalm of the Druid Priestess - Hope Caster



After Zephyr Breeze is captured by a foreign empire, Fluttershy must find a way to free him and help bring peace to two kingdoms.

  • ...
2
 7
 754

Discord Things

Cotton Tail was a rabbit of renown amongst the small critters of the wood, from the playful rabbits to the greedy squirrel. He could outrun every predator, out wit ever hunter, and charm most deer that lived in Thicket. But of his personal exploits, his proudest moment was evading the Beast many moons ago. None of his kin, the kits or the hares, knew exactly what the beast was, only that it brought death to their kind and deceived their defenders, the Druids.

For generations, he had prowled about the forest, slaughtering them one by one. There was always a sound that echoed through the forest whenever a life would be taken: a twang. Whenever there was a twang, something fell dead, boar, rabbit, squirrel or avian. Cotton tail sniffed there are and listened carefully, there seemed to be no predators around and he couldn’t hear a twang of any kind, now could he smell the Beast’s vile and pungent scent.

He hopped a few feet, found some greens to munch on and thought about what he would do for the rest of the day. Suddenly, there then came a slight rustle in the bushes, and Cotton Tail straightened. He sniffed the air. Nothing had changed, save for a slight bitterness that hung low. That smell, it was unmistakably the Beast. With its heart racing, Cotton Tail turned and ran as fast as he could, but it was far too late. There came a twang, and Cotton Tail was no more.


His draw and release would be the envy of the world if he ever bothered to showcase them. The rabbit could have gotten away had it been a single second quicker and had his draw and release been just one-half a second slower. Discord knelt down and ripped his arrow out of the rabbit’s limp body and attached it to a carrier that housed other rabbits that he’d killed.

Considering that rabbit is all that he was able to find today, he’d had the worst luck with his hunt, or Discord Things as he called it when Fluttershy was around. The worst luck he had was finding one of his traps, which had a single pink hair near it, dismantled and the tracks littered about the sight. Worst of all they looked like fox tracks, and he did love roasted fox, especially when there were no boars about his little woodlot. He would ponder who it was that destroyed his trap, but it was obviously Fluttershy.

Part of him desperately wanted to be angry with her, but how could he be? She was the kindest girl he’d ever known, so it was impossible to even think of a negative word to describe her with. Not that he was in any position to say what she was, he was a liar after all.

“My bow and arrows? I hardly use them!” He would say, knowing he was going to hunt almost after she left. “Meat? I detest the very concept!” He would cry, having just buried the entrails and bones of his game last night. “I really do love this Fluttershy! It’s about all I eat all day!” He would say, earning him a smile, even though he had some jerky lingering around somewhere in the back of the cave he was dying to eat.

But how could he in front of her? He knew she wouldn’t judge him for such things, but he knew how it would make her feel. Disgusted, horrified since she would know how he procured his food, but still understanding. Fluttershy was always understanding with him. However, he could see the look on her face though. It would ask why, why was he so cruel to her little forest friends, how could he hunt on Thicket’s land, slaying such innocent creatures, and how could he lie to her for years? They were supposed to be friends!

Discord groaned as all these questions invaded his mind. He had trouble naming anything else that caused him as much stress. There was only one thing that he could do: he put them in a box that existed in the back of his head and ignored them. This was the answer to most of his problems when he felt guilty about Fluttershy and lying to her, which was often.

The sun was slowly setting, and the air was getting cooler. Discord let out a sigh as he headed towards his cave. He skinned and gutted his haul, before stuffing the carcasses with herbs, sewing them shut, and skewering the them. Then, as carefully as he could, Discord placed each one over his fire. Instantly the smell of roasting meat filled the air and made his mouth water. Surely, though it would be a small meal, it was one well earned, so very well earned.

All that was left was making sure that no one would find out about his hunt, especially Fluttershy. Entirely Fluttershy. And all he had to do was make it seem like his bow and arrow had never been touched. For some this would be difficult, but not for Discord. It was easy to keep up his lies, if not tiring at times, and it was all thanks to his little trinket, the one thing that he kept from his old home.

Draqunicui were marvelous and mighty creatures. They could warp reality and do the impossible with a mere snap of their fingers, but only if they were in the confines of their homestead. Should a draqunicuss leave their boarders, like Discord had, they were rendered powerless.

However, someone like Discord always hated penalties, and so he had come up with a way to still be able to warp reality to an extent. It was not like what he could do in back home, but it was enough. It was all thanks to his trinket. It was such a valuable, indispensable little trinket, that carried a piece of his homeland with it. The power it gave him was just enough power to cover his tracks.

Discord gripped his crystal and focused. He envisioned what he wanted his came to look like, with his bow and quiver in the back covered in cob webs. Taking a deep breath, his eyes began to glow white, and snapping of fingers, there was a flash. There in the back of the cave, was his weapons. Letting out a deep sigh, he collapsed to the floor and began to breathe deeply. It was a fraction easier that time, a very slight fraction easier. It still took much out of him. He would need to sleep and eat, and he would be right as rain the next morning before Fluttershy came to bring him lunch.

All he could do now was think of his marvelous roasted rabbits that were cooking over the fire and Fluttershy’s little smiled. Oh, how that smile upset his stomach. Perhaps he was sick again, and he just got over it earlier today, right after Fluttershy left. Sure, he was in a state of complete loneliness after that, but he didn’t feel sick, just lonely.

Discord dragged himself to his cot and collapsed. The rabbit was smelling heavenly, but they still had time to cook. Not that he could complain, his cot was warm and welcoming. His plan for the next day played through his head like a vision from the future. He would eat a fine supper tonight and see Fluttershy tomorrow, before repeating the process. The thought of Fluttershy gave him that feeling in his stomach again. He had to get to bed early if he wanted to be rested for tomorrow, and as active as he usually was for Fluttershy.

Hunting was tiring though, as his magic drained him. If he wanted to be properly lazy for a few days, then all he had to do was find just a single boar. Once he did that, it would take but a single arrow, two tops. Discord’s aim was always true, and his arrows flew far. Once the boar had been caught, he would have a feast, more so if there were piglets with it. He could carve them all up, dig an oven underground, wrap the cuts in cloth to keep them from getting dirty and in a few hours, enjoy a delectable meal. He could then dry the rest of the meat out and subsist on it for days. If he was fast about it, he could also make salted pork, bacon, and so many other things. It was making him hungry just thinking about it. The rabbits still had some time to cook though. Perhaps it was time to get some rest. He was sure that once he woke up tomorrow, it would be just another lovely day and nothing would change. What Discord couldn't have known was that he couldn't be anymore wrong.

Author's Note:

A short chapter dedicated to an archer and his Discord Things.

Discord: hunter, liar, snazzy dresser… Also, a law breaker. How will his hunting and lies influence his relationship with Fluttershy? Will she be more understanding than he expects? Will Discord ever find out that feeling deep in his stomach when thinking about Fluttershy is not some disease? Maybe, maybe not, who’s to say?

Next Chapter: Problems and Promises. It’s a Fluttershy chapter!

As always comments are appreciated.