• Published 19th Jun 2019
  • 3,590 Views, 81 Comments

My Little World - CrackedInkWell



Lauren Faust returns to the land of Equestria once again, this time to go after her daughter that has gone in through a hole in the wall, chasing a blue griffon.

  • ...
3
 81
 3,590

12: The Canterlot Incident

“So… How was that?” Lauren asked, with Alice in her arms.

“I think it helped quite a bit,” Celestia said, eyeing from one of the windows. From the looks of it, Canterlot has seemed to calm down from their mass panic attack. “It’s also a relief to know that the end of the world isn’t happening anytime soon.”

“A relief is a mighty understatement.” Twilight entered Celestia’s chambers, closing the doors behind her. “Based on the first impressions from the radio, it sounds like ponies everywhere are calming down. To be honest, I don’t blame them. Even I needed to hear from someone that everything was going to be okay.”

“Again, I’m really sorry for scaring the daylights out of everyone. I swear I didn’t mean to.” Setting Alice down, she added, “With all the trouble I cause, I don’t blame you if you wanted me gone.”

Luna looked between her and her sister, taken aback at what she said. She went over to drape a wing over her shoulders. “If it’s any consolation, nopony here holds you accountable. It was an accident. Besides, with dangers to our kingdom are concerned, it’s hardly the worst threat any of us had seen.”

Lauren couldn’t argue that if she tried. Despite knowing what was coming in the final season, Luna was right – they had faced much, much worse than her unintentional slip-up. This was a world where they overcame invasions, power-hungry monsters, magic drainers, would-be tyrants, and Discord. Compared to them, Lauren's accidental existential crisis was a hiccup at worst.

Twilight cleared her throat, getting their attention. “Still… There is the question of what you want to do now.”

“What do you mean?”

“From my point of view, now that there isn’t anything in the way, I can see that you have two choices: either we can continue this tour of Equestria. Or you could go back to where you came from. Assuming that is if time is even a factor.”

“Come to think of it… It’s not.” Lauren reached into her pocket to pull out her cell phone. Sure enough, it still showed the exact day and time she left. “I think time has frozen the moment we left. We could probably go around for years and come back like nothing ever happened. I think it’s like a Narnia situation.”

“A what?” Luna tilted her head.

“Never mind, it’s a… A story from my world. But the point is, while we’re here, we can stay here as long as we like so there’s no rush going back home yet. And since I know that this is the Equestria from my imagination… Well, I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more sights and meeting a few ponies along the way.” Lauren laughed, “Of course, the only problem I see is where to start?”

“If I make a suggestion,” Celestia said, “it wouldn’t hurt for you to start here in Canterlot. It would be nice to show you what it’s like on our end both for the day and the night.”

“Besides,” Twilight added, “Would give me plenty of time to have my friends and students return to Ponyville. I don’t know how long it will take, but if you do decide to go outside of Canterlot, would you at least send a letter?”

“We’ll keep you in touch.” Celestia nodded. Turning to her mother, she added, “Besides, I can at least introduce you to a few friends of my own.”


For Lauren, it was one thing to try to figure out what the design of Canterlot was going to look like – but it’s another to be in it. What impressed her most of all was the sheer scale of Equestria’s capital. A sprawling cityscape that was somewhere between a Renaissance fantasy and a melting pot of architectural flourishes from onion domes to European castles. While the streets were gorgeous to look at, she didn’t notice how green it all was. She already lost track of how many parks, how many green belts, and how many streams flowed harmoniously between buildings. Ranging from homes to die for to some of the prettiest public structures she’s seen in years. All from the uniformity and variety of white stone, purple/blue roofs, and choice decoration of gold.

“… And this street is known as Restaurant Row,” Celestia pointed out. Having to ride in the great royal carriage, Lauren sat between her and the guards who were pulling this awkward vehicle around the city. If she was honest, she was glad that she left Alice with the servants to look after her because there would be no way she would allow her on this thing without her falling off. There were no seatbelts or railings on this thing. Just a padded chair that was meant to drive the royal sisters around. Lauren could still sit on the edge of the thing, yet it was obvious to her that this thing wasn’t meant for humans to ride on.

Celestia continued, “Up until a few years ago, this was the most unchanging street in Canterlot which even I try to avoid at all cost. I don’t know if you know this, but these restaurants were highly rated but almost nopony went to them. There was even a joke where the only reason anypony would go is to have the experience of having nothing on your plate and everything on the bill. That was until a small Manedian place opened up called the Tasty Treat – that’s it down there – had revolutionized this street where it put taste back front and center.”

Lauren knew what she was talking about and remembered the episode quite well. It was one thing to look into the reaction of an episode about defending the new, but it was more interesting to her to see what became of it. Indeed, this very street showed what impact it had on the ponies having lunch. Ponies loved what they were eating. For a moment, she imagined what would happen if that episode didn’t air. Would there be anyone here at all besides the occasional wealthy customer or that persnickety food critic? She may not have been strictly involved of course, but there was a very real impact that was made right here on this street.

“I say, Princess!” Lauren’s thoughts were derailed when she heard one of the ponies calling out. Even before she saw him, she knew who it was.

“Stop the carriage,” Celestia called to the guards, and they slowed down. Looking down with a beaming smile, she said: “Mother, I would like to introduce you to somepony.” Fancy Pants and Flur de Lis. There was no question about it in Lauren’s mind. A snappy-dressed stallion with a monical in his eye, accompanied by a slender mare that had a flowing pink mane by his side, they were waving at them to pull over. “Fancy Pants, I’m glad to run into you.”

“Likewise, Princess.” Fancy bowed. “Needless to say today has been a rather eventful with… and beg your pardon, but who is this?”

“Believe it or not, this is my mother.” Celestia said, “This is who talked over the radio.”

Both Fancy and Flur blinked. “I… see…” Fancy hesitated for a moment before offering a hoof to Lauren. “How do you do, ma’am?”

“Doing much better.” Lauren shook his hoof. “Again, sorry if I caused anyone to freak out.”

“I won’t lie, it was quite a shock. But hopefully, it isn’t the end of the world.” Fancy laughed nervously. “Still, you are quite the interesting character. I’ve never seen a creature the likes of you before. Might I assume that you are from a place far away?”

“If you like.”

“And you’re the mother of the princesses?”

“I know, it’s weird. Really weird, but in a way it’s true.” Even though she couldn’t read their minds, Lauren could see it on Fancy and Flur’s faces that they thought of the same thing: Ah! So they must be adopted then! “But yes, I’m their mom and I’ll be visiting for a bit. Celestia and Luna are showing me around Equestria.”

“Brilliant,” Fancy nodded. “I say, will you be in Canterlot long? I’m throwing a dinner party at my home and of course, Her Highness and you are welcome to come.”

“Oh no, I don’t want to intrude-”

“It won’t be at all! It would be an honor if you popped by.”

“We would love to,” Celestia smiled. “When is it at?”


In hindsight, foalsitting isn’t the worst thing in the world to do. Especially when one had to look after the child of a creature nopony has ever seen before. The maid tasked to look after Alice, named Polish, was able to find some crayons and paper for the child to draw with. If she was being honest, it was the only thing she could think of to keep her entertained. Given that the palace hadn’t hosted a child in eons, she knew there weren’t any toys or dolls for her to play with.

“You draw?” Alice asked, offering her a light blue crayon.

Polish shook her head, “I’m not good at it.”

The room they were in was rarely used in the palace. Known as the art room, once upon a time this used to have artists that would create, touch up, or repair works of art. Nearly every medium and tool that one could think of was in this little studio, and of high quality too. The crayons for instance not only come in every color imaginable, but they were thicker, waxy, and sturdy compared to those that foals usually find at their schools.

Alice, still on her knees, offered Polish a piece of paper. “Doesn’t need be good. Drawing is fun.”

Polish looked between her and the crayon. Rolling her eyes, she lit up her horn. “Oh alright.” Taking the crayon and piece of paper, she laid it on the floor and drew the first thing that came to mind. “How’s this?” She showed her a quick outline of a cloud.

“Pretty.” Alice smiled and returned to her drawing. Polish was about to add something else to her humble work of art until she noticed what Alice was making. It was crude, but it showed a drawing of an alicorn, one that Polish had never seen before. The outline of a sky blue pony with unnaturally tall, thin legs, an enormous set of wings of white, a forest green horn, and orange eyes. Alice switched over to a yellow crayon to put a crown on the head.

“Who is that?” Polish asked.

“It’s uh…” Alice paused in her drawing. Thinking about it for a good few minutes, trying to find the right words. “What is uh… I-Imaginary friend!”

“Oh, you’re drawing your imaginary friend?”

“Uh-huh.” Alice nodded. “His name uh… Sky Cloud.”

Polish let out an amused smile cross her face. “Sky Cloud?”

“He a prince. Makes chocolate cookies. And plays basketball.”

“With legs like those, he could easily win buckball all on his own.”

“No, just basketball. It’s my favorite game.”

Polish’s eyes went wide at the new voice, she and Alice turned around to see the colossally freakish alicorn with legs that were so long they nearly collided with the ceiling. He had white wings that were enormous but hung off from his smaller body, a green horn, an orange mane, and a little crown on his head.

“Hello little Alice,” Sky Cloud waved a hoof.

Polish screamed.