• Published 27th Jun 2019
  • 298 Views, 5 Comments

Here's what I see... - WhiskeyWolf70



A happy, fun fic about a girl who gets involved in Equestria's biggest racing festival.

  • ...
 5
 298

Prologue

I can still remember when I first got her. One of my dream cars. 1966 Chevrolet Nova. It was my fifteenth birthday, my uncle... he was a lot like me, thought car culture got boring after 2010. Everything began slipping down that steep slope towards looking the same, performing the same. What's the fun in a car that drives for you? No way, screw that shit.

My uncle had scoured the web for a listing... He never found one. Just nobody selling at the time. I was bummed, but... not for long. Granddad, who lived about twenty miles away, on an old farm, gave us a call. In an old, run down barn on the far edge of his property, he managed to find one.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead, say 'Oh well that's rather convenient' all you want. I didn't give a damn, it was one of my favorites, and all I had to do... was restore it. Oh you thought it was in working order? So did I, so I was pretty bummed to see it was a half rusted out, moss ridden hunk of metal with a half stripped engine and rotted out seats. Oh, and raccoons. A whole damn family of them.

We rolled that eyesore out best we could, hauled it onto a flatbed, and drove it over to my uncle's garage. It took us months, and we worked nigh every night. New bodywork, new seats, rebuilt engine, fresh coat of Tropical Shallows Blue paint, nice, slick, detarnished chrome bumpers. The parts were a bitch and a half to find, but we got it done, and we were left with my baby: Paradise Maiden. I'd gotten my licence two months after we finished, and I drove her up to Canterlot High every school day.

Oh yeah, my school years, that was a heyday. Freshman year there were a ton of magic things that went down, not to mention all that Anon-A-Miss bull. I dunno all the details, but it was safe to say that was a crazy year. Sophomore year though? Man that was when shit started gettin' good. I'd drive up to CHS and I swear, half the student body would charge up. Hell even the faculty loved it, Vice-Principal Luna even asked to have a few pictures with it, and a peek under the hood. Still shocks me to this day that she's a car gal.

Junior year is when things started really ramping up for me. Those seven girls involved in all that magic stuff went on to help out with Horizon. What's Horizon? Can't beleive there's anyone who hasn't at least heard of Horizon. It's Equestria's biggest, most balls-to-the-wall racing festival. Started over in Coltorado, then went to southern Prance and northern Eeetaly. Even hit up Austneighlia and Braytin. That festival is half of what inspired me to set up my Automotive Arts club at CHS.

The Automotive Arts club. With supervision, I introduced members to barn finds, restoration projects, gave them in depth history of various brands... None of that Liberty Walk or Rocket Bunny crap. Showed them to appreciate a car how it was visually designed, taught them to respect the original bodywork.

Senior year... a bittersweet time. Graduation, having my whole life ahead of me... leaving behind the Automotive Arts club. I'd been through a lot with them. Won a good few contests and such with project cars. Hell, even built our own from scrap. That was quite a sight for the haters, made 'em go ape shit. By then interest in my Nova fizzled out. It wasn't hot shit anymore. Not with one kid rolling in with an old R31 Skyline. That was the new 'Paradise Maiden'. I suppose it's for the best though, give someone else the spotlight. I had my life to live.

Once graduation had passed, however, I started looking into Horizon a little more. I'd loved cars and racing since I was a little girl, so what I found was... enticing, to say the least. I'd taken my baby to the track before, just to dick around... but now? Well... gotta get good if I want a chance at the roster. Whenever the chance came up, I ran time trials, I raced... I caught the attention of a talent scout. Introduced himself as Slipstream, gave me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Come to Horizon, race my dream cars. Horizon was in Equestria this year, in a city in lower North Coltifornia called Amber Bay. Long drive from Canterlot, but oh hell was this worth it!

Author's Note:

Thank you for reading the prologue to my first fic! If you've got any ideas for Showcase Events, hit me up! I'm having 7 slots for this, so don't be shy!