• Published 19th Nov 2019
  • 580 Views, 9 Comments

Light from the Darkness: A Royal Canterlot Family Story - Foxhelm



There is more to the story of the late king

  • ...
3
 9
 580

Prologue: To Write the Truth

Sombra woke from his sleep. He groaned as he felt his joints crack and the disks of his spine slip slightly. He looked to the wall as and saw that it was many hours until Celestia would have to get up to raise the sun. He sighed as he got out of bed and looked at it and Celestia sleeping in it. A small smile formed on his lips before he levitated the blanket and such back so to keep Celestia warm. He turned and left their bedroom, heading towards the castle’s study. He grunted and strained as he walked, his age had caught up with him long ago and has overtaken him recently.

“King Sombra?” came a stallion’s voice. Sombra turned and saw a bat pony guard that was mostly black with what seemed to be yellow stripes. “What are you doing up?” the guard asked as he walked up to Sombra.

Sombra squinted a bit as he tried to identify the guard, “I think I know you…” Sombra muttered. His eyes then widen in revelation, “Oh, Mr. Bumble Tiger.” he chuckled.

“Haha.” ‘Bumble Tiger’ laughed, “Foxhelm, your grace. But with all due respect, you haven’t answered my questions, because your physician said that you should be in bed”

Sombra sighed as he dipped his head, “I can’t die in that bed. It’s the bed Celestia and I consummated our marriage in, the bed my seven biological daughters were conceived and born in.”

“TMI,” Foxhelm said as he tried to keep his mind blank.

“The point is, it’s a bed for Life… and I…” Sombra stopped. He knew his time in this world and life was coming to its end, but he didn’t have the courage to face it. “Will you assist me towards the study?” Sombra asked. Foxhelm nodded and walked to be beside Sombra. Sombra placed his left front leg over Foxhelm’s shoulders and the two walked, Foxhelm being more or less a living walking stick.

After a half-hour walk, the two arrived at the study. Sombra used his magic to open the door. “Thank you, Foxhelm,” Sombra said as he went in. He got to the desk and levitated a set of quills, a fairly large ink fountain, filled it, and a slightly larger than a normal journal. “You can go back to your patrol. Just shut the door.”

“Wouldn't you like some more light, maybe get the study's fireplace going, a couple of blankets, you are supposed to be resting after all.” Foxhelm countered. Sombra nodded reluctantly and waited for Foxhelm to light a few long wick candles, got a fire in the fireplace going at a low but constant heat and finally placed a large blanket over Sombra's shoulders. “And now I shall obey your order to leave, shut the door and return to my patrol.”

As Foxhelm was heading out, there was a question that Sombra had to ask, “Excuse me, Foxhelm, one last thing. Would care to give me your thoughts on a Spring-Winter Romance?”

Foxhelm stopped and then face-winged. “Seriously, every pony I know been asking me that ever since they found out about the nickname Princess Gale gave me and that she's the one that gave it. Why does every pony ask me that?” Foxhelm sighed. “With all due respect, Your Grace, but that's frankly none of your business.” Foxhelm then started to the door again. “Good night, Your Grace,” Foxhelm said and shut the door behind him.

Sombra chuckled as he was in on a joke. He took a breath looked out the window to see the sky still very much night. He adjusted the blanket Foxhelm got him and opened the journal. He took a breath before he levitated the quill to get ink. Once he was satisfied he got enough, 'My dearest daughters, you each have heard of my ascension and the various adventures in. But that story is only true from a certain point of view. Think of what your mother has told you of my life is a lot like your annual Hearth Warming Eve plays, it's true, but there is a lot more to the actual events. What you will read in this journal is like what you would find in the first-person logs of Smart Cookie, Private Pansy, Clover the Clever, Commander Hurricane, Princess Platinum, even Chancellor Puddinghead and anypony who wrote back then.’ He finished his note and let the ink dry. He sighed, “Well, it’s time.”