• Published 18th Jun 2019
  • 1,037 Views, 12 Comments

Equestrian Gourmet Adventures - BlurtheHedgehog



A Displaced story. Marshall, a Toriko fan, is sent to a Gourmet Age Equestria. Read as he makes friends through food and battles rare ingredients. “To the world that has bestowed it bounty upon us, we give thanks. Itadakimasu.”

  • ...
4
 12
 1,037

Chapter two: Hunt the King of Hayseed Swamp – Marshall VS the Cragadile.

Author's Note:

Disclaimer: Blur the Hedgehog does not own My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic nor Toriko. They are the sole properties of their respective owners and subsidiaries. Thank you.

Someone once said, out there in the world deep in the mountain’s, spires of rock candy grow and shimmer like rare jewels, Jewel Candy Caverns. The world is in the great Gourmet age, an age where people quest to discover unknown and wondrous delights.

Marshall sat in his room on the ship massaging his arm. He had been poked and prodded by the medical staff of the Port Authority. He was certain that the good Captain was having a laugh at him. The medical staff stated that he and the crew were safe to walk about the city as they all seemed healthy. He was currently waiting for the go ahead from the princess seeing as how she had the final say. “All this red tape makes doing anything a god damned nightmare.” Marshall growled before his stomach growled. “I was so hoping to try the food here.” He wiped the drool from his mouth as he walked to the galley. The galley of the ship while just as Spartan as his room it had tables and chairs that would not be out of place in a small Bistro.

“I’ve never had a salad like this before.” Captain Steady Wind stated as Marshall walked into the room. She was sitting at a table with Agent Lee a look of bliss on her face and sparkles in her eyes. “The leafy greens are so crisp and the vegetables are so flavorful.” She then looked at the little mollusk sitting on the table next to her, “Not to mention this little guy here.” She stroked its pointed yet bulbous head getting a happy chirp from the little guy. “A Dressing Squid you called it.” Agent Lee smiled and nodded. “Fascinating, to think that somewhere out there are animals that naturally secret condiments instead of ink like normal animals.”

“I once saw a herd of sheep that was covered with cotton candy instead of wool.” Agent Lee chuckled seeing the childlike wonder on the grown mare’s face. “If all goes well here, you might be seeing an influx of exotic foods like these.”

“The way through red tape is through their stomach.” Marshall laughed from the buffet table, loading his plate high with food. Lee and Steady Wind turned to see him all but clear the table of food. “Sharing the food of one’s home with others makes it taste all the better.”

“Are you going to be able to eat all that?” Steady Wind asked a little shocked by the pile of food. “I’ve seen stallions try to be all macho and pile on the food only to not even finish a quarter of their plate.” She saw the glee on Marshall’s face as he sat down and start eating.

“As a Gourmet Hunter,” Lee explained not even the least bit surprised by the scene he was seeing. “Marshall has a higher nutritional demand than a normal person. One of the most extreme examples of a Gourmet Hunter’s appetite would be a man known as Zebra.” At the shocked look from Steady Wind. “He is in prison for eating several species to extinction.”

“That’s not Lee making Zebra out to be a cocky bastard,” Marshall stated as he stopped eating to join the conversation, “That is a documented fact.” Before Steady Wind could retort, a flash of light came from her badge and a scroll appeared. ‘All ways wondered how Celestia contacted her other important ponies without a dragon assistant.’ Marshall thought and saw the royal crest.

“A scroll from the Princess,” Steady Wind said as she picked up the scroll. She opened it and seemed to speed read the message. Her eyes widened and she jumped to her hooves. “You need to come with me.” She stated as she pointed at Marshal. “The Princess wants to meet with you specifically.” She then noticed the empty plates and was about to question it when she shook her head and handed Marshall the scroll. “Your occupation has caught her attention and she wants to test your ability.”

Something pretty big must be happening if she trusts a foreigner to deal with it.’ Marshall thought. “Alright, if that is what she wants, that is what she shall get.”

“The princess will be meeting us in the conference room back at HQ.” Steady Wind stated as she stepped onto the deck. “I’ll fly ahead to let her know you’re coming.”

The Baltimare Harbor was full of ships loading and unloading cargo. Marshall saw the ponies of the harbor gave looks of either confusion or mild indifference. Thankfully the Port Authority office was within walking distance of the ship. It was a rather plain looking three story building with a plaque over the entrance that said what the building housed. He saw a golden chariot out front with four anthro Pegasus guards clad in gold armor standing near it and something that surprised him the most. Attached to the chariot was four Draft Horse looking Pegasus. ‘So the Equestria I was sent to has both anthropomorphic ponies and regular beast of burden horses.’ Marshall thought as he passed the four guards. The first floor of the building was designed for tourists and had a stairwell to the left and right of the main floor. Marshall walked up to the receptionist and said, “I’m here to see the Princess.”

“She is waiting for you in conference room three upstairs.” The brown earth pony mare said pointing to her left.

“Thank you.” Marshall said as he made his way up the stairs. The next floor had the conference rooms and all of them were the same in appearance. A long table and chairs around each side. In the room with a three on the door, Marshall saw the Captain sitting with a woman who would make most in his old world jealous of her beauty. “Princess Celestia, I presume.” Marshall said to the regal mare. ‘I’m still wondering if gravity can affect her hair.’ “Why did you want to see me?” He asked as he sat down across from Steady Wind.

“For the past few weeks,” Celestia said and handed him the report from Hayseed Swamp. “Some dangerous creature is causing the more vicious predators to leave the deeper part of Hayseed Swamp.” She sighed sadly, “If some beast is dangerous enough to cause a Hydra to flee the depths of Hayseed Swamp, I fear my little ponies might not be enough to stop it.”

“This beast sounds like it is a Capture Level 8 or greater.” Marshall stated as he read the report. “The big question right now is,” He leveled a stern look at the princess, “Why are you asking a foreigner you’ve known about for, at the very least, half a day?” He pointed at Steady Wind, “The Captain here said this assignment was going to be a test for me.” He took a deep breath in through his nose, “You don’t have the scent of one who has spent their entire life in luxury. If I had to guess I would say you were at one point a front line fighter. Experience like that means you’re a strong woman.” Celestia was surprised at the man’s analysis of her scent. “So I ask again, why ask me to do this as a test?” The princess suddenly saw a being rise up from behind Marshall. This being was humanoid in appearance and looked like it was made of stars. In the being’s chest was a black hole and when she looked into its eyes she was looking into a pair of spiral nebulas.

“You’re wrong about me being strong.” She seemed to say before she could register her words. “While I won’t deny that I am magically powerful I was not strong enough to prevent the one I cared about most from succumbing to darkness.” She shivered as the memory of that day came to the surface. “In the one thousand years since that day I have had doubt plaguing my mind. These doubts have left me questioning my worthiness of my title of princess.” The truth of her words seemed to wash away the image of the perfect princess and leave behind a tired war veteran. In spite of her natural beauty she suddenly looked much older. “I understand if you won’t take the assignment.” She started to say when Marshall cut her off.

“I will be taking this assignment.” Marshall stated getting a surprised look on her face. The being behind him reached out and gently pet Celestia like a vet calming a wounded animal. “You showed me a side of you that you have not shown to anyone in a long time and you showed it to a stranger.” He placed his hand on hers, “Since you have told me something deep and personal, it is only right to do the same.” Marshall pointed over his shoulder. “I take it you saw him, right?” Celestia nodded and he continued. “What you saw was a manifestation of my gourmet cells, the secret to my power. Not everyone where I come from can do this but those that can are usually strong enough to take on a beast of a capture level of 50.” He thought back to the info he learned from the internet. “These people go on to give their manifestations a title, mine is known as The Butcher.”

Both Celestia and Steady Wind shivered, “That is a very disturbing title.” Steady Wind stated.

“Popular media has portrayed The Butcher as some gore loving mass murderer.” Marshall said calmly, “The Butcher is nothing like that. If The Butcher is doing their job right, you can see no difference between them and a surgeon.” *Shing* *Clink* Marshall scrapped his butcher tools together allowing them to manifest around his hands. “The Butcher’s job is to properly prepare meat so that only the best and healthiest are sent to their consumers. The Butcher is the first line of defense for the health of the people.” Marshall saw the mare’s pensive looks and decided to change the subject. “When do I leave for this Hayseed Swamp?”

“You’ll have two hours to prepare.” Celestia stated as she sat straighter. “I will lend you the use of my chariot and send one of my trusted soldiers to go with you.”

Marshall spent those two hours gathering some insect repellent and a special salt that causes leeches to let go of someone. He also found the Gourmet Cartographer, named Smith, and told him what was happening. The two of them made their way back to the Port Authority Head Quarters and saw the chariot was ready to go. A new mare was standing next to it. She was wearing gold armor and had a grey coat and white mane and tail. She was a unicorn with an athletic build. “Lieutenant Stalwart Light,” she said with a salute, “Princess Celestia has tasked me with overseeing your mission.”

“Very well, let’s get a move on.” Marshall stated after he sniffed the air. They piled into the chariot and the Pegasus started to move. When the chariot started to fly up into the air, smith started to look over the side in astonishment. “How does this chariot fly like it is?” Marshall asked as he rubbed the gilded vehicle.

“Magic reactive metal,” The Lieutenant stated, “It allows a Pegasus to channel their magic into it and grant it the same abilities as they have.” The chariot flew across Horse Shoe Bay and in three hours touched down at the northwestern edge of the Hayseed Swamp. As the group disembarked the gourmet cartographer gasped.

“What are those things?” he pointed to a rocky outcropping. The rest looked at what he was pointing at and were shocked. It was a troop of chimpanzee like creatures with anglerfish like faces and crustacean like shells on their bodies. Their hands looked like a combination of lobster claws and regular ape hands. Coming out of their tail bones were lobster like tails.

“Their overall appearance reminds me of Friday monkeys.” Marshall stated as he noticed them looking at the group fearfully. “If I had to hazard a guess, I think they have a habitat farther in land.” He tapped his forehead to think, “Their Capture Level would be around a two if I had to be generous.” The sound of something hard hitting a rock drew his attention. In front of the troop was a much larger creature. His shell was blue with red spikes. Its left hand was much larger than the others. On its chin were thick feelers that twitched every now and then. “That one seems to be the leader.” Marshall pointed out, “If I had to guess, Capture Level four at best.” He noticed the cartographer writing some notes down and stated, “I think I’ll call the smaller one Angler Shrimpanzees and the big one Red Spine Shrimpanzee.”

“What should we do about them?” Stalwart Light asked as she lit up her horn.

“We take care of the beast that has driven them from their home.” Marshall stated as he flicked her horn. “Let’s get going and restore the balance to this ecosystem.” The group gathered their supplies and started to walk into the swamp. The group had been walking for a few minutes when a small rumble could be heard. A small group of rodents started running by but they were all really strange. Their bodies were shaped like vegetables from artichokes to zucchinis. Marshall reached out and snatched one that was shaped like a radish. It squirmed and squeaked as it tried to get freed. “Veggie Rodents,” Marshall said as he looked at the beast, “Capture Level One depending on the swarm.” He let the small thing go and it ran off.

“What were they running from?” Smith said before he gagged as a foul odor assaulted his nose. “What is that smell?” A hungry growl answered his question. A group of wolves walked out of the shadows. The wolves had glowing green eyes and their bodies were made of wood.

“Timber Wolves, here?” Stalwart Light asked as she looked at the pack.

“I’ll handle them.” Marshall stated as he set his pack down. He rushed forward and delivered a powerful punch to the head of a wolf causing it to explode. The rest pounced with gnashing teeth and slashing claws. Marshall punched and kicked the wolves and swayed and bended out of the reach of their attacks. He then noticed that the ones he put down or injured got up again by pulling dead vegetation to it and rebuilt itself. “Looks like I need to kick things up a notch.” His fists and forearms started to heat up while his feet and shins started to cool off. “HOT PRESS!” he punched one of the wolves and it burst into flames ten seconds later. “COLD PRESS!” he kicked another wolf and ice spike erupted out of it and ripped it apart. He kept punching and kicking them but soon found that the ones he set on fire would not reform. He looked at the last one and said, “You have one chance to leave now, TAKE IT!” the wolf growled and glared then its eyes flashed as it howled. A pillar of green light burst up into the sky. The remains of the pack flew to the beast while larger pieces of dead wood came to it as it started to grow. The beast now stood twenty feet tall its wooden hide was thicker. “A final stand ability,” Marshall said in shock then got excited, “Very well then, let’s make this a battle one for the ages.”

“GRRAAAARRRRGGH!” The wolf roared as it charged and swung one of its paws. Marshall dodged only to be caught by the leg by the wolf’s jaws. He was swung left and right before he was tossed into an oak. The wolf charged again and slammed its head into Marshall and through many trees behind him. Marshall recovered and slammed his fists into the skull of the beast causing it to stumble.

HOT PRESS!” Marshall shouted as he delivered a right jab to the side of the beast which burst into flame but only around where he hit. The wolf thrashed and kicked Marshall across the clearing. He flipped around and landed on his feet before launching himself in a flying kick. “COLD PRESS!” His foot made contact with the wolf’s leg and the ice burst off the first layer of wood. “You’re now tougher than you were as a pack.” His arms erupted in flames and his feet had freezing mist swirling around his legs. After this the wolf charged again and Marshall dodged it. “300 DEGREE HOT PRESS!” This time the whole left side of the wolf turned into a bonfire and before the beast could thrash, “-300 DEGREE COLD PRESS!” He kicked the bonfire causing spires of ice to break the wolf in half.

“That was so amazing!” Smith exclaimed as he and the Lieutenant walked forward. “That was like something out of an action movie.” He took out his note book and started to write down what he saw.

“This beast was a worthy adversary.” Marshall stated as he looked at the remains of the wolf. “Capture Level 4 or 5 as a pack and a Capture Level 6 or 7 when using that final stand ability.” He then noticed a strange looking fruit. It was pulsing with a green light. He picking it up and noticed that the fruit looked like an apple. He bit into the fruit only for his taste buds to be assaulted by the foulest flavor to ever exist. “GAH!” he exclaimed dropping the fruit spitting the piece he had bit out of the fruit. “This creature is rotten to the core.” He noticed the apple on the ground was no longer glowing.

“It would seem that you have broken the wild magic that makes up a Timber Wolf.” Stalwart Light said as she watched the core and remains of the wolf rapidly decompose.

“Good news is that when they die, their bodies become premium compost.” Smith stated after he used some analysis tools to check the once fearsome creature. The group then proceeded farther into the swamp. It was well past evening when the trio set up camp near a large body of water. Within an hour a fire pit and metal grilling grate was burning between the group. On the grill were some shishkabobs.

“You told the princess that the creature was a Capture Level 8 or greater.” Stalwart Light said as she bit into her veggie kabob. “What makes you so certain of that?”

“The beast made a hydra flee from the swamp.” Marshall stated as he ate his meat kabob. “Ancient myths that surround them say that they can regenerate. The myths also say that hydras have a venomous bite.” He took another bite, “Those myths alone for me class a hydra as a Level 7 or more.”

“I can’t help but notice that this place seems a little desolate.” Smith said with a shiver. Their campsite had little to no vegetation and the ground looked like cracked rock.

“That’s because we are in the heart of its territory.” Marshall said finishing off his kabob. While he was speaking a shadow was moving in the water. “The creature has eaten all the food it can near its home and is slowly working its way outward.” Marshall looked back at the water from the corner of his eye. “It can sense me presence and it is not amused.” The shadow had gotten near the shore and erupted out of the water causing the trio to back away.

“Oh my Celestia, it is a hydra!” Stalwart Light exclaimed as she backed away with Smith. The retile had four snake-like heads that connected to a heavy looking torso. It had two massive tree-like legs and a long spiked tail. The mighty beast gave a roar before collapsing dead. “It’s dead?” Stalwart Light asked as she and Smith walked closer to Marshall. “How is it dead?”

“That should answer your question.” Marshall stated as he pointed at the chest of the hydra. A large wound was seen in its chest. A large bite mark seemed to encompass the whole way across. “This juvenile was hunted by the beast we are after. Note how its heart is missing, that’s the only reason why it’s not regenerating.” Suddenly the corpse was dragged into the water before another large creature lunged out of the water right at Marshall. He dodged by the barest millimeter and the creature dug a trench in the ground as it skidded to a stop and turn to face Marshall. The full moon soon came out from behind cloud cover to reveal the monster. The creature looked like a crocodile made of rock. The reptile was 20 meters in length and 6 meters tall. Its stone hide looked like it was made of polished stone.

“That is a Cragadile!” Stalwart Light shouted and cast a shield spell around Smith and herself.

“Correction,” Marshall growled, “It is a 1000 Year Old Cragadile, Capture Level 9.” The cragadile then lunged toward Marshall again who dodged once more only to have the reptile turn around as slam its tail into him. Marshall went flying through some trees. “Damn that hurt,” Marshall growled as he stood up and tossed the rubble off of him. “Let’s see how you handle this,” Marshall growled as his fists ignited and feet froze. “300 Degree Hot Press!” his fist connected with the side of the reptiles neck and caused it to glow red for a moment before he kicked its neck, “-300 Degree Cold Press!” The reptile was thrown a few meters away when the spot that was hit exploded with thermal shock, it stone hide cracked. The Cragadile charged forward again and swiped its head around knocking Marshall around. ‘This is reminding me of that fight Toriko had with the Galala Crocodile.’ Marshall thought as he winced in pain. He looked over at his companions and saw their worried looks. ‘I have to beat this thing before it can do any harm to them.’ Suddenly The Butcher appeared in his vision showing him the skeleton of a crocodile and showed him the damage he already done. “Cragadile,” Marshall shouted as he stood taller, “You have shown yourself to be a mighty beast. You are indeed a worthy foe and for that I shall show you the tools of humanity.” His muscles suddenly tensed up as power surged through him. “GRRAAAARRRRGGH!” In the Cragadile’s view point the little ape before him was suddenly replace by a massive monster that looked like it was ripped from the night sky. The ground beneath itself was replaced by a wooden cutting board. The monster before it held in its left and right hands a hook and cleaver respectively.

“GRRRAAHISSSSS!” the Cragadile gave a defiant bellow before charging again.

“To the world that has bestowed it bounty upon us, we give thanks. Itadakimasu.” Marshall stated as he clapped his hands together and closed his eyes. *Shing* *Clink* He snapped his eyes open as he sidestepped the charging behemoth. “HOOK!” Marshall shouted as he caught his opponent with his left hand and twisted him so he could get a clean hit on the damaged part of its hide. “CLEAVER!” he brought his right hand down on the Cragadile’s neck and decapitated the might reptile.

“Such power,” Stalwart light gasped as the head rolled across the ground.

“This is the might of a Gourmet Hunter.” Smith said astonished and unknowingly finishing Stalwart Light’s sentence.

“Hey Smith,” Marshall exclaimed with a smirk, “Before we sample this mighty beast, how about we get a portion of this in a Gourmet Case or else I might eat it all.” Within a few moments three Gourmet Cases had been filled and the rest of the beast was roasting over the camp fire. “Oh wow,” Marshall said excitedly as he drooled while smelling the meat cooking. “That smells like some premium Surf and Turf. It’s taking all my will power not to eat it before it is fully cooked.”

“If it is anything like Galala Crocodile,” smith stated as he rotated the meat over the fire pit. “It should be done by now.”

“Look at those glistening juices,” Marshall said as he looked at the piece of meat he carved off. “Itadakimasu.” Marshall said before he took a bite out of the meat. His taste buds were graced with heavenly flavor. “Yummy!” Marshall cheered as he rapidly finished the piece he held. “The taste is perfectly balanced between high end lobster and sirloin steak.” He sliced off a bigger piece of meat, “In spite of the age of the animal, the meat is tender and almost melts in your mouth.”

“This is so good.” Smith said as he ate some of the meat.

“Even though I prefer a nice salad,” Stalwart Light said with sparkles in her eyes, “This however is something I would not mind adding to my diet.”

“Glad to hear you say that … Celestia.” Marshall stated as a look of surprise appeared on the Mare’s face.

“How long have you known?” She asked as she dropped her illusion.

“The whole time, princess,” Marshall said with a smirk, “As any predator would tell you, the nose knows.” He chuckled and then asked, “Have I passed your test?”

“You have and I think it would be most beneficial for both our nations to open trade.” She said as she enjoyed her meal.

“In that case…” Marshall said as he grabbed the spit and took it over to himself and began eating right off of it.

“HEY!” Celestia and Smith shouted in rage as they tried to get the spit away from Marshall.

Three weeks later a news report was seen on several televisions across the nations of the IGO. The reporter sitting at the news anchors desk was a brown haired woman wearing a pink business woman’s outfit. “This is Tina from Gourmet News bringing you a fresh and fantastic new scoop.” The woman stated with excitement. She held her hand up as the image of Equestria followed by Marshall, the Shrimpanzees, Veggie Rodents, Timber Wolves and Cragadile appeared on the screen. “A new nation has started negotiations with the IGO to establish trade routes between the two governments. Rookie Gourmet Hunter Marshall has discovered 4 new ingredients with the cream of the crop being the fearsome Cragadile.” She shivered a little as she saw the reptile on her teleprompter. “The Cragadile’s meat is already edging out the Galala Crocodile for the most sought after meat on the market. Keep watching Gourmet News for more heaping helpings of the latest scoops.”