• Published 14th Jun 2019
  • 433 Views, 17 Comments

From Oaths to Vows - Partizanne



Many ponies believe that Tirek was only a story, the last of his kind. They're wrong. There is only two centaurs left, trapped right next to each other in Tartarus. If his magic is the cost of freedom, he's willing to sacrifice it to Tirek.

  • ...
1
 17
 433

Loved for Your Lies or Free and Alone?

Asmund stared at the hourglass with contempt, the last of the sand spilling from the top to the bottom. Six hours and Tirek still hadn't returned, he had never actually stayed out past the arranged time before. This set Asmund on edge. Should I wait for a bit?

Considering his options shortly, Asmund decided it would be best to stick to the arrangement. If Tirek was captured, then you would at least be free to exact your own plan. However, there was a problem. Since he held most of Tirek's magic, he now faced the same issue he had confronted Tirek about. His cloak wouldn't fit so well now, and even though he consisted of mostly dark colors, he knew it would be best to stay hidden. Taking his cloak and throwing it over his blue fur, his black hide already made for nighttime stealth, he grabbed the hour glass and made for the caves exit.

Las Pegasus was a few days away, and he needed to make as much ground as he could since he could only travel under cover of darkness. The sooner he got there, the sooner he could steal some food and prepare for Tirek's return. If he returns that is...

Asmund shook the thought from his head as he left the cave. Having spent so much time with Tirek, he couldn't help but feel uneasy without him around. Asmund pulled out and looked down at a small rusty compass, one of the few things he still had from when he had first came to Equestria, and by extension, when he was banished to Tartarus. A momento from his family with an engraving on the back. May you always find what your looking for.

Asmund felt his hate well up inside him, memories of his imprisonment, his long dead family, igniting with intense heat. Asmund had always tried to give people the benefit of the doubt, but being jailed for the simple fact that he was a centaur? His grip on the compass tightened.

He took a deep breath before looking back down at the compass, Las Pegasus would be directly North-East from here. Besides, my time will come soon enough.

He lined himself up with the compass and started walking, the moon his only source of light.


"...Help me to grow strong and be rewarded with something far greater than friendship." Tirek's chains rattled as he clenched his fists. "Freedom." His eyes glowed a sinister yellow and Discord was taken aback.

"Once I've stripped these ponies of their magic, nothing would bring me greater pleasure than to see their world turned upside down. Who better to do so than the 'Master of Chaos' himself?" Tirek gave a slight bow to Discord as a false show of respect. Discord raised his talon to his chin, was he really going to throw away his friendships for a chance to be who he once was?

"Join me Discord," Tirek pulled him from his thoughts. "And reclaim your greatness. Unless of course, 'Pony Errand Boy' is the role you've always wanted to play in this world." Discord looked over as a dresser with a Discord lamp and framed photo of him and Fluttershy poofed into existence.

The more he thought of it, the more the big picture became clear. Most of his so called friends weren't his friends at all, they simply tolerate his existence. The only pony who could be considered a friend was Fluttershy, but is she really his friend? He's had to change who he was just to be friends with her, surely a true friend would accept him the way he once was. Some one like... Tirek.

Tirek wanted Discord to be chaotic, he wanted Discord to be the real him. Maybe... Just maybe...

"Alright Tirek, you have a deal." Discord extended his hand which Tirek grasped and shook, a small orb of orange magic glowing between Tirek's horns.

"So what'll be our plan?" Discord said, unaware of the orb which had by then disappeared.

"I already have a plan, but before I can explain, we must collect my associate,"

"Associate?"

"I will introduce the two of you when the time is right, but for now just know that he has been very gracious to me. I expect you treat him the same." And with that Discord snapped his fingers as the two disappeared.


With the power of Discord now on their side now on their side, Tirek and Asmund could now move on to the second phase of their plan. However, they hadn't realized just how quickly their enemies had found out of Discord's betrayal. However, their newest ally was making decisions that one centaur did not approve of. For example...


"I cannot believe this! We had a whole plan, it was fool proof! Then this bastard had to go and mess it up!" Asmund jabbed a finger at Discord accusingly.

"Aww, is that anyway to treat a new friend?" Discord said, fluttering his eyes in innocence.

"You are most certainly not my friend! You little-" Tirek covered Asmund's mouth easily now that he possessed all the magic Asmund held for him.

"This is my plan Asmund, I can change it as I please whenever I please." Asmund pulled at Tirek's finger, attempting to speak through the large hand. Tirek eventually took pity on Asmund and simply removed it for him. Asmund crossed his arms and closed his eyes, taking a moment before speaking up.

"Tirek, I need to have a serious descussion with you. Alone." His looked over at Discord, who made no motion lo leave as he drank the glass from around a cylinder of chocolate milk.

"Discord," Tirek spoke, which drew the draconequus' attention. "I need a moment alone to speak with my associate."

"Of course!" Discord threw the glass behind him, causing a small explosion upon impact. "I'll make myself scarce." And with that, he disappeared in a flash of light.

"I'm going to kill him..." Asmund said quietly, before quickly getting louder. "I'M GOING TO FUCKING KILL HIM!!!"Asmund said as he threw his arms in the air in rage.

"You said it yourself, we needed someone powerful on our side. Someone like Sombra or Discord." Tirek said, trying to be the voice of reason.

"Well I was hoping for Sombra! Discord is the most insufferable egotistical person I have ever met!"

"We need him, you know that. Yes, he drew attention to us by capturing large numbers of ponies all at once, but he also gave me large amounts of magic." Tirek raise one arm and flexed as he kissed it in adoration, causing Asmund cheeks briefly turn purple. "We don't need to be careful anymore.

"Listen Tirek, I know Discord means well," Asmund said calmly. "And true, we no longer have the same limitations we once did thanks to his unique powers, but I waNT TO PUNCH HIM IN THE FUCKING FACE!!!"

"Why do I try with you, you only look out for you own self interest." Tirek said as he gave Asmund a dismissive wave and began to walk away from him. Asmund however refused to be dismissed in such a manner, having to trot to keep up with the larger centaur.

"Believe it or not, I actually care about you. Your the only person I had to speak with back in Tartarus, and I'd like to think of you as a friend."

"Friend?" Tirek stopped in his tracks, which let Asmund move in front of him.

"Are you seriously telling me that after everything we've been through, you don't think of us as anything more than acquaintances?"

"Why would I consider you a friend?"

"Oh gee, fifteen hundred years spent together? Hours upon hours spent talking to each other, planning the revenge we'd take on those who wronged us? Any of this ring a bell?" Asmund said as his made circles in the air with his finger.

"The time we were together was due to circumstances beyond our control. I hardly call that a friendship." Tirek pushed Asmund away, continuing down that cave. Asmund stared after him, hurt but not surprised. Tirek never seemed like the kind to make friends, but that didn't stop the stinging he felt.

"Fine, so we aren't friends. Just tell me when we're ready to attack Canterlot." Asmund turn away from the other centaur, walking back to the far end silently.

Tirek let out a disappointing sigh, a weight appearing in his chest. Another emotion he hated to admit was there, guilt. Another byproduct of their time in Tartarus for sure. Tirek recalled how Asmund would always ask how he was doing, somehow being able to pick up on how he felt. He actually asked Asmund how he always knew how he felt at one point, and the answer was very strange.

It's your eyes. If you ever want to know how people truly feel, just look in their eyes.

The weight in his chest wasn't leaving anytime soon, so he figure he may as well humor the young centaur. Well younger centaur, with Asmund at one thousand six hundred seventy-six years old and Tirek at one thousand eight hundred and eight years, they were both pretty old at that point.

"I'm sorry Asmund." Tirek said without much effort. "After all that time, I admit that we have a relationship that extends past just acquaintances."

"Well... apology accepted." Asmund said simply. "Now go do whatever with that bastard." Tirek snorted, he didn't like the tone Asmund took with him but he had to admire his bravery.

"We'll be back soon enough, then we go after the princesses." Amund felt a small spark of excitement at that, a moment he had patiently waited for so long was finally coming around. The sound of Tirek's heavy steps echo through the cave as Asmund lays down. The time was at hand.