• Published 10th Aug 2012
  • 1,915 Views, 34 Comments

Secrets of the Rainbow - HappySalesman



Everypony has Secrets, regrets. So what could the fastest pegasus in Equestria be hiding?

  • ...
11
 34
 1,915

Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

Bzzt bzzt bzzt.

Rainbow Dash groaned as her alarm clock buzzed incessantly on her nightstand. Not bothering to open her eyes, she reached over and smacked the top of the clock with one hoof. The buzzing now gone, Rainbow Dash pulled the covers back over her body and fell back asleep. That didn’t last long however, as she was again interrupted by the soft whump whump of her pet turtle’s ‘back-copter’, as she had named it.

Softly, Tank alighted on Dash’s side and slowly nudged her in the ribs.

“Nngh? Oh, mornin’ Tank. I guess you’re hungry huh?” Tank gave a slow nod in reply before taking off and floating his way towards the kitchen. Sitting up, the cyan Pegasus gave a large stretch, enjoying the feeling of the bones popping in her wings. Making her way into the kitchen, she retrieved Tank’s food bowl and poured some food from the box, trying to ignore the advertisement on the front of the box ‘Made with real insects! Nothing better for a turtle!’

“Blech, bugs? You guys eat the weirdest things.”

Setting the box down, Rainbow Dash walked over to the window and opened it, letting the spring air flow inside. Resting her elbows on the sill, Dash stared out at the small speck in the sky that was Cloudsdale. Somewhere up there, the Wonderbolts were practicing.

Dash shook her head, ‘No sense dwelling on that.’ Leaving the window, Dash walked down the hallway and into the bathroom, intent on a hot shower to fully wake her up. After that, and a light breakfast, Rainbow Dash was outside her front door, stopwatch in hoof, ready to see if she could beat her previous time from her home to the weather office.

Tensing every muscle of her body, she clicked the “start” button on the stopwatch, and took off like a rocket. Dash felt a grin spread across her features as her speed picked up and the world began to blur around her. Risking a glance at her stopwatch, she saw that she was a half a second behind from yesterday. She pushed her wings harder, trying to eke out as much speed as she could. Unbidden, a memory surfaced in her mind, from her first day of flight school.

“I’m gonna be the best flier in Equestria! The Wonderbolts HAVE to let me join!”

“Haha, you have to prove yourself first, kid. They won’t let just anypony in.”

Dash shook her head in an attempt clear her mind, which turned out to be a mistake, as the jerking motion sent her spiraling off to the right, straight for a copse of trees.

“Woah woah woah woah!” Dash righted herself and pulled up, trying to clear to cluster of impending doom and pain that sat on the ground. Unfortunately, she clipped the top of the nearest tree, which sent her tumbling straight down into the center of the small wood. Dash tucked her wings in, hoping to avoid a repeat of the day she broke it and had to spend days cooped up in a hospital. Admittedly, she did discover Daring Doo that way, but she’d rather eat the book than lose the ability to fly. Being hauled up and down to her home in the clouds by Fluttershy was a bit humiliating for the Young Flier champion. But, she didn’t have long to think on that as a very large, thick branch suddenly appeared in front of her. Despite her forelegs and hooves covering her head, they did little to stop her from losing consciousness.

“Hey! Rainbow Crash! Come here, I’ve got somethin’ to show ya!”

I grumbled, trying to resist the urge to buck whoever called me that off the nearest cloud. I turned to see who it was when-

SPLAT!

A cloud-ball, mixed with a little bit of rainbow to make sure it was nice and sticky hit me dead on in the face. Wiping the goop off, I looked down the street and saw that it was Cloud Chaser, with a malevolent grin on his face, and another cloud-ball in his hoof.

“Colt Chaser! I’m going to murder you!” I yelled, using my favorite nickname for him. Taking off, I powered my wings as hard as I could and shot at him like a bullet. Cloud barely had any time to react before I smacked into him and began picking up as much cloud as I could carry in my hooves and stuffing it in his face.

“Hey, missy, you alright?”

Dash blinked and opened her eyes. Then immediately shut them. Somehow, the world had been turned upside down during her period of unconsciousness.

“Hey now, don’t pass out on me again.”

Slowly this time, Dash opened her eyes and realized that the world hadn’t turned upside down, she had somehow managed to get one hoof trapped in a web of branches in her fall, so she was dangling upside down.

“Want me to get you down from there?”

Dash looked around before finally settling on the source of the voice. An older earth pony stood there, a short ladder and a small pair of shears at his hooves. Dash wriggled around, trying to free her trapped leg, but to no avail.

“Yeah, sure.”

With that, the earth pony set up the ladder and got to work, and within a matter of moments, Dash’s leg slipped free and she completed her fall by dropping the last few feet onto her head.

“Ow,” she groaned, rolling over and gingerly putting her hooves underneath her.

“Sorry about that missy, didn’t mean ta drop ya on your head.”

Dash shakily stood up, desperately hoping that she hadn’t become so disoriented in her crash she couldn’t even walk anymore. Happily, she noted that her legs seemed to be working fine as well as the rest of her body.

“Oh it’s alright mister, I’m fine really.” To prove her point, Dash took a step forward, and promptly fell flat on her face. “Okay,” she admitted, “maybe not.”

“Here,” the earth pony said, walking up next to her, “Let me help you get to town.”

Dash inwardly cringed, she hated accepting help. But she knew that if she didn’t, she’d be stuck there for hours as her body recovered, and she couldn’t afford to be late for work again. So, gritting her teeth against her pride, she nodded an agreement.

With that, the earth pony gently pulled her up and wrapped one of her forelegs around his neck. They walked on in silence for a bit, clearing the woods and returning to the main road within a couple of minutes.

“So ah, I don’t mean to pry missy but.. If you don’t mind me asking, who’s Colt Chaser?”

Rainbow Dash started, “What? How did you…?”

“You muttered it a couple of times while you were unconscious. Was she a filly friend of yours?”

“Uh.. Yeah.”

“Haha, I bet with a name like Colt Chaser you two fought over coltfriends all the time, right?”

“Uh, yeah.. Hey mister, thanks for the help, but I think I can take it from here.”

“Hm? Oh, alright then. Just be careful from now on.”

Dash nodded, and gingerly took off, taking a moment to relish in the fact that her wings worked without any trouble. Within moments, she was nearly back to her old self, flying at a speed that was just a hair under what would be considered reckless. In no time at all, she was at the front door to the weather office, mentally checking herself to make sure she worked well enough to do her job.

The bell over the door tinkled as Dash pushed it open, and she interrupted the silence with her usual yell, “Hey! Thunder! Get off your lazy butt and come give me some work to do!”

A stallion at the end of a row of offices poked his head out of his door, “What? Oh crap.”

Dash frowned, that definitely wasn’t the greeting she had expected. “Oh crap? I know I was late, but I’m not that late!”

Thunder sighed and rubbed his face with his hoof, “It’s not that. There was a mistake on the schedule Dash. You… didn’t have to work today.”

Rainbow Dash blinked, “So… I have the whole day off?”

Thunder nodded, “Yeah, I’ve already got a team outside working on the midafternoon shower we’re scheduled for. You’re free to go.”

Dash’s face was quickly consumed by a giant grin, “Awesome! See ya later Thunder!” With that, she took off out the door, leaving a trail of fluttering papers in her wake.

Back outside, Dash cruised around Ponyville, searching for a spot to relax on that would keep her away from the shower Thunder had mentioned. After a few minutes, she spotted one near the library.

‘Perfect!’ She thought, ‘If anyplace in Ponyville would be quiet, it’s here.’

Landing on the cloud, she pushed some of it towards one end so she could recline against it and watch the rest of the town go about its business. However, she found her gaze drifting upwards, towards Cloudsdale. Forcefully, she averted her gaze back down to Ponyville, but after a few moments, her eyes were tracking upwards to the sky.

“Prove myself?” I laughed, “I told you. I’m Rainbow Dash, the greatest flier in Equestria!”

“Oh yeah?” The light green colt said with a smirk, “Let me see what you can do then.”

Powering up my wings, I pointed myself in a direction that was mostly clear of obstacles and took off, only fumbling for a moment as I struggled to maintain stability. I grinned as I looked down and saw the shocked faces of the other fillies and colts as I rocketed past them, and looked up just in time to see the tower of the Dean’s office rushing up to meet me.

Crack!

Groaning, I opened my eyes to find myself flat on my back at the base of the tower I had just crashed into. Around me, a small crowd of pegasi were gathered, a number of smirks on their faces.

“So much for the greatest flier, huh Rainbow Dash? Sounds to me like you should’ve been named Rainbow Crash!” Laughing, he trotted away with a handful of ponies.

Sighing, Rainbow Dash rolled over, hoping that changing her view would change her thoughts, but all there was on the other side of the cloud was a young couple sitting outside the library, reading a book together.

“Urgh,” Dash groaned, almost wishing Thunder had given her some work to do, so she could take her mind off of… this.

“Dammit Colt Chaser,” she cursed, using her favorite nickname for him, “why do you always do this to me? Just get out of my head.”

Just then, a shriek emanated from below her. Adrenaline shot into her veins, and Rainbow Dash jumped up, wings at the ready to rocket to the rescue of whoever was the source of the noise. However, she looked down to find it was only the couple she had spied moments before, now engaged in some sort of tickling match.

“I can’t take any more of this,” she muttered, turning around and flapping back towards her house.

“Hey! Rainbow Dash!”

Dash glanced around and saw Pinkie Pie bouncing along the road below her. Dash wasn’t in the mood, but she knew better than to try and outrun her. Slowly lowering herself, she hovered just a few feet above Pinkie.

“What is it?”

“I had a great idea earlier for a prank we could pull on Twilight! Wanna try?”

Dash shook her head, “Sorry Pinkie, but I’m not really in the mood.”

Pinkie blinked, “What? But, you always want to do pranks!”

“I know, but… not today. Okay?”

Pinkie’s expression drooped, “Alright. Oh! Maybe Spike will help me!” With that, she was gone in a blur of pink.

Arriving at her home, Dash walked inside and was greeted with the soft whump whump of Tank’s back-copter.

“Hey Tank,” she said, “Work was cancelled, some scheduling error or something.” Tank cocked his head to one side, to which Dash shrugged in response. “I don’t know, I just didn’t feel much like practicing today. Though I still feel pretty tired, I think I’m just gonna take a nap or something.” With that, she walked into her room and shut the door with a resounding click.

---

Dash groaned as the incessant buzzing of her alarm clock rudely pulled her from her sleep. She agitatedly reached over and smacked her clock with a hoof, causing a crack to appear in the display. “Oh come on,” she moaned, before angrily throwing her sheets off her body. She picked up the clock and inspected it, sighing as several odd characters appeared on the display, before it gave a sharp pop and the whole thing shut down. Clearly, more than just the display had been damaged.

“Maybe Twilight or Rarity can fix this,” She muttered, before setting the ruined clock down on her nightstand. Just then, a slow, rhythmic tapping came from her door. “I’m up Tank, I’m up,” she called, rolling out of bed. She staggered down the hallway, trying to walk and stretch the sleep out of her limbs at the same time. Upon reaching the kitchen, she pulled down Tank’s bowl and filled it with food. “Eat up little guy, I need to get ready for work.”

Dash paused at the mention of ‘work’. She looked at her calendar, then growled in frustration as she realized what day it was.

“Today was my day off! Augh!” Dash slammed her hoof against the table, causing Tank to jump. Well, jump as much as a startled turtle can.

“Sorry Tank,” she grumbled, making her way down the hallway to the bathroom. She turned the shower on and sat down, waiting for the water to heat up.

“Oi! Gilda! Wake up! We’re gonna be late!” I urgently pounded my hoof on the door to Gilda’s dorm. The door suddenly opened mid-knock, and I accidentally whacked her on the head.

“Celestia’s horn Dash!” She cursed, gingerly touching the spot where I had hit her.

“Sorry!” I said, lowering my hoof, “but come on! Practice starts in 10 minutes!”

Gilda frowned, her eyes narrowing on my face. “What are you talking about?”

I blinked. “uh... Practice? You know, that thing we do five days a week? Where we fly around, Coach yells at us, and...” I paused for a moment as an idea popped in my head. I grinned mischeviously at Gilda, “and you miss nearly every throw sent your way?”

Gilda’s expression flattened, “I do not miss every throw! Take it back squirt!”

I continued to grin, “or what?”

“Take it back, or I stuff you in one of the balls and we’ll see how well it flies with the crashiest pegasus ever known in it.”

My eyes widened for a moment, then narrowed to slits as I glared at Gilda. With a yell, I dove forward and tackled her back into her room, where I dove on the bed and picked up her pillow and began ruthlessly hitting her with it.

“Take this!” I yelled through the pillow, trying to aim for any unprotected spot. Up until she dove on top of me and ripped the pillow out of my teeth.

“Take it back,” she said.

“Never!” I replied, sticking my tongue out.

“Take it back, or I beat you to a pulp,” she lifted the pillow threateningly, ignoring the fact that a handful of feather were falling out of a small tear.

“Your pillow,” I responded with a smirk.

She paused, then decided she could do without a pillow if it meant landing a few choice hits on me. But before she could swing, a loud knock came at the door.

I blinked, “Who the hay could that be?” Gilda shrugged and, with the pillow still in her hand, she opened the door. Immediately, my smile vanished and an angry knot formed in my stomach as I saw who it was.

Cloud Chaser.

“Hey, I hate to bo- Woah,” he said, noticing me sitting on the bed, he glanced between Gilda and I a few times before giving a smirk, “Sorry, I didn’t realize I was interrupting.”

My mouth dropped open, “it’s not-!” Cloud interrupted me with a raised hoof.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. Everypony has their preference. You might want to keep it down, if you aren’t careful, the whole school could find out.” His smirk grew with his final words, before snickering and walking away.

I groaned and buried my face in my hooves, “I’m dead!” I wailed, “It’s not even the second week of training camp and I’m dead!”

“You worry too much Dash,” Gilda said, sitting next to me on the bed, “Nothing’s gonna come of it, who would believe him anyway? Now, why did you come banging on my door at 6 am?”

My eyes shot open, ‘Practice!’

My mouth began running at a million miles a minute “Oh no, we’re late, we’re gonna be in so much trouble! What if w- Wait, why was Cloud Chaser still here? He should have been at practice... Oh.” I groaned, “it’s Saturday, isn’t it?”

Gilda nodded and I let out another groan. “I am the dumbest pegasus to ever walk these halls.”

Dash sighed and stepped out of the shower, toweling herself off before heading back into the kitchen. There she stood in front of the pantry, forcing herself to think about food, and not the view from her window. Before should could decide, a soft knock came at her front door.

“Rainbow Dash?”

“Coming!” She called out, walking towards the door. “Yea- Oh hey Fluttershy.”

“I’m not interrupting, am I?”

Dash shook her head, “Nah, I was just thinking about breakfast. What’s up?”

“Well, you wanted me to watch your new routine, remember?”

Dash blinked, “Oh yeah! Sorry, I’ve had a lot on my mind and I completely forgot.”

“Oh that’s okay. Is there anything I can help with?”

“Not unless you build a time machine,” Dash muttered, risking a glance at Cloudsdale.

“What?”

“Huh? Oh, nothing. Um, look I’m really sorry, I’m just not feeling up to it today. Another time?”

Fluttershy frowned, “Are you sure? I’ve never seen you miss a practice before.”

Dash nodded, “Yeah I’m just not feeling well. I’ll make up for it tomorrow.”

Still frowning, Fluttershy nodded and left, leaving Dash to trudge back into the kitchen to eat. Upon arrival she found Tank perched on the counter, staring at her.

“Don’t give me that look,” she said, “I just don’t feel up to it today.”

Tanks head lowered in response.

“Oh come on,” she said, slightly exasperated, “I got woken up early on my day off! I’m allowed to be a little upset about it!”

In response, Tank activated his back-copter and flew down the hallway to do whatever it was he did when she wasn’t around.

Dash sighed in annoyance and stalked down the hallway, thoughts of breakfast now replaced with a focus on getting out of the house.

“Should probably go see Twilight about that clock.”

Author's Note:

Holy cow! An update! Granted it's to an already existing chapter but still!