• Published 7th May 2019
  • 1,220 Views, 25 Comments

My Little Pony : Megan's Awakening. - Forgetful



Megan Williams is just a normal girl setting forth on an extraordinary adventure.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,220

The Light

The night sky was clear as it ever had been, full of sparkling stars lighting up the sky for miles on end. The wind was chill yet comfortable and the world was full of a calming silence. They say when something terrible happens that everything comes crashing down or that a huge storm will appear and bask the world in rain.

But it's all just a show or simply for theatrics of those around you with prying eyes. The world doesn't stop nor does the sky come crashing down. Honestly nothing changes, the world keeps on spinning and everything continues forward to the next day.

I sat outside under a blanket of stars without so much as a word, sitting in a damp patch of fresh grass deep in the middle of the family farm's pasture. Wearing just my simple pair of pink pajamas with a picture of a pony galloping on the front. My strawberry blonde hair cascading down my lower back messily, I was far too tired to tie it in a ponytail.

My pale turquoise eyes watching the stars glow in the dark as my mind drifted to a place of peace and harmony. A world that was hidden from the pain of reality and love conquered all evil, a small piece of paradise I could call my own.

A fleeting dream in the darkness.

Large loud footsteps could be heard walking up behind me in the dead of the night. The sound of my sister Molly bawling her eyes out in the distance twisting my stomach into knots. The large shadow of my father towering over me blocking out the calming blue light of the moon above, his features hidden in the abyss much like my feelings on the subject at hand.

“Megan, your mother wants to see you.” Father spoke in a slow steady voice that gently began to crack in growing anxiety.

“Don't want to see her.” I spoke with a sense of numbness dripping off my words calmly.

“You don't mean that hon.” He replied as his voice weakened.

“She's given up and chosen to die.” I grabbed a small handful of grass in my hands tightly, squeezing it with all my might as the anger boiled in my veins.

“The doctors couldn't stop this Megan, she just rather pass in comfort…” Father began sobbing in the night.

“She rather pass in fear.” I gave a deep sigh as my gaze lifted high into the sky above, if I wished hard enough I might just fade away.

“If not for her, then do it for me.” Father walked up from behind his towering frame kneeling as he placed a firm hand on my shoulder.

My heart cracking into a thousand splinters but never shattering.


Cirrhosis of the liver turned my vibrant loving mother into a shadow of herself, weekend hikes turned to bedrest and soon I found myself bathing my own mother once she couldn't do it herself anymore.

Danny helped with bathroom duty and Molly always practicing in the kitchen, Father working himself to death to try and find new treatments. Only to have my mother give up halfway through submitting herself to this horrible existence and waiting for the end to come.

I walked into her bedroom in silence my eyes glued to the floor with a somber look locked onto my face, I couldn't see my mother like this anymore sunken in, yellowing skin and constantly confused.

“Darling?” She spoke in a raspy tone of voice full of weakness.

“Mm-hmm.” I squeaked softly under my breath.

“Moll...no my little Megan…” She corrected herself with a slow exhale of air.

“...” I let my gaze burn into my bare feet, praying for the moments to pass.

“Your father bless his heart, he's worried sick about what's to come.” Mother patted the side of her bed gently with a frail sickly hand.

I took a few steps forward never looking upward to face my mother eye to eye.

“Danny is to watch you all after I'm gone...but…” She gave a painful inhale of air before reaching out to her side.

A bony shaking hand grasping my own firmly as my heart sank deep inside my chest, my own breathing becoming heavier and panicked.

“But you...I need you to watch over Molly... sisterhood is a bond unlike anything in this world.” Mother squeezed my hand tenderly with a loving warmth.

“She'll look to you for guidance and support...protect her...never give up on her…” Mother released my hand swiftly, her trembling arm lowering under her bed frame weakly grabbing a tiny box covered in pink wrapping paper.

“For you...when you need to see...The Light…” She lifted the box towards me slowly my eyes gazing away from the gift in utter shame.

“I love you...Meg…” She gave a weakened sigh.

My eyes quickly dashed to the large open window of the room my whole body numb and full of regret, tears welling up in my eyes wildly as the words in my throat became caught unable to be spoken freely.

“I love…” The sound of her gift falling to the floor with a thud shattering my world into pieces.

Everything became silent and cold as the vibrations of people rushing in behind me filled my soul with pain, I could just curl up in a small ball on the floor under the window. Crystalline tears stinging my cheeks as they cascaded down my face in large streams of fear, my whole world sinking into a dark pit of no escape.

I hugged myself under the pale moonlight praying to feel her warm hug just once more yet only felt the icy chill of death on this night. Father and neighbors rushing inside to try and save her but it was only her body left on that bed, the beauty that was her soul no longer with us.

I was alone...

I was in the dark…

I was broken.