• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 1,027 Views, 37 Comments

Operation: APPLECRACK - Redd Herring



Strange magical disturbances are haunting Equestria, and Twilight gets help from an unexpected pony.

  • ...
1
 37
 1,027

A Helpful Suggestion

When the two of them got back to town, they convened in Trixie's caravan since it was simply the closest place. The inside was small but comfortably and stylishly decorated with lots of hanging beads, lavish cushions, arcane crystals and gemstones, and gently-spinning thaumic instruments arranged all over. There seemed to be a spell in place on the caravan itself which prevented any outside noise from getting in, since even though it was set up on the edge of the busy Ponyville town square, the only sound that could be heard was that of running water and a soft, rhythmic clacking from a decorative bamboo deer-scare in the middle of the room. The effect was not unlike that of a fortune-teller's hut, and the pervasive but pleasant floral scent made it a surprisingly comfortable place to be.

Trixie entered roughly, clearly worn out from so much running. She hung her star-spangled hat and coat near the door and immediately flopped down on an enormous, luxurious beanbag-like cushion near the wall that seemed to serve as her bed. She rolled around on her back for a bit, enjoying it, while Twilight curiously looked around at her fellow mage's travelling abode. She was just beginning to consider asking if she could borrow some of the arcane tomes in Trixie's small bookcase when the magician finally spoke.

"Those instruments were expensive, you know."

Twilight grimaced; she had been hoping that Trixie would just let it slide.

"You're the direct pupil of Cel-esss-tia herself," said Trixie in a mocking, sing-song voice, "so I don't want to hear any excuses. I'll be sending along the bill later."

She flopped her head backwards again, closing her eyes and spinning a pair of meditation balls in midair.

"W-Well, I'm sorry about your instruments... but we should be focusing on the situation at hand! What are we going to do about that... that monster?"

"Ohhh, I don't know. The thing pushes away Myr quite powerfully, so I doubt either Trixie's magic or yours would be of any help. Unless you want to just fling rocks at it all day."

"That's just it! It can't be a magical artifact. It pushes away all the Myr in the area, and I wasn't detecting any with the instruments, either. It was something else... I can't put my hoof on it, but I could definitely detect something. It was like it was turning on and off, over and over, really quickly...? Argh, I don't get it!"

"Ah, yes. I noticed as much when I was making a graph of the readings."

"Oh really? Do you still have it?

"It's just about all I DO have from that debacle, yes. Heeere you go..." she said, floating the paper out of the saddlebags near the door and smacking Twilight gently in the face with it, clearly disinterested.

"Ah, thank you!" she said, taking it into her own magical grasp and leveling it in front of her eyes. "Hmm, this is VERY interesting. Looks like there's a pattern here. This requires some SERIOUS study."

"Well, could you do your very intense and verbal contemplation elsewhere? Trixie has a show to put on in less than an hour, and she needs some serious R&R to prepare."

"Wait, you're just going to give up?" Twilight said, becoming desperate. "But I need your help!"

"The show must go on, I'm afraid. And if I want to squeeze any bits out of this Luna-forsaken hole in the ground, I need to do it around lunchtime. Ponies with full mouths tend to empty their wallets more freely."

"What am I going to do? You're the only other pony in town who knows anything about this stuff!"

"Look, Twilight Sparkle. Trixie is grateful to you for your help and all, but it seems that she may not be the great and powerful expert that you need in this situation. Her expertise lies firmly in the magical and amazing, and whatever this thing is, it is decidedly NOT magical. It's something else entirely. You may need to find somepony else to help you."

"But who? If I don't need a magical expert, what kind of expert do I need?"

"Oh, how should I know. An expert in apples, maybe?" Trixie replied sardonically.

"Hmmm... you think so? Maybe... you never know, you just might be right!" Twilight said in an unexpectedly serious manner. "I'll try that, then. Thanks for all your help, Trixie!"

"Eh?" was all Trixie could manage before Twilight ran out of the mystical caravan and off towards the edge of town, leaving the confused magician staring after her.

"Oh, whatever." She laid her head back again, floating a drink over and nestling further into her cushion.