• Published 27th Apr 2019
  • 606 Views, 11 Comments

Breakfast at Celestia's - Voss-Corsair



Entry for the 2019 Equestria at War writing competition about Aquileian volunteers meeting Celestia before they join the Great War against the Changeling invaders.

  • ...
0
 11
 606

Chapter One

The long ride from Manehattan to Canterlot finally came to an end as the train gently halted at the Grand Hub Station. General Voss Corsair, a griffon of the aptly named Griffish Isles was a stranger to this city; his smart blue wool uniform and kepi denoted his allegiance to the Republic of Aquileia, or rather the newly formed Griffonian Republic. Aquileia had been his home for much of his life even through the dark days of the Discret monarchy and its forceful restoration that ended at the guillotine.

The brown coated and off white feathered griffon made one final adjustment to his beloved uniform and exited the train with the throng of fellow griffon volunteers from across the Griffonian continent. This was the first part of an estimated four divisions would be forming to fight against the Changeling invasion that had cut deep into Equestria. The war was now halfway through its second year.

Voss looked around at the suitably grand architecture and glass roof that let in the warm morning sun.

“You'd almost think that nothing like a war going on around here, eh?” commented a northern Griffonian in a uniform Voss couldn't quite identify, “Not a single poster or recruiter hanging around here.”

“Maybe the nobles don't want to be reminded of anything that could threaten their lavish lifestyle.” he chuckled,

A small group of Equestrian officers waited to greet the arriving Griffons. They saluted and the new arrivals responded in kind.

“On behalf of Equestria, we warmly welcome the griffon volunteers of many nations.” said the highest ranking officer, “I am General Rough Shod and these are your new adjutants and liaison officers who will be individually assigned to you.”

“Thank you, General.” Voss smiled, “We are proud to stand by fellow creatures of harmony.”

“I have heard a great deal about the veteran divisions of Aquileia and her allies. Take a moment to meet my officers and then follow me to the castle.”

An auburn unicorn mare with a long mane tied loosely into a tail directed a salute at Voss,

“Good morning, sir. I am First Lieutenant Bookish Ledger, your personal adjutant and guide.”

“A pleasure to meet you and is that a Griffish Isles accent I hear?”

“A little bit, sir. I was born there but mainly grew up in Vanhoover. I see that you have retained your deep and rather 'proper' accent.”

“Indeed. I'm surprised I kept it despite living in Aquileia for so long.”

“Your adoptive nation has done well for itself recently.” Bookish said in the typically understated manner of citizens from the region,

“It was a bit of a bother, but we cast down the wretched Discret monarchy.” Voss replied in kind, “Oh, and the old Empire's capital looks nice with the republican colours flying above it.”

“A shame they were executed. Perhaps they could've learned something about harmony from the Alicorn Sisters.”

“I think the guillotine taught them all that their hollow skulls could handle.” Voss rolled his eyes, “Royal bloodlines are nothing but trouble.”

“Ah, um.” Bookish looked around nervously, “There's the rest of your luggage, sir. I'll carry it to your room at the palace.”

As they exited into a large plaza, a crowd of over a hundred ponies erupted into applause and cheered the new arrivals. Flags made with varying degrees of accuracy were waved by the well-wishers. Some were unwittingly flying the colours of long dead or annexed nations, but the good intentions were there. The griffons waved back and shook a few hooves. Cameras immortalised many of these happy moments. After exchanging more pleasantries with the crowd, the group resumed their walk to the castle. They had a meeting with Princess Celestia herself to attend.

There was pleasant stroll to be had through Canterlot's beautiful streets leading towards the castle. Many griffons marvelled at the buildings; some predated even the Grover Dynasty, but that was to be expected from a nation that has known so little war until now. Voss mulled over his snappy remark at Bookish, but decided to leave her be for now. She seemed to have melted into the background anyway.