• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 742 Views, 37 Comments

The Hero's Children - distortedtruth92



Sequel to The Thunder Twist Chronicle

  • ...
 37
 742

Luna

Luna

Luna paces back and forth in her chambers, face contorted with worry. A week had passed since Lightning Dash’s disappearance, and there was no trace of him. She had seen him fly off during the ceremony, and, according to many, nopony had seen him after that.

“Why must I fail at everything,” she asked herself, eyes brimming with tears. “I promised to myself and to his shade that I would look over his children. I felt that that was the one gift I could give him, and now I’ve failed at that.” She broke into full on sobs. “Just like I failed to get my subjects to love me, Twilight had to help me. Just like I couldn’t escape Discord, Thunder Twist and his friends had to help me. Damn me, why can’t I ever look after myself or those I care about.”

She is interrupted by a knock on her door. “Sister,” her sister’s sweet voice calls through the door, “it’s me. May I come in?”

Luna dries off her tears, “You may enter, Celestia.”

“Oh, so formal,” I white alicorn says as she opens the door. Upon seeing her sisters face she rushes over and gives her a hug. “Oh, sweet sister, I am so sorry. I know how hard this must be on you. I’m always here for you little sister.”

Luna leans on her sister’s shoulder and lets all her tears pour forth. “Why couldn’t I protect him, sister? Am I not one of the rulers of Equestria, one of the most powerful ponies in the history of our nation, second to only you and Thunder.”

“Sister,” Celestia says soothingly, patting her sister on the pack, “not even I can watch over all the ponies of Equestria at once. I’m sure he will turn up.”

A knock comes at the door, “Princess Luna, we have found Lightning Dash or, rather, what’s left of him.”

The two sisters look at each other in complete shock. Luna opens the door and practically yells at the guard, “Take me to him, now.”

The two Princesses follow the Pegasus guard to the edge of the Everfree Forest, where a huge red stain is spread over the grass. In the middle of the stain lies a dead cyan Pegasus with a blue mane. He has been disemboweled as if eaten on, and his eyes have been plucked as if by birds.

Luna looks down at the body with numb eyes. She spent the whole flight over steeling herself against what might be waiting for her. Still, she wasn’t prepared to see one of her best friend’s children eaten up like a piece of raw meat.

She looks over to the guard who led her here. “How long ago did you find him?” her voice sounds oddly calm to her own ears, especially since every essence of her being want to scream out in anguish.

“Right before I came and got you, Princess.”

“Do you have an idea of how long he’s been dead?”

“By my guess, I’d have to say five days.”

“So, assumingly he flew here to get away for a bit, found a Manticore, and they produced what we see here, except for the eyes, probably the work of crows.”

“Yes, my Princess.”

“I’ll take it from here, sir.”

“As you wish, Princess.” He flies off, back toward Canterlot.

The Princess of the Night looks down upon her broken subject. She looks up to her sister, “Leave me please, sister. I wish to be alone.”

Celestia, who had been quite up to this point, nods. “I’ll be in my chambers if you have need of me, little sister.” She, too, flies back to Canterlot.

Luna again looks at the decimated body of Lightning Dash. “I’m sorry, Thunder Twist. I have failed you as I have in so many other endeavors. Can you ever forgive me?”

She gets no reply other than the wind through the trees of the Everfree. She sighs deeply, picks up the body with her magic, and flies back to Canterlot, tears streaming down her face.