• Published 9th Aug 2012
  • 1,941 Views, 59 Comments

The Voices of Nobody - BowtiesandFedoras



I am Nobody. I appeared in this beautiful world by accident, and now I've doomed it in under 5 days.

  • ...
6
 59
 1,941

Chapter 3

Silence. I broke out in a nervous sweat. Then, I heard a chuckle. An attempt was made to try and stifle it, but failed. The chuckle turned into an amused laugh.

I looked up, and the woman was the source of the laughter. She held her hand up to her mouth to try and cover it up.

"Hoo, hoo, buddy! I don't know what yer sayin,' but it sure sounds funny."

Suspicion confirmed: she thought I was a loon.

She held out a hand to me

"C'mon, get up," she said kindly.

I took her hand and got back up to her level. Now from this angle, I could see that she was a very attractive young woman, not much over twenty.

Before I could say something, a shadow quickly passed over us. I looked up and saw a multi-colored speck flying at extremely high (nearly impossible) speeds through the sky, literally punching holes through the clouds until they dissipated into a thin mist and then vanished. The speck stopped and hovered there for a moment, as if admiring its work, and started descending. But more than descending, it was getting closer to us!

From my and its position it was silhouetted against the sun, but I could make out the shape: a human form, distinctly female, and with an enormous pair of feathered wings!

"Look out!" I shouted, "It's a succubus!"

I snapped the girl out of her light laughter. She looked at me, wiping away a laugh-tear, and asked, "Aha, heh... What?"

She looked at where I was pointing behind her and saw what had terrified me so severely and said, "Oh, that ain't no succuh- sucha- ah, whatever. It's just Ra-" She was cut short by the winged creature suddenly hitting the ground near us, rolling and bouncing a few feet, and crashing into a large, wooden wagon toting several bags of seeds. I was torn between snickering at the comedic failure and staying fearful and aware.

The winged creature spoke.

"Owwww... Okay, if anyone asks, I stuck the landing, got it? Ow..."

I finally got a good look at the thing. It -she- was wearing a pair of bronze-colored goggles, which were askew from the crash, a cyan hoodie with a white t-shirt underneath, skinny jeans, and rainbow-striped sneakers. But the most striking feature about her (aside from the obvious blue, feathered wings) was that she had short, medium-length, rainbow-colored hair. The entire ROYGBIV was streaked evenly through her hair. I stood there just staring at her, wondering how such a genetic malfunction was possible. She couldn't have just been born that way, but it looked just so... natural. Before I could ask, she said something.

"Who's this guy?" she asked while taking off her goggles, revealing her violet eyes.

"Oh, he's Nobody," the blonde girl stated before I could answer.

"What kind of name is that?"

"A temporary one..." I defended.

"Pfft... What's with that ridiculous getup?" she asked, not caring enough to try and hide her laughter. It seems my choice of clothing was illiciting an abundance of humorous reactions today.

"It is my ceremonial robe and body paint, thank you very much," I answered spitefully and somewhat offended.

"This feller says he can use magic, even though he doesn't have a horn," the blonde said, half-whispering the last part. She then put her index finger near her temple and whirled it as if to silently say, "He's crazy." Which, again, isn't entirely false.

"I saw that," I scolded, "Wait, who are you people and where am I?" It struck me as odd that I hadn't bothered to ask that question earlier.

"Oh, right. Ah'm Applejack, and this here's Rainbow Dash, and you, uh, already know Big Macintosh."

Applejack? Rainbow Dash? What kind of names are those? "Nobody" makes more sense than that. I'm pretty sure Applejack is the name of a cereal where I come from. Perhaps those are just their nicknames. That makes much more sense.

"No, I meant what are your real names," I restated.

Rainbow Dash raised an eybrow at me and Applejack just looked at me blankly before saying, "Whaddya mean? Those are our real names. Where did you say you were from again?"

"I didn't." Then I remembered something else that caught my attention earlier. "Now, did you say 'horn' earlier? What do you mean 'horn?' Are you saying that there are others like you with horns?"

"Yeah," Rainbow Dash answered, "The magic beings. They have horns. You must be from waaaayyy out of town..."

Although, considering that the woman I was talking to had a gigantic pair of wings, horns seem like a downgrade to me.

"Shoot, you really ain't from around here, are ya? Maybe if we take ya to Twilight, she can help sort things out with you. Besides, Ah gotta return a book to her anyways."

Twilight?

"Although, you should probably fix, uh, this mess before you go," Rainbow Dash suggested, gesturing to my entire body. Which was probably a good idea. I knew I would certainly turn some heads if we had to go through town while I was wearing this.