• Published 13th Dec 2011
  • 1,486 Views, 29 Comments

Silver Bells - mamori86



A strange pony leaves a present for Discord, then begins an ancient holiday tradition.

  • ...
0
 29
 1,486

Chapter 2

Ember strode through the abandoned streets of Ponyville, making his way back to his bakery. He tried to look up at the moon, which still hung high in the night sky. However, a warm, salty sensation in his eyes was beginning to make it difficult.

“Ah, the bells. Even now they’re having an effect. It’s strange, feeling someone else’s feelings.”

The warm glow of the homes lining the streets seemed so lovely, it seemed difficult to think someone within the gentle town of Ponyville would be feeling like this while snug and warm with their friends and family.

"Somewhere you belong," whispered the green eyed pony. "I wonder, is this someplace I could belong?"

He lifted his hoof to the nearest window, though there curtains were pulled. Still, the dull glow through the cloth seemed all too welcoming. A bitter laugh escaped this throat.

"Of course not, of course not."

Continuing towards the bakery, a familiar sound caught the colt’s attention.

“Him. I guess that means it’s finally time.”


Chapter 2:

“Sorry for being rude but… have we met? I don’t always meet ponies in the right order you know.”

The Doctor eyed the tan pony, looking for any traces of hostility. Staring back at him with a smile was Ember. However, those eyes were not ones of cheer, nor sadness, but of a cold rage.

Silence.

The choking stiffness in the room made Colgate fidget.

“D-Doctor, this is Ember, he’s the new baker who just moved in next door and gave us the bell.”

Ember blinked as if coming out of a trance, turning his gaze to Colgate. “Oh yes, yes! Thank you for your help this morning, I wasn’t expecting quite so many customers given the weather, you were a real lifesaver.”

That’s better, Colgate thought to herself. “So, how do you know the Doctor?” she inquired of the baker.

The green-eyed colt laughed. I’m not surprised he doesn’t remember me, I look quite a bit different.”

“I know the feeling,” grinned the Doctor. “It is a bit of a pain having to introduce yourself over and over again. Still, you’ll have to help me out a bit.”

“I’ll give you a hint, dear Doctor. I’m related to someone you left behind.”

The Doctor’s smile disappeared.

“I’m afraid you’ll have to be bit more precise,” he muttered.

“Very well. Doctor, what do you remember about The Darkening?"

The color drained from the Doctor’s face, giving the baker second appraising look. It seemed to Colgate that he wished to ask their question of his own, but instead replied to the posed to him.

“The lights of the stars in the northern sky were disappearing. When I went to investigate, I found something, a creature, a monstrous dragon possessed by a terrible avarice. It consumed all it could in its wake, traveling between stars, devouring all it could, even light, then moving on.”

Ember took a step towards the the Doctor.

“Yes, that dragon. Blacker than anything this planet could muster,” whispered Ember. “You remember asking the spirits of this world to help you stop it. Told them that it was only a matter of time before that behemoth found its way here. So you carried them there in your TARDIS. What happened to them Doctor?”

“They fought, they bled, and many of them fell.”

“Until," Ember interrupted, "with nothing capable of harming the thing, one of the spirits allowed itself to be devoured, trying to get at it from the inside.”

“And he succeeded,” the Doctor spoke. “He saved everything. He was able to survive long enough to turn that thing’s power on itself. Created a couple new stars in the process. Red dwarfs, but suns none the less.”

“And what do you suppose happened to that spirit, what happened to Tempest?”

The Doctor twitched at the name "Tempest."

“…He died. Even if he had survived the venom of that beast, there was no way he could have survived that blast.”

“Oh, but Doctor, I’m afraid he did.” The grin on Ember’s face had ceased to be friendly, and instead have fallen into a malicious smirk.

“What?”

“The way I hear it, he used the energy he diverted to protect himself, at least mostly. But by the time he had awakened, adrift in the void, he found himself abandoned. No friends, no allies, no Doctor. Just endless void and icy stars far beyond his reach.”

“You…you couldn’t be.” The Doctor took a step towards Ember, then another, his eyes searching him with cautious skepticism.

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…”

The tension that had built up in Ember seemed to release somewhat, the look in his eyes just a little bit gentler.

“You need not apologize to me, Doctor.”

Ember pushed towards the TARDIS, placing a hoof upon the white lettering. “It seems, Doctor, that the one who deserves an apology has just now finally returned home. ‘Bad Fox.’”

The TARDIS’ alarms could be heard from within. Ember stepped aside as the Doctor rushed inside.

Colgate peered inside. It was as disorienting as ever, seeing such a large space inside such a small box. In the middle of the room was a large glass cylinder, inside of which was an eerie pale green light. A control panel of various buttons, levers, and cranks surrounded it. Stairs wound their way around the outside to a lower level she never got a clear view of. On one of the monitors of the control station she saw the image of a saucer like vessel.

“No no no no no no no no.” The Doctor pulled levers, flipped switches, and twisted knobs.

“What is that?” Colgate asked the Doctor from the doorway of the TARDIS.

“That,” Ember answered, “is a Dalek ship.”

---------------------

"Bored."

With the moon safely in the sky, Princess Luna had little else on her agenda. Most ponies were already tucked inside, and there was no royal business to attend to. This left her, well, just a bit bored.

Feeling restless, she decided to take a moonlit stroll through the palace gardens. These gardens had been part of her therapy since being released from her imprisonment. Lingering familiar decorations could be found here, but all in a new palace, new garden, surrounded by fresh, new ornaments. It seemed very much like the world around her as a whole. A few remaining familiar traces amongst a world which has shifted and evolved without her for a thousand years.

As much as she hated to admit it, one of the things in the garden she liked most was that old statue of Discord. It, like nothing else, reminded her of the time before her sentence, the time when she was still in step with the world. And there he stood.

Granted, his position had changed a bit. She laughed to herself at the irony of it. One of the few things that had not changed in a thousand years had suddenly changed. Though, in her opinion, it was for the better. This pose was much more, humorous, after all.

“What the hay?”

Something caught her eye. Something round, something shiny, something that she had not seen in a very long time indeed. A silver bell. How long had it been? Not since before Discord had taken advantage of the other spirits’ weakened state had she seen one of these bells. Oh what grand memories! Putting out an orange, waiting up all night to catch a glimpse of that fox. Oh, and that hat, that silly red hat he wore!

“But wait, where did this bell come from? Did Tia put you up there?” she asked the bell. “Hnnn, well that’s an interesting little spell you have there. Empathy charm is it?

Luna levitated just enough to place her hoof to the side of the bell, eyeing it with a precision only a master craftsman could. “But there’s something underneath that charm, how curious you are…”

Luna turned her head in the direction of Ponyville.

“You’re connected to a whole lot more out there it seems. Very well!”

With a flap of her wings, the princess launched herself towards the scattering of bells, intent on discovering who had placed them.

“I’m sure we’ll have a grand discourse,” she beamed.

---------------------

"Tiiing."

“That better not be who I think it is…” Twilight groaned.

Rolling over in her covers, she glanced at the clock. 4:27 am. Who in the world would be messing with that bell at 4:27 in the morning? Only one pony came to mind.

“Ember…”

Another surpsing piecring rings called from beyond the door to the observatory platform.

“Just ignore it Twilight, it’s probably just the wind or--”

"Tiiing."

Stomping towards the observation platform, Twilight threw open the hatch.

“Would you mind keeping it dow… Princess Luna?”

There on the observation platform sat Princess Luna, prodding at the bell with a hoof.

“Excellent! Twilight Sparkle, you are awake. Pray tell, did you hang these bells?”

After convincing the princess to come inside out of the cold, Twilight informed her about the new baker of Ponyville, and of the bell hanging antics that had distracted her earlier that evening, as well as the book she had seen.

“Ah yes,” Luna spoke, her tone carrying a hint of melancholy. “I was still in my youth when that happened. It seems a creature with a rather devastating ability to absorb matter and energy was making its way here, evident as a lack of starlight to the north. Many of the old spirits of the land went off to do battle with it. They were victorious, but at a cost. Several did not return, and those who did were left weak, broken. Something about that creature had eaten away at them."

“That’s horrible,” Twilight whispered.

“Indeed. They were a rather pleasant lot, kept the natural order of things flowing smoothly. But after The Darkening, they just seemed to slip away into the shadows of the land. It was this that let Discord come to power in Equestria.

Without the other spirits to mend things and put Discord in his place, he could simply go on bending the world to his fancy till the springs snapped. Now only a few places remain as they were. Places where the spirits gathered in hiding.

Something dawned on Twilight.

“Like the Everfree Forest?”

“Ah yes, the forest there was refuge for some spirits if I recall. Discord made sure not to touch the forest, lest he rouse any ire. Even he knew not to prod a wounded animal.”

“So… maybe Ember has met one of the spirits! That would explain it.”

“It would,” agreed Luna, “I would very much like to speak with one of the spirits of old. Would it be possible to contact this Ember?”

Twilight placed her hoof upon her chin. “I suppose, as a baker he’s probably already up and baking.”

Turning her head towards the clock, it read 5:07.

“Then let us make haste!” Princess Luna had already leapt up and posed herself at the door.

“…Just let me get my scarf.”
--------------------


Trying to keep up with Princess Luna proved quite the task. Not only did her long legs give her an advantage in stride, but she also seemed unhindered by the low temperature.

“Here we are Princess,” beamed Twilight, despite the bags under her eyes. She knocked on the door. Hoofsteps could be heard on the other side of the door, then the unlatching of a lock.

“Ah, Miss Sparkle, how may I help you?” Ember stood before the pair, apparently having received even less sleep than Twilight. His mane was quite unkempt, bags hung under his eyes, and for some reason, a pair of goggles hung around his neck.

“I'm sorry for bothering you so early, but I was talking to Princess Luna,” Twilight nodded towards the Princess beside her, “and we were wondering if you could tell us more about this bell custom.”

Ember eyed the princess, and then bowed slowly. “It is my pleasure your highness.”

“That won’t be necessary, we… I would prefer you address me as Luna. I have said the same to Twilight Sparkle, but she is… resistant.”

“I don’t mean to be,” Twilight apologized.

A tired smile spread across Ember’s face. “Very well, Luna, Twilight, please come in, you’re just in time to see the spell.”

The tables in the center of the bakery had been pushed to one side. Upon the floor of the bakery, amidst the smell of baking breads, were several circles laid upon the floor in what appeared to be wheat. At various points of the figure holly leaves had been laid out in symbols Twilight recalled seeing in books about archaic runes. Finally, at the circle’s center, and at several points on the outside of the largest circle were what appeared to be quartz crystals.

“This reminds me of Hearth Warming Eve,” mused Twilight.

“So,” Ember began, pulling the goggles up over his eyes and stepping into the circle, placing his hooves on the central crystal. “What I have here is an activation spell, meant to power the spell structure already inside the bells. Using the leyline that runs by here, I can saturate the area with magic, essentially a form of free energy for the bells to work off of. This way they can stay active for a longer period of time, and should increase their range.”

The magic circle sprang to life in a burst of light, a fierce wind blowing throughout the building, yet somehow not moving the circle’s components from their spots on the floor. With a final howl, the circle vanished.

TIIIIING

TIIIING

TIIIIIING

The sound of bells rang through the air. I warm, delightful sound.

Yet, Twilight thought something seemed off. Amongst the beautiful rings, came a long, incessant whine. It grew louder, and louder, and louder-

WHAM

“WHAT DID YOU DO?!”

The Doctor stood in the bakery’s doorway, lungs heaving.

“I’ve been trying to monitor the blasted Daleks, who for some reason don’t seem to be doing anything, and then you go and blanket the area is some signal? What are you trying to do, tell them exactly where we are, make it easier for them to kill us?!”

“I told you last night, the Daleks won’t be a problem.”

“Signal, what signal?” questioned Twilight.

“Yes! That was what was under that empathy spell,” spoke Luna, “it felt like a signal of some sort, but it seemed to behave in odd ways.”

“What’s everypony doing in here?”

In the open doorway was a pink pony, a basket balanced upon her head.

“Oh, Miss Pie, you brought the muffins.”

Ember did his best to look pleased, but the long night had clearly caught up with him. This seemed lost on Pinkie.

“Of course! I couldn’t let you show up Sugarcube Corner after all.”

“Did you say muffins? I actually haven’t eaten anything since… what’s today?” inquired the Doctor.

“Friday,” mumbled Ember, a muffin already stuffed in his mouth, eyes closed.

“Then, yes, I’d best eat. Can’t save the world on an empty stomach.”


For several minutes, the hastily assembled equines enjoyed their breakfast. Considering the circumstances, Twilight found this a profound waste of time. However, perhaps due to the empathy charm, she was overcome with a sense of ease. Not to mention hunger. However, stomach now filled, she finally spoke up.

“So these bells, you placed an empathy charm in them? I thought they were supposed to enhance a purifying charm?”

“They still do that too. The bells themselves simply are a tool for retaining and amplifying spells, any spell a caster puts into them. However, without spirits to keep at bay, a more productive spell seemed to be one that helps connect people and let them understand each other, don’t you think?”

“Perhaps,” replied Luna. “Yet I am still curious about that signal you sent out, that second spell inlaid in the bells.”

There was a glint in Ember’s eyes as he looked to the princess. It took him a moment to speak.

“To be honest, I’m not too sure of the specifics myself, it’s something I remember from a long time ago, the feel of it. I just knew it had to be there. There was someone that needed to hear it.”

Ember pointed a hoof upwards.

“Ooooh, is it in the attic? I find lots of neat things in the attic,” chimed in Pinkie.

“Not the attic,” corrected the Doctor, “the Dalek ship.”

“A ship full of Garlic?”

“…No. But why tell the Daleks to come here?”

Ember had gotten up to remove a pan of bread from the oven in the back room, but turned to answer the Doctor.

“It’s not for the Daleks, it’s for their hitchhiker.”

“You can’t mean, Tempest is on that ship?”

Twilight and Luna glanced at each other as Ember and the Doctor conversed. If they had wanted to meet a spirit of old, it seemed they were about to get their chance.

“Doctor?”

From the doorway peered in a gray pegasus.

“Oh, yes Ditzy?”

“My muffin senses were tingling…”