• Published 13th Oct 2019
  • 227 Views, 0 Comments

Two lost apples - PaladinponyT



Friendship is a very precious thing no matter how short, this story tells the tale of three ponies who face great hardships together. After facing many trials, they unfortunately have to say goodbye too soon.

  • ...
 0
 227

Chapter 2: Pies and Whistles

As the sun rose above the trees, I could hear a peculiar sound; it was whistling, but not the whistling of birds. What followed that was a heavenly smell, I could make out cinnamon and something else. Using my magic, I put on my sword, belt, and cloak. I floated myself down from the rock and made my way over to the sound and smell. My silver mane felt nice in the bright morning air; I felt better than I had last night. I felt as light as a feather and the cinnamon smell warmed my heart; I turned around a great tree and into a wide opening. In the middle were two ponies, one was a stallion with a red mane and light yellow coat. The other was a mare, she had a mane of bright orange and was very pretty. The two were busy cleaning up a small campsite; they loaded their stuff into a large wagon.

I walked slowly over to them, even amongst ponies, I am wary of strangers. The stallion was the first to see me. He picked up an old hat and placed it on his head. He walked up to me with a friendly smile, "Howdy there, didn't expect to meet anypony way out here." he said, his voice was very cheerful. He held out a hoof for me to shake, I took it, and he shook me very hard, but not to hurt me. I was surprised at the kind greeting and I cursed my suspicious mind; not every creature was dangerous.

Trying to smile, I said, "Neither did I, but it is nice to meet you. Mister?"

"Bright Mac," he answered. "And that is my wife Buttercup." He pointed to the mare at the wagon. She walked over to us with a sweet smile of her own.

Buttercup's voice was soft and full of curiosity as she asked, "What are you doing way out here mister?"

I was hesitant at first, but her smile made me feel that I could trust them. "I am on an errand for the princess, and I need to get back to Canterlot."

The two of them looked at me with amazement, "You know Princess Celestia?" asked Bright Mac.

"Yes I do, and now let me ask you something. What are you two doing out here? This forest is very dangerous."

The two looked at one another then led me back to their wagon, Bright Mac pulled open the covering and I looked inside. There were dozens of large pies in the wagon; now I knew the source of that wonderful smell.

"We were delivering these to a town on the other side of the forest, but they didn't sell very well." Bright Mac said sadly.

I wondered why, nothing looked wrong with the pies and they smelled fantastic. Seeing my mouth water, Buttercup took one of the pies and cut a piece out for me. I floated it over to me and took a bite, it was apple, and it was the greatest thing I had ever eaten. Indeed, in all the lands far and wide that I had visited, nothing compared to that one slice of apple pie. I thanked them and ate some more; it brought them great joy to see somepony admiring their hard work.

"We are on our way back to Ponyville," said Bright Mac. "If you want, you could come back with us and make your way to Canterlot from there."

I had heard of Ponyville before, but I had never been there, and traveling with these two was not an unpleasant idea.

I nodded and said, "I would love to join you."

They both smiled in approval, "What's your name?" asked Buttercup.

Again I hesitated, I didn't give my name to many creatures. Only the princess and a few close friends knew my real name; however, something about them put me at ease. "My name is Sunblade." I bowed to them. "At your service."

And with that the three of us walked to the second half of The Everfree forest, Bright Mac pulled the wagon behind him and Buttercup walked right next to him. I walked in front, keeping an eye out for trouble. As we left the wide opening, Bright Mac started to whistle a happy tune.