• Published 10th Mar 2019
  • 2,497 Views, 9 Comments

A Taste-Test of Royalty - Liquid Savage



In which a humble bat pony gets an interesting job at the castle...

  • ...
12
 9
 2,497

Pancake Power

Weeks went by, and Midnight Blossom was enjoying every day of her job. She quickly got used to getting up early and rushing to the castle in time to test the Princess’ breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Sometimes she even got to try a dessert, when the alicorns felt like spoiling themselves. Which seemed to be every other day, according to Luna’s…rounder abdomen compared to the slender Celestia, but she dared not say anything to her rulers’ faces.

What she also didn’t notice was the effect her new job was having on her physique. She had learned on that fateful day that Luna had grown quite a round middle, but she was starting to share that shape. Her belly had gone from a slender barrel to a real barrel. Her cheeks had gotten chubbier, and the ghost of a double chin was beginning to form under her jaw.

One particular morning, she was met with a strange smell as she entered the private dining hall. She recognised it; definitely pancakes, but not like the ones the chefs usually made. They smelt...not so sweet, a little burnt. Very rough. She scowled and stepped through the kitchen doors, ready to reprimand whoever would dare create something so shoddy for the Princesses.

Her mouth snapped shut when she saw Princess Luna standing at the stove. She turned to look at Midnight with a smile.

“Good morning, Midnight Blossom,” she greeted with a smile. “You seem surprised to see me.”

“I am,” Midnight admitted, “you said Celestia took cooking lessons.”

“I suppose I neglected to mention I take them also,” Luna said with a casual shrug. “I am trying to perfect the art of pancake preparation.”

“Why pancakes?”

“Why not pancakes?”

Midnight blinked. “I meant, why pancakes in particular?”

“Oh, ‘tis a long story,” Luna said with a dismissive hoof, “involving swapped cutie marks and delves into the dream realm to fight my sister’s evil side. But I shan’t bother you with it now; perhaps later?”

Midnight’s ears perked up. She definitely wanted to hear this story. “Later, sure. So how’re the pancakes coming along?”

“Better than my first attempt, I would like to say.” The Princess floated a small stack of pancakes toward the bat pony. “But I would like my taste tester’s professional opinion.”

“Wha--me?” Midnight asked dumbly, staring at the plate before she took it in her hoof.

“That is why I hired you,” Luna pointed out. “Besides, my sister tells me you have quite a palate.”

Midnight blushed sweetly. Had Celestia really said that? Maybe she had nothing to worry about with this new job. Besides, despite how the pancakes looked rather rough, she felt her mouth watering. Normally she’d pass on such a shoddy creation, but she really wanted this one. Not just because one of the rulers of Equestria had prepared it, but because she was hungry. Starving. She wanted it. She needed it.

She hadn’t even noticed that she was already licking an empty plate clean, then wiping crumbs, syrup and berry juice off her muzzle. It was over already? Where’d they all go? Was there more? She needed more.

“Somepony is eager,” Luna commented, and Midnight could swear she saw the ghost of a smirk on the Princess’s face when she looked up at her. “So, what did you think? And be honest; I will not improve without criticism.”

“Well the pancakes themselves were a little overcooked and not cut so evenly,” Midnight said, “and as much as I love syrup, they were practically drowning in it. The berries weren’t the freshest either; I’d consult the chefs about getting better ones next time. Other than that, they’re pretty good.”

Luna’s brow furrowed, and Midnight clapped a hoof over her mouth. Had she really just said that? Luna wanted honesty, but she had more or less just mouthed off to a Princess! Forget losing her job, she was going to the dungeons for this!

Luna looked to the stove and tapped her chin. “Hm, yes, I see what you mean. Perhaps I still have a way to go. Thank you, Midnight Blossom. Why don’t you get comfortable in the dining room and I will have breakfast brought out for you? I will have the chefs prepare it, do not worry.” She smirked, noticing Midnight’s face.

“Y-you’re not mad…?”

Luna tilted her head. “I asked for your honest opinion, Midnight Blossom. Why would I be mad at you for giving me what I wanted?”

Midnight didn’t have a good answer to that logic, and so obediently exited to the dining room. She watched chefs walk in and greeted them as she took a seat, her plush plot and the few small folds of back fat squishing into the cushions. She didn’t notice of course, not even when she wiggled her oversized rump into the seat.

She didn’t even think about how, despite having a half-dozen pancakes all to herself and her belly wasn’t rumbling, she still felt hungry. Sure, the pancakes weren’t the best she ever had, but it was still a sizeable stack. All she was thinking about was what she was going to eat next, for her real breakfast.

Her mouth watered anew when the kitchen doors opened again, and the smell of perfectly cooked pancakes, toast and waffles wafted up her nose. Her wings fluttered when she watched the table fill up with plates, and wasted no time shoving her face into the stack of fluffy, syrup-coated pancakes in front of her, not realising in her gluttony that Luna was watching with a smirk.