• Published 1st Jan 2019
  • 534 Views, 2 Comments

The Two Royals (ChrysalisxSombra) - Duckyworth



An alternate universe romance story where Chrysalis and Sombra join forces, vowing vengeance on those who defeated them.

  • ...
 2
 534

The Crystal Hive

Author's Note:

I don't normally write descriptive writing of this nature, so this is a first for me to be writing a story. Also, seen as this is fanfiction, I'm trying to keep it in character. Also, when it came to Sombra and Chrysalis’ comments on the shining crystal ponies/colouring that Thorax and the other Changelings received, this is in no way indicative of my own thoughts on the colour changes – I personally really like the new designs the reformed Changelings have – just to clear that up.

One last thing to note - as I wrote this chapter originally, the most recent episode of Friendship is Magic that I had seen was ‘To Where And Back Again’, so I was not aware of what had happened in Season 7 and 8 at the time I uploaded this story on DeviantArt originally. The next chapters will take place after differing events in the series.

The foreboding, horrifying structure appeared to have drained the land for miles around of its life and vigour. The neighbouring lands used to be prosperous and bountiful.... but ever since this construct materialised, their inhabitants had no choice but to flee for safety. Appearing to be some horrifying metamorphosis of shadowy black crystalline shards and a giant insectoid hive, no pony in their right mind would dare venture anywhere near the titanic construction of black magic.


However, inside the crystalline hive, two lone creatures of dark intent, the two who were responsible for the creation of the horrific lair, could think of no better place to reside. And indeed - their natures suited the confines perfectly.


Two former royals, banished from their former kingdoms for years now by their former subjects - one, Sombra, a shadowy stallion who lived off of terror and tyranny, and the other, Chrysalis, a changeling who could take the form of anyone and drain their love from her victims. The former had been mostly destroyed by the magic of the Crystal Heart and the denizens of the Crystal Empire, but a part of his body, his blood red horn, remained intact, and he had regenerated himself from this shard. The latter had been forced to flee from her former kingdom after being overthrown by a benevolent and kindhearted Changeling whose friendship with a small purple dragon and a pink pony with a purple and blue mane had allowed him and his fellow changelings to undergo a fantastic metamorphosis… Chrysalis was the only one who rejected that change.


Two of the most evil creatures in the whole of Equestria….and yet, it seemed that the two of them weren’t completely devoid of affection or love…. As long as it was for something as sinister and scheming as they were – as in, each other.


Sombra and Chrysalis were in the middle of what could very generously be considered some kind of throne room, lying together in romantic embrace.


'It's almost frightening how much I love you, my beautiful temptress.' Sombra growled softly in affection, playfully nipping at Chrysalis’ wings gently.


'And your love could sustain me for a lifetime, my black diamond.‘ Chrysalis hissed happily, her forked tongue running along her lips as she rested her head in Sombra’s mane. ‘It tastes so succulent….’


‘What was it you told me about that metamorphosis those treacherous subjects of yours underwent when that pony convinced them to share their love?’ Sombra raised an eyebrow, turning his head to look Chrysalis in the eye. ‘The description you gave made me feel sick just listening to it…. It sounds almost as repulsive as when my crystal slaves became illuminated by the Crystal Heart…’ Sombra gritted his teeth in a combination of disgust and anger at the memory of his defeat.


‘Hmph, well, it depends on who you’re sharing your love with – and with you for company, dear, I don’t think I’ll be changing into that gaudy colouring any time soon. I prefer my looks at the moment, anyway!‘ Chrysalis gave a slight chuckle in jest…. But upon laughing, her voice slowly faltered, and her expression wared into a furious snarl. ‘And that only gives me more reason to take revenge on those treacherous cretins and…. Those ponies who dared to fill their heads with that sappy drivel….’


‘You and I both, love….’ Sombra gazed out of the makeshift windows that they had created in their lair towards the sky outside. He knew that the distance between them and their foes was far, but when it came to vengeance for their humiliation, no distance was too far for them. The memories of their former defeats filled the two black hearted equine creatures with a deep burning rage, and it only made their ultimate desires all the more palpable. Those ponies, changelings and dragon who had wronged them would all pay for what they had done. But especially one – one alicorn princess who was responsible for it all – the one who had unified them together into a far greater force than they could have expected.


Twilight. Sparkle.


The very mention of the name brought numerous others to mind that brought forth their deep-rooted rage and tasted like poison on their lips just by uttering their names.


Celestia. Luna. Spike. Starlight Glimmer. Thorax. Cadence. Shining Armour. They and their companions. More disgusting than the foulest pestilence to mention.


Sombra felt like he was going to be sick when he heard from Chrysalis that Celestia’s prized pupil had become an alicorn and had been dubbed the repugnant title of ‘Princess of Friendship’ – as if she was continuing to insult them even after their defeat. Sombra had told Chrysalis of the small purple dragon child who had assisted Twilight Sparkle and delivered the Crystal Heart to his former slaves, and he was slightly embarrassed to admit he had been bested by a dragon child, but Chrysalis had reluctantly confessed herself that some second rate student of Twilight who she had never even considered a threat was the one who convinced her subjects to share their love. But upon hearing about the purple dragon, memories came to her of a purple dragon who had been captured by her former swarm. Before he was confined into a cocoon for feeding, the small dragon was calling for Thorax, tears running down his face as he was imprisoned. At that moment, she knew the dragon was one of those responsible for sowing the seeds of treachery in the mind of one of her Changelings, and had to resist the urge to snuff out the dragon brat’s life right there and then.


But the dragon was raised by Twilight Sparkle. A quick death was too generous for her and her close companions. Through their wrath, Sombra and Chrysalis knew that they would take the sweet time to make their revenge as delicious as possible.


When they first met, Sombra had demonstrated his powers to Chrysalis, and while she was at first horrified at what she saw when he showed her her greatest fear, her fear changed into sinister intrigue, as she knew what power his manipulation of the shadows, crystals and a pony’s deepest fears could hold. A door that exposed a pony to their greatest fears, with the possibility of keeping them enveloped in their fears for all eternity, as a security device, and dark magic that trapped someone who tried to secure the Crystal Heart? The Changeling admired his cunning, and could see the possibilities such magic held.


Chrysalis had shown Sombra her abilities in turn. Sombra had heard of the Changelings and their powers, but nonetheless, he had heard rumours about her invasion of Canterlot during the royal wedding, and it wasn’t easy to fool an entire kingdom to the point of draining the love from the groom and almost taking over the whole domain, not to mention replacing so many important figures with imposters during her second plan. The former king was impressed - and took further delight when Chrysalis told him about her magic draining throne, already dreaming of the possibilities it could hold if it were to be crafted again on a grander scale...


Both of them were so close to achieving their ultimate goals, and if they came so close separately, if they were together…. They would be unstoppable. With each other’s help, they had started to regain their former strength, and it wouldn’t be long before they were back to their former glory.


‘I think we were just imagining the same scenario, my dear.’ Sombra gave a sly grin as he looked back at Chrysalis, who had the same expression of dark anticipation on her face. ‘You’re dreaming up a plan to make our vengeance as glorious as possible, aren’t you?’


Chrysalis turned her head around to rest her twisted horn against Sombra’s. It still surprised Sombra she could turn her neck a full 180 degrees like that…. But of course, what would horrify others only excited him. Chrysalis gave Sombra a gentle kiss on the muzzle, hissing gently. ‘Sombra, you know me too well. But yes, with us together, they’ll soon know how wrong they were to think we wouldn’t come back.‘


Gently licking Chrysalis on the cheek, Sombra gave a low growl as Chrysalis gave out a small purr. ‘They shall soon learn just how foolish they were to think they could have defeated us forever, and Equestria shall fall under our rule…’ Sombra laughed ominously. ‘Our strength shall soon fully return to us. Shall we begin our preparations?’


'In a moment, Sombra dear… I’ve only just got comfortable.’ Chrysalis turned her head back around nuzzled Sombra gently with her cheek, moving her left leg over his back to stroke him some more.


‘As you wish, my queen….’ Sombra gave a deep chuckle as he intertwined his front leg with hers. It seems that even those with hearts as black as theirs, they needed some quiet refuge every now and then.