• Published 16th Dec 2018
  • 216 Views, 1 Comments

Cor Glaciens - Melani-Nexus



Even the strongest need peace, but for Luna there didn't seem to be any.

  • ...
 1
 216

Chapter I: Disconnection

There are moments in life when no matter how strong someone is, or even who they are; everything still becomes unbearable.

All the frustrations, all the negativity that just keep growing, eating away at your subconscious can become uncontrollable, throwing you in a downwards spiral.

But despite being among immortals, even Lunaria was no stranger to that old, everlasting anguish.

The heavy northern winds caressed her body hurriedly as she could see their waves carrying powdery snow all through the landscape. All around her and the path that was taken, laid a vast, seemingly endless land covered under the dense and cold layers of snow. The further you went east, the more generous became the quantity of naturally growing crystals, who had given the main northern land its name.

However this time, she was heading away from the forsaken empire and towards the northeast stretch of these frozen domains. The trail that the princess choose to take by her lonesome would appear almost indistinguishable from her surroundings to many; she knew that for many ponies, such a place would appear unforgiving, empty, devoid of life.

That very thought prompted the mare to stop in her tracks, slowly closing her eyes as the howling of the wind fully embraced her being, softly causing her feathers to flutter and her mane and tail to wave at its mercy. Luna knew better than to mindlessly condemn others, be it someone or a thing; because just like the glories hidden within the fall of darkness, there were feelings that such a place could invoke within someone’s heart.

Her pasterns felt chilly as her eyes fluttered open, the contrast of her warm breaths blown away as the wind rapidly ran over her muzzle. Many would judge it in an ill manner in case they ever heard her thoughts, but being in such a place brought her unrivaled peace; a feeling that she had not come across for so long that it almost pained her to find it so far from home.

So far from her sister.

There were times in which being able to become someone else completely could really come in handy, she thought.

Unluckily for her, she couldn’t keep being someone else forever; as harsh as the temptation was, running away from your problems would inevitably create a self-fulfilling prophecy; on top of that, she would not fail Equestria’s needs for her feelings’ sake.

As she abandoned her ruminating thoughts and kept walking towards a village nearby, Lunaria calmly expected the vague silhouette barely being reflected on a nearby frozen body of water. Her once indigo blue coat now had taken a lovely tone of denim instead, all of her old markings had disappeared as well.

Raising her hands and inspecting both the fur and the definition of her claws, Luna brought her left hand to her forehead, softly ruffling the downy short fur there as she felt the uncanny lack of her horn. - “Moonlit Snowfall...” - Saying that alias aloud to herself, Lunaria internalized it almost like a protection charm.

A shiver ran down her spine for a moment, causing the mare to exhale through her nostrils with a little more vigor as as her hand slid down to rub against her other arm. Luckily for her, secretly being an Alicorn boosted her resilience against natural hazards of all types.

But perhaps it would be diligent to hasten her trip, as the intensity of magical interference in the northern lands seemed to be strong enough to disrupt even her natural abilities.

She prayed silently that her disguise could hold up against such inconvenience as she flicked a claw at the tiny enchanted relic aiding her. Nothing happened to her appearance; good.

Shifting her walking speed, the undercover princess flared a pair of soft wings open, inspecting them for a short moment. Many things had changed as she took this temporary form, but her wings remained almost the same; capable of insulating her body, flying silently, and sizing up at slightly more than double of her height from tip to tip, those owl-like wings weren’t anything to be scoffed at.

With nothing more than a running start and a confident jump, she was off to the sky and heading towards a village that was right by Luna’s bay, Månviken. For just a few days she wouldn’t have to suffer or worry with her conundrums.

For a few days she could be the pegasus, Snowfall; instead of the obscured night Princess, Lunaria.


Author's Note:

I come back from the grave. :rainbowwild: