• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 1,783 Views, 6 Comments

Nature VS Nurture - Devastator1775



What happens if Sparkler's biological mother comes back into the life of the Doo Family?

  • ...
1
 6
 1,783

Prologue

It was a beautiful Saturday morning. The sun was warm. The Pegasi had kicked away all the clouds. Birds chirping. And it were these birds that woke up Ditzy.

“Mhhh?” she mumbled as turned in her bed. Her eyes fluttered open and a smile appeared on her face. But it quickly turned into a shocked expression when she thought she smelt something. Only thing was: she wasn’t thinking it, it really happened.

“Smoke! Fire!” she said. Her eyes narrowed in fear. “DINKY!”

She jumped out of bed and galloped to her daughter’s room. Her heart sank as she saw that the bed was empty. She ran down the stairs, searching franticly for her daughter.

She saw that the smoke came from the kitchen. She ran to the door and saw the smoke originated from the open oven. She heard couching. Four little pale-purpled legs came from under the big column of smoke. She ran to the smoke, first pulling her daughter out of it, bringing her to the living room and then back to the oven. She pulled out the object that was in it: a plate of black burned muffins.

She placed the cupcakes on the table, giving herself some time to calm down.

“Mommy?” a soft voice said. “I’m sorry. Don’t be mad.”

Ditzy smiled at her daughter, who was standing at the entrance of the kitchen, at the brink of tears.

“No, mommy’s not mad, Dinky.” Ditzy said, opening up her arms, letting her daughter ran into them. Dinky nuzzled herself against Ditzy’s chest.

“Now. Why did you use the oven?” Ditzy asked, looking her daughter straight in the eyes. “You know you’re too young to use it, Dinkster.”

“I w-wanted to bake some f-for Sparkler.” Dinky said, sobbing a little. “To sur-surprise her.”

How could she forget? Her oldest daughter, was on a 5-day excursion with her school to Manehattan and today she was coming back home. Ditzy smiled at her daughter. She didn’t know any filly with a greater heart than her daughter.

“Your heart was in the right place, Dinky.” Ditzy said, walking to the cabinet to get the ingredients for some new muffins. “But I’m afraid your age was not. C’mon, little muffin, let’s make some new ones.”

“YAY!” Dinky yelled, hopping over to her mother.

“BUT …” Ditzy said, with a played stern expression. “This time, I will use the oven. Okay.”

“Okay.” Dinky said enthusiastically, wiggling her tail like an excited puppy.

An hour later, the kitchen was filled with the smell of fresh chocolate-chipped blueberry muffins. With the oven mitt in her mouth, she gently placed the muffins on the table, letting the cool.

She walked to the living room, where Dinky was curled up on the couch, fast asleep. Poor dear, she had gotten out of her bed a lot earlier than usual to make the muffins. No wonder she almost fell asleep ten minutes after she and Ditzy started the new batch of muffins.

Dinky’s head popped up when they heard three gentle knocks on the front door. Dinky jumped out of the couch, tripped when she began to ran, got up and galloped to the front door, where she started jumping up and down.

“Bigsisterbigsisterbigsister.” Dinky yelled out.

Another three knocks.

“Coming!” Ditzy sang.

Her already bright smile became even bigger when she saw the smiling pony in front of her. It was a female unicorn with a lavender pink coat, a violet mane and tail with a floral lavender streak, amethyst eyes, and a cutie mark of three brilliant-cut diamonds.

“Sparkler.” Ditzy called out, suddenly realizing how much she missed her those five days. She took her daughter into a tight embrace, a tear running down her cheek.

“Mom, please, let me breath.” Sparkler giggled, pretending to choke. “Now, where is that little filly I call my sister.”

“Immahere immahere immahere.” Dinky enthusiastically yelled, bouncing circles around Sparkler.

“Is she hiding?” Sparkler asked with a playful tone, pretending not to see Dinky.

“Hee-eere!” Dinky sang, jumping in front of her.

“Ow, wait …” Sparkler said. “HERE SHE IS!” She grabbed Dinky and started to tickle her. The little filly laughed it out, wiggling herself out of her sister’s grasp and ran to the entrance of the living room.

“Welcome home, Sparkler Doo.” Ditzy said, nuzzling her head against her daughter.

“Glad to be home, mom.” Sparkler said, nuzzling back.

"So, how was the trip?" Ditzy asked, as her daughter walked into the house, dropping her saddlebags on the floor.

"Long, exhausting and totally worth the wait." Sparkler said, stretching her legs. "Manehattan was amazing. The statue of Friendship, the Celestia Towers, the nightlife, EVERYTHING."

"Speaking about 'the nightlife'." Ditzy said, giving her daughter a stern look, albeit a bit silly look because of her wall-eyes. But Sparkler took the expression serious nevertheless. "I hope you were careful. You have no idea what lurks in the night."

"Mom, jeez." Sparkler said, walking over to the couch, jumping in, followed by her younger sister, who made herself comfortable against her side. "I was with friends all the times and we stayed at the well-lit areas, just like you asked."

"And I"m glad you did." Ditzy said, smiling at her daughter. "I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt, or worse."

"I still know what you did for me when I got hurt all those years ago." Sparkler said, a warm smile on her face.

But Ditzy's smile faded as her daughter's one grew. "You ...still remember everything?" Ditzy asked, blocking away the memories of that awful time. It wasn't a time she liked to remember.

"No, not everything. I was still so young when it all happened, after all." Sparkler reassured. "But I remember clearly the most important part. I was hurt, you were there for me, you took me in and became my mother."

"And I got a beautiful daughter." Ditzy said. She suddenly noticed that Dinky was watching and listening with much interest. "Something wrong, Dinkster?"

"Mommy, how did Sparkler became your daughter, when she was born with a different mommy?" Dinky asked.

Ditzy gave her youngest daughter a concerned look. The little filly knew that sparkler was adopted long before she was born, but she really wanted to know the story behind it.

"I think that's a story for when you're a little older." Ditzy said.

"A lot older." Sparkler added.

Dinky hopped off the bed. "All the good stories are always for 'when I'm older'." Dinky muttered, walking out the room. " 'Where do foals come from?', 'What happened to Daddy?', 'How do you make chocolate-chipped blueberry muffins?'. Always 'when I'm older'."

Ditzy laughed at the mutterings from her daughter. She was so young, and yet she could act like she was a mare in her teens.

"How DO you make those chocolate-chipped blueberry muffins anyway, mom?" Sparkler asked, clearing away the cloud of discomfort the questions had brought."

"When you're older, Sparkler." Ditzy laughed, soon joined by her adopted daughter.

A beautiful time for the Doo Family. But how long would it last?