• Published 2nd Apr 2019
  • 423 Views, 4 Comments

Equestria Girls JT: Rainbow Rocks - MrBiteo



When a friendly showcase turns into a battle of the bands, there's only one pony to call: Princess Twilight!

  • ...
 4
 423

Guitar Centered

Six months had passed after the night of the Fall Formal and life in Canterlot High was as normal as it could ever be, what with a student being really a sapient pony from another universe. Rainbow Dash woke up on a beautiful spring morning. When she got to school, she learned that there was going to be an upcoming musical showcase for everyone to participate in next month. Upon hearing the news, Rainbow Dash knew immediately that she and her friends had to be apart of it and that they were supposed to start making music together. But she knew she needed to get herself a new guitar first before forming a band. So, she went to the Music Center at the mall after school to do so, while also dragging the rest of the Humane 5 with her to help her pick out the perfect guitar.

"Rainbow Dash, I simply don't understand why you can't just play the guitar you already have for the showcase." Rarity sighed, reasoning with Rainbow Dash over the condition of her current guitar and before lightly leaning on the counter.

Rainbow shook her head at Rarity's skepticism as she placed the guitar case she was holding down on the counter and opened it. Inside was an old, beat-up sea green electric guitar. It's neck was also broken and just then, one of its strings snapped.

Rarity gasped in shock at the condition of Rainbow's worn out guitar. "Now, I understand."

"I guess it's been a while since you took it out for a spin?" Applejack asked Rainbow.

"I used to practice a lot with it, actually." "But then I got so busy with soccer and basketball and swimming and..."

Vinyl looked up from the cashier's desk and sent a text to Rarity: "You girls starting a band?"

"Oh, we are." Rarity said to Vinyl. "We're planning our own band for the music showcase. But now we've got to figure out what everyone's going to play"

"How 'bout this one?" Pinkie then suggested enthusiastically from behind Rainbow, holding up a purple tiger striped guitar.

"No." Rainbow Dash declined.

"Lookie here!" Pinkie then said holding up a banjo, to which Rainbow repeated her answer.

"Super groovy!" Pinkie said, this time holding up a tuba.

"No, Pinkie." Rainbow told Pinkie.

"Well? Whatcha lookin' for?" Applejack then asked.

"That's the problem." Rainbow explained. "I need something that looks as awesome as I'm gonna make it sound."

While Rainbow was discussing with Applejack about what guitar she wanted, Rarity wandered over to the keyboard section of the store and was trying out one of the pianos.

"You play beautifully." Fluttershy said softly to Rarity. "I wish I knew how to play an instrument."

"You don't have to play an instrument." Rarity reassured Fluttershy. "You have a lovely singing voice. That's much better than having to play an instrument.

"Oh, um, okay." Fluttershy said flattered by Rarity's words. But she felt nervous about singing in public considering her shy nature. It was fun to think about being in a band, but it was also scary for her, too. Every time she thought about performing onstage, she felt really nervous.

"What about this one?" Pinkie asked Rainbow Dash holding up a bass.

"That's a bass, Pinkie." Applejack told Pinkie before taking a look at it. "A nice one, too. But I already got one at home for me to play, if you're interested, Rainbow."

Rainbow Dash merely sighed. She liked to have good equipment when she played, whether it was the perfect pair of cleats, a brand new ball, or a guitar that would let her fingers create just the right music for their band. And then she saw it. On the wall was the most perfect guitar she had ever seen. It was a red double-necked guitar. It had flair, it had style, but best of all, it was decorated with stars and a lightning bolt in the center.

Rainbow Dash gasped in awe; her eyes lit up. Of course! This was what she had been looking for. She ran over to it. She couldn't wait to play such an amazing guitar. It was calling to her. Already, she could feel music pouring through her. She reached out and grabbed hold of the guitar's left neck, and just as she did, another hand grabbed the other neck on the right. It was Trixie!

"Hands off my guitar, Trixie!" Rainbow Dash demanded to Trixie as she pulled the guitar towards her.

"I touched it first, Rainbow Dash!" Trixie said back to Rainbow, yanking the guitar back into her direction.

The two were just about to begin a full-on tug-of-war for the double-necked guitar when Applejack stepped in.

"Simmer down there, you two." Applejack ordered, but neither Rainbow nor Trixie took their hand off the double-necked guitar.

"There's no need to become ruffians, darlings," Rarity spoke and reasoned, "when a simple inquiry could solve the problem."

She stepped over to the cashier's desk to talk to Vinyl Scratch. "Excuse me, but do you happen to have this same exact guitar in the back, and if so, could I trouble you to get it for me, please?"

Vinyl looked over at the guitar the two girls were fighting over. The two looked at her, hopeful. Vinyl shook her head.

"Oh..." Rarity soon replied to Vinyl's answer in disappointment before returning to the others.

Rainbow's hand reached up higher on the neck she was grabbing on to to tighten her grip. Unfortunately for her, Trixie did the same. "Now what?"

"Sounds to me like this is the makin' for a nice, friendly competition." Applejack then said, seeing that there was only one option left for Rainbow and Trixie to go with.

"Alright. Let's see who plays best." Rainbow Dash wagered to Trixie.

"A shred-off?" Trixie asked showing intrigue.

"Shred ON!"

Rainbow Dash held up her hand in the air where Pinkie popped up from above and handed her a cyan guitar to compete with before going back up offscreen. Luckily for Rainbow Dash, the guitar was surprisingly already plugged into a nearby amp despite Pinkie having given it to her upside down. She put the strap around her neck and began warming up her fingers with a few quick scales and chords.

Trixie chose an orange axe guitar and almost instantly her fingers were flying across the strings, creating an irresistible rift.

"I sure hope our Rainbow is up to speed." Applejack whispered to Rarity.

Fluttershy shushed Applejack. "She's going to do great. We just have to believe in her."

Trixie dazzled her and Rainbow Dash's watchers with electrifying playing. She had style and energy. She was awesome. Rainbow's friends then started clapping along while she played. Or at least, that's what she imagined. Rainbow's friends were instead merely watching the match before them as Rainbow and Trixie played.

Rainbow Dash was determined to win that double-necked guitar and she was sliding and bending notes to create all kinds of wild effects. The girls' licks grew more and more complex and powerful, astounding the Humane 4 with their righteous riffs and mind-boggling power chords.

Trixie dropped to one knee and let loose with out-of-this-world strumming. Her white hair was flying, she had her eyes shut, and every cell in her body seemed to be focused on her playing.

For a moment, Rainbow Dash backed away a bit, seeing how Trixie was getting the upper hand in the battle and had her cornered. Was she going to lose? Did she have it in her to wow the crowd? She looked over to her friends. They were counting on her. She had to do it for the band. She had to.

And that's when it happened. In her darkest hour, she was enveloped with an electrical aura, along with the guitar she was playing, changing its color to blue with its neck red and having small lightning bolts on it. She had ponied up! She wasn't just a rocker, she was a full-fledged pony player! A determined expression came over her face as she totally went for it with a dazzling run of notes. Her fingers were racing, the strings were dancing, music was pouring out of the guitar. She made it sound like a waterfall, a thunderstorm, and then the sun bursting through the clouds after the rain. The music was irresistible.

Trixie glanced up from her playing and saw Rainbow Dash's state, to her utter shock. Rainbow Dash leaped into the air, gave one last triumphant strum to her guitar, and landed, sending out a sonic rainboom-like shockwave, knocking Trixie back into the drum section.

The smoke cleared, with Rainbow Dash kneeling on the floor and found her friends around her. The girls all cheered for their friend's victory. There was no doubt about it. Trixie was an amazing player as she was, but Rainbow Dash was the winner. Trixie rolled one of the drums of the set that she crashed into out of the way and saw Rainbow in her pony form, astonished by the latter's surprise victory. She couldn't believe what just happened. How could she have ever competed with that?

"Check me out!" Rainbow Dash said, finding herself in her pony form.

Vinyl Scratch came up to Rainbow Dash, with the prized double-necked guitar in her hands, and handed it to her. Rainbow studied the guitar offered to her. It was certainly stylish, but that wasn't what made a guitar sound great. It was the sound that mattered when you came down to it. She looked at the transformed guitar she'd just played. It may not have been a double-necked guitar, but it was magical, both metaphorically and literally.

"Uh, she can have it." Rainbow Dash told Vinyl Scratch. "Turns out this is the one that really speaks to me," she then said clutching and nuzzling the guitar she knew now that she wanted, to which Vinyl gave her a thumbs-up of approval.

Trixie was in shock at what Rainbow said, but immediately soaked in her victory as she plucked her prize off Vinyl Scratch's hands. "The Great and Powerful Trixie always wins in the end!" Trixie gloated raising the guitar she "won" in the air and let out a laugh.

"I doubt it." Rainbow said to her, not really caring anymore, to Trixie's surprise and confusion.

Rainbow Dash and Vinyl Scratch went over to the cash register to ring it up. Rainbow took out and handed over the money for her new guitar. With the guitar paid for, Rainbow Dash carried it under her arm. Now it was time to get some real practice in before the Showcase. There was no telling what kind of music she could make once all her friends started playing together.

As the Humane 5 headed out of the store, Trixie became curious about the price of the guitar she had "won" and turned it over to see the price tag on the back. Unfortunately for her, the price was not she had hoped.

"$12,000?!" Trixie exclaimed in shock before pointing at the entrance in vengeance. "You'll pay for this, Rainbow Dash!"

"No, silly. If you want it, you'll have to pay for it." Pinkie popped up from the corner of the entrance and pointed out to Trixie before leaving to catch up with her friends.

Unbeknownst to the Humane 5, they had been monitored by a spider bot that was on top of the ceiling. It then quietly crawled away out of the store's entrance without neither Vinyl nor Trixie noticing it.