• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 1,291 Views, 18 Comments

Final Fantasy: Warriors of the Crystal - shadowfalcon76



A country is born through the labors of war. Here is the tale of the warriors who fought for peace.

  • ...
1
 18
 1,291

Welcome to Cornelia

Welcome to Cornelia

It was a bright and sunny afternoon, the kind that was perfect for a relaxing afternoon nap, or perhaps a picnic. Taking a stroll through the park would not be out of the question, nor would taking one's pet out for exercise be unheard of. Azure Vessel, however, was not partaking in any of those diversions. He had other things on his mind, mainly the new spell he had learned recently on his latest outing on patrol.

He had been assigned that duty by his mentor, Clover the Clever, upon his return home to Cornelia, and was to train with the town guards while he continued his magical studies abroad. Star Swirl and Clover had determined that Azure Vessel's magic was a rare and unexplored variety that wasn't seen much before in the unicorn community, and as such, wanted to test it and see what it could do. They quickly found out that while Azure did indeed have magical talent, it was a talent that lent itself to copying the ambient magic that surrounded him and the world around him. He would only grow stronger as he experienced more of the world and of others within it. In time, Azure would learn to harness the energies that various creatures used when they attacked or defended, and he would learn to use these powers for himself. Star Swirl had said that such a talent, as rare as it was, could potentially unlock many secrets of the world, and thus named the new field of study blue magic, after Azure Vessel himself. As for Azure, he would be Equestria's first blue mage.

It was with this intent to give Azure the skills he needed to survive his studies that Clover asked his good friend Sergeant Pansy to help train him in the ways of the warrior, so that he may defend himself with blade while he armed himself with magic. Azure's talent with a sword had not gone unnoticed, and it was this talent that helped him defend against untimely misfortunes. Today's patrol in the wilderness around town had led to one such occurrence, and to Azure's discovery of how his particular brand of magic worked. It had been a painful experience, but it had also been enlightening as well. Azure's patrol had come across a group of diamond dog bandits accosting an earthborne merchant caravan, and moved to help the beleaguered ponies. Azure had followed Sergeant Pansy's advice and sought out an opponent he estimated was not much more powerful than himself. One thing that Azure was not keen on was biting off more than he could chew, at least, not until he had gained more of a mastery over his skills, magical or otherwise.

That fight had taught him that estimation was also a skill he needed work on, as the smaller diamond dog he had singled out turned out to be quick on his paws, as well as in possession of a strength that belied his small stature. Azure fought hard to keep up with the diamond dog's movements, but eventually the miniature brute found an opening in the unicorn's defenses, and charged up a punch that packed more kick than Azure thought possible from such a meager opponent. Just before the punch connected, Azure Vessel swore he could see leylines as small as cracks in a vase or pane of glass surrounding the fist of the diamond dog, being drug along with it as it added power to the hit. The fist, as it connected and began the process of giving Azure a solid black eye, transferred that energy, adding to the pain. More importantly, though, was the fact that at that moment, Azure's magic reacted to the punch on its own, drawing in that energy and making it a part of itself. Making it a part of him.

Azure Vessel quickly caught himself as the force of the punch sent him reeling a good several feet. He quickly tried to shake off the dizziness accompanying the assault, for he still had this diamond dog thief to deal with. As the rogue prepared for another attack, Azure felt an energy swelling up from deep within. It gave him pause, for he had never felt his magic act in this manner before, even when Clover had attempted to teach him various beginner black magics. It felt raw, wild, untamed, and aggressive. As it filled his being with the power, he noticed that the gem bags and caskets of the merchant's caravan begin to glow and become more noticeable, and he had the inexplicable need to hoard them, much like a... diamond dog... would.

As the diminutive diamond dog was about to reach his quarry and deliver another beating, Azure's hoof filled with the energy he had been building, and he reeled back, his eyes aglow with the same soft blue light Clover first saw in the courtyard of Everfree Castle a small hooffull of years ago. The diamond dog had but a moment to contemplate the unnerving and unusual scene before him before Azure's hoof shot forward, filled to the brim with the same energy the diamond dog had used in his prior punch. Unlike the bandit's punch, however, Azure's hoof had the same blue trailing of magic his sword sometimes emitted, and when the punch connected the diamond dog was sent flying a good several yards. The brigand collapsed on the ground upon his landing, and Azure studied him closely in case he would get up, prepared for more, but the dog did not stand. Azure had scarcely believed he had bested the mangy hound, and looked about to see if any others were ready to pounce on him to avenge their fallen comrade, but the scene around him was one he wasn't expecting. The rest of the patrol guards had already apprehended the other diamond dogs, and everypony: guard, merchant, and diamond dog alike, were all staring at Azure Vessel, unsure of what just happened.

The diamond dogs were the first to react, suddenly showing great fear of the young unicorn. Some of them began howling, others mumbling something about 'the soul eater is advent,' and most of the rest simply began crying. The earthborne merchants were unnerved by the racket more than they were of the unusual magic the unicorn with the sword displayed, although they remained wary of Azure all the same. The guards, to their credit, simply began the process of post-combat checkups for the wounded and to get the details of the attack before they arrived from the merchants. The white mage unicorn assigned to the patrol unit began bandaging what few wounds were present, while one of the earthborne, a large burgundy stallion, strode forward towards Azure Vessel.

"Well, howdy there, pardner," the stallion spoke, "I reckon that there magic of yours is might handy round these parts here. The name's Apple Mousse, and this here's mah family's caravan. We just happen to be passin' by on our way to the Cornelian market, when them thar blasted diamond dogs decided our gem caskets were just ripe for the pickin'. We were holdin' them off just fine until that small one you knocked out howled and brought in more of the varmints. We might not have made it out of here alive if it weren't fer the lot of you guards arriving when you did. We owe you our thanks, and our lives." As he said that, Apple Mousse tipped his large, straw hat towards Azure, and nodded his appreciation.

"So, what's your name there, haystack?"

"It's Azure Vessel, sir," Azure responded, "and I am glad that you all are fine. I am also glad that the fight is over. It was rather scary and -OWW- painful." Azure held a hoof up to his eye tenderly, seeking to assuage the pain throbbing from it that the diamond dog's punch had left for him.

-=*=-

Azure Vessel continued to drill in that afternoon sun just on the outskirts of town. While he only managed to scrape by with a black eye, he knew that if it were any more dangerous a foe than a diamond dog, he would fare far worse. He also trained here, for it was here that he and his friend Highwind often sparred with each other, or just simply hung out and shared tales of the day. Highwind was a pegasus that Azure met shortly after his return from his studies in Everfree Castle, and the two hit it off quickly. The sky-blue coated, sun-yellow maned pegasus with the cutie mark of a skyward pointing lance surrounded by the wings of a dragon, hailed from a newly founded city to the north that went by the name of Cloudsdale, a community that was mostly pegasi, but had integrated some unicorn and earthborne ponies in the spirit of the three tribes uniting. Cloudsdale had quickly amassed a small fortune due to the gem mines they had found with the help of the earthborne residents, and had opened some trade with a nearby dragon community. The dragons, in return for a steady food supply of gems, help from the pegasi controlling the local weather, and mutual protection between themselves and the ponies, shared knowledge of ancient history, dragon magics, and, most importantly, the skills of how to fight as a dragon. Only a few ponies were capable of learning these skills, but those that did became fearsome and unrelenting warriors that took to the skies in great leaps, regardless of whether the practitioner was pegasus, earthborne, or unicorn, striking down upon their foes with all the fury of a dragon, their lances like unto the claws of the great beasts themselves. Their breath held all of the elements of the dragon's very own, and the traditional armor that these warriors wore resembled the enormous wyrms from whom they learned such skills.

It was these fighting skills and this armor that the select warriors who managed to master the training necessary wore that led to them being known as Dragon Knights in noble circles, but they were simply known to the ponies at large as “dragoons”. It was Azure's friend, Highwind, that was among the few that managed to endure the many trials faced by hopefuls, and who now walked down the draconic path as a wyrmling, a title in the dragoon order for one who has just begun to earn the title of dragoon, and was still in training, but was worthy to hold their lance high alongside their brothers and sisters in arms. It was Highwind that Azure now waited for at their usual hangout spot, for he had quite a tale to tell today.

It was not long before the tell-tale sign of the dragoon made itself known. Azure heard the flapping of wings, and looked to the sky as he always did, spotting his friend coming in for a landing. His friend's armor, fashioned into the likeness of a purple dragon with green fringed highlights, clung tightly to his frame, allowing the pegasus the flexibility needed for his craft, while still providing substantial protection. His lance was strapped to his back, just out of the way of his wings, being neither in the way of his flight, nor too out of the way for a fight. Azure could tell by the slight sigh and bit of sag in his step Highwind gave as he touched ground that he had not only been out on patrol as well, but that he too had an encounter. More than likely Highwind had his own story to tell today.

"It is great to see you, Azure," Highwind sighed as the toll of the day finally began to catch up to him, "I have quite a story to tell today, and I would dare say you would be hard pressed to match it for a while." Highwind had a slight smirk upon his lips as he delivered the news. Azure had only a grin with which to respond to his friend's boast; it seemed that today's game of 'Can You Top This?' would be an epic one, indeed.

"Before I begin, however," Highwind continued, "it would seem that you fared a bit worse for wear by today's trials than I. Pray tell, have you been looked after by the healers?" Azure simply waved off his friend's concern.

"I'm fine, Highwind. It's nothing but a black eye. How I got it is part of the tale I have to share with you today, and that, my friend, is far more interesting than a bit of bruising and some bandages."

"Very well, if you say so. Now, shall I regale you with the entirety of the tale of our encounter with a manticore, or shall I simply jump straight to the part where I showed the beast who its better was?" Highwind had begun to puff himself up with a bit of pride at this point, but Azure knew it was mostly an act. Highwind at heart was a humble and loyal friend, but his admittance into the dragoons, along with his battle prowess, sometimes managed to get the better of him and go to his head. Azure, however, usually managed to reign him in and bring him back down to the ground, so to speak, before his ego got too large for his shoulders.

"Your name is Highwind, not Longwind. Just the short and sweet version, if you would. The sun continues on its course, and I doubt the solar magisters would hold it up long enough for your story to find its conclusion. I have to have enough time to manage to surmount your story with my own, as well." With that, Azure began the leisurely stroll towards Cornelia's inn, where most of the villagers would spend the late afternoons and evenings to relax after a day of toil. Highwind followed suit as he began his tale.

-=*=-

The manticore had various cuts and bruises along its hide, but none were too serious or life threatening, at least as long as they were looked after right away. The squad of guard ponies he was facing down, on the other hoof, weren't looking so well off. A couple of them were unconscious, knocked out cold from a swipe or two from the back of the great beat's paws, and most of the others were bleeding some, having gotten a bit too close to the fiend's claws for their own good. Highwind, among the guards, had managed to avoid the worst of the creature's attacks, but could not find an opening into which to focus his assault. His lance and his training did a good job of keeping the manticore at length, but it also let the beast fight defensively against him, using said distance to predict and block most of the pegasus' strikes. Highwind realized that this was getting him and his allies nowhere, and figured the beast would not expect an assault from above if he could get the others to get its attention long enough.

Highwind noticed three of the guards, Vicks, Wedge, and the sergeant in charge, Biggs, preparing a sneak attack from the manticore's blindside, and continued his parry and thrust routine with the beast, intent on keeping his attention long enough to let his allies succeed. The manticore flicked its ear at just the right moment, and turned to face the new threats right as Wedge charged forward with his sword clenched in his teeth. He lunged at the manticore, taking a swipe with his sword, and was met with the backside of the manticore's paw, tossing him off to the side and into the bark of a tree. Meanwhile, Vicks and Biggs had moved to the monstrosity's sides, working with each other to flank their opponent. The manticore's attention split between the two of them, the guards pressed forward, parrying and deflecting both claw and poisonously barbed tail as they worked to tire the beast out enough to find an opening. Just as they were about to press in for an attack, Vicks slipped on a piece of moss, losing his footing. Sensing this, the manticore lunged at him, catching Vicks off guard, and raked his claws across him, sending him flying and screaming as the pain of the wound took hold. Biggs, now no longer with the advantage of Vicks on the other side of the creature, gained the full attention of the beast, and took a single gulp as the manticore smiled a toothy grin at his soon-to-be lunch.

The manticore never got the chance, as Highwind came screaming out of the sky, a roar within his throat that shook both Biggs and the manticore down to their very cores in fear. The two of them looked up in time to see Highwind land on the manticore's back with a sickening crunch, lance plunged deeply into the beast's hide. Moments later, he jumped from his perch on the creature's back, wrenching his lance from the body of the beast. The manticore roared in pain as it took a swipe at Highwind. The pegasus managed to avoid it as he landed on the ground, turned, and let loose another roar of his own, this time accompanied by the fire of his fury at seeing his friends and allies laying strewn about like so many rag dolls. The gout of emerald flame that shot forth from his mouth pushed the manticore back and caught his fur on fire, scorching the beast even further. It tried to flee, but the combination of the wound from Highwind's assault from above, along with his fire, turned out to be too much, and the beast fell, overcome by the might of a dragon in pony form.

-=*=-

Azure Vessel stared at his friend in awe and wonderment. To confront a beast as great and powerful as a manticore and survive to tell the tale was indeed worthy of boast, but to be able to breathe as the dragons do, that was what set Highwind and the other dragoons apart, surely. However, one thing nagged at the back of his mind about his friend's tale.

"You tell of what the others did while you were in the sky," Azure began, "but tell me, how did you know what they did? Certainly, with the wounds they took that you described, they would be in no condition to tell you."

"You are aware," Highwind responded, "that pegasus eyesight is superior to that of unicorn or earthborne, but for the training needed to become a dragoon, we must be able to see as the dragon sees, hear as the dragon hears, and be as the dragon is. Everything my allies and my enemies do is but an open book to me, a play put on a stage that my actions narrate, and thus do I make my strike when and where I need to. The strain upon my body is great indeed, but the ability to strike as I please, and to command the fear of my opponents, is all but too well worth the cost."

"Indeed," Azure concluded, "it does seem as though the dragon knights have the prowess to leave a battlefield as broken and sundered as the dragons themselves do." The duo had arrived at the main square of the village, and the inn came into view as they continued their stroll through town, recanting their tales. "However, when you hear of what new magics I have discovered, you may just yet wish you had been born unicorn instead of pegasus, my high flying friend."

No sooner than that was said, and Highwind was about to give a response, than a scream of some mare shot out through the air of the village square. Azure Vessel and Highwind immediately perked up, sensing trouble on the way, and gathered what energy they had left for the day. It seemed that they weren't destined to share that drink just yet.