• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 1,205 Views, 19 Comments

Two Days Before We Graduate - LateToTheParty



Sunset's been troubled the last few days. Graduation looms near and Twilight doesn't even know that her time is running out.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,205

There's Still Much To Do.

At least, that was the plan. As it were, destiny saw fit to conspire against her.

She reaches forward, intent to nudge Sunset with a flying book from her spot on the couch. Sunset looks at her curiously. The finger directed at her has a strangely menacing quality that she couldn’t explain and she preemptively closes her eyes for something to happen. Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash, turn to face Twilight. Seconds pass in silence. Confusion slowly seeps through Twilight’s eyes and she looks down.

Her neck is empty.

“MY GEODE!” She exclaims.

Sunset opens her eyes panicked. Instinctively, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash glance downward, finding the same empty space between their collar bones.

“Shit!” Rainbow’s voice raises to a volume that would have aggravated her hangover if she hadn’t been completely distracted.

Rarity paws at her body with a small hope that it had gotten lost between the folds of her pajamas.

Fluttershy clasps her hands together worriedly as she stares at Sunset. “Our geodes have been stolen!”

Sunset holds up her hand and places the other on Fluttershy’s shoulder. “No one panic,” Sunset says. Her face holds a deep frown but her voice is commanding as she steps in the middle of her friends. “Let’s not jump to conclusions.”

“Considering everyone’s geodes disappeared at the same time, I think we can all safely jump to that conclusions,” Twilight counters with more bite than she intended.

Sunset flinches but concedes. “Okay. Good point,” she schools herself back into the mask of a military general, “and with graduation tomorrow, I think that you should all let me take care of this.”

“What?!” Four voices harmonize in outrage.

“Think about it.” Sunset begins pointing at the various girls in the room, panning around from her left to her right. “Rarity, you still have a few dresses you need to tailor and size. Fluttershy, you told Pinkie you would help her later after you made sure Rainbow was okay. Rainbow, Applejack is still waiting for you and she doesn’t care if you gave yourself a hangover.” She finally faces Twilight, her eyes flashing with a hint of guilt. “And you need to rehearse your valedictorian speech.”

The group thinks on the logic, briefly dwelling on how calm the redhead was being before biting their lips with resignation.

From the back of the room, Twilight hums and raises her hand. “Wait, what valedictorian speech?”

Confusion crosses Sunset’s face, as well as the rest of the girls, though Sunset’s facial change seems much more evident.

Sunset gapes for a moment and it’s Rarity that speaks. “Well darling, you are the smartest student in our grade. That means you’re tasked with delivering the valedictory for our class, correct?”

Twilight shakes her head. “Ordinarily, yes, but because I was only a student for part of a year, Principal Celestia gave it to someone else.”

“So that means you can help Sunset find our stuff, right?” Rainbow asks, excited for the first time that morning.

Twilight nods. “Of course.”

Sunset had gotten pale through the course of the short conversation but pulls together a passable smile when everyone else turns to look at her. “Awesome,” she says. “I’ll pick you up after you’re done with your dress-fitting at Rarity’s.” She turns to the fashionista. “That’ll be like…half an hour or so?”

Rarity nods. “About, yes.”

A bit of tension eases out of Sunset’s body. “Good. Well, we better get to it. We still have a lot of things to do before graduation.”

They all spring into action, throwing on clothes and brushing hair with as much efficiency as they could muster. They shoulder their packs with only the necessities. They leave the scattered sleeping bags and discarded clothes on the floor.

Naturally, Rainbow is the first and stands by the wooden frame, urging the rest onward with agitation. “Come on!”

“Coming.” Fluttershy responds, springing forward, followed shortly by Rarity.

Twilight stands up as well but looks between the door and Sunset.

“Twilight! Stop gawking at your girlfriend. You’ll see her later.”

The girl doesn’t seem to notice as she churns through her thoughts. Sunset tilts her head and is surprised by Twilight’s sudden lunge.

Before Sunset could blink, her vision is engulfed in purple. Her head jerks forward to meet soft lips as Twilight yanks on the collar of her shirt. Thoughts of the night before prepare her and she’s determined to make the kiss last. Her eyes drift close and she pushes herself forward. Something wet and warm presses between her lips and she gasps when she realizes that it’s a silent request for her to open her mouth. Twilight’s tongue begins a sloppy, inexperienced perusal of her mouth, making her shiver.

Delighted cheering breaks the two apart. Fluttershy and Rarity are holding each other as they scream, wide grins on their faces. Rainbow Dash is throwing a mild glare at them for causing such a reaction a mere foot from her ear.

She sighs and crosses her arms. “Can we go now, or can we go now?”

Twilight blushes and runs forward, leaving a blissful Sunset on cloud nine.

They quickly pile into Rarity’s car with Rainbow Dash hopping into the backseat with Twilight. Fluttershy spares a look back but says nothing as she takes the front.

Twilight straps the seat belt across her lap as she frowns.

“Hey,” Rainbow says, leaning so that only Twilight could hear. “Why did you take Sunset’s notebook?”

Twilight flinches but doesn’t bother hiding the yellow, wire-bound book that she’d swiped during their kiss.

“She’s hiding something, Rainbow,” she responds.

“That’s not a very good reason to pry. If it was important, don’t you think she’d tell us?”

Twilight’s grip tightens on the notebook, bending it in her hand. “If it’s important, she’ll tell only who she thinks needs to be told.”

Rainbow doesn’t know how to respond so she nods as she leans on the car door. She watches Twilight from the corner of her eyes and notices how her fingers tremble all the way to Rarity's home, poised to open the notebook but never so much as cracking it.


Author's Note:

Short, I know, but I hope the bonus picture makes up for it. I've been distracted but stay tuned. It's getting really juicy.