• Published 18th Nov 2018
  • 1,204 Views, 19 Comments

Two Days Before We Graduate - LateToTheParty



Sunset's been troubled the last few days. Graduation looms near and Twilight doesn't even know that her time is running out.

  • ...
4
 19
 1,204

Are You Ready...

Twilight manages to pull into the roundabout in front of Canterlot High, startling just the girl she was looking for, shaving both the life expectancy of said girl and Rarity’s tires in the process.

The screech of the breaks are horrible and Twilight cringes as she climbs out of the car.

“What the…,” Sunset begins, but cuts herself off as Twilight’s unreadable face comes into view. Her strides are purposeful and certain as she advances forward.

“I thought you were going to pick me up,” she demands, crossing her arms.

“Yeah…I…umm…,” Sunset mumbles, wide eyes panicked and for the first time, Twilight can tell that it’s not faked. She waits for a moment as Sunset slowly deflates like a balloon held half open. She fumbles for words, opening her mouth and shutting it several times before finally voicing a thought. “How much do you know?”

“How much is there to know?”

Like she’s lost control of her face, Sunset gapes again and Twilight feels a bit of relief at the genuine show of emotion.

A moment passes between them while the wind ruffles the grassy field and swipes across the cold surface of the plinth of the destroyed statue. Sunset bites her lip and faces away from Twilight, sitting down and facing the portal to Equestria.

“Can you sit with me?” Sunset asks.

Twilight nibbles on her lip but takes the open space next to her.

“I should have known you’d figure it out,” she says. “I should have known I fucked up when I didn’t even check if everyone was asleep, especially since I know your brain never really turns off.” Twilight begins to open her mouth in question but Sunset smirks in her direction. “The coke bottles on your face.” She flicks Twilight’s thick frames, the nail of her finger clicking against the plastic. “You only take them off when you’re sure you’re going to sleep. The moonlight that reflected off of them almost blinded me when I was heading out.”

“Heading out to where you went this morning?”

“Yeah. I had to get the geodes to the Princesses so that they could start…well, you know.”

“Ut Redi Domus…To Return Home…”

“Yeah. I guess were a little behind schedule.”

Twilight recoils sucking in a gasp, horrified at the flippant attitude. “How can you even say that? You’re talking about stealing magic from us, leaving us, leaving…” She cuts herself off, shaking her head. “What are you even doing any of this for?”

Sunset tucks herself into a ball, resting her chin on her knees as she hugs them tightly. “Do you know how many people have stumbled on Equestrian magic since its started randomly giving them away to people?

Twilight thinks, taking a moment to count in her head. “4?”

Sunset breaths something that could have been a laugh or a sob but it was too quiet to distinguish. “There have been 27, minus you guys. You wouldn’t know about the others because I took care of them myself. There was no way I was going to involve anyone else again after Vignette unknowingly almost murdered an entire crowd of people.”

Twilight tries to speak but her vast wellspring of words fail her, leaving her to sputter random sounds of surprise.

“I don’t know what it is about this rogue magic, but it takes the most pronounced desire of a person and warps it into something messed up.”

“Well, what about the girls? I may have messed up but the girls have never once fallen under that kind of thing.”

“Princess Twilight has a theory about that too.” Sunset sighs, rubbing at her tired eyes. “You once mentioned that geodes were connecting us but that’s not true. Five of them were already connected through the Princess, the only other creature equipped to handle raw magic. Then, I became friends with everyone. Another magical creature. An Equestrian.”

Twilight swallows thickly, nodding her head in understanding, not that Sunset pays it any mind.

“I guess the short answer to why I’m doing any of this is that Equestrian magic needs to go back to Equestria where it belongs.

“…Including you?”

Sunset turns towards Twilight with a raised brow and a blank expression. “I’m a unicorn,” she deadpans. “I need to go back.”

“And nothing we say on this subject matters?”

“You took my notebook. You know what’s going to happen. You tell me. In the end, does it matter?”

“OF COURSE IT MATTERs!”

“Even if—.”

“YES! EVEN IF…” Twilight’s throat constricts, cutting off her tirade as she averts her teary eyes. “Even if…” In an uncharacteristic fit of anger and frustration, she turns to Sunset and shoves her into the ground. It hadn’t hurt, considering they were already seated but enough force was behind it to startle the other girl. “This isn’t right! We should have a say! If the girls were here, do you think they’d be happy about any of this?! They would be heartbroken.”

“I know. I’m sorry, Twilight. I wanted to spare you from this the most.”

“SHUT UP! SHUT! UP! YOU DUMB PONY ALIEN! SHUT UP! YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING.”

Sunset pushes herself up slowly. Her brows knit together, sadly gathering Twilight’s crying form into her chest and holding her close. Twilight struggles and weakly attempts to hit at any part of Sunset that she could reach, her angry rambles devolving into nothing more than hysteric sobs.

“I’m so sorry, Twilight. I’m so sorry.”

“Did you at least mean it when you said you loved me?”

“Every word. I wish we could have at least gone on one date.”

“Then don’t go. Just stay. Please.”

Sunset doesn’t respond for a long moment, opting to tighten her arms around Twilight, memorizing the way their bodies mold together and how the scent tickles her nose.

Leaning forward, Sunset whispers a quiet plea into Twilights ear. “Can I kiss you without it being a distraction for either of us? Just once?”

A hint of a laugh escapes her voice and Twilight can’t help but sob.

“I have snot on my face.” Twilight looks up at Sunset and sees her flash a brilliant smile.

“Gross,” Sunset says and leans in.

It was salty and bitter from Twilight’s tears, but Sunset pours ever shred of emotion into the kiss. Every word that she couldn’t say. Every sentiment that she should have said. Wishes that she’d prayed for. Dreams that would never be fulfilled. Anguish about the unfairness. Gratitude that it happened. She apologized to Twilight a million times over in that kiss, and thanked her in the same breath.

And when Twilight opened her eyes, she couldn’t help questioning the pleasant tingle on her lips, or the aching pit in her chest.

What…happened? She asks. Was I talking to someone?

She shifts her head around, spotting no one and admonishes herself for the strange action. Of course not. Gosh. I guess graduation preparations are getting to me.

She starts walking towards Rarity’s car.

…Why did I even take this? What is going on?

She hops in the car, her mind hazy and sluggish. As she tries to remember the events that prompted her to take her friends car and drive to the school.

In the rear view, she looks at the Canterlot High’s main building shrinking in the distance.

I guess I’m going to miss Canterlot High more than I thought I would.

Twilight sighs, pushing away the strange emotions in her chest and turns on the radio.

Maybe Rainbow Dash and Applejack could use some help today.

Author's Note:

And there's all the puzzle pieces...

It was really fun conceptualizing all of this and writing it down. I'm not sure how well I did but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Let me know if there was something that didn't make sense. I'll probably explain it down in the comments section.

There's one last chapter coming up but until then, I hope you guys are having a good day.

~LTTP

Comments ( 11 )
CSC

So...........

Sounds like sunset used her mind reading powers to take memories away

........ is there gonna be a sequel?:fluttercry:

last updated 3rd Jan 2019

user last active July 23rd 2020

I guess this is ANOTHER fic for the graveyard then. Im really glad I never bothered to read this since its another story with a good concept that will never have an ending.

The ending well kind of ending is so mest up I didn’t figured out what happen till I read it a few more times and now dam Sunset why you have to do that

10585775
...
I hate graveyard fics.

Give me a week, I'm going to finish this story myself.

10704172
Please do. Ive seen way to many good fics go dead with no explanation.

WHERE IS THE PROMISED LAST CHAPTERRRRRR! NOOOO😭

10794884
You're telling me. Not only was it left on a pretty sad cliffhanger, but the author specifically said he had one more chapter, indicating he actually was about to finish it before he left.

If I have the time, I'm going to go ahead and finish this story, but as it stands I got other fics on my plate rn

Login or register to comment