• Published 22nd Oct 2018
  • 402 Views, 48 Comments

The Witches of Moonlight Lake - Phoenix Heart 27



500 years ago, a trio of witches were found out and incinerated for their heinous crimes. 500 years later, three young mares discover a shocking secret.

  • ...
4
 48
 402

Ch. III: Home (Solange)

(4 Days Later…)

The calmness of the early morning hours of a warm Saturday in June was soon shattered by the shrill cries of a baby as the door of a brown brick apartment opens and out comes a slightly worse-for-wear Solange levitating two bags of garbage into the trash bins out front. On her back, in a carrier, was a small 2 month old foal currently crying. Trying her hardest, she maneuvered her blood red aura to attempt to pick up the crying foal. After barely managing to pick him up a few feet in the air, her magic failed her and she quickly grabbed onto the now scared foal as she tried to soothe him back to calm. Turning back towards the apartment, the pair went back inside.

“Everything okay?”, An older mare asked as Solange put the little one in his bouncer chair before sitting down next to it in a chair.

“It's fine, Ma. Apollo just needs a bottle then a bath. Isn't that right little stinky colt!” Solange paused as she nuzzled the baby and attached a pump to one of her now exposed teats “Honestly, was it this hard with me? I couldn't have been this difficult!?”, She finished as the bottle attached to the pump began to fill.

“Well, it is your foal. I should expect no less of a big mouth. After all, for your first 6 months of life, you were a loud baby. Then you kinda mellowed out after you hit 7 months and started crawling and your magic? Please. Girl your magic was out of control from the moment you were born. Of course it didn't help anything when your first words was a weather hex that you promptly used on your older cousin.”, Her mother, Sammy Bridleway spoke from the kitchen as she made breakfast.

“Oh yeah. I forgot that's what happened the day I first spoke real words. I also seem to remember that hex being my favorite throughout my first 5 years of life along with others.”, Solange replied as the bottle filled completely and the pump stopped. She then screwed the top back on and promptly levitated it into a pot of boiling water to heat up. Unfortunately, her mother noticed the color of her aura was different.

“What's wrong with your magic?”, Sammy asked with a concerned face.

“N-nothing! Nope! My magic is fine.”, Solange replied as she cancelled out of her magic.

“Uhh yeah it is. Because your aura is blue, like your eyes yet today it's blood red. Why? And I want the truth. Now.”, Sammy said with a glare only a mother can give to a foal.

Realizing she couldn't hide it anymore, Solange told her mother everything while her son drank his bottle. From what’s been happening to her magic lately up until what she, Terra and Amaris had discovered in the old cabin near Moonlight Lake. She then brushed it off as she got up while picking up her son to burp him.

“I dunno why you seem to be so interested in what’s up with me, but I’ll assure you I am fine!”, Solange said in an almost hostel tone as she dug into a beat up old suitcase to retrieve a onesie for Apollo and a fresh diaper.

“Okay! Damn. Relax. However I am concerned about your magic. As well as this surge of magic that you’ve had with this...book? Can I see it?”, Sammy asked, ignoring her daughter's frosty tone.

Sighing, she set Apollo back in his playpen/crib before going over to her saddlebags on the couch. Searching through the them, she failed to notice that the hoodie she had been wearing, had slid up her back, exposing her flanks.

IN THE NAME OF CELESTIA, WHAT HAPPENED TO YOUR CUTIE-MARK?!?!?”, Sammy all but screamed as she saw the caldron on her daughter's flanks where a sunflower used to be.

“Uhhh….I...ummm...I honestly have no clue. It happened right after me, Terra and Amaris got practically body slammed into the floor by this book.”, Solange said honestly as she held out the book and the shrunken caldron.

Shakely, Sammy grasped onto the book and caldron before telling Solange to go wash Apollo up and take him to the park for a while. After making sure her daughter and grandson were as far away from their apartment as possible (for the moment), Sammy rushed to her cell phone and dialed a group call.

“Hey Diana, Bundty Cake? Have you two gotten a really good look at your girls’ lately?”, Sam asked as soon as there were answers.

“No. Why?”, Was the immediate response from both mothers.

“Because I...I think...it's time.”, Sammy said with a shaky tone.