• Published 16th Aug 2018
  • 275 Views, 2 Comments

Sunset Shimmer: Her Life in Equestria - wildfirewolf123



Have you ever wondered what Sunset Shimmer's life was life before we meet her for the first time in Equestria Girls? Well, here is your answer.

  • ...
 2
 275

Practice Makes Perfect

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! I had a really fun time writing this! I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it! Enjoy!

Sunset Shimmer concentrated very hard on the thick hard cover novel, Predictions and Prophecies, that was sitting on the beautiful oak table. Come on, book. Rise already! Please, rise? For me? No matter how hard she concentrated, no matter how hard she wished, Sunset could never seem to get this right. The little filly stared at the book, her eyes squinted and her tongue poked out of the corner of her mouth in concentration. Come on! Come on! Come on! Come on! Come on! Come on!, she thought to herself, you can do this, Sunset Shimmer. You are a unicorn. You were born to do magic, right? That is correct.

Suddenly, an aquamarine spark dropped from the tip of her horn and landed on the book. Was this when she would get her cutie mark? She hoped so. She had been waiting so long for this moment! Sunset stared in awe as the spark lengthened into an aura that then surrounded the book. She gasped. The aura fizzed, growing brighter with every second. The book rose, rose, rose, before crashing back down onto the table.

Sunset frowned in frustration. "I will never get this right, no matter how hard I try to!" She stared at the book. "Why can't you just do what I want you to do for once?" All of a sudden, the aquamarine aura surrounded the book once more before the book burst into ashes. Sunset scowled. Are you kidding me? Sunset went to her room, more frustrated than ever before. She wished that a hole would just open up in the centre of her room and swallow her up, her attempted magic never to be thought of or talked about by any pony ever again.

She sighed and lay down on her bed, pondering about what could've possibly went wrong with a simple levitation spell such as the one she had been trying to perform with the book. I think I did everything properly... The yellow-orange filly shook her head. Just thinking isn't good enough, you silly filly! You need to know! I'll never get into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns if I can't even to a simple, first-level levitation spell! What good is a unicorn who can't even make something as simple as a book levitate? No good, no good at all.

She heard her mother, Stellar Flare, enter the house, her hooves clip clopping on the shiny wood floor. Sunset then heard her mother's hooves come up the stairs to her room. She then knocked on the door very lightly with her hoof. "Sunset dear? Are you in there?" Sunset got up off of her bed and trotted toward the door to meet her mother.

"HI, mom! How was work today?" Sunset Shimmer's mother was a chairpony on the Sire's Hollow Town Council.

"It was great, dear. How was your day? What did you do today? Also, where is your father at the moment, dear?" Sunset Shimmer had to think for a moment, her hoof to her chin, to try and remember where her father was, then replied to her mother.

"My day was... great. I tried to practice some spells today, mom. They didn't work out quite so good though," Sunset finished, weeping. Stellar Flare put a hoof under her daughter's chin and lifted her head up from the pit of her wallowing.

"What spells did you practice, Sunset?" Sunset Shimmer couldn't tell if her mother was concerned for her or not. Sunset answered her mother, despite her confusion of her mother's tone.

"Just some simple levitation spells that I... failed at." Sunset Shimmer looked down at her small yellow-orange hooves. Sunset's mother took her face in her hoof again.

"No, no, my filly. You didn't fail. You just need more practice, that is all, dear." Sunset Shimmer hugged her mother.

"Than you mom," she whispered.

"No problem, filly." Her mother broke away from the calming embrace quite quickly. She trotted around the small room. "Sunset, where is your father?" The filly had forgotten to tell her mother where her father was, and now she didn't remember where he was.

Where is my father? I know he told me earlier where he was going to be today, I just don't remember where it was that he said he was going to be. Then the small yellow filly remembered where her father had told her he was going to be today.

"He's in the basement, I think."

"Okay. Thank you filly." Her mother exited the room and turned around to say one last thing. "Practice makes perfect." Stellar Flare smiled at her daughter then exited the bedroom.

Sunset Shimmer could hear her mother trotting down the stairs to the main floor, and then the ones that led into the basement cellar. I wonder why she is so desperate to talk to Daddy. The foal shrugged it off, concluding that she was just going to see what her husband was doing. Stellar Flare's words rang in young Sunset Shimmer's ears, hurting them and feeling as if they were scorching her brain. Practice makes perfect, practice makes perfect, practice makes perfect. Her mother's words echoed loudly through her mind. It was so distracting that the young filly had to shake her head to clear it. Mother is right. I need to practice and study every day if I want to be good enough to get into Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns. Sunset Shimmer walked over to her bookshelf getting her book called Principles of Magic. I will practice and study! I will study more than anypony has ever studied in the history of Equestria! The filly kept her word. Sunset Shimmer studied. She studied in the morning before breakfast. She studied during breakfast. The young filly studied all day, filling her day hours with many pages, words, and spells. She wanted to memorize every single spell in her book. She wanted to memorize all the spells in Equestria! She would be the most talented unicorn that Equestria had ever seen!