• Published 12th Aug 2018
  • 734 Views, 17 Comments

Aeterna Solara - The Dawn of a New Equestria - Etherium-Apex



As the young newly crowned Princess Celestia adjusts to her new role as leader of Equestria, an ancient threat emerges. As she strives to keep her subjects safe, she finds herself in a more profound struggle - the conflict of love and immortality.

  • ...
0
 17
 734

Journey Through the Universe

Night fell across the lands of Equestria, and after an evening of bliss with Silver Brighthoof, Celestia returned home to rest. Before returning to her quarters, she happened upon Aurelius in their courtyard outside of the dining hall. He appeared like a torch among the pale trees and the cold stone, like a single spot of warmth and comfort among darkness. He had seated himself at a table across the fountain, a chess board laid out before him. Despite lacking another player, he was content with idly moving the pieces on his own, perhaps coming up with new strategies. Aurelius then noticed Celestia's presence, and turned his attention to her with a smile.

"Good evening, Celestia!" Aurelius said. "Would you like to join me?"

"You know I'm not very good at chess, Father," Celestia said, returning his smile.

"There's no need to be good, my dear. Consider it a great chance to learn, and a demonstration of strategy."

"Well, why not?" Celestia took a seat across from Aurelius, taking control of the board's black pieces.

"And hey, maybe this time you'll be able to defeat me!"

The pieces were then reset, and the game began. Aurelius made his first move, and Celestia followed. After many calculated moves, Celestia once more heard that dreaded word. "Checkmate."

Celestia huffed and crossed her arms as Aurelius smirked. "It was a lot closer this time," he said.

"And yet the outcome remains the same," Celestia said. "What is it that I'm missing?"

Aurelius reset the pieces once more with his magic. "Strategy, my dear. You'll never win if you continue simply moving any piece you like." He then moved his pawn forward one space. "You're fighting a war, and you must protect your material. Use your more disposable infantries to guard your more valuable royalty and fortress. Use these" - he held up a pawn - "with much more freedom than, say, your rook. Move your king's pawn forward now, by two spaces."

Celestia did so, intrigued but also somewhat confused. "Why that pawn specifically?"

"Your best goal is to form a strong defensive position, and by moving your king's and queen's pawns forward, your bishops will be left open and it'll be easier for you to castle your king. You need to be able to think ahead when planning your moves in a battlefield, and you need to be able to set things up in your favor. Your first few moves are always the most important. Think about how things will play out four or five moves ahead from now whenever you're about to move another piece."

After many more moves and heeding Aurelius' advice, Celestia found it easier to take control of the board and get closer to his king. "Ha, checkmate!" she said excitedly, and Aurelius leaned back and slowly clapped.

"Apparently that was all it took to be defeated," Aurelius said. "Congratulations, you finally bested your father at chess!"

"Don't worry, Father," Celestia laughed. "I'm sure you'll beat me again someday. Thank you for helping me beat you!"

"No problem!" Aurelius said with a laugh. "So, my daughter, I couldn't help but notice you stopped in Ponyville for a while before returning home. I assume you were visiting your new friend?"

Celestia felt her heart flutter a bit after hearing the question. "Oh, um, yeah," she said, "I wanted to visit Silver for some time. After so much hardship, it felt well-earned." Celestia looked up to the sky, a peaceful smile on her face. "Every moment was perfect, Father. There's something about that stallion that pulls me in, makes me feel warm and at peace."

"Ah, well..." Aurelius formed a half-smile. "That's excellent to hear, my dear, but... Be wary of his advances. Don't allow your heart to venture too far into his clutches, until he is no longer merely a friend."

Celestia broke her gaze at the stars and shifted her focus to her father, her smile fading. "But... What do you mean?"

"I would not advise giving this stallion your love, my daughter. You will find only pain if you do so."

Celestia felt a weight gaining on her heart, and found it difficult to speak. "Well, I'm afraid it's too late for that..."

Aurelius stood from the table, his smile gone, and approached the courtyard balcony overlooking the darkened landscape below. Only speckles of light from Ponyville could be seen, glimmering and penetrating the cover of night. "Forgive my lack of understanding, dear Celestia," Aurelius said, "But do you mean to say that you feel love for this stallion you've met?"

Celestia stood as well. She started to approach Aurelius' side, but stopped, instead dwelling among a sea of confusion at her father's reaction to this bit of news. "He makes me feel a sense of happiness I've never felt before," she said. "I may soon be the one to raise and lower the sun's heat, but only Silver Brighthoof may shine its warmth on my heart."

"I understand that you may feel that way, Celestia, but you must understand. There is no light or happiness at the end of this road, or any other road love may take you." He then turned to face her. "You mustn't continue this path. Please, trust in your father's wisdom."

"How can I, Father, when it pains me to even hear it?" Celestia's eyes welled. "I had thought you would be happy for me, but you would instead ask your daughter to abandon the first taste of love she ever has because of some vague prediction!"

"These feelings are clouding your judgment, Celestia," Aurelius said more sternly, approaching her trembling figure. "You are a princess now. You cannot afford to become attached to anyone."

"Am I alone there, Father? Might your own judgment still be clouded by Galaxia's passing, enough to feel driven to deprive your own daughter of love in case she is hurt by death's curse as well?"

Aurelius was taken aback by this sudden claim, responding with a wide-eyed shock. "What? This... This has nothing to do with Lady Galaxia!"

"Is this why you never told us about what happened to her for all these years? Would you be so brave as to have me live a life of isolation had she not been taken from you? What do you think she would say if I had told her that I found love?"

"Do not speak to me," Aurelius said, raising his voice, "like I don't know my own mother!"

"Your grief is not mine!"

"My mother was loyal to our family!" Aurelius shouted, the idle flame from his mane and tail swelling into a roaring blaze. "Not some common peasant's plaything!"

Celestia was stumped into silence, and could only stare speechless at Aurelius. His appearance idled once more, and the fire faded from his eyes.

"Celestia, I... I didn't mean..."

Celestia began to slowly back away as he attempted to approach her, tears falling from her eyes, and then ran back inside.


Princess Luna's hooves fell frigid as she landed, a dark and empty world blanketed in snow surrounding her. Black mountains to the north, an empty unfocused void to the south. Up ahead, she spotted a single blackened decrepit cabin and braved the flurry to go inside.

The interior gave way to an expansive black abyss, and Luna spread her wings to stay afloat. No end could immediately be seen, but as she pressed on, she began to feel colder and colder. Shivering and consumed by the blackness, Luna searched in all directions for a spot of light or a sign, anything to let her out. As she continued to search, she felt a drop of wetness land on her chin. Then many more drops landed on the underside of her body, and rain began to fall seemingly upwards. She looked up and saw that land had formed, and flipped around for a much desired respite from flying.

The reddened landscape appeared barren, rocky, and lifeless. Rain fell from a still blackened sky, the horizon illuminated by a red sun and a blue star. The scent of petrichor filled Luna's nose as she once more attempted to gain her bearings, until she finally spotted a familiar figure in the distance ahead. It was Celestia, sitting among the badlands and facing away from Luna. Her entire form appeared to be drooping; her head hung low, her hair soaked, her wings flaccid, and her body motionless. Her coat glowed red from the sinister glow of the dying sun.

Luna took her side and saw that she was crying. She sat down next to Celestia, who then looked up and saw her.

"Cold now are the wind and the weather," Celestia said in her broken wavering voice, looking back at the ground. "A twinge of shadow, a torrent of rain. This is where I shall lie, and so shall it end in dust and despair."

"My dear sister, what has happened to you?"

"My heart has been smitten by a stallion from afar, only for our father to step in between us. He called him a... common peasant."

"You..." Luna started, but determined that Celestia was already upset enough. "Are you sure he meant it? Is there any context to that?"

"He wished to extend his pain onto me, to spare me the grief of his loss by keeping me away from the world. Oh, Luna, I had so hoped that he would support my newfound love, but instead all he carries in his mind is Galaxia."

"Celestia, that makes no sense," Luna said. "These are two different types of love. Our father misses his mother, yes, but not for the sake of any romance. It would seem more to me like you upset him by mentioning Galaxia, and that he has another reason for his disapproval. You must speak with him when you can, and find out if he really means what he said about this stallion you've found."

"There can be no mistake," Celestia said. "He said it himself. I cannot become attached to anyone. This is to be my fate. Alone in a waste, among the ruins of all that once was and all that could ever be."

"Oh, quit feeling so sorry for yourself, my sister," Luna said. "Just talk with Father. Find out what he meant, learn his true feelings about this stallion and your love for him. And don't mention Galaxia again."

The rain then stopped, and Celestia's posture began to straighten. "You're right, Luna," she said. "I wasn't really thinking about that. I was just so shocked... Maybe he did just say what he did out of fury. There must be another reason for this. I must not feel sorry for myself."

Celestia stood, and the dimmed sun before them began to glow bright. With a white flash it burst into a thousand shards, and showered the crimson valley with a gleaming crystalline hail. "Come with me, Luna," Celestia said, looking back to Luna, who appeared mesmerized by the light show. "Let us explore the cosmos once more."

The ground below them shattered and fell into nothingness, and the blackness sparkled with the glow of countless stars. The dark clouds hanging above lost their gloom, illuminating with many hues. At once, they scattered into every corner of creation, forming from the ether a bright new galaxy. The remaining blue star was then a comet of ice and iron, destined to forever sail the divinity of Celestia's mind with its blazing tail of cool flame. Celestia took Luna's hoof and soared ahead to take control of the comet, finding on its surface a glistening orchestration of glassy monoliths and silvery formations.

With their foothold on the comet, the universe raced above them as they traversed the new wheel of the heavens. An explosion of supernovae, nebulae, and spiraling gases filled their vision with endless color. Their bodies resounded the energy of the celestial forces presented to them. A single tear fell from Luna's eyes as she took in the images of splendor, filled with awe and disbelief.

Their ride stopped in the presence of a ringed violet gas planet, and the diamond monoliths on their cosmic vessel melted into clear iridescent waters. Celestia and Luna stood waist-deep in one of many pools of water that then populated the metallic surface of the comet. The dim purple light from the body in the sky, along with the wisps of blue encircling the comet, reflected on their surroundings.

"This is what I visit your dreams to see, dear sister," Luna said quietly, watching the planet above them. "I cannot begin to grasp how you so easily conceive of imagery such as this."

"You are always welcome, Luna," Celestia said with a newfound smile. "It certainly is a beautiful escape from the troubles of reality. The attack, the argument with our father, the duties of being princess, all seem so far away."

"And yet so close," Luna said. "A fleeting but welcome escape from very real responsibility."

"Have you made any progress with raising the moon, out of curiosity?"

"Well... No. I've tried every night since our coronation, but... It always escapes me. As soon as I feel as if I've gotten hold of the moon, it slips away. It's maddening!"

"I've not had much luck either, though granted I have only tried once. Just keep trying, dear sister. You'll get there eventually." Celestia looked outward to the planet filling most of the dark sky. "Or, perhaps you'd like to learn to control this planet instead?"

"I think that's a little too outside of my ability, Celestia," Luna said with a chuckle. "Why don't you do it? It is your dream after all."

"I think not. I rather like it. It's beautiful."

"It is, definitely."

"There is something I need to tell you though, Luna," Celestia said, turning to face Luna with a more somber expression.

"What is it?" Luna asked, facing her sister with concern.

"Closer."

Luna waded through the pool and came face to face with Celestia, looking into her eyes. "What is it you need to tell me?"

Luna was then suddenly soaked by a splash of water, and she could hear Celestia laughing. "Hey!" Her eyebrows furrowed for a moment, and she relaxed her expression to instead return the favor and splash Celestia back. The sounds abruptly stopped, replaced with Luna's own amusement. A playful exchange of teasing and laughter then followed, with each of them tossing water from the pool at each other until they were both drenched. They calmed after a few moments, and laid on all fours.

"Well, I sense that morning is coming, so I must take my leave," Luna said, shaking off some of the water. "Thank you, dear sister, for another beautiful night."

"You are most welcome, dear Luna! I'll see you in the morning shortly."

Luna dematerialized into a black mist, and Celestia closed her eyes.


When her eyes re-opened, Celestia was back in her room, in her soft cozy bed. She looked out the window, and the sky glowed faintly red with the impending dawn. It was time to raise the sun, and Celestia knew exactly where Aurelius would be.

She reached the top balcony of their castle, where the door to her father's quarters laid ajar. Celestia crept slowly past the ornate golden bed and its red silky linens, and past the smoldering fireplace across the room to make a cautious approach to Aurelius. Celestia took a seat by his side, and they both looked to the mountains in silence. After a few wordless moments, she decided to speak.

"I'm sorry." Unexpectedly, her apology was simultaneously met with her father's, both speaking at the same time.

"I should not have insulted your significant one like that, Celestia," Aurelius said with a sigh. "Nor did I mean what I said. I was just... so angry."

"No, I'm the one who's sorry," Celestia said. "I knew that your mother's passing is a sensitive topic for you, and I still brought it up out of emotional upset. It sounded to me like you intended to stop me from finding love because you were hurting."

"While my father Magnus was away fighting war beyond war to protect the Empire, my mother Galaxia elected to remain at home and raise me. She was the one person I knew the most during her time, and she taught me everything she knew of diplomacy and leadership. Magnus used his time with me to prepare me for war as well, and passed down his mastery of the sun. As our power faded, and as my father withered from his age, the varying nations of the world grew tired of their inactions and inability to govern effectively and revolted.

"Years of endless bloodshed followed; while they were dissatisfied with our leadership, they had forgotten our military might. Many of our battles were one-sided, adding to their tragedy. The nation of the zebras, the city-states under the ocean, the crystal ponies to the north. They knew what they had summoned, and many resigned to their fate. Amid the prayers and the screams, none could resist the power of the Solar Empire and their cities in the sky.

"Victory was near, and my mother and I fought one of the few final battles in the southern desert with our armies. Magnus joined as we cleared the battlefield, but to our dismay, Lady Galaxia was among the slain. My father's cries of misery still echo in my mind to this day... the faces of fear from every living thing I mercilessly slaughtered, the flooding of tears from the Emperor's eyes, Galaxia's look of gentle slumber as her heart lay pierced by sharpened steel.

"And all for naught. Without Galaxia, Magnus was unable to maintain the Empire with his magic. His magnificent city splintered apart and plummeted to the earth, and the revolutionaries got what they wanted. A treaty of independence, and our sovereign territory of Equestria, bequeathed to me. With Galaxia's passing, everything was lost. Magnus lost his empire and his ability to remain in the mortal plane, and I lost a loving and caring mother."

Celestia could see the torment in Aurelius' eyes, as they darted around searching for something to focus on. "I'm so sorry, Father," she said softly, "I see now why it's so hard for you. Her passing was like a cataclysm, it would seem. But you need not take it so harshly. You were not responsible for her death, and she still lives on in memory and spirit."

Aurelius turned and looked into his daughter's eyes with his own misty, sorrowful gaze. "No son or daughter, young or old, should be robbed of their parents..." His features tightened, his eyes clenched shut, and his breathing spasmed as he wet the floor below with his grief. He covered his face as he continued to sob, and Celestia wrapped her wings around him in an attempt to comfort him. She shed a tear of empathy herself, and gently rocked him back and forth while leaning on his shoulder. In that moment his walls were gone, and Celestia kept him secure.