• Published 12th Jul 2018
  • 710 Views, 39 Comments

Shopping Spree Day - Lets Do This



You'd think a simple, all-day, no-holds-barred shopping spree in Ponyville wouldn't be all that complicated -- but this is Twilight and her friends we're talking about, so nothing is ever that simple!

  • ...
0
 39
 710

Games Princesses Play

As she watched the approaching chariots, Twilight suddenly noticed Zecora standing beside her. The zebra leaned close to whisper:

\ It seems you have an answer got. \
\ So I shall return to my forest plot! \

Twilight nodded. "Oh, of course! And thanks very much for joining us, Zecora!"

The zebra herbalist bowed her head. Then she gave Twilight that same evaluating look, but with a smile as well. She turned away and set off at a steady pace, heading back toward the Everfree Forest and her home.

In short order, the chariots were circling the Square as their teams picked out a landing area. Then they settled into place, amidst crowds of ponies who were gathering to stare and comment.

The two chariots were empty.

The teams of flyers looked at Twilight and her friends expectantly.

No, Twilight realized with a chill. Me! They're looking at me!

Swallowing, she stepped forward and addressed the lead flyers.

"Uh, thank you for coming so quickly, sirs! Will you do us the honor of transporting me and my friends to Canterlot City? Uh, please?"

"Yes, ma'am!" the flyers replied smartly, in unison.

Quickly, the ponies sorted themselves out between the two chariots. In the end, they had Twilight, Spike, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash riding in Luna's chariot, and Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Derpy riding Celestia's. As the flyers called out to each other and prepared to depart, Twilight took up station at the front of Luna's chariot. Then she looked across at the other, and found Derpy had taken up similar station on Celestia's, with the others arranged around her. Derpy smiled happily back at Twilight, as if it was all just some wonderful game to her.

The flight back to Canterlot City was similarly rapid. The ponies all hung on the railings, watching the landscape pass below them, feeling the swift wind ruffling their manes and tails. Twilight, however, was furiously thinking, trying to come up with an explanation to give Princess Celestia that wouldn't sound completely scatterbrained.

She glanced over at the other chariot, and saw Derpy was leaning forward, eyes shut, revelling in the feel of the breeze ruffling her mane and feathers. Then she looked across at Twilight, and gave a wink.

Twilight sat back, trying to calm herself down.

The chariots circled the city and swiftly settled to a landing. Twilight suddenly realized she hadn't told the flyers where they wanted to go. Were they heading to the palace? No, they were setting down in the middle of Diamond Avenue.

Right in front of Joe's Donut Shop.

And standing waiting for them, accompanied by guards and a small crowd of curious onlookers, were the tall, regal figures of ivory-white Princess Celestia, and night-blue Princess Luna.

The ponies quickly climbed down from the chariots and assembled in front of the Princesses. As one, they knelt respectfully to them. All except for Twilight, who as Celestia's personal student had dispensation not to. And Derpy simply sat peering up at Celestia and Luna as if uncertain which one of them to look at.

"Twilight Sparkle!" Celestia said proudly. "And the bearers of the Elements of Harmony. It's so good to see you all again!"

"It is a pleasure to us as well!" Luna added. "Welcome, friends!"

"Thank you, Princess," Twilight said, cautiously. "Princesses. Um. Well, I guess you already understand why we needed to get here."

"You wished to be accommodating of a friend who had realized she made a mistake, by making it not be a mistake any more. Very wise, Twilight! How could I not assist my student in such an elegant solution?"

"Yeah, but -- I thought we might just ask you to send something to us. Going out of your way like this..."

"Is no trouble at all. In fact, I'm interested to know more about this 'social bonding activity' you mentioned. A shopping spree, yes? I wasn't aware there were rules for such a thing. I assumed one... well... shopped."

"It's my fault, actually!" Twilight admitted. "I asked what the rules were, and so we got together and made some, to make it fair for everyone and keep it interesting. That way it was more of a game we could all play!"

"A game?" Luna's ears perked up. "Intriguing! An opportunity for us to continue our research into 'fun', Sister?"

Celestia nodded. "Twilight, would you and your friends have any objection to Luna and me joining in your game?"

"We'd be honored, your Highness!" Applejack said. Then she glanced around. "Uh, sorry if I'm talkin' outta turn, here!"

"Applejack's been our referee," Twilight said. "She's kept us all honest!"

"Shoot, all I did was keep track of the bingo numbers!"

Twilight quickly summarized the rules, though she half-suspected the demigodlike Princesses already knew them. As she did so, Pinkie Pie crafted two more strips, one ivory white, one night blue. Spike provided his quill, and the Princesses each considered for a moment and then wrote down their choices. Applejack took off her hat and let them drop in their slips. Then she spun it and they drew them out again. Not surprisingly, they drew each other's on the first try.

"Should we go first, Sister?" Luna asked. At Celestia's nod, she lifted her strip and announced "Thé et Gâteau Restaurant! Sister, did you not observe the rule that shops must vend nonconsumable goods to be considered qualified?"

Celestia tsked softly. "I did forget! My apologies!"

"It's okay, Princess!" Derpy spoke up. "You can always choose again, if you get it wrong!"

"Why, thank you, Derpy!" Celestia smiled at her. For a brief moment she considered her options, then gave a very minute, very regal shrug of her shoulders. "I suppose it will have to be Parfumerie. It's where I buy my bubble bath soap." Poker-faced, her gaze swept around as if daring anyone to comment.

Leaving the chariots parked where they were, the group trotted up the Avenue and around the corner to the small store, its windows filled with bottles of various colors.

The poor young pony at the sales counter was frightened out of her wits when both of their Royal Highnesses ducked under the doorframe and entered the shop, surrounded by what seemed a small army of regular-sized ponies.

Clearly feeling a little embarrassed, Luna took the initiative. She strode directly up to the salespony and glared down at her sternly.

"FEAR NOT!" she intoned in the Royal Canterlot Voice, making the windows rattle. "WE WISH ONLY TO PURCHASE..." She glanced at her sister. "... BUBBLE BATH SOAP!"

"eeep!" The salespony made a mighty attempt to pull herself together. "Ah... does her Highness... h-have any particular preference?"

"NAY! THAT WHICH OUR SISTER FINDS SUITABLE IS SUFFICIENT!"

The shellshocked salespony was now clinging to sanity by her hoof-nails, her eyes like saucers.

"Uhm... do... you have one of our frequent buyer reward cards?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

With Luna's turn resolved, they turned to Celestia's slip of paper.

"Canterlot Fine Toys," she said, with a smile at Luna.

The Princess of the Night looked mildly sheepish. "We have found it an excellent resource for our studies of the modern approach to 'fun', Sister."

"I'm sure you have!"

The gray-maned pony at the toy shop was much more familiar with the unanticipated arrival of royality. "Princess Luna!" he bowed. "I am gratified by your visit. And what fortuitous timing! That board game you requested has come in!"

"We shall conclude that transaction at another time!" Luna told him, in a more conversational tone. "For the moment, it is our sister who requires your assistance."

"Your Highness!" the shopkeeper knelt to Celestia as well. "How may I be of service?"

Celestia allowed the keeper to lead her on a quick tour of the store's contents, while Twilight and her friends browsed the racks and shelves of puppets, dolls, games, building sets, puzzles, and all manner of small toys that called out to be played with.

Twilight passed Pinkie Pie, who was yammering excitedly to a small group of the upper-class ponies who had gathered to gawk at Celestia and Luna.

"And then we put our stores in the hat, and spin it, and pick one out, and then the one who picked goes SHOPPIN'!"

Twilight shook her head at Pinkie's irrepressible exuberance.

She circled back to the front of the store. There was a wall of shelving out of which plush animals dangled: ponies, dragons, griffons, farm animals, puppies and kittens, and even a fluffy spider and a wide-mouthed crocodile.

Wait... She stared. Is that...

"Ah!" said Princess Celestia, coming up beside her. "I see they have more Twilight Sparkle plushes in stock. Hoof-stitched, finest quality! I wouldn't permit anything less!"

"Me? Seriously?"

"You and the other Element bearers are well-known heroines, Twilight! And it's heartening to see so many small fillies wishing to grow up following your example!"

She leaned closer to whisper in Twilight's ear. "Such a pity I already have one of my own!" And she winked at Twilight's astonished look.

In the end, Princess Celestia settled on a small set of hand-carved figurines depicting the six Element Bearers. Unfortunately, even with the shopkeeper's generous discount for the Princesses as regular customers, it was over the limit.

Rarity looked around. "Girls, I do believe we have enough left over from our own shares to make up the difference?"

They all nodded willingly, Rarity emptied the kitty-bag on the counter, and the shopkeeper relievedly rang up the sale.