• Published 5th Jul 2018
  • 1,197 Views, 25 Comments

Bitter Memories and Sweet Music - Bookpony579



Twilight Sparkle comes face to face with some old acquaintances.

  • ...
2
 25
 1,197

Chapter 7

Present day:

"...and ever since then I've just tried to be as invisible as possible at Crystal Prep, but they still made fun of me, not just for that incident, but for being so smart, being so powerful....or for just being me! I was too scared to tell my parents what was going on, after all they were so proud of me for going to my brother's high school. When I saw them a few days ago I just....froze up. And when I realized I was gonna have to sing in front of them again....I just chickened out. Things have so great for me ever since I got to Canterlot High that I was...scared that you would all find out how much of a loser I was at Crystal Prep you all would just...think I was a loser too. I'm sorry about trying to fake my way out of the contest, I was just too scared to think rationally. I'd understand if you'd all want to stop being my friends." Twilight looked at the others, who were all now wide-eyed and opened jawed as they processed what she just told them.

Finally, Rainbow pulled herself together, stood up, walked over to Twilight, and kneeled down to eye level.

"Twilight." Rainbow spoke slowly and clearly, which was rare for her. "I may not be the element of honesty, but what I am about to say is the one hundred percent honest truth. Do you understand?"

Twilight nodded slowly, and prepared herself for the rejection.

"You, Twilight Sparkle......are the most awesome person I have ever met." Rainbow said with the utmost seriousness.

This time it was Twilight's turn to jaw drop.

"Twilight..." Sunset gripped her shoulder. "You are not a loser!"

"Yeah! You're amazing!" Pinkie chimed in.

"Plus, your so kind and understanding. You're always willing to help others when they need it." Fluttershy smiled comfortingly.

"The only thing I'm sorry for is that you had to go through that all by yourself!" Rarity cried out.

"That must have been so awful for you." Sunset sympathized.

"It was humiliating..." Twilight sighed, remembering her experience.

"Listen." Rainbow commanded, still looking Twilight in the eyes. "I don't care what some stuck up snobs think of you. I think your awesome, and if anybody else thinks differently, then they're the loser. They don't deserve you. And no matter what happens or already happened, we'll always be your friends, no matter what!"

Twilight just sat there, stunned before tears started gathering in her eyes and she wiped them away, smiling.

"Thank you...all of you...."

Pinkie than gave Twilight one of her patented Pinkie-comfort-hugs, making her feel even better. She even giggled a little.

"Up next, Crystal Prep Academy!"

Everyone jumped a little at the announcement.

"Oh my! They're on already?" Rarity asked, checking her phone.

"Time goes by when you're getting emotional." Pinkie said simply.

"We'd better hurry back. We're on right after them." Rainbow said, heading to the door.

Twilight felt her nervousness return. "But, I don't know if-"

"It''s alright sugarcube." AJ said. "You don't have to sing if you don't feel comfortable enough. One of us can fill in."

"She's right darling." Rairty agreed. "We wouldn't make any one of us go one if we were feeling so upset. Just try to relax and we'll meet up after the contest, is that alright."

"Well, if you girls don't mind...thanks." Twilight gave a smile smile as the girls went off, leaving her alone with Flash.

"Are you sure you're ok?" He asked with concern.

"I guess..." Twilight sighed and sat back down. "I still can't believe I'm so scared of standing up to them, even after everything I've faced!"

"Twilight, it's alright." He sat down next to her. "Everybody's afraid of something."

"Even you?" She smirked at him.

"Even me." He admitted, smiling. "For instance, did you know I'm scared of heights?"

"No." She looked at him in surprise. "Really?"

"Yup. One time my dad took me up on a ferris wheel when I was a kid and I looked out the window, next thing I knew I was throwing up in the cart!" They both began laughing at the memory.

"Yeah, my brother can relate. I remember him getting airsick on Admiral Fairweather's Wild Ride at Pony Island! It's almost impossible to get him on an airship without throwing up!"

They both laughed some more.

"I'm just saying there's nothing to be ashamed of. Anything else you're scared of."

"Snakes."

"Snakes?"

"Snakes." Twilight replied seriously. "They are the symbol and epitome of evil. They live on almost every continent, around six hundred of them can be classified as venomous, and a decapitated snakes' head can still bit even hours after getting cut off, and those bites usually contain a huge amount of poison."

"Wow." Flash's eyes widened.

"Which kinda makes it hard for me to talk to gorgons unless they're wearing those hat things." Twilight explained sullenly.

"Well, compare facing a snake to facing the Shadowbolts. Which one would you rather do?"

"Well, they kind of are like snakes..."

"Twilight."

"I know! I know! I just....don't have a rational explanation for it!"

Flash rubbed the back of his head for a minute, thinking hard, before finally getting an idea.

"Well....what made you become the lead singer for the Rainbooms?"

Twilight looked surprised again. "Because they asked me to."

"You could have said no. Or asked to be a background singer."

"I guess..." Twilight looked away.

"So why did you do it? What gave you the courage to do it when you were facing down the sirens?"

Twilight was quiet for a minute, thinking, before finally speaking up.

"Well...I love to sing. And I had my friends right beside me. I knew...as long as they were there, I could do anything."

"There you go."

"What do you mean?"

"You're friends are still going to be right beside you, even on that stage. You can't let anybody scare you out of doing something you love."

"But I am!"

"And that's why you have your friends right there: to help you when you feel scared and nervous. Think of it like back at CHS, your friends are right beside you, supporting you. And not just on stage, but all around you. I told you the whole school came out here to support you guys. Win or lose, we'll never abandon you." Flash smiled.

Twilight felt more tears well up in her eyes as her mouth broke into a smile. Before Flash could react, Twilight had her arms around him.

"Thanks Flash." She said as she hugged him tight. "You're a really great friend."

Although he felt a little disappointed at the word 'friend' he was happy to be able to help as he hugged her back.

"So..I'll see you after the show?" He asked as she broke the hug.

"The show! I gotta get ready! I'll see you later!" With that, she rushed off to the changing rooms.

He watched her go, still smiling, before heading back to his seat in the audience.

Author's Note:

One more chapter!