• Published 30th Jul 2012
  • 2,444 Views, 26 Comments

Destination Darkness - Aragem



Events take place that will change Equestria forever

  • ...
3
 26
 2,444

Willful Prey

Twilight rose early the morning after Winter Welcome and per Zecora’s instruction she slipped an untouched egg into the pouch with a clipped lock of her pain. With her magic, she slipped the pouch over her head and it rested against her chest. She glanced at it in the mirror sincerely hoped that Rarity didn’t see her today. Likely, the fashionista would find the beaded pouch unfashionable. She hoped the egg would work and Zecora could use it to enlighten her on what was happening around her.

“What’s with the ugly pouch?” Spike asked as he brought a tray into the main room from the kitchen.

“It’s . . . it’s a gift from Zecora.” Twilight decided that it would be better that the true purpose of the egg be left unknown by others. “I decided that I would wear it today.”

“Just don’t let Rarity see it.” Spike set the tray on the small beside her writing desk. On it was three muffins with a small bit of button with spreading knife and a mug of warm tea. The small dragon took a quill and a scroll from his person and held them up in a writing pose. “So what’s the plan for today?”

Twilight listed a number of errands to be run today. They had to check on Winter Welcome clean up, go by Rarity and get Spike fitted for a coat and scarf for Winter, also to see what modification Rarity had in mind for Twilight’s dress to the Winter Ball, and then they would have lunch with their friends at Sugarcube corner.

Before she could continue further, the door swung open and Victory walked inside, “I need some books.”

“Oh, Mrs. Jam! I’m sorry; usually nopony comes in this early. I wasn’t expecting anyone.”

“Don’t worry about it. My visit will be short. I’ve come to return this and I want books on advance magic.” Victory walked inside, her magic drawing the basic magic book from the bag and placing it on the book return counter.

“Um Spike, go to the kitchen and see if we need to do some grocery shopping while I help Mrs. Jam.”

“Sure thing, Twilight.” Spike waddled off after putting the scroll away.

“Are you studying magic too?” Twilight’s ears perked as she nearly trotted to the pale unicorn. “I have so many recommendations! There is Mystic Heart’s tome on Illusionary spells and then there is the Dictionary of Magical Runes and Glyphs!”

“Just magic I can perform myself. I’m not very familiar with runes or glyphs.” Victory replied watching with bemusement as Twilight bounded about the shelves.

“We have Serene Hearts guide on Spiritual and Healing magic.” Twilight hefted the tome off the shelf with a violet glow. “It’s pretty advance, even I have a hard time grasping the basics of using magic to heal.”

“I’ll take that, but I was hoping for something a bit more . . . aggressive.” Victory cast a studious eye at the lavender unicorn to what sort of reaction she would get.

“Aggressive? You mean magic you can use against monsters?” Twilight laid the book of healing on the checkout counter.

“Yes. Against monsters.” Victory cast her eyes aside, a smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.

“There is a Monster Encyclopedia written by Hoofin Snoot. I can see if we have that.” Twilight’s eyes rove the alignment of titles as she came across one, “Or do you mean dueling magic?”

“Dueling magic?” Victory’s eyes widened intrigued.

“It’s magic that unicorns used thousands of years ago before the Princesses ruled. Back then unicorns pretty much ruled because they were in charge of raising the sun and moon and lots of times unicorns had to sort out their differences with magical duels.”

“That’s very interesting,” Victory replied, a hoof touching her chin in thought.

“Now, I should warn you, some of the spells are pretty nasty.” Twilight collected several books and levitated them from their shelves.

“And what do you mean by nasty?” Victory genuinely looked intrigued.

“Well, some of this magic was invented with the intention of . . .killing.” Twilight whispered the last word as if it was a curse. “Like casting lightning, plague spells, and there is even a spell for causing the target great pain.”

Her back was turned so she didn’t see the gleeful smile glow on Victory’s face. She looked as happy as a child who has found a bag of unclaimed candy and no one is watching. When Twilight turned back, Victory’s face lowered into a thoughtful gaze, “I didn’t know that such things existed.”

“Oh yes. Thankfully nopony would use such magic today. It’s a reminder back to the dark days before the Royal Princesses made everything better.” Twilight proceeded to stamp the slips from the inside of the books.

“Of course. No pony would.” Victory smiled appreciatively. “I also need some research material for the Elements of Harmony.”

“I have lots of material on that subject. I mean, I should since I’m the Bearer of the Element of Magic after all.” Twilight cast her gaze away, a dull purple blush on her cheeks.

“And how is that working out for you?” Victory placed her hooves on the counter surface.

“Well, my life has gotten a lot more interesting especially when I met my friends.” Twilight smiled as she pushed the books into a paper bag. “My life wasn’t bad before I moved to Ponyville, but it became a lot better afterwards. My friends really bring magic into my life.”

“I see.” Victory tapped the edge of her hoof on the counter, as her eyes nearly rolled. “But what about being the Bearer of Magic.”

“You don’t understand. That is what being the Bearer of Magic is. It is the sixth element that friendship creates.” The lavender unicorn looked almost serene as she spoke. “Laughter, honesty, loyalty, generosity, and kindness come together to create magic.”

“Friendship is magic,” Victory murmured, but her eyes weren’t on Twilight. They were empty as if they were seeing something beyond library.

“Exactly!” Twilight beamed, happy that Victory understood her lecture.

“And each of your friends, Flutter-something, Applejack, and the others, they each represent an element?” Her hoof lightly tapped the counter again, but this time in deep thought.

“Oh yes. I didn’t know you had such an interest . . .I mean, I know we talked about it earlier when you first arrived, but I didn’t know you were studying it.”

“I have taken an interested in quite a few things since my arrival,” Victory confessed with a light smile. “I would be interested in discussing it further over breakfast.”

“I had plans, but I never turn up a chance to talk magic with another unicorn! Spike! I’m going out for breakfast, keep an eye on the library and meet me at Rarity’s 10:00 sharp.”

“What? After I went to all the trouble of making those muffins?” Spike appeared at the kitchen doorway a frustration in his green eyes.

“Either save them or eat them yourself,” Twilight replied as she gave the books to Victory.

“Bleh, muffins,” Spike muttered as he turned back inside.

Just as Twilight left the library, she magically grabbed a scarf and wrapped it around her neck making certain that the egg pouch was hidden again beneath its folds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn’t an easy morning to rise up to. Jelly many times curled in the sheets and tried to go back to sleep. What if she saw Winter? Or Lyra, the green unicorn he adores? If he adored her so much, then why have sex with her?

Oh god, don’t think about the sex. It had been good, exactly as she imagined having sex with Winter would be like. And that made it all the worse. She was an idiot. She should have known what he was like when he flippantly kissed Fluttershy and the way he flirted with anything that had a vagina.

Thankfully, when she returned to the inn last night, Laotaner had already retired to bed and she was able to put away the dress and go to bed without having to talk with her abrasive mother. And when she woke up, her mother was gone and she took this time to just stay in bed and feel sorry for herself.

She wished she was a lazier person, who could stay in bed all day, but life with her grandparents made her a morning person and she ended up forcing herself up to take a shower and brush her teeth. It was no small feat to wash her mane and tail, maneuver a toothbrush and hair brush without hands or fingers. She stood before a mirror and deemed herself as a cute looking pony. Cute as in she was something that little girls may want for their stuff toy collection.

She couldn’t look pretty or seductive in this shape. Not with a girlish flat chest, cylinder legs that end in round hooves, such a round face with a muzzle. However, Smokey and that jelly obsessed freak thought she was attractive so maybe there was something to her pony shape, but she was a duck attracting ducks when what she wanted was a swan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day was clear and cheerful. First Snow, or Second Snow in this case had already left a fine layer of white on the streets and paths. Earth ponies were sweep and shoveling the snow off the streets and sprinkling salt and grit to protect against slips. A lot of the ponies were wearing scarfs and coats and more than a few were wearing galoshes and boots on their hooves. Maybe she should look into getting a pair for herself.

She should at least feed herself. Jelly trotted to her favorite café with the intention of getting the Flower Power Platter if they served that for breakfast. After turning a corner and seeing the café, her eyes searched for any available tables and she saw her mother and Twilight Sparkle sitting together.

Jelly halted so quickly she skidded several inches on the ice. Twilight was speaking animatedly while Victory sipped from a coffee mug and nodded thoughtfully. She was actually listening to what Twilight was saying, not passing off feign attention while waiting for her to shut up; she was actually absorbing what the lavender unicorn was saying.

Jelly blinked and her vision blurred. She wiped her eyes on the back of a hoof and closed her eyes pushing back the overwhelming emotion that rose as an ocean tide in her chest. She would have turned away and returned to the inn to return to bed, but Twilight saw her and waved at her. Victory followed the line of her gaze and saw her too.

She approached hoping that her eyes weren’t red or glossy. “Good morning.”

“Hey, your mother and I were discussing magic and how it has changed history.” Twilight smiled appreciatively at Victory. “I had no idea she was so interested on the subject.”

“I didn’t either,” Jelly said dryly as she cast her eyes at Victory who gave her an arched eyebrow.

Twilight didn’t noticed, so content was she in her discussion. “Very few unicorns are so interested in magic nowadays. Most of them just want to know simple spells that’ll make their lives convenient.”

“Well, convenience is the disease of self-worth and independence.” Victory replied eyeing her empty coffee mug. “Hmm, where is that waiter?”

Just like that, the waiter appeared with a pot of coffee and refilled her mug. He looked at Jelly, “Is there anything I can bring for you, madame?”

“Um, no, I’m not hungry.” She had lost her appetite.

“I’m sure you must be hungry for flowers.” Victory muttered as nursed from her mug.

“I’m not hungry,” Jelly repeated.

“Well, I can’t stay much longer anyway. I have to meet Spike at Rarity’s in twenty minutes.” Twilight rose from her cushion seat.

And that reminded Jelly that she had to take her dress to Rarity for touch ups for the Winter Ball. The memory made her feel sick to her stomach as the dress was too much of a reminder of what had happen between her and Winter. Her heart ached causing another tide of emotion that she barely stifled with a quick breath.

“I . . .I have to take my dress to Rarity’s also.” Jelly murmured.

“We can go together.” Twilight offered. “The inn is on the way from here to the Carousel Boutique.”

“Okay.” Jelly didn’t see any reason not to accept Twilight’s offer. The purple unicorn didn’t do anything wrong.

“Goodbye, Mrs. Jam. We really should do this again.” Twilight was beaming happily.

“Of course, Miss Sparkle.” Victory smiled and Jelly could see the genuine warmth in her eyes. “We certainly will do this again. After all, we’re going to the Winter Ball together.”

“You’ll have to get a dress.” Jelly’s eyes widen at the prospect of seeing Victory in a dress.

“I’m having one made up north. Winter will fly up and get it for me before the big day.” Victory finished off her mug and rose. “I have some reading to catch up. I called classes off for today to give the foals a chance to recover from the celebration yesterday.”

“You might as well let them have the rest of the week off as well,” Twilight said, “A lot of the parents are concerned about Discord and most of them are planning of keeping their foals home for a while.”

“You know, that is a wonderful idea.” Victory grinned and it wasn’t a fake or sneer. It was an actual grin much to Jelly’s shock. “That will give me time to read and research. Perhaps some practice.”

“Oh! Oh! You have got to come over and practice with me! I can teach you a few spells!” Twilight looked so excited that she did a little happy tap on her hooves.

I don’t know any spells. Jelly saw the charmed nod the violet unicorn received from Victory and her spirit wilted.

They departed from the café. Twilight strode with an almost skip in her step while Jelly nearly drifted behind. Jelly tried to give herself an emotional boot lest Twilight sense something was wrong, but then it was too late as the unicorn faltered in her step giving her a sidelong look, “Are you alright, Jelly?”

“It’s okay.” Jelly forced herself to smile. “I’m just tired from last night.”

“You left early with Fluttershy.” Twilight pointed out. “Did you guys hang out last night?”

Jelly wanted to lie and say yes, but then what if Twilight said something to Fluttershy and the yellow pegasus didn’t collaborate on the story? “I went back to the inn and read for a bit.” She couldn’t bear to recount her disastrous affair with Winter who was supposedly her brother in this community.

Her tone must have been edged because Twilight drew back and said, “Oh, if you don’t want to talk about it, I won’t pry.”

Great, now she offended her. Was the rest of the day going to be like this? If so, then she might as well go to her room and stay there for the rest of the day. They arrived at the inn in silence and it took only minutes for Jelly to slip upstairs and grab the dress which was carefully folded up in a plastic cover bag along with the accessories. When she returned, Twilight was waiting patiently, but she had an apologetic look on her face, “Hey, I’m sorry for prying. What you do last night is your business and nopony elses.”

“Thanks, and I’m sorry if I am not better company,” Jelly apologized. It really wasn’t Twilight’s fault that her mother was more interested in her than her own daughter. “If you want to go alone, you can.”

“No, no, it’s alright. I want to walk with you. I mean, we are friends.” Twilight gave her a small smile, eager to patch any rift between them.

“Yes, we are friends and I should not have been snippy.” Jelly relieved that she wasn’t going to burst into tears, though she felt the weight of it laying on her as a heavy pail of water. She can’t make it a habit of ponies finding her devastated.

Thankfully, Twilight didn’t say anything more on the subject. They continued onward toward the boutique. Jelly wanted to travel in silence, but Twilight continued to speak.

“Your mother is incredible. She is so talented when it comes to magic and she has so many ideas about it. Did she train in Canterlot?”

“No.” Jelly kept her eyes forward, hoping to see the decorative building soon.

“Really? Then she must be very gifted. I wonder if magic is her special talent.”

Victory has a teardrop for a cutie mark. “I think her special talent is to cause misery.”

Twilight nearly slipped on the ice in her surprised. “What? Why do you say that?”

Jelly shook her head, “No, just forget I said that. I shouldn’t have said that at all.”

“Jelly, I’m not close with my mother either,” Twilight said. “After I became Princess Celestia’s private student, I moved away with them to live at the School for Gifted Unicorns and I got so caught up in my studies that I didn’t have much contact with my parents very much. In fact, the last time I saw them was at my brother’s wedding a few months ago.”

“Twilight, it’s different for me. Please, please, just drop it. I really don’t want to talk about my mother right now.” Jelly swished her tail and then hoped that swishing of the tail wasn’t a rude or hostile sign during a heated moment.

“But you have a problem and I want to help.”

“I understand, but you can’t help with this. This is something personal between my mother and me and we have to be the ones to work it out. You can’t fix everyone’s problems for them, how else do they figure things out for themselves.”

Jelly dashed off, her hooves skipping on the cobbled street lest Twilight say more. The lavender unicorn watched her bewildered and enlightened. She wished Spike was close by so she can write a letter to the Princess right now, but she contented with catching up with Jelly and walking the rest of the way in silence to the boutique.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laotaner pore over the books, devouring each sentence with a hunger she had never experienced before. Her horn was actually tingling to practice, but she felt the inn keeper would throw a fit if she summoned a plague of lotus or jagged line of lightning to crash through the roof. And what her most excited of all was that she felt she could tweak these spells into something . . . more brutal.

How about summoning lotus from inside the target? Or instead of heating water, why not boil blood?

Dear sweet Twilight is such a helpful pony. So bright, eager, and charming. Victory wasn’t one to look at another female sexually, but it made her wonder if Twilight would be as bright, eager, and charming in bed? That is if she was a human woman.

Victory shook her head as she banished the thoughts from her head. She had been switching back and forth between pony and human too much. And she needed more coffee.

She hadn’t slept much since the night of the Mite Fight due to dreams about the alley and the trashcan. It was a memory that started her on this road and kept her straight and true to herself.

It brought the hatred to her heart and helped her to embrace it.

It made things easy when she had to do what people would find unconsciousable. And it was a bitch to remember.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Twi-light!” Rarity sang as they unicorns entered the boutique.

Standing on the dais wearing what looked to be an old English gentlemen outfit was Spike. Around his neck he wore a ridiculous bowtie that was wider than the width of a pony’s shoulders. Whereas Jelly expected the little dragon to be embarrassed and figiting, he stood still and almost prideful as the white unicorn dressed him up.

“Hello, Rarity.” Twilight’s voice was light, showing no weight from her exchange with Jelly. “Wow, is that Spike’s outfit for the Winter Ball.”

“Why yes.” Rarity magically tugged the bowtie. “We can’t have Spikey-Wikey not looking his best for the Ball.”

“We brought our dresses.” Twilight opened her satchel and drew out her dressed wrapped in plastic. Jelly couldn’t help, but feel sullen that she did all of this expertly with magic while she had to reach into her bag with magic and pull it out with her mouth.

“Oh, put them over there and I’ll work on them tonight.” Rarity motioned to a table nearby where a sewing machine sat. “And I heard some of the juiciest gossip!”

“What did you hear?” Twilight inquired as she levitated her bag onto the table.

“Well. . .” Rarity cast a sly glance at them and then said to Spike, “Spikey-Wikey, would you be a darling and go to the bag and fetch some . . . oh. . . .pearls for me?”

“But I want to hear the gossip too!” Spike protested crossing arms over his chest, then raising an eye ridge. “You just don’t want me to hear.”

“Oh no, I just really need those pearls,” Rarity sang in a low tone as she brushed the curve of her hoof along his chin which sent a spasm through his body. “Please, be a dear and get them for me?”

“Y-y-yes Rarity. Right away.” Spike nearly floated off the dais and left on tip toes through the back curtain.

“So what happened?” Twilight smiled, it never fails to be amusing to see Spike so taken with his crush on the seamstress.

Jelly glanced confused at the curtain. She was surprised that there was interspecies attraction between such different species. She was placing her dress on the table when Rarity broke her news.

“Hamstring, the gardening pony who manages the garden around town square, he thinks there was some . . . foolery in the garden shed during Winter Dance.”

Jelly dropped her dress. It landed in a heap on the floor before her hooves. “What?”

“Oh yes.” Rarity’s eyes were glowing as she relished in their shocked looks. “Hamstring said that he could smell sweat in the air and some supply bags were definitely out of sort. And he found glitter on the ground. We just have to think who was wearing mane glitter last night.”

If God was a merciful god, Jelly figure, that he would strike her down right then and there. So far, she didn’t smell the ozone of lightning; thus far he must want to punish her.

“Well, there was Marzipan and Leaf Twirl,” Twilight said thoughtfully.

Don’t think about me. Don’t think about me. Jelly wandered if it would be too strange if she leapt through a pane glass window and ran away?

“Those two prudes. Never!” Rarity tossed her head as if the thought of those two being with a stallion was too vulgar. “I would say Jinx or Sapphire Glow, but neither of them wore any glitter. Jelly, what do you . . . oh . . . oh my . . . .” Rarity’s eyes widen as she recalled Jelly’s mane style. “You left the dance early . . .”

Twilight’s jaw dropped as she stared at Jelly who was glancing between as perspiration made itself known by rolling down her cheek.

The curtain drawn back and Spike walked in with a boxful of pearls. “Here are the pearls you wanted . . .”

“Go get diamonds!” Rarity ordered, never taking her eyes off Jelly. “The blue ones!”

“Blue diamonds! I thought you ran out of those.”

“I think there is some in the back. In the back closet, on the bottom behind all the boxes.” Rarity waved a hoof at him in a shooing motion.

“Oh, alright.” Spike grumbled as he took the box of pearls with him, leaving Jelly alone with the inquisitive mares.

“Spill!” Rarity pointed a hoof at Jelly.

“Nothing happened. I’m the wrong woman.” Jelly couldn’t back up anymore, her rear was pressed against the table. “I wasn’t feeling well, so I left early with Fluttershy.”

“So you went straight to the inn?” Twilight asked.

“Yes.”

“Will Fluttershy match your story?” Rarity eyed her suspiciously.

Oh shit. Jelly’s ears lay back as she reflexively sat on her haunches as if she was a kicked dog. “Y-y-yes.”

“You stuttered. You’re fibbing.” Rarity spoke in chastising tone. “We’re your friends. You can tell us.”

“It’s private.”

“HEEEEEEYYYYY!!!!!!!!” A pink face appeared from behind Rarity startling the white unicorn who shrieked in very unladylike fashion. Pinkie bounced gleefully about the room looking this way and that for the source of the unease that was filling the boutique.

“Whatcha talking about?” As Pinkie bounded near Jelly, she screeched to a halt with a deep gasp. “You got your cutie mark! Your cutie mark! When is your cute-ceanera?”

“I . . . wasn’t planning on having one,” Jelly felt the tension melt from the room.

“Not have a cute-caenera!” Pinkie was horrified, her jaw dropped impossibly low. “No, nope, na-uh, nada, no way Jose, nilch, zip, zero. You are going to have a cute-caenera. Yes, yep, bingo, yes way, righty-ho!”

“Oh, okay.” Jelly didn’t want a party, but she was willing to accept any way out of this situation she was stuck in. “Let’s go and discuss what I want for my party?”

“Sure!”

“Rarity, Twilight, you two are invited.” Jelly offered them each an apologetic smile. “Rarity, if you see Sweetie Belle, go ahead and tell her, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom, that they are invited as well, though they may be the only fillies there. I don’t want a big party.”

“Aww, but big parties are fun,” Pinkie said as Jelly led her outside. “But okay, it’s your party.”

“Horseapples.” Rarity muttered, and then blanched at her language.

“Well, she got out of that one.” Twilight rubbed the back of her mane. “She’s a very interesting pony.”

“I should say, having three, no four special someponies. She’s certainly popular with the stallions that’s for certain.” There was a crash in the back and Rarity gasped, “Spike! I hope those boxes haven’t crushed him to death.”

She galloped into the back, leaving Twilight with her thoughts.

The lavender unicorn watched Jelly walk away with Pinkie. Jelly was a very curious pony indeed. She looked at everything with the delight of a foal, but yet seemed worldly and mature. It must be hard to have a mother so gifted in magic while she is unable to lift a quill to write her name.

Then it hit Twilight why Jelly was so upset earlier. She was seeing her mother having lunch with another mare who was better at magic than she was. And Twilight had made it worse by praising her mother’s magical gift. Was that the rift between Jelly and her mother? Jelly’s lack of talent?

Then Twilight beamed as it dawned on her. She knew how she could help Jelly after all!