• Published 13th Jun 2018
  • 682 Views, 21 Comments

Twilight's New Logic Puzzle Adventure - Coyotek4



Accompanied by one of her students, Twilight is called back to the mysterious twin-towns of Utopia and Paradise. Once again, she must use her deductive reasoning skills to solve puzzles, left by a mysterious unicorn.

  • ...
0
 21
 682

Glowing Wings

Events were unusual enough this day for Ocellus.

It started minutes before her first class of the day, when her wings began pulsating bright flashes. She had never heard about such a thing happening while in the changeling hive, but she shrugged it off as being a rite of passage that no one had yet explained to her. And as she felt no discomfort, merely a tingling sensation, she did her best to ignore its effects.

Her friends asked her about her wings, which was only natural as they had come to care for her well-being. Her teachers inquired about her condition as well, though nopony had a good answer for her. She kept insisting all was well and simply wished to focus on her studies, hiding her apprehension as well as possible.

Shortly before her last class of the day, she received another surprise when Counselor Starlight approached her and sent her to Headmare Twilight’s office. Nervous, Ocellus made the lonely trip through the hallways to her new appointment.


Her wings still glimmering, Ocellus cautiously approaches the door to Twilight’s office and gives it a half-hearted knock. Upon hearing a “Come in,” she gently pushes open the door and steps inside.

“You wanted to see me, Headmare Twilight?”

Seated at her desk while peering over a dusty text, Twilight looks up and shifts her gaze to the young changeling and her new condition. Smiling warmly, she hops off her chair and trots over to Ocellus, her magical aura gently closing the door to the office to allow for privacy.

“Thank you for coming, Ocellus. I hope that all is well with your studies.”

“Everything’s just fine,” Ocellus states, “but I was surprised to see Counselor Starlight summon me to your office. I’m not in trouble, am I?”

“No, you’re fine … but I’m sure you’re curious about why your wings are radiating the way they are.”

Really? You know why my … uh …” Ocellus’s attention quickly refocuses to an aspect of Twilight she had not initially noticed. “Your cutie mark is pulsating?”

Twilight briefly inspects her flank before turning back to the young changeling. “Ocellus, do you remember what I said about the Cutie Map?”

Thankful for an excuse to push aside her thoughts regarding her wings, and always eager to show off what she’s learned, Ocellus responds enthusiastically. “The Cutie Map is located in the Castle of Friendship, and it’s able to summon ponies from all over Equestria and send them to all sorts of locations in order to solve friendship problems.”

Twilight nods in approval. “Well done! It’s great to see another who is as interested in learning as I am. But here’s something you may not know … sometimes, non-ponies are summoned by the Cutie Map.” A look of surprise comes over the changeling’s face as Twilight continues. “… which brings me to why I’ve asked you to come.”

The look of surprise turns to a combination of shock and dawning understanding. “You don’t mean … my wings are glowing because of …”

“I assume it started this morning for you,” Twilight states. “As for me, I was about to head over to the school when my cutie mark started radiating. I hurried over to the Map, and sure enough, I saw my cutie mark hovering over a location in Equestria, one I’d been to not too long ago. My cutie mark, and an image of a young changeling.”

I’M being summoned by the Cutie Map? N-no, there must be … some mistake.”

“The Map has never been wrong with its selection of just the right ponies … or creatures … for the task at hoof. You’re being summoned for a reason, one that even I do not know. What I do know is that in the short time I’ve gotten to know you, I’ve seen a bright, caring student who takes her studies as seriously as I did back when I was a foal, and I would be delighted to have you join me on this … well, let’s call it a field trip. Now we should go; the balloon is all set to take us.”

“What, you mean now?” Ocellus exclaims. “What about my classwork? What about my friends? What about the Hive? Does Thorax need to be notified?”

“I’ve already crafted a communication to Thorax and the changeling hive, informing them of the situation,” Twilight assures. “As for your friends, Starlight will explain to them why you’re missing for a couple days. And as for your classwork, think of this as ‘extra credit’.”

Ocellus mentally processes their conversation as she walks around the office. “This is just so much to take in,” she says as she eyes the text on the desk.

Twilight’s horn glows as the text levitates. “You’ll want to read through this on the ride over. It will help you understand where we’re going.”

“Oh? Uh, Headmare Twilight … where are we going?”

“Someplace that until recently I thought only existed in a dusty textbook. We’re heading to the twin towns of Utopia and Paradise.”

Author's Note:

Those who have not done so will want to read the prequel before continuing. This Fic, like the previous one, contains logic puzzles that the reader is encouraged to solve before coming to the solution.