• Published 31st Jul 2012
  • 1,148 Views, 8 Comments

Diary of a Pony - starshine_dash



Dear Diary, today I crash landed in Fluttershy's cottage with no idea who I am. Go me.

  • ...
2
 8
 1,148

Recovery

I had come to realize over the past few days that I was an extremely light sleeper. The slightest out of place noise would wake me up instantly. Given that I was still in the Intensive Care ward of the hospital, this meant that every time an alarm went off in another patient's room, I was awake and groggy, wondering if it was my own. I told the staff, and was subsequently moved to an out of the way room on the third floor, where I could sleep and have easy access to the physical therapy I was going to be forced to undergo.

The first few months were simply strengthening spells and exercises to get my limbs back in shape, along with rudimentary magical training provided by the town librarian. Her name was Twilight Sparkle and she had taken an interest in my case. She was apparently the student of one of the rulers of the country, so I was quite flattered. This was also the time that I was told I was a unicorn, and that it was very odd for somepony my age to not have a cutie mark. In the back of my mind I knew what a cutie mark was, but had no idea what mine had been.

Staying in the hospital was boring, but luckily I remembered how to read, so I was able to blow through the entire stock of books the hospital had. I did not learn much, as most of it was fiction, but I was able to ask Miss Sparkle to bring me some nonfiction the next time she provided a lesson. I was improving rapidly, able to use my magic to levitate most every day objects I needed, but beyond that I didn't really try. I was more concerned with actually getting myself out of the hospital.

In all, it took another six months before I was cleared to leave, and I had remembered absolutely nothing. The doctors were hopeful that I would be able to regain my memory by doing rather than sitting in the same room I had been in for half a year. The first thing that occurred when I exited the hospital was a sudden flash of terror. I had absolutely no idea what to do. Standing there, looking around helplessly, I realized that I had no money, no home, and no job. I sighed and turned back, heading to the front desk, where Nurse Redheart sat.

"Excuse me, Nurse Redheart? I have a problem."

"You haven't even been gone for five minutes!" she said, looking shocked.

"No, no, not like that. It's just. I have no name, no job, no money, and no home. What am I supposed to do?"

"Oh, I hadn't thought of that. I'd suggest you visit the mayor, she may know what to do. If not her, try Twiilght Sparkle, she's the smartest pony in town."

"I'll do that, thank you," I said with a smile and turned to leave. I stepped outside and looked at the sky, smiling now that I had at least a temporary purpose. I had to speak with the mayor, and the librarian, and hopefully remember what my special talent is now that I'm out and about among hopefully familiar sights.

The strangest part of my day was a brief encounter I had with a bright pink pony wearing her mane like it was made of cotton candy. She spotted me across the market as I stood there appraising one of the fruit stands for possible later consumption, and ran up to me. She looked me over, sniffed my mane, narrowed her eyes and then gasped before disappearing off into the crowd once again. As I stood there, confused, the fruit seller smiled at me and laughed, "Ah see ya must be new, if Pinkie reacted that way. Alls ah can say is tonight ye're in fer a surprise."

"Well, I guess I must be... I was hoping Ponyville was my home."

The earth pony looked thoughtful for a moment and then flicked the brim of her hat with one hoof, "Ah! So ye're the unicorn who can't remember nothin that Twi's been on about. Pleasure ta meet ya. Mah name's Applejack, but my friend's call me AJ."

"Hello, Miss Applejack. I don't have a name, but it's a pleasure. How much are your apples, by the by? I have no bits to my name at the moment, but I'm going to be off looking for work after I meet with the mayor to find a place to sleep."

"Can't remember yer name, eh? Well, then ye definitely can't remember the taste of a Sweet Apple Acres apple, so have one on the house!" she said, tossing me an apple. I caught it in my magic and smiled, placing it back down.

"I really couldn't. I just ate at the hospital before they discharged me anyway."

"Nonsense, save it for later then. Ah won't have nopony goin hungry just cause they ain't got any bits."

I sighed and finally accepted the apple, "As you wish, Miss Applejack," I said with a little smile.

"No need for that 'Miss' there, Blue boy."

I chuckled, "Alright then. I'll see you around, Applejack. And thanks again for the apple."

"You just remember where you buy 'em from now on, ya hear?"

I nodded and trotted off toward the town center, following directions I had retrieved from one of the ponies that was wandering town. I held the apple next to my head, making a mental note that one of my first purchases should be a pair of saddlebags. It was a strange experience, walking through town with no memories.

As I walked into the town hall, I began to think about what to call myself. I did not have many defining features. My coat was a dark blue, with my mane and tail simply fading from the color my coat to a pale powder blue at the tips. My eyes were purple, a not uncommon color, and nothing about me really stood out. I suppose if I had parents or a special talent I would have a name related to one of the two, but at the moment nothing struck me. I wandered down a corridor when I heard the most atrocious sound coming from a side room. The only thing I could compare it to was a griffon and hydra in mating season fighting over a particularly whiny elephant.

I pushed the door open and found a trio of small foals trying, and failing, to play a set of instruments. I gaped at them in horror until they finally stopped.

"Sorry, mister, was it really that bad?" said the small white unicorn filly.

I could only nod, dumbfounded that an instrument could be played so badly. I took the saxophone she had been playing from her and sighed, looking it over for damage. Perhaps the instrument itself was defective. Seeing no obvious signs of damage I shrugged and put the reed in my mouth. Curling my lower lip into position and pressing several keys, I blew a perfect, resonate G. I blinked and began to move up and down the scale, testing the instrument as I tested myself. Something in me tingled in happiness as I slid into a tune that seemed familiar, even as it was completely unknown to me. I played it for several moments before stopping for air and blushing softly.

"I'm sorry, girls, I just wanted to make sure it worked. I guess it does."

The three fillies simply stared at me in shock before smiling and starting to dance around me. I was highly confused as I turned my head to watch them. Spotting something on my flank, I spun around like a dog chasing its tail before I finally got a good angle and noticed that my cutie mark had reappeared, or that a new one had sprung into being. It was an alto saxophone, like I had been playing with three quarter notes flowing out of the bell, "Oh! It's back!"

They stopped, "It's back? What do ya mean by that?!" the earth pony shouted, her bow bobbing as she stopped bouncing.

"Oh, I had lost my cutie mark with the rest of my memory..."

"So you're the nameless pony that everypony's been talking about!" shouted the pegasus, staring at me.

I just grinned and blushed, putting the sax back onto what I guessed was its usual stand before turning back to the fillies, "Yeah, that's me. I had no idea I could play that thing. Now I just need a name."

The three looked at each other, then back at me with a huge grin on each of their faces. I opened my mouth to ask them what they were thinking but was interrupted by the loudest noise I could remember hearing, "Cute Mark Crusaders Pony Namers, YAAAY!"

I feel onto my flank and shook my head to try and clear the ringing out of my ears. As my hearing cleared, I could hear them muttering among themselves with name ideas. I rolled my eyes and listened until I heard one of them say "Alto."

"Alto? I like that... Alto Sax sounds good to me, what do you girls think?"

They all beamed at me, and then checked their flanks with a frown before emitting a chorus of disappointed awws. I smiled and apologized to them for interrupting the musical escapades and excused myself before I could get roped into anything further. I realized I could only handle so long with a group of foals. Now, with a name and a talent, I proceeded to the mayor's office with a new spring in my step.