• Published 29th May 2018
  • 839 Views, 11 Comments

Grief - Silence_EXE



Ever lost someone or something that was a part of you, in a way? Well, now you will...

  • ...
4
 11
 839

Grief

Grief is the price we pay for love.
- Queen Elizabeth II


It’s not easy losing somepony you love. Especially when you and that somepony were mind-linked.

Forgive me. You’re probably wondering who I am and what a mind-link is. I’ll tell you, don’t worry.

I am Twilight Sparkle. Rather, I was, before my beloved newborn changeling whom I had mind-linked to died. Now, I feel more like a shadow of my former self. Or maybe three...

I shouldn't be complaining. That changeling did save my life, after all... But I digress. You wanted to know about mind-linking, correct?

A mind link is special. It's special because it only occurs if a pony and a changeling connect in some way. It's special because the pony and the changeling can see into each others' mind. It's special because they can understand one another.

There's just one small drawback. If either the pony or the changeling dies, the survivor will feel broken, grieving, and close to insane. I'm sure you can guess exactly what occurred to me.

He didn't deserve to die. In fact, he wasn't even in the bucking way. You know what he did for me? He took a knife. That knife was supposed to be for me. I was supposed to be the murdered one!

I HATE EVERYPONY! YOU'LL ALL PAY FOR THIS! I SWEAR!

Why did he have to do it? He didn't need to... He didn't...

I'm sorry. I've been having problems with who I am lately. Sometimes I feel normal, sometimes I feel depressed, and sometimes I just want to kill everypony.

AND I WILL KILL THEM ALL! EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM!

You see what I have to go through? At this point, I don't know which one of me is the real one. I should continue with the story. You're here for that, after all, not to hear me ramble.

I called Emergency when he took that knife. All the while, I was holding back the attacker, Screw Loose, with magic. It felt like it took years until Emergency arrived. The police rushed to Screw Loose, restraining her with all their strength. The nurse and doctor rushed into the room, coming over to me and my... little... changeling...

I miss him... I miss him so much...

He was looking up at me. Oh, for a changeling, and maybe even a pony, he was so cute... His words, though he was gasping as he spoke them, were trying to reassure me that he'd be fine. I didn't believe him, but I took comfort in what he said anyway.

He was trying to heal himself, but he was too young, and the task was too difficult. His little horn sputtered feebly, small bursts of the magic I had begun to teach him sending even smaller sparks in the air. He was suffering so much. Too much...

JUST LIKE HOW I'LL MAKE YOU SUFFER!

He fought and fought, but he couldn't win. His hooves were in mine as he spoke his last words. 'I love you'. Imagine that from a changeling. His... His body went limp, and I couldn't hear him anymore...

I couldn't, he was gone. Gone forever. I wish I could have him back... I wish he didn't die...

YOU TOOK HIM FROM ME AND I WILL TAKE SOMETHING BACK! AN EYE FOR AN EYE, A HOOF FOR A HOOF! THAT IS JUSTICE! THAT IS FAIRNESS!

I was angry. Very angry. This pony, this monster had taken one of the most important beings in my life. When I saw him die, I lost control of myself. I wanted to kill Screw Loose for what she had done. But I wanted to make her suffer first.

I got up after letting out a scream of mixed rage and grief. The policeponies were... well... scared of me. I could tell they were by how they held their guns ready in case I attacked them.

THEY'RE DEAD, JUST LIKE EVERYPONY ELSE WILL BE!

My head hurts immensely. It's getting harder to tell myself apart from them. Oh well. What can I do?

Oh, Screw Loose definitely knew what I was going to do to her. She struggled even harder, trying to escape the room. The policeponies looked unsure if they should keep restraining her, or if they should flee the room. I stepped forward.

One of the policeponies told me shakenly to stay back, so as not to get hurt. I'm pretty sure they were more worried about themselves...

THOSE GREEDY, SELFISH, HORSE DUNG-LICKING COWARDS! THEY DESERVED EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED TO THEM, EVERYTHING!

But he didn't... He didn't deserve to die...

... But I didn't care at that point. I just wanted revenge for my loss. I was so stupid. I didn't even think before my actions.

Strange how life can change in an instant. One moment, you're grooming your little changeling and the next, he's bleeding on the ground in your place. The world is ironic, and quite so. Wouldn't you agree?

You know what's bitterly coincidental? The fact that my changeling, even though he did absolutely no wrong in his life died, yet the other changelings who enjoy attacking us are still alive. It's stupid, so stupid. I should stop rambling on about my feelings. You want to know what happened, not how I felt about it.

YOU UNCARING, FOALISH, INSOLENT BEINGS! I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO DESTROYING YOU ALL!

I told the policeponies to step away from Screw Loose if they didn't want to get hurt. As they did so, she ran for it. I slammed and blocked the doors. She tried to get to the window, but I stepped in front of it.

IDIOT! YOU CANNOT ESCAPE YOUR FATE! YOU CANNOT ESCAPE YOUR JUDGEMENT!

I'm sorry... I'm so sorry, Chalin... I was too weak to save you... my sweet changeling...

She skidded to a halt, shaking with terror as she saw the murderous look on my face. I told her that she had been quite a problem as of late, and that it was about time for her to face the consequences. I enjoyed her fear. Or more like the angry one did.

Did you know fear draws the angry one out? I'm not sure what draws the sad one out, though... She doesn't come out that often... It doesn't matter.

No, it doesn't. Nothing does. Not anymore.

EVERYPONY DYING IS WHAT MATTERS! THAT IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS!

They're getting stronger. Especially the angry one. I need to finish remembering. And you want to finish the story.

She wanted to know what would happen to her. The policeponies were ready to try and stop me. I couldn't let them stop me.

I froze her in place. The policeponies leapt forward. And then she took full control of me. I couldn't do anything but watch. She... She laughed like an insane pony, like a maneiac. She used her... my... our magic to make them all suffer.

Her magic... My magic... Too hard to know the difference anymore...

They all dropped, screaming. Screw Loose stared in horror as every sharp object in the library began to cut them. They cut off their fur, their skin... They were still screaming, louder, and louder, and they wouldn't stop, they wouldn't stop!

THEY WOULDN'T STOP!

They wouldn't...

I...I'm sorry... I almost lost control again. They're in my head right now, speaking to me, screaming to me. It's very distracting... But I need to finish this story. You need to know the truth.

When it was over with, and the last pony was silent, the angry one turned to Screw Loose, with a horrid smile on her face.. MY face. She spoke to Screw Loose. She told her that what had happened to the policeponies was merciful, compared to what was going to happen to her.

Screw Loose looked beyond terrified. Both sides of her were speaking one after the other. She begged for her life, begged for the angry one to be merciful, to not hurt her.

The angry one didn't listen. She knelt down close to Screw Loose, whispering to her. And... And she broke. Her mind snapped. She was screaming, the sounds something nopony should ever make. The.. The angry one began to torture Screw Loose.

I retreated into my mind, trying to escape the sounds of suffering. I felt like I was going insane... Then my friends came, wanting to check on me.

NO! NO! WHY DID YOU COME HERE? WHY? YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND, DO YOU? YOU'RE GOING TO DIE TOO! YOU AND EVERYPONY ELSE!

I WILL COLLECT MY DEBT OF BLOOD!

WHY DID YOU WANT TO HEAR THIS? WHY?

AND I WILL COLLECT IT FROM YOU!

I can't hold on anymore... Human, pony, whatever you are, whoever you are, if you see this, leave! Leave before SHE kills you! I don't want another death... I can't have another death...

YOU'VE DOOMED YOURSELF!

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!

No...

GET AWAY FROM HERE, PLEASE!

IT'S TOO LATE FOR YOU NOW! YOU BELONG TO ME!

NO!