• Published 25th May 2018
  • 457 Views, 0 Comments

Mission to Appleloosa - GJT_Productions



The Ponyville Royal Guard contingent is sent to secretly assist the Element Bearers in their trip to Appleloosa, and to resolve the conflict there...

  • ...
0
 0
 457

Mission Given

"Good afternoon, Lucky Clover."

"Good afternoon, Miss Rarity. We must've had the same idea to check the mail this time of afternoon."

"Guess so, darling. All's quiet from the Everfree Forest?"

"Yes, ma'am. I'm going to relieve Meadow Song for the rest of the afternoon, then Caramel covers the overnight."

"I see. You're still the one running the errands for the rest of the squad despite your promotion?"

"Yep. It's a matter of seniority despite the promotion - protocols we have to follow as part of the Guard."

"Oh of course darling, I understand what you mean."

"Do you still plan to travel to Appleloosa with Applejack, ma'am? To present the tree gift?"

"Well, considering Twilight Sparkle got a letter from Princess Celestia saying the princess wanted all of us to go with her, I am planning to do so. Against my better judgment, but I do plan it. This evening, I'm taking Sweetie Belle back to my parents and then close up Carousel Boutique for the duration of the trip."

"I see, ma'am. So this is going to be the last mail check before you leave?"

"Yes, indeed, just so there aren't last minute unwelcome surprise orders for dresses."

"Very good. I'll see you after the trip then?"

"Probably, yes."

"Have a good time then, ma'am."

"I'll try, but from what I've heard of Appleloosa is not all that good, sir..."

------------------------

Guard Upper Class Lucky Clover shakes his head with an amused look at Rarity's vaguely low opinion of the new earth pony settlement. He was standing in front of the offical E.U.P. Guard box in Ponyville's post office - accessible only by keys kept by vetted E.U.P. Guard members - and watched out of his peripheral vision as Rarity walked toward the front desk as he carefully holds the key with his teeth and giving a twist of his head to unlock the box once the key was inserted into the lock.

Lucky Clover reaches into the box with a hoof and pulls out a few envelopes, muttering about their contents as he does so: "Shift listing... billing... ration menu for the mouth... special assignment by the princess?!"

The last envelope pulled out of the box had a special golden ribbon trim, indicating this was a special assignment coming directly from Princess Celestia. This prompted a quick closing of the box and exit from the Ponyville post office, galloping toward the road leading out of Ponyville toward the Everfree Forest...

------------------------

Lucky Clover's destination was what was officially called the M.E.W.S. (Monster from Everfree Warning System) Tower - a watchtower along the road leading from Ponyville into the Everfree Forest. Its initial construction began after the Ursa Minor incursion into Ponyville that Twilight Sparkle stopped, under the codename "Operation Shield", and after it was finished became the permanent work station of any E.U.P. member in Ponyville not serving a shift in Canterlot. It had already justified its construction by confirming the arrival of a dragon on a mountain near Ponyville - the one Fluttershy had convinced to move elsewhere afterwards - and would in the future warn the citizens of Ponyville of several more monster attacks.

Currently on duty at the top of the tower was the recently commissioned Lieutenant Meadow Song, promoted to head the Ponyville contingent after his fellow Apple clan member Lieutenant Crispin was posted permanently to Canterlot. Excepting for some additional paperwork, his duties had mostly not changed - standing watch at the tower, overlooking the tops of the Everfree Forest's trees for any signs of approaching unwelcome creatures from the strange piece of Equestria.

One of the few perks of the job was the spectacular views usually only enjoyed by pegasi in Ponyville: the gleaming castle and city of Canterlot far in the distance in one direction, Ponyville and the nearby mountain in another (including the expansive orchards of Sweet Apple Acres) and the ruins of the Castle of the Two Sisters jutting from the treeline of the forest. The views were particularly good at sunset, which Lucky Clover usually got to enjoy, and help offset the tedium of the work.

Lucky Clover climbs the tower's internal staircase at full speed, making a concerned Meadow Song, who had seen his approach at full gallop, even more so. Meadow Song got out of the way just in time to avoid getting bowled over by his subordinate, Lucky Clover skidding to a stop and just barely avoiding going over the edge of the tower top!

"Goodness Lucky, what's the emergency? I haven't seen any monster activity or fires in the town..." Meadow Song comments with deep concern as Lucky Clover collects himself once he's stopped near the edge of the tower top.

"Special order... from Princess Celestia!" Lucky Clover breathlessly exclaims, showing Meadow Song the envelope as he does so.

Meadow Song takes the envelope with his teeth and balances it on a raised forehoof. He looks over the front carefully, flips it over with a careful toss upward, then looks over the back of the envelope the same way. Finally, he goes on haunches and uses the edge of one hoof like a human would use a letter-opener to carefully open the fancy envelope.

The Guard Lieutenant turns the opened envelope upside-down, causing the letter inside to spill out onto the stonework of the tower, then holds open the letter with forehooves as Lucky Clover reads the writing, which they can tell from certain quirks of penmanship is done by Canterlot Captain of the Guard Gibraltar himself:

"Order Issued By: Her Majesty Princess Celestia, via Captain of the Canterlot E.U.P. Guard Gibraltar
Order Issued To: Lieutenant Meadow Song, M.E.W.S. Tower CO, Ponyville Special Command

It has come to the attention of myself - and the attention of Her Majesty Princess Celestia - that the Element Bearers are planning on travelling to the new earth pony settlement of Appleloosa. It has also come to the attention of both myself and Her Majesty Princess Celestia that there are rumors of former Agents of Chaos rebel activity there, deliberately provoking the native buffalo tribes into attacking the Appleloosans. As such, you and your contingent at Ponyville Special Command has been given a special assignment with a three part objective.

Objective #1: Shadow the Element Bearers on their trip and ensure the success of their mission. You are to remain in civilian cover for the duration of the mission, and cover must not be broken until this objective is completed!
Objective #2: Investigate the truth or falsehood of the rumors of rebel activity, both in the Appleloosan settlement proper and the nearby Wastes.
Objective #3: Locate and make contact with a nomadic earth pony currently traveling under the designation 'Quesadilla Polka' - it is believed he has valuable intelligence of the area and is willing to help maintain peace between the Appleloosan settlers and the native buffalo once it has been established. He may also be of assistance in further attempts to locate and defeat the rebel threat in the future.

As you read this, Lieutenant Crispin and two Guards are enroute to temporarily take command of the watch while you are on your mission. Remember soldiers, Her Majesty is always watching - she expects a good and cooperative performance out of you all!

End Order Transmission, Signed Off By: Captain of the Canterlot E.U.P. Guard Gibraltar"

-------------------------------------

This letter immediately provoke both great surprise and some confusion between both stallions. There is a silent exchange of looks, then Lucky Clover speaks a single statement: "I don't mind a trip to Appleloosa to help the Element Bearers, but... what does it mean by 'a good and cooperative performance'?"

"Remember Lucky, we are not ordinary Equestrians." Meadow Song answers. "We have given a vow to the alicorns to serve and protect them and the kingdom of Equestria with our lives. In addition, most members of this command have some connection to the Element Bearers. I am related by marriage to Applejack and her clan. Aide Cherry Fizzy was a witness to Twilight Sparkle becoming Princess Celestia's apprentice. You and Caramel live next door to Rarity. It is expected that the princess asks more of us than even a regular Guard member."

"Yeah, I suppose, but... I'm still not entirely comfortable with the idea, sir." Lucky Clover states.

"We don't have to be comfortable with it, we just have to follow our orders." Meadow Song replies. "Go back into Ponyville and rally the rest of the squad."

"Yes, sir." Lucky Clover replies with a salute, turning and heading back down from the top of the watchtower. Meanwhile, Meadow Song took the letter with his orders and placed it in his supply bag, and was soon alone again with his thoughts.

For the rest of the short time left in his watch shift, Lieutenant Meadow Song was left to wonder what exactly this mission to Appleloosa would entail, what exactly "good and cooperative performance for Celestia" meant, and how exactly they would pull off shadowing the Element Bearers that usually would recognize them easily...