• Published 4th May 2018
  • 1,791 Views, 12 Comments

Fall of A Rainbow - ShadowSprint



Tragedy occurs when during a fierce battle, Rainbow Dash is thrown from Cloudsdale. Though Fluttershy tries to save Dash, she simply cannot get to her friend in time. After the battle, the mane six will need to cope with the loss of their friend.

  • ...
1
 12
 1,791

Chapter 1

“Fluttershy watch out!” Rainbow Dash screamed as she darted across the clouds, her hooves slamming into Fluttershy’s back as a powerful beam of energy rocketed its way across Cloudsdale.The red beam tore through several pillars, causing park archways to collide into one another and crash onto the ground.

Twilight’s voice echoed from somewhere below, “Scatter girls! Make it harder for him to target us!” and suddenly she disappeared. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy hovered only for a matter of seconds before arching around over Cloudsdale, waiting for signs of him; for the sound of his clanking armor, or his deep, almost metallic voice. Fluttershy had panicked when she first saw him, having never seen such evil or anger in a pony before.She screamed when in her confused flight, she flew mere inches from him and in the blink of an eye, he stood up on his hind hooves and bucked her down into the hard ground.

Lord Chaosis, a menace that Princess Celestia had tucked away into Tartarus moons ago, somehow resurfaced amid close guard. His midnight blue fur, splattered with a dark pale red, stood on end as his wings stretched out above him, blotting out the sun causing Fluttershy to shrivel in fear underneath his gaze. A strange metal armor snaked up his back with spidery legs sprouting out and clinging to his sides like a steel rib-cage. The armor wrapped around his chest, up his neck and sprouted a false unicorn’s horn on his head. “You ponies cannot fathom the danger you have placed yourselves in.” His voice screeched, the armor even clinging to his lower jaw as he spoke.

Fluttershy backed away, shaking her head fearfully, “No . . . please don’t” she squeaked out, and her voice trembled as courage sprung up from inside her and she firmly slipped out from under Lord Chaosis and took to the sky with Rainbow Dash.

Lord Chaosis clenched his teeth and bent down low against the hardened grounds of Cloudsdale, in preparation to take off when a pillar crashed on top of him, spraying dust and smoke across the ponies. Somewhere, for Fluttershy couldn’t see where, Applejack cried out a triumphal “Yee-Haw!” at her accomplishment. “Let’s make quick work of this Chaos colt and rescue Celestia and Luna!” Applejack called out.

Yes, the part of this whole mission that had terrified Fluttershy the most. Both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna had been captured by Lord Chaosis and not only that, but he had managed to steal their magic.And all of it related back to Lord Chaosis’ cutie-mark.He didn’t have one. Instead, his armor, which he had dubbed the Invincicorn Armor, had two round silver rings which covered each hip, right where his cutie-marks would have rested.And on his front right hoof, a black dialed ring wrapped tightly around it.

While Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy hovered overhead, Twilight and the others carefully circled around the rubble when an all too familiar Click-Click-Clicking noise was heard. “Everyone run!” Twilight cried out and unfolding her wings, she leapt into the air, joining Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy while Applejack, and Pinkie Pie spread out over Cloudsdale. The spell from Twilight allowed them to run across cloud city as Lord Chaosis broke free from the stone wreckage. With his left hoof, he turned the dial on his right and the rings on his hips creaked and cracked, bolting electricity across them, vaporizing Princess Luna’s cutie mark from his skin and re-instating Princess Celestia’s cutie-mark back onto his body. “You poor little fillies. Do you not know what is going on?” And his false horn erupted with a blaze of fire, engulfing the sky and forcing Fluttershy and the others to fall in low within his reach. “Your new ruler has risen! Your precious princesses have fallen and their power is now mine!”

Pinkie Pie took this opportunity to shoot a wall of balloons into Lord Chaosis’ face.His anger and rage fumed as be prepared to fire another one of Celestia’s magical beams when Pinkie Pie slipped up under the balloons and roughly grabbed his left hoof, shaking it profusely, smiling from ear to ear at a befuddled Chaosis.“You’re the new ruler of Equestria?!” She exclaimed in mock amusement, “You’ll just have to come to Ponyville for a parade and cake and ice cream . . .”

Her voice droned on and on at Chaosis until his patience had all but evaporated.“Be gone you wicked nuisance of a pony” he shouted and shoved her aside.

The distraction however, was enough for Twilight to come charging in, wings beating against her sides as she tackled Lord Chaosis. “You’re not the ruler yet, Chaosis! You still have a princess to deal with,” Twilight proudly exclaimed as she focused in on the green emerald that clung to his armor. The jewel that powered his suit, the Ember Emerald. Apparently of his own design, he would use it to suck the magic from a pony, granting him their power at will.

Twilight summoned her magic to remove the emerald from his chest. The others rushed towards him, to help Twilight, but Lord Chaosis could see their plan; and his reaction was swift.He swung a hoof up against Twilight, cracking her over the head. She hit the clouds in a daze, her body heaving over the heavy impact as Lord Chaosis stood over her. “And now my princess . . .” he began, his metallic jaw snapping against the roof of his mouth with a hiss, he smiled down at the violet colored pony, “I shall deal with you.”

Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and the others galloped toward their friend, screaming Twilight’s name as Chaosis turned the dial on his hoof again. Amidst the screaming, the galloping, the focused attention on their important friend, none realized until it was too late as a burst of energy flung the girls back. Applejack went in one direction, sliding across the clouds.Pinkie Pie flew in the other and had it not been for the attention of Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie would have hurtled over the edge of the city and into the Bad Lands below, where Lord Chaosis had managed to steer the entire city of Cloudsdale over.

Twilight gazed up into the fiery red eyes of the deranged pony. His Ember Emerald sparkled a deep green, a burning flame at its core.“Grant me your strength dear princess” Chaosis hissed and Twilight could suddenly feel herself weakening, her strength passing through her body and into his.Struggling for breath, she could hear Chaosis laughing over her and when it finally stopped, she lay limp on the ground. Her cutie-mark along with her magic, gone.

“Twilight!” Rainbow Dash screamed. Her voice echoed across Cloudsdale as she dropped into low flight, picking up speed at a dangerous pace. Her body emitted a violent rainbow that shot out in a steady stream behind her.Anger boiled over inside Dash. Anger over what he did to Celestia, what he did to Luna, to Twilight, to her friends.Everything passed by Rainbow Dash at a blur and she knew this feeling. It was the feeling directly before a sonic rain-boom.

“Rainbow Dash no!” Applejack cried out after her friend.For the second Dash had started her descent, Lord Chaosis was already watching her. He had turned the dial on his hoof and Twilight’s cutie-mark sparked onto his body. “Please Rainbow Dash don’t! It’s a trap!” Applejack screamed, terrified tears flying in her face as she galloped at Chaosis. He had already used his newly acquired magic to lift a large pillar out of Cloudsdale, holding it at his side like a batter in a batting cage.Applejack galloped harder, hair slapping her face, and her back as she begged, “Please don’t!”

Rainbow Dash couldn’t put the pillar into focus as she screeched across the clouds and hooves stretched out to attack Chaosis, she closed her eyes as she braced for impact. But the impact did not come. Instead, everything turned black. Chaosis swung the pillar around him with all the force he could gather, crushing Rainbow Dash face first into the white marble, shooting her back into the sky. Rainbow Dash’s body careened through the air, slamming through clouds and disappearing out of Cloudsdale.

The other ponies watched in horror when Rainbow Dash disappeared from their sight and Fluttershy, with fresh tears dripping off her eyelids, tore across the city, speeding as fast as she could away from Cloudsdale, chasing after Dash.

Beating her wings hard against her body, Fluttershy dodged surrounding buildings, weaved in and out of the clouds as she desperately worked to catch up to Rainbow Dash. The wind whipped across her face, and her fur as she hurtled herself after the rainbow.She couldn’t even see Rainbow Dash, only had the stream of colors to follow.The battle behind her quickly vanished as she left Cloudsdale. “Oh no” she whispered to herself as the angle of Rainbow Dash’s flight started curving straight down. “No no no no! Rainbow Dash!” Fluttershy screamed as she bolted down from the heavens, catching a blue glimmer below her, plummeting towards the earth. “Rainbow Dash Wake Up!” Fluttershy cried out, begging. Her tears flew back at her face, blurring her vision and making it difficult to see.

Wind whirred and whistled in Fluttershy’s ear as she flew straight down.She could see her friend.Dash was unconscious, her body falling freely towards the earth.Fluttershy screamed again, “Rainbow Dash! You have to wake up!”

I have to reach her! I just have to.If I don’t . . . If I don’t . . . Fluttershy’s mind raced as she had to force the thoughts from her. She couldn’t think like that, not at a time like this. And she was already so close. Fluttershy tried screaming again, “Rainbow Dash!”Rainbow Dash’s eyes groggily peaked open and Fluttershy smiled; Dash was finally waking up. And then the ground hit.

The impact caught her off-guard and Fluttershy had to pull up, causing her to roll across the hard, rocky terrain of the Bad Lands. She rolled for 20 or 30 feet before smacking up against a stone wall.Bruised and exhausted, the little yellow pony could hardly stand as she coughed her way through the wall of dust she’d kicked up. Her legs buckled from the pressure as she stumbled through the desert, limping back to where she thought her friend would be. “R-Rainbow Dash?” she breathed, searching, hoping, and praying she’d find her friend alive.

As the dust began to settle, Fluttershy could begin to see, and upon catching a glimpse of an all too familiar tail, she galloped over towards it, kicking up more dirt and rocks. But, she quickly stopped in her tracks. “No, no Rainbow . . . no” and with her legs giving out, Fluttershy fell next to her friend, her chest heaving as the tears would not stop.Rainbow Dash’s body laid stretched out over a patch of rocks, her head resting on a flat black stone, now wet with blood. The pony’s limbs bent and broken against the ragged edges.Her wings crumpled beneath her; her eyes half open and rolled back.

“Why?” Fluttershy asked, “Why? Why wasn’t I fast enough? Why couldn’t I save you?” And thunder rumbled from the clouds above, reminding her of the fight the others were still engaged in. But she couldn’t leave. She couldn’t abandon her friend. So Fluttershy rested her head next to Rainbow Dash, closed her eyes, and wept.


Spike and Rarity emerged from the colosseum in Cloudsdale. They had been tasked with locating both Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. Much to their relief, both princesses had been chained up inside, unharmed.Of course, their cutie-marks were gone. Without them or their magic, the princesses would be able to do little to stop Lord Chaosis.

“What do we do?” Spike asked panicked as him and Rarity exited the colosseum, the battle with Chaosis and their friends coming into view. He clung to Rarity, watching Twilight, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie struggling to put up some kind of defensive front. “And where’s Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy? Shouldn’t they be here?”

Rarity glanced around, worried about them as well. “I don’t know, but we have to do something. We can’t just let . . .” and Rarity stopped as she noticed the absence of magic from Twilight. Seconds later she gasped in realization, “Oh my stars! Twilight, her cutie-mark, it’s gone!”

Spike’s eyes watered as he said, “But what’ll we do! We have no magic! And Lord Chaosis has all of ours. What are we gonna do?”

“The Ember Emerald,” came a voice from behind. And when they turned around, Celestia and Luna exited the colosseum behind them. Though a bit weak, the two princesses still commanded the elegant sense of awe with their presence.Celestia wasted no time, “The Ember Emerald powers Lord Chaosis’ armor. It holds the magic of all the ponies he steals from. The armor is simply a means to harness that magic.”

“So we get the emerald, we stop Chaosis!” Spike exclaimed, “How do we do that? He won’t let anyone near him.”

Celestia smiled down at the two and said, “Don’t worry. You’re going to do fine Spike.” And Spike, ready to interrupt, was immediately silenced by the princess, “You can get the emerald because you’re small, and can easily sneak up on Lord Chaosis without him noticing.”

“I-I don’t think I can do that.” Spike whispered, courage leaving his body as he stared down over the battlefield. Cloudsdale had become a wasteland because of this pony.How was a baby dragon supposed to stand up to a pony like Lord Chaosis?

“Spike please,” Rarity begged, “You can do this! You’ve always had our backs before. Besides . . . I believe in you. I know you can do it.” And she did the one thing that could evaporate his fear, and give him the strength to say yes. She kissed him. On his cheek, her lips pressed firmly against him, causing Spike to blush. Princess Luna chuckled and blushed at the sight along with her sister.

Time was short, and they had to move fast. Rarity jumped out and galloped over to her friends.By this point, Twilight could no longer stand, and Rarity joined her two friends standing at Twilight’s side. “Now just stop right there!” She exclaimed, “I think you’ve gone quite far enough with your . . . cavorting around here!”

Lord Chaosis laughed manically and stared down at Rarity. “Now who is this? I don’t believe we’ve met.”

Celestia stepped out next to Rarity, to the surprise and anger of Chaosis. “She’s a friend. And you’re not done with us yet!” Luna stepped out as well, leaving Lord Chaosis speechless. He stammered as he stared from the two princesses to the three smaller ponies guarding the fatigued Twilight. “So you’ve been freed! No matter. Without your magic, you have nothing!”

Celesita smiled and quipped, “Then we’re the same as you.”

“Ha! Enough of your prattle! With my Ember Emerald, I am . . .” and Lord Chaosis glanced down. But his green stone had vanished. No longer on his armor, he looked up to scream in maddening anger, but instead was met with a large lasso from Applejack who strung him up and quickly hog tied him.Pinkie Pie jumped in and bucked the cutie-mark generating rings out of place, effectively disabling his armor.

“It’s over Chaosis. You’ve been defeated. You shall be placed back into Tartarus, and this time, I will personally see to it that you are never allowed the chance to escape again.” Celestia announced, glaring down into Chaosis’ eyes.

“Impressive,” he admitted, “but we shall see how long your black pit holds me this time. This shall not be our final meeting. That I can assure you.” And with that, he was gagged and silenced.

The fighting over, the battle won, everyone regrouped as Twilight struggled to her feet.The draining of the magic had taken a toll on her. She swayed back and forth and her friends had to catch her from toppling over. Celestia looked down at her, “I am so sorry Twilight for all of this.”

Twilight smiled and looked up to the princess. “It’s okay. We stopped Lord Chaosis. That’s what matters.” And then glancing around, she noticed two very important ponies missing. “Where’s Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash?”

After a brief silence, Applejack eventually answered, “After Lord Chaosis took your magic, he swung a pillar at Rainbow Dash. When she was hit, Fluttershy took off after her. That’s the last I saw of them.” And Applejack sat down, staring at the ground, “I tried to warn Rainbow Dash not charge him like that. But she couldn’t hear me.” Her voice shaken with worry as her shoulders slumped down.

“Don’t worry Applejack!” Pinkie Pie exclaimed excitedly, the win over Lord Chaosis present in each hop she performed around her friends. “I’m certain Rainbow Dash is fine! Fluttershy wouldn’t let us down like that!”

Slightly comforted by the party pony’s words, Applejack smiled and Princess Luna unfolded her wings. “I’ll go check on them for you. For all of you.” She said and with a sincere thanks from Applejack, Luna flew swiftly off into the clouds.

Turning back to Celestia, Twilight, afraid for the answer, asked, “What about our magic? How will we get it back?”

“Don’t worry,” Princess Celestia comforted, “I had some pony start working on this the moment I learned of the Ember Emerald.” Truly, it was the one aspect of Lord Chaosis that Celestia had not been aware of.She knew of his armor, his power, but had not been aware of the emerald that powered it all. She felt so foolish for being ignorant of such a powerful stone. She only knew of the armor’s abilities, and not of its power source.

This news brightened everyone’s moods as Pinkie Pie continued to dance around the group. Twilight, though exhausted, sat satisfied on the clouds as she relished in the relaxing air of peace that could now return to Cloudsdale. It’d be a long time before the mobile city would be the same. The construction alone would take months. Though first she supposed they had to get the city away from the Bad Lands. How Chaosis had accomplished that, she did not know. But now it hardly mattered. And with a glimpse of Princess Luna returning in the distance, she no longer cared.

Princess Luna landed softly on the cloudy ground, the fluffiness already starting to return to the city.She walked silently to the group, their bright, hopeful expressions hurt her even more.For the news she bore would tear their hearts apart.She bit her lip as she struggled to find the right words for what had taken place below the city.

Celestia, knowing her sister better than anyone, quickly picked up on Luna’s disturbed demeanor. “Luna, is everything alright?” A soft shake of her head quieted the group. Pinkie Pie stopped bouncing. Spike’s eyes fell from Rarity to Luna.

Twilight, taking a deep breath, asked cautiously, “What happened?”

Feeling her mouth go dry, Luna’s eyes moistened. “There . . . There’s been a terrible accident. Rainbow Dash, she . . .”

Applejack’s ears perked up at the pony’s name. “What about Rainbow Dash? Is she hurt? How bad?” Luna’s sudden difficulty in speaking was starting to get to Applejack. At hearing Dash’s name, she wanted to know, needed to know. Whatever had happened, Apple jack just needed to know . . . that Rainbow Dash was going to be okay.

Luna whimpered, scaring the girls. She could feel their gazes on her. Their worried exchanges, their endless questions, all making it so much harder to tell.But she had to. They deserved to know. They’d find out if she didn’t tell them. But Luna had no such plan. She looked them square in the eyes, all of them, letting her sorrow show as she managed only two words, “She’s dead.”

Author's Note:

Well, this was my first foray into MLP fan-fiction. It's something I've been meaning to add here for a long time. This story came about after I found myself in a rather depressed mood and ended up watching some MLP music videos on Youtube featuring some rather sad, but well-done fan-art. I was inspired by some of the images to write this piece.

I created the villain that the girls could fight in this chapter, mainly because I wasn't very familiar with the other villains at the time. I will say that I did enjoy writing him, so who knows, maybe I'll use him again sometime. Also, this is the only chapter where he makes an appearance.

With all that being said: please read, review, and enjoy.