• Published 4th May 2018
  • 435 Views, 3 Comments

The Bitter Taste of Love - QuantumKitten



V'tara isn't what you'd exactly call a normal changeling. And in a world where war looms on the horizon, where Princesses and Queens collide, she seems very out of place.

  • ...
 3
 435

Chapter Two- The Attack

"Now, never attack a changeling if you can help it. When discovered they would rather flee then fight, but corner one or threaten it's hive? Its Queen? Bad idea.

The changelings form is designed for fighting, their fangs, claws and wings combined with their innate magic gives them far greater durability then the average beast you'll find in the likes of the Everfree forest.

Most importantly don't let one near your heart. Keep the emotional shield spells raised as the previous chapter had discussed. No, the average changeling doesn't have spells, but they can drain a pony of any emotion if they feel the need. Celestial forbid, if you're ever unlucky enough to spy a Queen...

My dear students, you have not yet seen the blood frenzy of a truely enraged Queen. I pray you will never have to..."

-Rose Leaf, Changeling Biology and Practices Vol I


V'tara ran through the tunnels, bumping into fellow changelings as the rumbling stopped.

Large, armored changelings of the warrior caste moved swiftly throughout the crowds towards the tunnels that led to the overground. Clad in overlapping plates of chitin and steel, their faces were locked into a scowl behind fanged helmets. Strapped tightly to their backs were evil looking spears. The blades glinted in the dull green light.

"I have to... I don't know what I need to do!" She thought, stopping in her tracks. The shelters were for the workers, hatchlings and the sick. Safe, but they wouldn't be able to help...

The young, scared changeling shook her head. No, if the hive wanted the workers in the shelter then that's where she would go. She took off again, ducking into a side passage. Ahead lay the shelter doors- thick and reassuringly resilient to attack.

She'd almost made it to the shelter, lungs heaving, when the first spell found its mark. It ruptured through the ceiling as it made contact with the doorway that she'd just ran through. A flash of scarlet fire caught her eye as V'tara looked behind. And then a scream caught in her throat as the changeling was flung to one side by the force of the explosion. Everything went black as rubble rained down from the ceiling.

Pain shot up one foreleg as her eyes snapped open. The smell of brimstone was overpowering as she painfully and slowly staggered onto her feet, wincing as the pain shot upwards and into her horn.

Ahead lay the remnants of the spell, an orb hovering at one end of the tunnel. Scarlet flames spilled outward, licking the walls as the wildfire started to spread. In the distance explosions and distant screams could be heard as similar spells ripped the hive apart. "No... this can't be happening! W-what would Korak do? H-He'd find a way out... Spinning around, a hoof raised in front of her eyes as they rapidly accustomed to the daylight now streaming through the ceiling, V'tara's heart dropped. The shelter door was intact but rubble blocked the doorway. "Hello? Anyone? Please let there be someone in there!" Her eyes widened. She couldn't sense any changelings on the other side.

Which only left one other option if she didn't want to be burned alive. The crack in the ceiling.

V'tara started coughing, the smoke almost overwhelming as she hauled herself into the crack. The spell had been efficient, boring through the ground and leaving a cylindrical, upwards tunnel in it's wake. Pressing her back against one side of the wall and her hindlegs against the other V'tara started to climb, the wildfire now burning fiercely underneath.

Slowly, painfully, she inched her way upwards, tears streaming down her face as the smoke burned her lungs. "Can't stop now... I can't." An eternity seemed to pass, and then eventually she'd reached the top, clambering over the holes edge and collapsing, inhaling lungfuls of fresh air in relief.

She was on a hillside, looking over a forest... and in between the knurled, crooked trees and blackened leaves a battle was raging, oddly quiet and disconnected from her position. Hundreds of ponies, draped in gold and purple were meeting the changeling forces head on. Ponies with bizarre pointed hats were casting the spells that had nearly killed her. Wildfire whipped through the trees, finding their targets with brutal precision. It was obvious who was going to win.

"We... we're losing..." V'tara said in shock.

"Yes. You are." Spoke a golden voice from behind. V'tara looked around, stumbling over her feet as she tried to get away. A tall white Alicorn was standing, watching. The daylight seemed to dull around them, unable to compete with the radiance that emanated. It's mane was a rainbow of color, flowing in a wind that didn't exist.

And It was crying. Crying with jaw clenched firmly, surveying the scene that was happening below with a terrible resolve. V'tara shivered. She wanted to scream, to attack the figure allowing this to happen with everything that she could summon. But all that could stumble out of her mouth was a pained whimper. "Why... Why are you doing this?"

The Alicorn looked at V'tara with a terrible sadness. "For my sister."

A roar shook the Goddess out of her stupor. V'tara's Queen had joined the fray, ripping through the pony forces with terrifying ease. The Alicorn sighed and strode down from the hillside. It stopped for an instant, glancing at the wounded, useless changeling that was staring back, pleading in her eyes. "You. In my sister's name.."

"Run."