• Published 30th Apr 2018
  • 218 Views, 2 Comments

A Knight's Tales - Modern Masquerade



A collection of short stories comprising the life and times of Prism Ward, Knight of Equestria.

  • ...
 2
 218

Arts and Crafting

Prism took a step back from her desk to appreciate her work. From the pink coat to the striped mane, it really was a faithful little plush. Button eyes and a stitched smile gave a kind look to the filly. The rough edges, unavoidable ramifications of its hoof crafting, only made it better. With a sincere smile, Prism grabbed the little pony plush and ran haphazardly down the stairs to show her ma and pa.

Sight Ward settled into her chair, a wicker piece right by the fireplace. With a hard day of patrolling and even some action, she was certainly enjoying the opportunity to rest. Before she could so much as take a sip of hot tea, she heard Prism barreling down the stairs, a smile coming to her face. Hammer said she was working on something today, and now she got a glimpse. Carried in Prism’s mouth was a hoof stitched doll of her. Sight couldn’t stifle a soft laugh as Prism nearly tripped at the bottom of the stairs as she turned to run into her. Prism jumped up onto the wicker chair with her, dropping the plush proudly between them. “Now, what did you make there?” Sight cooed.

“I made a you, ma!” Prism squeaked, snuggling into her mother as she looked up with happiness in her eyes.

Lifting the doll to inspect its work, Sight nodded down to Prism, “I can see that, sweet pea.” Her eyes narrowed as she noticed something, turning the doll’s flank to her daughter, “Looks like the mark might have been a bit much though.” Prism nodded, hiding her face in the blanket she’d hopped onto. “Let’s see if I can’t help with that,” Sight continued, pointing toward the mantle, “mind fetching my thread and needles?”

Prism hopped off of her ma, nodding happily, before reaching up as high as her little body could to try and fetch the basket. When she couldn’t quite reach it, she noticed it come alight with a sapphire aura. Turning back toward Sight, Prism insisted softly, “I can get it, ma.” Sight only nodded sagely, knowing she’d moved it enough already. When Prism jumped to just barely catch the basket, she made a muffled ‘see’ to her ma as she brought the basket back.

With her deft hornwork, and Prism’s help to pick the closest colors of thread, Sight had no issue in embroidering a reasonable facsimile of her cutie mark into the plush, and a matching one for the other side. After all, she reasoned, what kind of child’s toy wouldn’t have both cutie marks. When she’d finally finished, she picked the doll up in her magic, moving it like a puppet to bow and thank the ponies for their help. Amused by these antics, Prism played with her mother until the darkness of night signaled that it was time for rest, holding the plush close in her bed.

Feeling her heart warm at the scene gave Sight Ward an idea for a surprise. Sharing the idea to Hammer, he heartily agreed, and started his work. Meanwhile, she carefully snatched the plush away from her sleeping daughter. Placing it in an eldritch circle along with a few basic regents, Sight started to intone complex magical formulae and focused her magic on the plush, lifting it in the air until the enchantment was finished. After a few hours of work from each parent, their plan was complete. Satisfied, they decided to call it a late night, getting ready for morning.

When Prism awoke, she immediately scrambled about looking for her precious plush. Crying out in frustration at her fruitless search, both Hammer and Sight came to ‘find out what happened’. Prism started to break into childhood tears as she explained, “I was sleeping with my ma doll, but she went missing.”

Hammer started to feign looking about the room for the lost toy, while Sight sat next to the distraught filly to comfort her. Pulling her into a tight hug, she spoke with a reassuring tone, “It’s okay, it’s okay. She was a little me, she’ll be fine.” Seeing the signal from Hammer, she gave Prism a small peck on the forehead before continuing, “I mean, if it were me, I’d look for my armor and keep you safe.”

Just then, Hammer gave a bit of a start as he was looking under the bed, “Oh, well would you look at this?” Prism looked confused, but made her way off the bed to look where he pointed. There she saw her doll in a sized set of armor posed with its hoof triumphant on a dust bunny. Prism snatched the plush up to give it a fond hug, and found it gave a soft warmth not unlike the hugs of her own ma. Both her parents responded to her squeal of delight, “Happy birthday, sweet pea!”

Author's Note:

Another non-chronological piece, this one takes place well before Prism even enters the university.