• Published 26th Jul 2012
  • 861 Views, 5 Comments

Canterlot University - The Story of Three Ponies - Sigil Flare



A story following Steam gear Vinyl Scratch and Octavia through their misadvetures at C. U.

  • ...
 5
 861

Chapter 1


It was everything Steam gear had ever imagined it would be. Canterlot University the biggest most prestigious University in all of Equestria. It's ground covered half of the richer district of Canterlot. That was only half of it. The rest was for the Pegasus, there were huge cloud constructs in the sky hovering over the grounds. A few fourth year unicorns could probably get up there to their magic but earth ponies were stuck aground.

Although making it hard on earth ponies to reach the aerial levels of the facilities, they did have balloons for the purpose. Steam Gear himself was a Pegasus, he had no problem getting to his dorm room in the clouds. He was glad to find that he didn't have a room mate yet. His room was alright but he had to say it's simple decorations were nothing compared to the grounded University.

The courtyard was riddled with art projects of the more talented students. They ranged from golden Celestia statues to some more intricate pieces that Steam couldn't possibly describe. He absorbed it all as he walked into the main hall. The first thing he noticed was the sheer number of ponies. He couldn't take to steps without running into somepony.

It was in situations like this that his smaller stature and rippled brown coat came in handy. Steam edged his way around the cloud hardly being noticed thanking his lucky goggles for keeping his usually wild mane in check. He was wearing a leather jacket that complemented his coat rather nicely. His mark on his flank was what had given him his name. It was a gear spinning with a cloud of steam in the bottom right corner.

He was halfway around when he saw a pony in the crowd that drew his attention. She was a snowy white unicorn with a frazzled spiky blue mane. She had a grin on her face as her gaze washed over the ponies in the room. She was wearing a pair of headphones with purple trim and purple tinted silver shades. She had a double quarter note on her flank. There was something about her that stuck out from the rest like her very presence dominated the area around her attracting all attention.

Her gaze fell on Steam Gear and she stopped. The unicorn murmured something to the group of ponies around her and began to trot towards him. At first Steam was a little nervous but as he watched her getting closer he relaxed. Although she dominated her area she was pretty down to earth. Those brave enough to approach received a “What's sup” or a Hoof bump those that didn't got flashed a smile or heared a “Wub Wub” come from her headphones.

As she finally broke from the crowd she waved at Steam and said “Hey you”

“Hello” said Steam nervously kneading the floor under his hoof

“Wow dude no reason to freak or anything” replied the unicorn putting on a obviously fake frown “Only came to say hello”

“Oh” replied Steam Gear rubbing the back of his neck with a hoof in embarrassment “Sorry”

“No prob man” replied the unicorn extending a hoof “Names Vinyl Scratch, also known as DJ- PON3”

“My names Steam Gear” he replied bumping her hoof “Did you say you were a DJ? I've never heard of you”

“Well I'm not recorded or anything” said Vinyl admittedly putting a chink in her smile “But I'd beat you're not one to visit many clubs anyways”

“Yeah that's true” replied Steam with a chuckle There was something about Vinyl's laid back attitude that just made him feel relaxed “Sorry but I'm not much of a social pony”

“I could fix that if you want” said Vinyl her expression changing to a mischievous grin “I have a gig at a club later this week. I could sneak you a VIP pass if you want.”

“I won't decline an offer like that” said Steam thinking it over “But why me? I mean we just met?”

“So..” said Vinyl playing with her hair innocently “Does that bother you?”

“Not really” replied Steam raising a hoof to adjust his goggles “You seem like a nice enough pony”

“I should hope so” replied Vinyl with a laugh “I am a DJ after all. My job is to get pony's to have a good time” Steam sat back and thought about that for awhile before asking

“Hey who else will be in the VIP section with me?” he asked

“Well I haven't decided yet” admitted Vinyl blushing a bit this time “It's my first year here actually. Your the first one invited. I guess that makes you special dude.”

Steam smiled at that thought. Him special. Well there's a first time for everything. Vinyl turned as someone called her name from inside the mass of ponies.

“Well that's my cue” replied Vinyl with a wave goodbye “See you again Steam” with that she walked away to be lot in the surge of ponies

Steam walked along his confidence raised by meeting what he hoped to be a new friend in this wondrous place. This last until he took his first step out of the door into the main grounds. It was huge with walking paths crossing intersecting and weaving through the grass. Steam fumbled through his saddle bags for the map of the grounds he picked up on his way in. He couldn't find it.

“Having a problem” asked a accented voice from his right

He turned to see a ash gray mare trotting in his direction. Her black mane perfectly falling over her shoulders. A pink bow tie around her neck. Her eyes were purple jewels. She had a treble cleft adorned on her flank. She stepped gracefully every step precise and elegant. She was obviously from a wealthy house and probably a Canterian herself.

“Yeah I seem to have lost my map of the grounds” replied Steam a little embarrassed

“Well then Greetings” said the pony with a elegant bow “My name is Octavia, and I would be glad to help you out”

There was something about this pony. It was different from Vinyl. She was graceful and elegant obviously more mature than any other pony her age. That being said she had certain qualities that made her more approachable. She was nice and willing to help another pony out.

“Alright” said Steam “My name is Steam Gear”

“It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance Mr. Gear” replied Octavia warmly “What is it you are trying to find exactly?”

“Um let me check” replied Steam rummaging through his saddle bag Pulling out his schedule for this semester he said “I need to find the Sociology room”

“What a coincidence” said Octavia giving him a smile “That's where I was heading myself”

“Well if you know where it is then..” started Steam hoping Octavia could guess his intentions

Thankfully Octavia lifted a eyebrow and then replied “I could let you accompany me there if you would like”

“I would be very grateful for your help” replied Steam extending a hoof in thanks

“Octavia looked at it and carefully took it in hers and shook it lightly saying “Your welcome” she then began trotting in the direction of a building on the other side of the grounds taking the straightest path. “This way please”

Silence descended on the walk to the room. It ended when they walked inside. The room was abuzz with chatter from ponies either seated in groups or standing in the isles. Steam took a seat and said goodbye to Octavia as she trotted to hers. He didn't get a chance to look around as a black stallion with silver hair and a luxurious beard walked out to the podium center of the room.

“Everyone take there seats” he said clearing his throat Once everyone was seated he continued “My name is Silver. I know ironic thanks to my hair color” He laughed at his own joke a few of the students in the front row gave a chuckle “I will be your Sociology teacher for this semester. I would like to start of with an exercise for us to get to know each other a little better”

The class let out a tired moan. A pony Steam recognized as Octavia stood up and said “Is this really necessary professor ? What if we don't wish to associate with these ponies outside of class”

A second pony stood up which Steam recognized as Vinyl and yelled “Hey some of us have lives out of class Miss Priss” some of the class Ohhhh'd at the burn as she continued “And we would like to figure out who's great at party's and who can do our homework”

Octavia let out a Hmph and sat down obviously flustered at Vinyl's manner.

“Wow seems we have some drama already” said Silver smiling “I think we should have you two ladies introduce yourselves first. Since you both seem so excited about this exercise”

Octavia stood up and said “I'll go first then” she shot a glare at Vinyl before continuing “My name is Octavia. I was born in Filydelphia. I like music and I play Cello professionally and hope to make it into the Canterlot Royal Orchestra”

“Oh so your that kind of Musician” said Vinyl rather loudly starting to laugh

“What does that mean?” yelled Octavia blushing in embarrassment

“It means your an upper class mare who had everything planted into her hooves.” said Vinyl mockingly “It also means that you believe that your high class music is better than everything else”

“What makes you think you can say such slanderous things like that?” yelled Octavia furiously

Vinyl stood up and raised her hooves and said proudly “My name is Vinyl Scratch. I was born in the Slums of Manehatten. I live music and I am a rising DJ pushing for an album.”

“Oh I see” said Octavia taking a minute to think before replying “So your a low class pony who beats rocks with sticks to generate loud obnoxious sounds that nopony with even a bit of sense would find even remotely interesting”

“THE BUCK DID YOU JUST SAY!!!?” screamed Vinyl slamming both her hooves into her desk cracking it in the process This had the desired effect on her adversary. She cringed at the barbaric display and swallowed the lump in her throat.

“I don't believe I stuttered” said Octavia folding her arms in front of her chest in defiance feeling more than a little scared

Vinyl knocked her chair over standing up and marching in the direction of the source of her fury her horn glowing “Oh I believe a spoiled brat like you doesn't know a thing about music” said Vinyl practically spitting out the words “Or at least you wouldn't if daddy and mommy hadn't taught you from birth”

Octavia stood up and trotted at her adversary not wanting to be outdone in this confrontation. “Oh how very mature of you to keep insulting my heritage” she said venom in her voice she glared at Vinyl as she added “At least I had parents who cared about me enough, not to abandon me”

At this comment the entire classroom went silent. Steam Gear felt this had gone on long enough. He looked to the teacher seeing him jaw dropped speechless. He was about to break it up when Vinyl screamed in rage bringing her hoof back for a full out punch. He took to the air using his wings for a extra burst of speed. He rushed into the path of the punch taking it in his stomach.

The force of the punch was amazing. “I guess it is true what they say” Steam thought as he plummeted into the desk behind him breaking it in two “Hell hath no fury like that of a mare scorned” All of the air was knocked out of his lungs when he hit the desk and his vision blurred. He could make out a white and gray blur in front of him.

As for Vinyl and Octavia all the rage drained out of both of them. Vinyl instant realized the stallion she had just sacked to be her friend Steam. As for Octavia she recognized the gentlecolt she had escorted to this very classroom. They looked at each other with expressions of horror printed on their faces.

Steam coughed ,a little blood escaping his lips, as the professor regained control of his nerves.

“Ladies” he screamed with authority “Control yourselves now!” both Vinyl and Octavia sat on their haunches in shame their ears drooping

“Now if you want any chance for the both of you not to be expelled immediately” said Silver harshly his gaze burning holes through the ashamed duo “I suggest you carry this injured stallion to the infirmary now”

Vinyl wrapped Steam's hoof around her neck and Octavia did the same with his other. They then helped him stand and walk out of the room into the courtyard. They were silent halfway till Steam opened his mouth.

“Why did you two just do that?” asked Steam coughing

“You heard what she said” replied Octavia indignantly

“You weren't exactly perfect either sunshine” replied Vinyl

“What I heard” said Steam shrugging off the assisting mares and turning to face them swaying a bit at the sudden change in direction. Man that punch had been a doosy. “Was a couple of whiny fillies bickering about biased opinions and old stereotypes. I dare either of you to say differently?”

When neither mare dared object to his announcement he continued “I know neither of you meant for this to happen. I chose to fly into that punch myself, and I'll stick to that. You two however are both wonderful mares in your own right and are letting stereotypes get in the way.”

“You just met me how do you know I'm wonderful?” asked Vinyl trying to poke a hole in this barrage of sheer logic

“So.. does that bother you” replied Steam playing with his goggles “besides it takes a pretty wonderful mare to punch that hard”

“Oh” said Vinyl blushing at first because of the irony of what Steam just said and once more at the joke of her punching him

“What about me Mr. Gear?” asked Octavia “Why am I so wonderful”

“Because Octavia, when I first met you I thought you were a true Canterian” said Steam admittedly “It takes a pretty wonderful mare to live up to the strict rules and graceful conduct of Canterlot's elite”

“Oh” said Octavia blushing at the complement Never before had someone said she was as graceful as a Canterian.

“I think you both could be really good friends if you tried” continued Steam “All you need to do is try”

“How do you know so much about this kind of stuff Steam?” asked Vinyl scratching her head

“There is a reason I was in a Sociology class Vinyl” replied Steam losing his balance falling onto his haunches “by the way I may actually need the infirmary” The mares picked him up and continued their way to the infirmary. None of them noticed the spectator leaning against the wall in the shadows.

All Steam was sure of as he looked at the two mares carrying him along, was that this was going to be a very long year.