• Published 21st Apr 2018
  • 980 Views, 30 Comments

Fluttershy's Critter Capers - CapNTilfy



Whenever Fluttershy isn't hanging out with her friends, she's hanging out with animals. This is her story. Book 6 of "Not Just Any Old Day".

  • ...
2
 30
 980

The Shy of the Storm

Fluttershy led all of her chosen comfort animals back to the car. "All right, everyone! Single file, please!" she said as they all entered her car. "I know you all don't want to go back to the animal shelter, but you have to understand. My dad has allergies." Fluttershy gave them all a sympathetic look. "I promise you're going to be in good hands. I trust each and every one of the staff. They'll treat you just as well as I do." she smiled. The animals gave her a look of understanding as she drove them back to the shelter.

----------------------------------------------

Once Fluttershy brought all the animals back to the shelter, she shed a tear. It always breaks my heart having to leave them there, but no animal has stayed there for too long. Every animal gets adopted. She wiped the solitary tear from her face, then checked her phone for updates on Sunset.

I'm heading over to Sunset's! Fluttershy, did you leave the door unlocked?- Sent by Rainbow Dash

Fluttershy responded.

I did, you shouldn't have any trouble getting in.- Sent by Fluttershy

Fluttershy went back to her car, this time she did recite the Driving Safety Rhyme, and drove her way home.

----------------------------------------------

Once she arrived, her phone buzzed.

Hey, Fluttershy! Sorry you've got the place to yourself for so long. I hope you didn't forget your mom and I are having a weekend vacation. Love, Dad. - Sent by Dad

I did forget. Fluttershy sighed. Still, it's nice to have the place to myself.

She went up to her room, put her headphones on and passed the time listening to relaxing music. Closing her eyes and nodding to the beat, she reached a certain state of calm that only these songs could bring her to. A state of nostalgia back to when she was younger, and the many happy memories she shared with her family that she associated these tunes to. This, in part, inspired her to write songs for the Rainbooms.

Fluttershy felt that writing music was a safe way of baring her soul to the public without being worried about judgment from her peers. It felt therapeutic and releasing at the same time when playing those songs. She may not be the main vocals for their band, but she would always sing her heart out despite the intimacy laced within the lyrics.

After a while, she finished listening to music. She went back outside to get some more sun. It's far too nice to be cooped up inside, after all! She took another deep breath and, despite the smell of meat being grilled, exhaled a contented sigh. Her phone buzzed.

Uh, guys? Sunset started sweating like crazy, and she tried to take off her clothes in front of me! I had to turn down the temperature to stop her!- Sent by Rainbow Dash

I didn't know Sunset swung that way!- Sent by Pinkie Pie

No, Pinkie, it means her fever's breaking! She's on the road to recovery!- Sent by Twilight Sparkle

Finally, some good news!- Sent by Rarity

Well it's about damn time!- Sent by Applejack

Fluttershy smiled and sent a text of her own.

Yay!- Sent by Fluttershy

Good for Sunset. It'll be great to see her back to her old self. Fluttershy giggled to herself. Well, not her old old self. Her old new self.

Fluttershy continued to bask in the sunlight for about a hour longer, then went back inside, as inspiration struck suddenly. She rushed to her room and grabbed her notebook and a pen, writing the lyrics that were fresh in her mind. Smiling, she kept the notebook with her the rest of the day. You never know when it will strike! Speaking of things that strike... Her momentary rush of excitement born from inspiration dissipated and gave way to boredom.

Well, it was nice while it lasted, she thought as she sighed in disappointment. She heard a familiar meow. "Hello again, Lemon Squeezy!" At least I have some company. It'll pass the time. "What brings you back so soon?"

Lemon Squeezy meowed.

"A skunk is bothering you?" said Fluttershy. "Haven't you thought of asking the skunk why?"

Lemon Squeezy meowed.

"Well, I'm sure if you both talked it out you could come to some sort of solution."

Lemon Squeezy meowed.

Fluttershy sighed. "Okay, fine. If you're that afraid I'll help you out."

Lemon Squeezy purred and rubbed himself against Fluttershy's ankle. She scratched the cat behind the ears, then followed the cat to where the skunk was.

The skunk appeared to look warily at Lemon Squeezy, then frightened when it saw Fluttershy coming its way.

Fluttershy stopped just a few feet short of the skunk. She held up her hands to indicate she meant no harm. "It's okay, I won't hurt you." she gave the skunk a reassuring smile.

The skunk seemed to relax a bit, but was still visibly afraid.

Fluttershy looked at the skunk. "Don't worry, I only came here to talk." she gestured to the cat. "Lemon Squeezy here says you're bothering him. I came here to hear your side of the story so I'd know the truth of the matter." The skunk slowly let its guard down and made a few squeaks. Fluttershy listened intently, nodding every now and then. "Okay, I think I understand."

Fluttershy looked at Lemon Squeezy. "Lemon Squeezy, Striper here says he's just as afraid of you as you are of him." She then turned her attention to Striper. "Striper, I guarantee that Lemon Squeezy wishes you no harm. He was just curious. It's in a cat's nature, after all." she smiled.

Slowly, Lemon Squeezy and Striper walked towards each other, their guards remaining up until they were within a few feet of each other. Moving in closer, they both sniffed the air, as if testing the waters. They accidentally touched noses and Lemon Squeezy flinched, but cautiously walked closer to Striper. They both made contact, and Lemon Squeezy started purring and rubbing himself against Striper.

Fluttershy smiled. "Aww, you two made friends with each other!" She nodded with satisfaction. "My work here is done."

Author's Note:

Why do these stories get progressively shorter? I feel like that's a thing that should bother me...

This chapter takes place directly after Animal House from Sunset Shimmer's Sick Day.