• Published 20th Apr 2018
  • 915 Views, 14 Comments

Starlight's Shattered Glass - jrock117



In which Starlight makes a great discovery after breaking a very special mirror and dealing with an ansty Twilight.

  • ...
2
 14
 915

Informative, Trixie's Adventure

"Mm mm mm! Spike, these waffles are amazing!" Twilight spoke between her mouthfull.

"Blueberries and lemon juice always seem to do the trick." Spike threw a chunk of waffle into his own maw, chewing on the warm, flaky breakfast. "What do you think Starlight? ... Uhh, Starlight?" Spike looked to the unicorn, she seemed to be lost in another world, just poking around at her waffle, fork held in her blue magic, staring off into a corner of the kitchen. They had decided to eat there since Twilight wanted to polish the dining room table that day. Spike waved to the pale purple pony, "Helllooooo. Equestria to Starlight."

"Huh?" Starlight jerked her head a bit, fork falling on to her breakfast. "Oh, sorry, I got a little lost in thought."

"That wasn't hard to see." Spike bit off another chunk. Twilight took her attention away from her own waffles and looked to Starlight as well.

"You can tell us if something's wrong. I promise I won't freak out like I did yesterday."

"What? No, no, nothing's wrong." Starlight shook her head. "I'm just trying work out how to say this without sounding crazy." Twilight's face beared one of confusion and concern as she looked to her student. Spike, however...

"Starlight, you live in Ponyville. You could say anything and it probably won't be as crazy as what will happen days from now." He chewed on another piece, mumbling to himself just loud enough for Starlight to hear. "Feels like every other day, something crazy happens here." Starlight took a shallow breath.

"Well, remember that mirror Trixie gave me so I could replace the one I broke?"

"Please don't tell me." Twilight inhaled a bit as she hoped what she was thinking wasn't correct.

"Don't worry, it's still fine. It's just..." Starlight trailed off, chewing the inside of her cheek. "It may be more than just a mirror."

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked. Spike, after gulping down the last of his waffles, hopped from the stool he had been sitting on and slowly waddled off toward the door closest to Twilight.

"I'll get the fort ready." He said with a sigh.

"Fort?" The unicorn asked.

"Hehe, just ignore him." Twilight waved a hoof in the little dragon's direction, an uneasy smile on her face. "So, what was that about the mirror."

"Well," Starlight began, taking a deep breath. Just say it, she won't panic. If anything, she might get excited. "To make a long story short, I think it might be a portal to another world." Twilight blinked, her uneasy expression now replaced with a confused one.

"And what makes you think that?"

"I, kinda... Tripped on a cleaning rag and fell through it into someone else's home..."

"Someone?"

"Yes, they weren't a pony." Starlight could practically see Twilight's thought process as her eyes moved from left to right and back again. The young alicorn looked to her waffle.

"Ok, how about we finish breakfast, then investigate."

"Wait, you actually believe me?"

"Of course I do, Starlight. We're friends, besides, you don't have a reason to lie to me." The lavender alicorn giggled at her student/friend's behavior. "Besides, the possibility of another other world is just so... So..." Twilight let out a series of squee's as she downed her waffles.

---~<P>~---

"Naaaaiiiiilllll... Nnnnaaaaiiiiillll... Wake the fuck up, bitch..." Jason could almost make out a voice on the edge of consciousness. A short intake of air. "NNAAAAAIIIILLL!!!"

"Jesus, fuck I'm up, what!?" Jason, with vision still hazy, flailed off of the couch he had slept on. Two other voices could be heard, specifically from the television. The Game Grumps playlist was still playing. Rubbing the sleep from his eyes, he saught the one who woke him up. A familiar lanky figure appeared in front of him. Long black hair, black Motionless in White T-shirt with black and white striped jean shorts. "Davis? The Hell are you doing here?"

"I came..."

"To my house."

"To your hou- Damn it." Davis clapped his sides. "I was hoping you'd say 'what'." He looked over to the TV. "Ross Mario Maker levels?"

"Yeah." Jason looked over to his sink, his memory slowly coming back to him. "Hey dude, I had the weirdest dream."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, it felt more real than my spider nightmares, too."

"Huh." Davis sat and picked up a second controller, the right stick stuck downward.

"Yeah, I made a grilled cheese for candy colored unicorn."

"Pffft..." Davis kept a hand over his mouth. "Ok... That's pretty fucking weird."

"Yeah, I used the cast iron skillet."

"Huh." Davis stood up and looked at the sink. "Did you wash it in the dream?" Jason scratched the side of his neck.

"Not that I remember."

"Because it looks like you made a few grilled cheeses last night." Davis pointed over to kitchen. The skillet was still in the sink and there was a half eaten grilled cheese on the counter.

"That might've influenced my dream a bit." Jason got back up on the couch, stretching his arms upwards and popping his neck. "What time is it?"

"Only a little after seven. So, you wanna go a round at Storm 4?"

"Sure." Jason shrugged.

---~<P>~---

"So," Twilight began, "pictures don't go through it, but we can?"

"From what I tested last night, yes." Starlight nodded. Twilight proceeded to right that down on a tiny notebook she held in her magic.

"And you didn't change species?"

"Nope."

"Have you tested anything else? Like, say, when the portal opens?"

"I... Haven't." Starlight looked over to the mirror. I really hope it isn't a thirty moon thing like the mirror to CHS. "Couldn't we just check it right now?"

"What do you mean?" Twilight paused her scribbling down of notes.

"You know, just," Starlight hopped onto her dresser, right in front of her mirror, "walk through right now."

"NO!" Twilight yelled, causing Starlight to jump off. "We don't know what could happen! For all we know it could lead to some world that's nothing but lava!"

"How about we just send a note?"

"A note?"

"Yeah. Jason should get it if he doesn't have anything planned today."

"Jason?" Twilight pivoted her neck back.

"He's the person I met last night... Er, more like a few hours ago."

"Would that even work? You said it yourself that pictures can't go through."

"One way to find out." In a flash, Starlight had an inked quill and a piece of parchment in her blue grasp. Dear Jason... No, that's too formal... Starlight scratched down a few words onto the paper, scratching out some words here and there. She nodded at her note before rolling it up and gently floating it through the mirror.

"Hmm..." Twilight held her chin in thought.

"Yes?" Starlight watched as her teacher lifted one of the pictures, a smiling Starlight covered in baking stuffs next to Pinkie Pie, that were still stacked on the dresser in her lavender magic. Gently, she floated it through the mirror. "Ohh. That's what you were thinking." The picture floated back through the mirror, Twilight's magic grip still around it. "Looks like the mirror can transfer something to the other world if it has magic."

"And since we used our magic to levitate the picture and note, they were able to go through the mirror." Twilight finished.

"And hey, would you look at that!" The purple student pointed to the picture. "No burns, I guess that means it doesn't lead to a lava world after all." A smug grin found itself on her face while she looked at Twilight.

"There is still every possiblity the mirror can be dangerous. If it wasn't for Princess Celestia implying the mirror to CHS wasn't dangerous, I wouldn't have just gone through."

"And like I said, I fell through by accident! One second I'm examining the mirror, the next I'm falling horn first onto someone's dresser!" Twilight flinched at that.

"Ouch, you never told me you fell on your horn."

"It wasn't important." Starlight dismissively waved her hoof and turned her attention back to the mirror. "I wonder if he even noticed the note."

"It's possible that the note didn't even get him." Twilight walked to the other side of Starlight. "It could've gone somewhere else."

"But that wouldn't make sense. The mirror to CHS only goes to CHS. Why would this mirror be any different?"

"You forget that Starswirl the Bearded, himself, created the mirror to CHS."

"Oh, yeah, and it's not like he wasn't messing with magic he didn't understand at the time he made the mirror! He's not perfect, Twilight. We, the Princess of Friendship and her student, are talking about a pony that immediately through that away without a second thought. Also, we've managed to finish his own unfinished spells, one of them showing Princess Celestia that you were ready to become a Princess!"

"I KNOW!" Twilight ducked to the floor, covering her face with her hooves and wings. "I'm just... Not ready to admit the pony I looked up to for my whole life was was anything but perfect." Starlight felt a pang in her chest at seeing her friend cowering on the floor. She decided to lay next to the young alicorn to try and ease the tension.

"I'm sorry I said that," Starlight sighed, "I also have to give it to him, bringing him and the other pillars from Limbo was a bad idea."

"Yeah..."

Starlight looked around her room, her eyes landing on the stack of photos. She grabbed one in her magic and slid it under Twilight's wings, she saw them lift a bit and drag the photo closer. She smiled and turned her attention back to the mirror. Maybe I should throw something through the mirror, make a bit of noise just in case Jason notice.

---~<P>~---

"Well now, Hashirama, looks like it's just us."

"You're wrong, Madara. When a Kage fights, they fight with the will of the village they protect. You're not just fighting me, you're fighting the entirety of the Hidden Leaf Village!"

"Hmph, please, you preach so much about unity and will when none of that matters! All that matters is action! So stop babbling and show me just what the Hokage is capable of!"

"Fine, one shall stand, and one shall fall."

"Why throw away your life so wrecklessly?"

"I should be asking you the same thing."

"... ..."

"..."

"Mother fucker, hit the Y button." Davis said.

"Oh, shit, right." Jason said as he pressed Y. Random locations on the television were raced over as one was landed on, a dark and (probably) dank cave with dripping stalactites and mighty stalagmites in the background, the area being lit up by a single entrance. "Hidden Snake Grotto it is."

"Damn it, I was hoping we'd get Final Valley," Davis gestured to the TV, "I mean, we got our best characters by hitting random. It only fits that we should get the best stage."

"Meh, I just want to keep my undefeated record."

"And you, sir, can just go fuck off a cliff."

"Hey, it's not my fault I'm so good at Storm 4."

"Actually, since you didn't really have a life for damn near a year, it kind of is your own fault."

"Whatever." The two began their virtual fight.

Davis, controlling Madara, immediately on the offensive, chakra dashed toward Jason, who was controlling Hashirama. Jason jumped, air dashing to catch Davis from behind. Davis hit the left trigger and warped out of the way, before groaning in irritation. Jason rushed him immediately in the air, capturing him in an air combo, but rather than finish the air combo, he air dashed again, keeping the combo longer, he dashed a third time and a fourth, before finally smashing Davis' character to the ground. Davis growled, physically standing up from the couch, Jason doing so as well, holding the Y button while Davis' character lied on the ground.

Finally, Madara stood up. Davis, pushing two buttons in succession, caused three dragons made of fire to spew from his mouth. Jason reacted by dashing backwards, still getting caught in the attack and taking damage. Jason swore as he repeatedly mashed the A button, allowing Hashirama to recover and land over a puddle. With the same succession of buttons as Davis, Hashirama threw out a giant shuriken, more popping into existence. Davis cursed as he dashed right into it, his health bar getting several bites of damage from the attack, and was thrown back afterwards. His character's armour had been broken by this point.

Jason heard a loud thunk emanate from his bedroom, a severe chilling sensation ran up his spine, a dizzy and hazy feeling filled his mind. He hadn't even noticed he looked away from the screen, and when he did look back up, he saw the still image of a silhouette being obliterated by a blue and white light, orange text was front and center stating Secret Technique Finish. He looked over to Davis, who had been looking at Jason.

"Are you alright?" Davis sat down, something Jason noticed he had also done. He nodded.

"Yeah... Just..." Jason rubbed his forhead, "I got the heaviest sense of deja vu and vertigo for a second." He turned his attention to his room, something lingering in the back of his mind, telling him to go back there. "Did you hear a noise?"

"What do mean?" Davis asked.

"... Nothing." Jason stood up and walked into his kitchen. "I'm just gonna check and see if anything fell in my room. Wanna cook up some pizza rolls for us while I'm back there?"

"Sure." Davis shrugged and walked into the kitchen too, opening the freezer door above the fridge while Jason walked down the hallway to his room, the curtain was drawn back.

It was probably nothing, just your mind playing tricks on you. He tried reasoning with himself, hoping nothing had broken itself. He looked down and found a grey, fist-sized rock on his carpet. He picked it up, seeing that it had a sort of blue colouring to it. Ah, you must've been the culprit. How did you even get in here? He turned the rock back and forth, viewing it from different angles, before placing it on his green dresser, right next to his alarm clock. The time read nine fifty-six AM. He turned to the mirror and a piece of paper caught his eye. It was rolled up like a scroll, slightly rolling back and forth as a breeze came in from his bedroom window. He walked over to it, picked it up (felt like the paper came from the 1800's), and read.

Dear, Jason

Hello friend!

Heyo

Jason,

Hi, a friend and I were just wondering if you could send something back through the mirror to show that we're still connected. Pretty please?

Signed,
Starlight Glimmer

Jason sat onto his bed, craning his neck so he didn't hit the railing of the bottom bunk. Starlight Glimmer... It all came rushing back; the tense meeting, the grilled cheeses, the question and answer session, the blue magic, the candy colored unicorn... Tiny candy coloured uncorn. Holy shit that wasn't a dream. Jason looked to his doorway, to the mirror, and back to the letter. Standing up and hitting his shoulder on the railing, he grunted as he searched the mess that was his top bunk. He pulled out a mechanical pencil with a red clip and wrote a short message onto it. A roll of clear tape made it's way into his periphery, he then looked to the rock. That must've come through the mirror too. Maybe she'll want it back. He taped the note to the oddly colored rock and gently tossed through the mirror, as if it weren't there.

"Hey, Jason," Davis called from the kitchen, "we having a rematch or what?"

"Yeah, just give me a minute." Jason quickly moved to his doorway and pulled the curtain, making it so Davis would be unable to see into the room. He noticed a fist-sized crack/hole/indent in his wooden wall, splinters sprinkled the floor below it. "I'm doing something, just get me when the rolls are done!"

"You sure you're ok?"

"Yes!" Jason turned back to the mirror, waiting for some response.

---~<P>~---

"Why did you throw a rock through the mirror?!" Twilight yelled, her wings flared.

"I just meant to toss it!" Starlight defended, her hooves raised as she sat of her haunches. "I wanted to get his attention!"

"I could understand that, but you just threw it with the force of Applejack trying to hit Rainbow with an apple!"

"You startled me!" She pointed at Twilight. "I was just trying to make a small bit of noise by rolling the rock onto his dresser, but then you yelled 'wait' at the top of your lungs! You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"That wasn't at the top of my lungs, I was just trying to get your attention so I could say to you 'How can he send anything back if his world doesn't have magic like you said?'! What if he was writing a response to the letter and got knocked over the head?"

"Then we should go over there and see if he's alright! Maybe take him to a hospital!"

"That sounds responsible!" Both Twilight and Starlight had there hooves on each other's shoulders at this point. They lowered their heads with a heavy sigh. Before anything else could be said, Starlight saw the rock she threw roll out of the mirror, onto and off of her dresser, and land on the floor, her letter taped to it. Twilight had heard it this against the floor and looked over. "W-Wha... Bu..." She sputtered as Starlight floated the rock back. She inspected the letter and found writing on the back, in some pretty bad hoofwriting. I mean... Handwriting...

Hey Starlight
can't talk now
have company over
talk to you later
maybe an hour
waiting for response
Jason

"But-But... How?..." Twilight asked. Starlight, meanwhile, just wrote under the message and the rolled the rock through the mirror.

"An hour. That should give us some time." Starlight said as she pulled Twilight to her hooves. She walked out of the room, Twilight not so far behind.

"Some time for what?"

"We're going to ask Trixie some questions."

---~<P>~---

The rolled back onto Jason's built-in dresser, he grabbed it and looked under his message, finding another one.

Ok, thank you for sending a message back, I'll talk to you later. I have things that I can do within an hour, and I might also bring some other ponies along with me.

Starlight Glimmer

"Ok... I have a portal to another world... Did I get enough freakout last night about this or do I still need to do some?" Jason said as he brushed his hand through his hair. He looked over to his clock which read ten oh one AM. So I should expect them around eleven. He looked to the curtain that was now acting as a door. He chewed his bottom lip. Should I tell Davis about this or let it happen? I only wrote an hour because I was hoping he wouldn't be here long, but that might not work out. Maybe this is all just dementia, he didn't hear the rock damn near breaking my wall like I did. He smiled a bit before grimacing. No, this is too real to be be just that... Maybe I should just get Davis back here before the hour's up and let whatever happens happen. He scratched the back of his neck as he left his room, walking back out to the living room. The smell of three meat and triple cheese pizza rolls filled the room, the culprit sitting on the bottom of an upended tub being used as a table. Two paper plates sat on it, both containing around twelve pizza rolls each.

"So he lives." Davis commented as Jason sat down on the couch parallel to the TV.

"I know, right?" Jason replied.

---~<P>~---

"How have I not noticed this?" Twilight asked as she looked at the faded purple paint of a wagon parked just around her castle. There was a small, unlit firepit.

"Trixie gave her reason as 'the last place she would ever look for Trixie would be right under her nose'," Starlight shrugged her shoulders, "looks like she was right." Starlight trotted to the door of the wagon and knocked three times. "Trixie! It's me, Starlight! Either wake up or open up!"

"Wake up?" Twilight cocked her head.

"Trixie has the weirdest sleep schedule." Starlight banged on the door. "Hey! Wake up! I have to ask you something!" A low rattle could be heard behind the door, the wagon shaking a tiny bit. Starlight backed up a bit and stood next Twilight, they both watched as a drowsy Trixie opened the door. She was wearing her usual star spangled nightcap, as well as a matching nightshirt and pants. Trixie yawned into her hoof and looked to Starlight with tired eyes.

"Trixie was having the most wonderful dream, why did you wake her?" Trixie asked.

"Trixie, I wanted to ask you a few questions about the mirror you gave me."

"What," a silent yawn escaped her, "about it?"

"Well," Twilight started, "for starters, can you tell us how you found it?"

"Hmm, Trixie supposes she could tell you." With that, Trixie slammed the door to her wagon shut.

"Well that was rude." Twilight groaned.

"Give her a second." Starlight said. Seconds ticked by without a sound, then what sounded like a cross between a snap and a boom was heard. Smoke could be seen through the window, filling up the single room. Trixie yanked a window up and dove outside, coughing a bit as she landed, smoke billowing out from the open window. She was now wearing her cape and hat, both seemed a little covered in white dust.

"Trixie forgot she threw her-cough, cough-magician's attire into her smoke bomb collection last night." Trixie said.

"Why did you get dressed?" Starlight asked, "We just wanted to know-" She was cut off by Trixie.

"How the Great and Powerful Trixie was gifted the replacement mirror!" She waved her hoof around, as if she were talking to a large audience.

"Oh no," Starlight said as she gave a low sigh, "better get comfy, Twilight, this could take a while." The two purple ponies sat, prepared to hear Trixie's amazing story.

"So, there she was, the Great and Powerful Trixie, walking along the dirt path, on her way returning from Baltimare."

"Wait," Twilight interrupted, "you walked, all the way to here, from Baltimare?" Trixie wilted a bit.

"Trixie can't afford taxis or train tickets..."

"Sorry..."

"So, there she was, working her amazing leg muscles, when suddenly, a long pillar of fire erupted from the forest she was walking around! She watched as the orange pillar Rose and rose and rose, until it was snuffed in an instant. She thought to herself, 'What in Equestria could cause such a thing?' So, with a sense curiosity, she ventured into the forest."

"Why, in Equestria, would you do that?" Twilight asked as she rubbed her muzzle. "What if it was dragon?"

"Trixie was curious." She shrugged. "Besides, it's not like Princess Twilight is perfect either. What was it that Trixie heard of a certain purple unicorn going crazy and making the whole town obsessed with a doll?"

"Ok! You made your point!"

"Hmph."

"Please, can you not flaunt your distaste for each other so we can get this over with?" Starlight pleaded.

"So," Trixie began again, "she had trekked through and around many roots and upended trees, snaking her way to the pillar of fire's previous location, keeping watch for any dangerous wildlife as she went. Minutes had passed, but she was sure she'd find it. Eventually, she came to a stop as she saw a pane of glass on the forest floor, directly in a line of sunlight. Above it, a long hole was seemingly cut through the tree tops, going directly toward the sky. Trixie, taking a closer look, had determined that this was where the pillar of fire had risen from, this mirror had to be something special! So, she took it, trotted out of the forest with a proud and powerful smile, and placed it in her wagon. Not even two hours later, Trixie's best friend, the Great and Powerful Starlight, asked her if she had a spare mirror to replace the one she, Starlight, had destroyed. Trixie had found the reason she discovered the mirror, fate itself presented it to her so that she may aid her best friend in their endeavor. Trixie laughed, 'Ha', and proudly presented the mirror to Starlight." Trixie sat upon her haunches. "And that is how The Great and Powerful Trixie found the mirror. Why do you ask?" Trixie asked the pair of purple ponies in front of her, the both of them writing on sheets of parchment.

"Pillar of fire... Mirror was found by itself... Anything else to note, Starlight?" Twilight asked.

"Nope, I think that's every important detail." Starlight stood to her hooves, Twilight doing the same. "Thanks, Trixie, the information you gave us was really helpful." She gave her friend a short hug and immediately cantered off. Twilight gave a Curt nod to Trixie and quickly followed after Starlight.

"Wait! You haven't told Trixie why you asked her about the mirror!" Trixie called after the two of them, her hoof extended. She gave a small sigh. "Don't forget about Trixie's show tomorrow! She still needs you for the sword in the box trick!" Trixie yelled after Starlight.

"I won't forget! See you later!" Starlight yelled back.

"That took less time than I thought it would," Twilight said.

"Yep, we still have ten minutes before we get to see Jason again. Well, I get to see him again, this will be your first time seeing him."

"In the meantime, we'll need to think up some questions to ask him. Like about that pillar of fire."

"She said that the fire went upwards, which means that the fire came from the mirror, and it apparently burnt a hole in foliage above it."

"She didn't say anything about the leaves or branches being burnt though. Maybe something else created the hole, either that or something made the hole after the fire."

"I guess we'll get our answers soon enough."

---~<P>~---

"You said you needed to show me something?" Davis asked as he sat down on the bunk next to Jason.

"Yeah." Jason looked to the clock, Ten fifty-nine. She'll be here any minute now. Jason looked down to his phone as he tapped away at his solitaire app. He sighed. "Leave it to me to not be able to lead up to something, nor be able to explain that something either."

"You are pretty shit at explaining things." Davis nodded.

"I swear to God, I will defenestrate you one of these days." Jason put his phone into his pocket. "Look, something's going to happen in almost a minute, and you would never believe me if I told you what exactly would happen-Let me finish." Jason put his hand up to keep Davis from interrupting. "Let it also be known that I don't know exactly what will transpire, I can only guess as to what's going to happen. So, in maybe a few seconds to a minute-" Jason was unable to finish as a pair of pale purple hooves planted themselves on his dresser, accompanied by a familiar face.

"Hey, Jason!" Starlight said, a friendly smile on her face.

"Or it could happen right now, that's cool too."

Author's Note:

Woo! Over 150 views!

So, be honest, did this chapter feel a tad rushed? I think so, but I'm probably a bad judge since I wrote the darned thing.

Here it is, republished and unchanged from it's previous upload... Sorry if I inconvenienced anyone.