• Published 21st Mar 2018
  • 432 Views, 1 Comments

Borderland: Friendship is futile - reddestreaction



Welcome to the Pandora Wastelands. After being left for dead by handsome jackal, you come to meet some interesting characters that will guide you on your way to greatness. Onward, Vault Hunter!

  • ...
 1
 432

aftermath

Warning Shot didn’t seem to mind if everyone hated them, she only cared that her brothers was left unharmed. She made it blatantly obvious when she told all those who threatened her to sit on her horn and spin, and if they weren’t grateful to have a place to stay for the night, that Mauler hadn’t been fed yet and she was more then willing to feed him now, before retiring for the night in the basement.

Sleeping in the Stronghold was damn near impossible. I just wasn’t used to the place and i also couldn’t sleep where we had slaughtered many. Most of the bandits that co-aside at the Stronghold Sternum still gives us dirty and fearful looks when we pass.

Eventually, i couldn’t stand it anymore and decided that som air was what i needed. And apparently, i wasn’t the only one.

For some strange reason, Mauler was not at his usual spot, allowing a gray pegasis to sit where he would. She looked up at the stars. She wing was in a sling, indicating that she wasn’t flying anytime soon.

“Strange, isn’t it?” she says. “ That they came back for us, i mean. They sold us off in the first place. So why did they rescue us?”

“They only sold you out of fear of Hyperion.” I justify.

“And who ain’t scared of Hyperion? Doesn’t make it right.”

“No, it doesn’t. That’s why they saved you. Why we saved you.”

She nods, her gaze returning to the stars.

“For somepony who ain’t afraid of fighting skags, bandits, badasses, diamond dogs and hyperion soldiers...Nothing made me feel more humiliated then that cage.” she says. “ I couldn’t do anything in that cage, nothing but accept my defeat.”

“How’d you get caught?”

“I had just got done with a mission to get some shock crystals when i saw the prettiest gems deeper in the cave. I was ecstatic to see them, but didn’t have the equipment to dig them up...so i went back to the town...only to be caught by Hyperion soldiers.” she sighs. “ They baited me in by holding a gun to a young colt. I had been putting up a fight until then, but i-”

“You did the right thing.” I nod.

“I know i did. But they didn’t keep true to their promise.” she spats. “Once i walked into the cage, the field went up and the gun went off…”

Tears filled her eyes, but she refused to let them escape, blinking. A slight sniffle was all she could manage, barely holding herself together.

“I never felt so pathetic. I couldn’t...there was nothing…”

I couldn’t think of anything to say. What could i say? I don’t think when i lost my parent or Secret Tale and her predicament is the same, so i might not be able to relate...even though i really want to. I wasn’t close enough to comfort her, either. So i sat awkwardly, saying nothing.

“I’m sorry.” she says. “Here i am, crying in front of a stranger. Talk about Pathetic.”

“No. Not at all.” I say, softly. “ Pandora is unkind sometimes. It’s times like these that we can be humane. Moments like these don’t come often enough.”

“Yeah.”

“Uh….I’m Vault Hunter.”

“Sapphire Scavenger.”

“Well….you’re not crying in front of a stranger anymore.” I try. She giggles, lightheartedly.

After the talk with Sapphire, i started to feel naked without my goggles. Secret Tale’s goggles. Sometimes it feels as if those goggles helped me see Pandora in a whole new light, see people for who they are and what they represent, just like she did. It felt...as if she was still here…

I shake my head at the thought.

Secret Tale is dead, and should stay that way.

“Looking for these?” Heart Throb asks, twirling my goggles with her hoof.She throws it up when i reach for them, Sky Skipper grabbing them and flying around.

“What’s so important about these anyway, what’s your deal?”

“It’s from a deceased friend.”

“Oh, i see.” Sky Skipper says, tossing them on the drowsy Moon Shadow. She takes them off and throws them, Daring catching them before they hit the ground. He motions me over but holds up my goggles when i reach for them, pulling back when i reach out for them.

“What was up with you out there?” he says.

“What are you talking about?” i say, frantically reaching for my goggles.

“You know exactly what i’m talking about.”

I press into him harder, reaching higher. But then i remembered that i was a unicorn...duh. I levitate my google out of his hoof, trying to pull back, but he holds me in place. His muzzles presses against my ear.

“You trust me, don’t you? Tell me what’s wrong.”

“It’s just, the last time i was over my head, i was the only one that survived.” I whisper, glancing at my goggles. Daring backs up a little, his hold weakening as his eyes softens.

“We’re for you now. The Doctor...Derpy...me...everypony else. So…” his voice breaks off. “Don’t go hiding off behind your goggles, kay? We are a team, practically family now.”

“O-okay.” I stammer.

“Ah, young love.” Heart Throb sighs.

“Get a room!” Sky skipper calls out, making fake gagging noises.

And for the second day of the night, i managed to utterly humiliated myself. It sounded like a plea more than anything. As if he was genuinely worried about me, even though we have barely known each other for a day. I wasn't obligated to tell him anything, have no reason to stay or trust anyone. If i wanted to leave, i could and no one could stop me…

Like family, he says. How can he use that term so loosely?

Opening Hyperion crates is like opening presents on Christmas. Some disappoint, others don’t. Tick tock and Doctor was the easiest to please, digging through the technology and remains of any loaders or buzzards we fought against.

They chattered excitedly, swapping ideas on what part should be used for what, what new inventions should be made, and so on.Venandi loved all the new Hyperion guns that we looted. Though out of ammo, she was more than happy to pawn them off for parts and loot in general.

Derpy had found little in the pile that interested her, trotting off to WyldStyle’s while the others looted. It was no fun watching others open presents.

I follow after her.

“We’re kidnapped for one day and the place falls apart,” sighs a yellow earth pony, trotting over to the back. Another pony, the palest purple i’ve ever seen went behind the counter, checking to see what she had lost in the liquor department, grumbling under her breath. A pink pony hopped skipped and jumped, seeming trying to look for any and all food.

A gunshot goes off in Derpy’s direction, causing her shield to go off to protect her. A whirlwind of bubble swirled around her then dispersed in one large blast, a hundred dozen of the bubbles popping at once.

The whole interior of the diner was squeaky clean, the odor of spilled and mixed alcohol passed. The floors now showed the natural redwood coloring and the counters now was clean enough to see your reflection. The bullet fired at Derpy landed on the ground, it being the only thing out of place at the moment.

The yellow pony held what looked like a pistol, picking up the bullet to reveal that it was only rubber.

“As much as i love getting my customers wet, don’t you think that could’ve been handled better?” Says the purple pony, blowing her wet mane out of her face.

“Hey, it got the job done.Speaking of jobs…” WyldStyle looks over at me. If you need any work Vault Hunter, you can come on down. I want to make it clear to these goddamn bandit clans, that i am a force to reckon with.”

“Ooh! Me too! Me Too!” says the pink pony, pouring cherry pie topping, sugar, whipping cream, and cinnamon into a bowl. “If you need any help, i can give you missions too!”

“Or if you want to learn something new, test your skills, or even just want a drink.” says the purple pony.”I’m your mare.”

“Uh...thanks.” i say.

“No, thank you.” they say in unison.

That night i dream of Secret Tale, her singing to what looks like some foal in her arms.

A green pony walks up, wrapping his arms around her. He nuzzles her and the foal. But then there was a flash, and then she was crying and he seemed to be missing an arm, the foal nowhere to be found.

Another flash happens and Secret tale storms into a village, killing ponies left and right, screaming for one stallion in particular. And when she found him, he cowered in fear and begged for forgiveness.

A shot goes off, blood splattering everywhere.
She walks away without a word, coat covered in blood.

I wake up in cold sweat, sitting up and trying to force air into my lungs.

Breath. It’s okay. Breath.