• Published 9th Mar 2018
  • 547 Views, 21 Comments

App-El Of Krypton - Spider-Mane Noir



One night, something unusual happens to Applejack, well more unusual than normal. Where did these abilities come from, and where did she come from?

  • ...
3
 21
 547

Storms and secret origins

“See yah Twi, Sunset!”, Applejack bid farewell to her friends as she headed home from school. The blond girl held her hat close to her head as the wind started to pick up and the sky above became overcast. A storm was brewing.

“Hoo-boy.” She muttered. “Maybe Ah shouldah gone with Big Mac earlier.”

Fortunately, the storm didn’t start until after Applejack got home, but once it did it poured with a vengeance.

Applejack had stayed late to help her friends work on the yearbook, so she wasn’t shocked that her brother had already been home for a couple of hours. What did surprise her was that her sister, Applebloom had yet to return.

“Hey Big Mac, didn’t Bloom get a ride with you?”

“Enope.”

“Huh… Maybe she’s out with her friends.”

Some time passed and by Seven, both siblings were starting to feel concerned. The heavy rainfall and wind made it almost impossible to see. Applejack was sitting on the couch near the window hoping to spot her sister. Her Grandmother walked into the living room folding an apron in her hands.

“Is Applebloom home yet? She ain’t called or nuthin’.”

“No Granny, she ain’t answerin’ her phone either and none of mah friends’ve seen her!” Applejack said peering out the window into the storm. “Where the hay is she?” she wondered.


Not five minutes later did she get her answer. Thanks to a bolt of lightning illuminating everything she Applebloom running towards the house covered in mud.Applejack breathed a sigh of relief… for about half a second.

Just as Applebloom was about to pass the last tree outside the house, the sky lit up once again. The tree lost its grip on the ground and gave in to the force of the wind. The entire bulk of it fell over toward Applejack’s sister.

“APPLEBLOOM!” she cried. Her younger sister threw her arms over her head and screamed as she braced for the impact. But it never came.

Applebloom looked up. Standing above her was Applejack, holding the tree up with her bare hands. Before either of them could say a word another bolt of lightning streaked across the sky. The remains of the tree trunk shattered to splinters as the electricity coursed through it. Applejack, however remained entirely unharmed.

The two sisters hurried indoors, soaked to the bone. As soon as they were inside, Big Mac scooped up Applebloom in a hug and refused to let go for several seconds. Granny Smith grabbed her granddaughters.

“Are yah both alright?” she asked, a look of concern etched into her face. When both girls nodded she continued. “Good. Now what in tarnation were yah doin’ out in the middle of a storm like this Applebloom?!”

“Sorry Granny, Ah was at the theater with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. When Ah left it hadn’t started rainin’ yet and Ah thought Ah could get here before it did.”

“Why didn’t yah answer yer phone?” asked Applejack. In response Applebloom held up her cell.

“The battery’s almost dead so Ah turned it off.” She said with a nervous grin.

“Well, it don’t matter none.” Said Granny Smith “Just so, long as yah don’t pull nothin’ like that again.”

“Eeyup.” Chimed in Big Mac.

“Okay.” Applebloom said lowering her head a bit. She then turned to her older sister. “Thanks for the save Applejack. That was really cool what yah did back there.”

“heh. Shucks, It was nothin’.” Applejack shrugged. “Ah couldn’t’ve done it without mah…” Her hand reached up to the gemstone she always carried with her, only to realize: she wasn’t wearing it. She’d taken it off when she got home.

“That ain’t right.” She muttered to herself, drawing the attention of the others. “Ah shouldn’t’ve been able tah do that without the gem.”

The more Applejack thought, the more inconsistencies jumped into her mind. That tree had been a good hundred feet from the house. How had she reached it so quickly. She’d never demonstrated speed like that before. In fact, she barely remembered leaving the house.

“How… How did Ah do that?”

Granny Smith opened her mouth as if to speak, but quickly seemed to reconsider. But, it wasn’t quite quick enough.

“Granny? Do yah know somethin’ about this?”

Applejack’s grandmother looked at the three siblings. And with a deep breath she spoke.

“Tomorrow, when the storm clears out, there’s somethin’ I gotta show yah. All three of yah.”

What followed was an awkward dinner with only the storm outside punctuating the silence. Afterwards, Granny went to sleep early, and the three siblings soon followed suit.

Applejack put her little sister to bed but found herself unable to sleep. She sat awake for what felt like days but was probably only few hours. She thought about contacting her friends, but Granny Smith had promised an explanation of some sort tomorrow. If that didn’t cast any light on things, then she’d talk to the others.


The next morning, Saturday, everyone in the Apple household was up before the sun rose. Applejack wanted to get down to business immediately, but Granny Smith insisted that they eat something first.

Everyone sat around the table, Big Mac helping himself to an enormous stack of pancakes and Applebloom a slightly smaller one. Applejack, however, wasn’t particularly hungry at the moment. After about 5 minutes of listening to the rest of her family chew she snapped.

“Ah can’t take it anymore!” she exclaimed, “Granny, you said yah had something’ to show us. Yah said it all serious-like, like it was somethin’ real important. Well what is it?”

Granny Smith rose from her seat. She motioned for the others to follow her and began walking. Applejack and the others followed, right out the door and into the barn.

“Uh, Granny?” inquired Applebloom, “what are we doin’ here?”

Rather than answer, the elderly woman turned to her eldest granddaughter.

“A long time ago, Ah promised yer parents Ah’d tell yah all about this when ya’ll where old enough…”

“Uh, Granny yah don’t need to tell me nuthin’ about that!” shouted Applejack, a terrified look on her face. Behind her, Big Mac turned beet red, and Applebloom just looked confused.

“Not that.” Granny Smith deadpanned, much to everyone’s relief. “Like Ah said, Ah promised to tell you this but with all the shenanigans whats been goin’ on lately ah sorta put it off. This is somethin’ that happened right about eighteen years ago now.”

“Buttercup was expectin’ her first baby and was due any day now. Yer Pa was practically explodin’ just from worryin’. They had everythin’ planned out for the big day. They were ready fer anything, ‘cept of course her kid had to go and pop out in the middle of the craziest blizzard in years. After a couple of hours Bright Mac and Buttercup had themselves a brand-new baby boy.”

“Wait a second Granny.” Interrupted Big Mac, “Ah thought Applejack and Ah were twins. Whaddya mean they only had a boy?”

“I’m gettin’ tah that. Just hold yer horses. Anyways, not to long after we heard a loud crashin’ sound from outside, like the whole dang barn had collapsed. The next mornin’ yer Pa went to check out the damage. Few minutes later he comes rushin’ back in. His face looked like he’d seen a ghost and his coat was off and wrapped around somethin’ in his arms.”

“What was it!” cried Applebloom.

“It was a baby girl, with blond hair. Yer Ma took one look at her and named her Applejack.”

“Wait, what?!” Applejack shouted, scaring some nearby chickens. “If Ah wasn’t born here, then where the hay did I come from?”

The oldest Apple walked over to the far corner of the barn and the others trailed behind. She pushed aside a large crate to reveal a hidden trapdoor. At her prompting Applejack lifted it up. Underneath was a metallic cylinder, about four feet long and two feet wide.

“Ya came from that.”

Author's Note:

Have you ever noticed how much Applejack and Superman have in common? Super strong orphans who grew up on farms and eventually joined a team of seven super-powered individuals? That can't be a coincidence.
Anyway, please let me know if you liked it. Let me know if you didn't like it. Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. :derpytongue2: